[Game Update] - Against the Grain (BETA 205256)

1 minute ago, erenkozakli said:

Hello , when this update come to the ps4 will we also need to start a new world ?

We don't know for the moment how Klei plan to allow us to add this in an existing world. It will depend i guess of the method involved, if it's or not possible on PS4. For the moment we don't know.

19 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Yeah, which I did not realise at first 'cos the Dragonfly greeted me RIGHT at the "door" of the other desert, so I couldn't get in far enough to see any cacti, before I took that picture and made my comment. : P  Also, there was a hound mound...RIGHT NEXT TO A TOUCHSTONE in that desert.  (Well, not _touching_ it.  Only a few tiles away.)

Wow!  Ever had the feeling that sometimes, worldgen is not only weird, but is actively trying to give you the middle finger? (laugh)  Wish I had taken a picture of it, but oh well...

However, then I deleted that world and started over--because I realised too late I'd forgotten to tweak the world settings the way I like, whoops--and found the most amazing thing:

Reveal hidden contents

rocklandwhoah.png

A huge, gigantic, enourmous, GLORIOUS rockland with absolutely nothing.  dangerous.  in it.  No spiders.  No tallbirds of any kind.  NOTHING.  Just some vultures, and they don't bug you unless you bug them.  (And no, I didn't turn down spiders or tallbirds in my worldgen settings.)  Lots and lots of rocks, gold, nitre and ice that you can mine in (almost) total peace.  Oh, AND there are beefalo near-but-not-TOO-near spawn.

...I think even Charlie thought the last world was a bit much, and is trying to make it up to me!  : P  Only I haven't seen the new Dragonfly desert yet...

ANYway.  I'm...neutral on this new update, so far.  I think it's awesome that something new _happens_ during summer, although kind of a shame it happens only in one place.  The succulents and a new-ish biome are both cool ideas...but would be better if we could _do_ more with them.  And I like that (one) desert finally seems more properly...deserty, as in the sand is SAND and not just the colour of the ground texture beneath you.  Last but not least, the goggles may do nothing, but they're ADORABLE.

But (a) why no tumbleweeds?  :( and (b)...why is the Antlion's DEFAULT state to be upset all the time, and you have to constantly give them presents to calm them down?!  : P  Are they just mad you wandered into their territory or depressed right now for some other reason, such as a bad breakup with the Dragonfly (You know how it is:  you get half the desert in the divorce, they get the other half, you can now only visit the lavae on the weekends...)

Seriously, lion-babe: _chill_. Whatever it is, it's gonna be all right!

...Notorious

Yet summer still has nothing for you to survive autumn XD. Maybe better armour for Mr BearBear?

Antlion really needs to be reworked. I don't want to come up from the caves every four days to give it a toy :[ I have just gotten used to spending summer in caves, feels so wasted right now since I might as well stay upstairs.

Although, I have never looked this tough in game, so that's a plus. 

20170205145044_1.jpg

• Like 19

Are you tired of being chased by monsters? Scared of your own shadows? Or you just need some peace? 

Proudly presenting the best solution: the Aperture Charlie Science Relaxation Park!

relaxation.jpg

Perfectly safe! With optional Calming Marble Trees! Unlimited uses! Easy to make! (Just kill a bee. The correct one.)

Apart of joke, this new emote just fits so well! :D

• Like 10

after playing the new update on several different servers i am a bit disappointed of it. 

i think the pond could be a little bit bigger, maybe even the biome around it could look different. several times things like seeds spawned on the pond and other stuff and turned into rot that you couldnt pick up.. make it look really bad. when you have a lot of people playing on the server it would be nice to know when the pond is kinda overfished so people can stop fishing and let it rest. it could be done by seeing small fishing swimming there or another visual effect, if the pond would be bigger it could have small flowers on it which would make it look more beautiful. also sinkholes could have different sizes around the antlion, antlion could make more different noises. 

maybe give us a new hat to craft with the different cactus, i like the idea of the healing salve as well. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, fimmatek said:

Are you tired of being chased by monsters? Scared of your own shadows? Or you just need some peace? 

Proudly presenting the best solution: the Aperture Charlie Science Relaxation Park!

relaxation.jpg

Perfectly safe! With optional Calming Marble Trees! Unlimited uses! Easy to make! (Just kill a bee. The correct one.)

