Any Ideas for the New Character?

Any Ideas for the New Character?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Do YOU want the new character to be from one of the DLCs?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't have an opinion
  2. 2. Do YOU want the character to be brand new?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't have an opinion
  3. 3. If you answered yes on question 2, would you like to draw, design, color your character and show it in the comments?

• Yes
    • No
    • I CAN'T DRAW
    • I answered Yes on Question 1 instead
  4. 4. If you answered yes to Question 1, which character would you like?

• Wagstaff
    • Wheeler
    • Wilba
    • Warbucks even if he doesn't exist anymore lol
    • Wilbur
    • Woodlegs
    • Walani
    • I answered yes on Question 2 instead

8 hours ago, minespatch said:

They could re-implement those gestalt amoeba assets. Maybe a person who has lost their identity like Charlie and uses the other players like a mirror of some sort?

I think a character who’s whole gimmick is copying other characters has potential to be a very fun and unique character. It’d be tricky to balance, though. Why play as anyone except the character who is literally every other character in one? Character mimicry aside, I think a gestalt-like character could be neat. I like the concept of a character who’s sanity is inverted (or just flips the sanity mechanic on its head in general), and there’s a lot of other unique stuff you could do (without having to give them their own crafting tab, which is great, the less crafting tabs the better).

14 minutes ago, goblinball said:

Character mimicry aside, I think a gestalt-like character could be neat

I wanted to reference the newer updates and the unmplemented features because I think all the unimplemented features could be put in like a jigsaw puzzle. 

Considering the lackluster nature of recent characters & character refreshes, I'd rather Klei just stick to improving the actual game at this point instead of wasting time creating characters with many flaws and boring gameplay that they'll inevitably have to refresh again into a slightly less boring character that perpetuates the cycle of disappointment.

13 hours ago, ShadowQueen said:

I enjoy Wortox as a character, the only problem is that he's a little broken OP, easy infinite food, healing, and you could travel faster as long as there is an easy soul source around, such as bats, butterflies and bees if not winter, and bosses give a lot of souls

In most situations, you can't travel faster. Collecting souls take time and are not always available - time that other characters could spend traveling. So unless you're jumping across the cave abyss, Wortox isn't particularly better with travel time.

His ability to eat souls has a good tradeoff.

The healing is a bit OP, yeah. Especially when you combo it with like Woodie's Moose form and try to take on the BQ. Super easy.

I kinda want to see Wheeler be added into the game. But I guess Walter already fills the role of a "explorer" type character.

However what I really want to see is a ship/sailing character. I'm not sure if Klei would add Woodlegs or someone brand new. I'm fine with both. However I want the character to have many sailing and ship related perks. Like new things you can build into the ship, a ship that goes faster and is more durable etc.

I always thought sailing has been a big headache and It would be nice to have a character which has the ability to sail and explore the sea earlier and faster, and have a easier time doing it compared to other characters.

My Idea for New character is base on moon and it's cycles. The closes moon is to full, the more power/abilities he/it gets. Also instead hats, he gets his own head slot to put gems into it's "mask" to power him up. He also can cast powerfull spells that can use only during specific moon phases, with few exceptions.

Origin: After defeat from hands of survivors and losing part of his power, "The Moon" creates a special body for himself on lunar island to infiltrate survivors group, learn their weaknesses and try to get info where they hide part of "The Moon" power, why they steal it and try to get it back. :)

17 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

A hunter/explorer character could be really fun. He could have perks like a gun or compass, be voiced by a bugle, and maybe take inspiration from stereotypical English explorers.

Oh, and he's also a greedy git.

*angry ragtime noises*

I think a great idea would be to add Wildeye Weston. He was mentioned in one of the Woodlegs quotes. He is closely associated with the sea as he is a pirate, which may be his distinguishing feature. He could improve his sanity while sailing, additional sanity from seafood, creating special buildings for ships. Also the sea theme in DST is still fresh. His name also begins with "W". He could turn into a skeleton, as Woodlegs originally should have. He could also possibly be in complete darkness a little more, which can refer to the fact that the pirates had bandages to get used to the dark

His short film could show how he parted with the Woodlegs or how they spent time together. What if Wildeye accidentally fell into a constant during Charlie's reign, and the main reason the Woodlegs got into Constant is Maxwell's suggestions to go where his friend get (But without specifying when).