Apart of joke, this new emote just fits so well! :D

That, is freakin' adorable.  And especially love that to _calm down_, she's sitting surrounded by EVIL flowers...and right near a skeleton...actually that all kinda fits Wendy pretty well.  (Especially going by my "proto-goth" theory.  : P)

However...shadows?  Monsters?  Try THE GROUND ITSELF, and there's nothing you can do about it!  _That's_ kind of hard to relax about--not that summer was all that relaxing in this game to begin with...Good thing I had full HP when the stupid Antlion whom I've _never even met yet_ decided to whack me in the middle of a birch forest!  Nice going, jerk!  You almost wrecked the Pig-King's place! 

(Or maybe that wasn't accidental...maybe they were _pretending_ to go after me so they could actually take out the other monarch, from afar?  COMING UP NEXT, ON STARVING THRONES...)

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2017 at 11:10 AM, Hobgoblino said:

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread, but smoldering won't happen to players inside the sandstorm. You can also use a desert stone to teleport to a channeled lazy deserter instead of having to use another lazy deserter, but that will break the desert stone (it's pretty cheap anyway, just 1 trinket to the antlion).

If the smoldering thing is confirmed that makes this whole update very much worth it imo

They warn you right ahead of time...but it does no good since--get this--_you can't outrun it_!  I was running when Willow said "The earth is crumbling!" or something similar, I was _still_ running when the actual sinkholes happened and they...got me anyway.  Now there are these broken-looking areas in the middle of the Pig King's birch forest and needless to say, it looks rather weird.

Maybe with a walking cane...?  But everybody knows that blankety-blank walrus can be super stingy when it comes to dropping his tusk...

Wait, here's another question:  Forget whether or not the player has encountered the Antlion by summer.  How the hell does the Antlion know about YOU?  To the point of even knowing your _exact location_ at any given moment?  It's like, "I've never seen this person but I'm SURE they've pissed me off!  Somehow!"

Seriously, somebody needs to get this creature some medication...although I _will_ say I admire their spy network.

...Notorious

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

They warn you right ahead of time...but it does no good since--get this--_you can't outrun it_!  I was running when Willow said "The earth is crumbling!" or something similar, I was _still_ running when the actual sinkholes happened and they...got me anyway.  Now there are these broken-looking areas in the middle of the Pig King's birch forest and needless to say, it looks rather weird.

That's because it happens around player, not in place where you got the warning. But yeah, appearing right under your feet shouldn't be a thing, I guess.

Yeah, I know, I was just a little annoyed that it happened under my feet _even though I was moving at the time_. Now, if it got you when you were standing still, I could see that.  Moving should allow you to evade at least _one_ of them, but no, all three sinkholes formed right where I happened to step.  Argh.

As for how the Antlion even knows about me...all I can figure out is, those stupid moles near my camp must be snitchin' on me.  Although, WHAT they're saying I don't know, 'cos it's not like I've been going around doing anti-lion or anti-ant activities...

...Notorious

• Like 4

In-universe* I don't think the Antlion's specifically targeting you. I think it's just more of the game's "If It's offscreen It's not real" logic, like how smoldering and earthquakes only happen near the player.

*I say "in universe" because obviously the Antlion game mechanic DOES specifically target you.

Edited by JellyUltra
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

In-universe* I don't think the Antlion's specifically targeting you. I think it's just more of the game's "If It's offscreen It's not real" logic, like how smoldering and earthquakes only happen near the player.

*I say "in universe" because obviously the Antlion game mechanic DOES specifically target you.

I have always assumed this was because Maxwell/Charlie is toying with you by sending earthquakes and fires specifically at you.

• Like 3

And, actually...funny you should bring that up, Jelly, because the smouldering thing was exactly one of the arguments _I_ was gonna use!  AGAINST!

Smouldering doesn't happen until you're there to see it.  Ergo, the Antlion shouldn't be triggered until you've seen IT at least once.  If other things in this game aren't real until they're on screen, then...why is it real here?  It shouldn't even activate until you've seen it.  And that's according to video game logic in general, not just Don't Starve--things don't happen until the _player_ makes them happen. The quest?  Isn't a thing, until you talk to that one NPC who gives it to you, and suddenly everyone's talking about it. That cutscene in which the princess gets kidnapped?  Can't happen until the party is in front of the correct castle gates, to _see_ it.  Sure, some games go against this and have things happen in a more real-timeish way, but by and large Don't Starve seems to usually go by the "player's presence makes the thing happen" logic.

Usually the game very much goes by the Strong Anthropic Principle, so...

Basically this is a bizzarre mix of unreasonable _and_ breaking the game's own unofficial "rules"--how can it be mad at you _when it hasn't even met you yet_?!  I'd be okay with the getting you from a distance stuff and the having to placate it every few days as another chore--well, no, I wouldn't be _okay_ with that, but I'd understand it better as a game mechanic--if only.  The timer didn't start.  Until.  It had.  A REASON!

Again, I reiterate:  Casual players aren't going to understand. They're just going to be like, "Why is the ground trying to kill me?"  They're going to feel like it's shenanigans that happened out of nowhere and...can't say I'd blame 'em. Some of them might even think the game as a _whole_ is this arbitrary and random, and be scared off!
(Okay yes, casual players, on default settings where you start always in fall, aren't likely to _get_ to summer.  But you know what I mean.)

I bet you anything, SOMEbody at Klei had to have thought of at least some of my arguments here, and been voted down.  I mean, it's not like, some super-edge case that's really hard to replicate.  There are MULTIPLE ways to run into this problem.  Such as:  People start in different seasons. They can have huge maps. (Do you know how far apart things are on a huge map?  It's ridiculous.  It can take you over a _week_ of solid travel to get to some places.)  They can play alone, with just them exploring _and_ doing the basic chores, so exploration goes way slower.  Etc.  Klei KNEW this.  It's right there in _their own game's world-gen settings_!

The volcano just erupts uncaringly, no matter what--but that's logical because _it's a volcano_.  It's not sentient--as far as we know.  But the Antlion is a living being with emotions, and emotions don't just happen on a schedule. They have _causes_. Specifically, emotions towards a person are usually caused, well..._by that person_.  At LEAST let the desperately-in-need-of-Prozac Antlion _meet_ the player first, so that they KNOW that there's someone out there who could be giving them presents but isn't...  (And if it magically knows, how.  Give us a lore reason.)

Sure, lots of us wanted Shipwrecked or at least parts of it in Together (including me)...but not necessarily THAT part!  : P

...Notorious

Smouldering doesn't happen until you're there to see it.  Ergo, the Antlion shouldn't be triggered until you've seen IT at least once.

Then what's the point of the Antlion even existing? Teleportation honestly isn't that useful with how close together everything is in the world, so I could just avoid the Antlion during summer and never have to deal with sinkholes.

Casual players aren't going to understand. They're just going to be like, "Why is the ground trying to kill me?"  They're going to feel like it's shenanigans that happened out of nowhere and...can't say I'd blame 'em. Some of them might even think the game as a _whole_ is this arbitrary and random, and be scared off!

If they've managed to make it to summer without looking at the wiki, then they can probably figure out what's causing sinkholes.

People start in different seasons. They can have huge maps.

As I've said before, if they're messing with the world settings they should be prepared for a challenge. The game was balanced around default settings, changing the settings messes with the balance.

They can play alone, with just them exploring _and_ doing the basic chores, so exploration goes way slower.

Except you can easily explore an outline of the entire map within the first 21 days. I also don't know what "basic chores" you're talking about, you can just plop down base structures after you've explored the map and picked a place.

At LEAST let the desperately-in-need-of-Prozac Antlion _meet_ the player first, so that they KNOW that there's someone out there who could be giving them presents but isn't.

I don't think the Antlion's specifically targeting you because you aren't "giving them presents". She's hungry (she eats rocks when you give them to her) so her solution is to throw a hissy fit, but she just happens to be so strong that said fit causes the ground to sink. And because DS logic, it only sinks around you.

• Like 1

I must agree here with JellyUltra. There is quite a lot time to explore, so it's not impossible to find the lion in time. Also, dying and restarting is the base element of this game, especially if one is a beginner and I don't think it's a problem that new players die to the Ant Lion (or anything else). I also died a lot of times at the beginning to hounds. I didn't know where did they come from or why, but after a time I realised I can fight them and they weren't (such) a problem anymore. This will be with the Ant Lion too, and I believe it was the case as the new Giants in RoG introduced were. People will get used to it. 

And we shouldn't forget that it's still a beta, which means that all these mechanics can be changed, and also that if someone plays the beta he should be aware of what's in it. Or at least be ready for surprises :) 

On 8. 2. 2017 at 4:09 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

Forget whether or not the player has encountered the Antlion by summer.  How the hell does the Antlion know about YOU?

Since it has the powers to cause seismic activity and whatnot and kind of lives underground I am pretty sure it is so badass it can detect footsteps and when someone is walking around n stuff.

As for why it doesn't target the other things in the world, well, you are kind of the only alien element in that little "paradise".