I think that since the gun has been weighing for a long time, it can be shot

Spoiler

1831721573_.thumb.png.9cc13d17c0d60d0204f32a3a9faf27b0.png

772556836_.thumb.png.d5f1da9a00fbbfa0a255cd980056f787.png

205265049_.png.34cbccc6adae90335e27bf25df49e698.png

On 7/13/2021 at 4:52 PM, Ohan said:

definitely dont want another child :lol:

We have like 11 adults in the game (I included Wx) and we have like 4 children , Wortox and Wormwood are considered teens for me XD

Imo I want a girl child, majority (being 10) of the characters are men or boys, I never said I wanted Mr. Witherstone in the game, it just makes sense for him to added lore wise

3 hours ago, Deerclops Mika said:

additional sanity from seafood

This would be the case if I was in the game :lol:

Yay, another bland character to gather grass and twigs, collect hundreds of eyeballs, build a thulecite kingdom with cobblestone roads branching everywhere. Like we've always been doing for the past years.
Can't wait!
But to be honest, I hope I swallow my own words, I really hope Klei surprises me with something different... Sigh.

29 minutes ago, Kur0u said:

Yay, another bland character to gather grass and twigs, collect hundreds of eyeballs, build a thulecite kingdom with cobblestone roads branching everywhere. Like we've always been doing for the past years.
Can't wait!
But to be honest, I hope I swallow my own words, I really hope Klei surprises me with something different... Sigh.

Sounds like you really don't like this game

1 minute ago, BezKa said:

Sounds like you really don't like this game

After 1000 hours and a couple of breaks here and there it's getting a little stale. Is it too much to expect something new?

1 hour ago, Kur0u said:

Are we living in the same world? All the characters in Hamlet and onwards have been some of the best characters Klei has designed in the history of Don't Starve, each one has had something unique to them that really makes them stand out compared to the original cast in 2013-2014.

37 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Are we living in the same world? All the characters in Hamlet and onwards have been some of the best characters Klei has designed in the history of Don't Starve, each one has had something unique to them that really makes them stand out compared to the original cast in 2013-2014.

The best characters? Which characters from hamlet we have in don't starve together? How do they compare against Wolfgang, WX, Wickerbottom, Wendy, Wigfrid, hell even Webber nowadays. I see more Wes players than Walter if that's your opinion on best character. I guess we are living in different worlds after all. If you're happy with this content drip feeding that's on you. I really don't think we need another character if the best ones have already been created. I wish more effort was put into the world and the survival experience rather than another character whose will be doing the same tasks we've already been doing, over, and over again.

20 minutes ago, Kur0u said:

The best characters?

When I say best, I mean best designed. They have been the most interesting characters DS/T have gotten.

20 minutes ago, Kur0u said:

Which characters from hamlet we have in don't starve together?

I dont know why this matters, when I say Hamlet and onwards, I mean the new characters Hamlet and RoT-era have brought to their respective games.

Wormwoods downside forces you to seek out different healing methods than using food, Wheeler brings the dodge mechanic and the downside of less inventory slots which really forces you to manage your inventory more efficiently, DST Warly really shakes up crockpot foods and he brings interesting buffs to his teammates that are extremely useful, Walter flips sanity mechanics on their head and really gets you to play differently when dealing with insanity. I could go on and on.

If none of this is more interesting than "eat and get strong" and/or "eat gear and get more stats" to you. Then I dont think anything will make you happy.

3 hours ago, Kur0u said:

This isn't a universal experience. I personally avoid using cobblestone and thulecite in large amounts in my bases due to how it just isn't visually appealing to me, instead opting to build natural things all across the world, like uprooting a frog pond biome and turning it into a forest with different turf and plants and decor. If you try building different things than the kind that you've just said you're sick of, you'll have to naturally do different tasks to get the necessary resources: for the build I just mentioned, I've needed to have friends collect all the driftwood they see while I repeatedly dig up the berry bushes that endless mode regrowth places down, for example. If the kind of things you're building are getting stale, try getting a bit more creative! You'd be surprised what it's possible to build in this sandbox game.

2 hours ago, Kur0u said:

After 1000 hours and a couple of breaks here and there it's getting a little stale. Is it too much to expect something new?

I would like to say also that 1000 hours for a game you likely paid $15 or less for is an amazing deal. You've gotten more mileage out of this $15 game than most people do out of any triple-A $60 title.

On 7/13/2021 at 11:52 AM, minespatch said:

People are not really pleased with the direction of the game. Making a new character would take productive development time in perfecting the survival aspect or any other features they want to improve the gameplay.

characters aren't pokemon, they're not collectable gacha prizes, they're new mechanics that have to go hand in hand with the land itself. At the moment, we have enough characters to mess with.

People aren't happy with Wortox and winona. Maybe they need tweaking in the future. Sorry if I have to decline on your need to make dst into a gacha game.

Of all the characters to call out for "people aren't happy with" you pull out A) arguably the most powerful character in the game, Wortox and B) the strongest boss farmer in the game who's also fantastic at basing. The reaction to Webber, Wurt, or Maxwell seems a lot more obviously negative.

Archived