Any Ideas for the New Character?

Any Ideas for the New Character?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Do YOU want the new character to be from one of the DLCs?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't have an opinion
  2. 2. Do YOU want the character to be brand new?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't have an opinion
  3. 3. If you answered yes on question 2, would you like to draw, design, color your character and show it in the comments?

• Yes
    • No
    • I CAN'T DRAW
    • I answered Yes on Question 1 instead
  4. 4. If you answered yes to Question 1, which character would you like?

• Wagstaff
    • Wheeler
    • Wilba
    • Warbucks even if he doesn't exist anymore lol
    • Wilbur
    • Woodlegs
    • Walani
    • I answered yes on Question 2 instead

17 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I dont know why this matters, when I say Hamlet and onwards, I mean the new characters Hamlet and RoT-era have brought to their respective games.

Well it matters because you're spilling out on a don't starve together discussion. Saying we have the best designed characters in Hamlet is pointless.
I love wormwood and his design. Warly is fun but Walter is really just a watered down Wilson with a dog, nothing much than that.

3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

This isn't a universal experience. I personally avoid using cobblestone and thulecite in large amounts in my bases due to how it just isn't visually appealing to me, instead opting to build natural things all across the world, like uprooting a frog pond biome and turning it into a forest with different turf and plants and decor. If you try building different things than the kind that you've just said you're sick of, you'll have to naturally do different tasks to get the necessary resources: for the build I just mentioned, I've needed to have friends collect all the driftwood they see while I repeatedly dig up the berry bushes that endless mode regrowth places down, for example. If the kind of things you're building are getting stale, try getting a bit more creative! You'd be surprised what it's possible to build in this sandbox game.

I would like to say also that 1000 hours for a game you likely paid $15 or less for is an amazing deal. You've gotten more mileage out of this $15 game than most people do out of any triple-A $60 title.

My current world is close to 5 thousand days old. I built pretty much everything I could have, believe me. After spending not just $15 but well over $150 buying the characters and cosmetics because I always felt like supporting its progress the only way I could. I love the game, not the other way around. Seeing this stagnant road of sad character refreshes and the creation of more bottom tier characters is heartbreaking. And you're right, it was an amazing deal. This high mileage drained it all out of fuel.

1 hour ago, JaxckLl said:

arguably the most powerful character in the game, Wortox

not even close guille wrote an entire essay on the matter in these forums but ill just kinda summarize it in my own words (from what i got there were a lot of words there)

1.soul hopping is barely faster than running regularly if you add the time it took to get that soul in the first place and even then there isn't much use to it other than crossing gaps in caves
2.takes a lot of food intake and souls don't satiate it enough
3.his healing isn't op since you can take a shovel and go ham into blue mushroom forest/ kiting can remove the needs for heals(tho this is for more advanced players who've wasted their li- i mean put time and dedication into mastering their craft which i have not)

4. while hes better for a team point 3 still applies to the top
and much more im too lazy to right he definitely isn't one of the worst hes just balanced

as for winona there are better alternatives to her catapults

and last point most of the negative reactions to webbers reworks were bugs that have now been mostly fixed wurt was iffy tho i love her i can see why people differ as she has some bugs to her that are yet to be fixed and maxwell i don't know who doesn't like him i mean like its goddamn maxwell gaming

1 hour ago, Kur0u said:

Walter is really just a watered down Wilson with a dog, nothing much than that.

h-how? if you wanna say someone is a watered down wilson i could get wolfgang but not walter he has unique mechanics to him that revolve around kiting and punishing the player for getting hit his dog and his tent helps suggest trying to do a nomad play style for new players

wolfgang is eat food do big damage 

no eat food do small damage

and loses more sanity to monsters

i don't get how you can compare wilson with walter

1 hour ago, Kur0u said:

more bottom tier characters

so a character must be op to be fun? and when you do you bring up wx who when isn't overcharged hes just wilson but with higher stats which isn't too good and relys on rng to be shocked or needs auntie wicker to help him and then you also bring up wicker who isn't too good because most of her stuff has better alternatives 

5 hours ago, Kur0u said:

Yay, another bland character to gather grass and twigs, collect hundreds of eyeballs, build a thulecite kingdom with cobblestone roads branching everywhere. Like we've always been doing for the past years.
Can't wait!
But to be honest, I hope I swallow my own words, I really hope Klei surprises me with something different... Sigh.

this just in: try something new

2 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

This isn't a universal experience. I personally avoid using cobblestone and thulecite in large amounts in my bases due to how it just isn't visually appealing to me, instead opting to build natural things all across the world, like uprooting a frog pond biome and turning it into a forest with different turf and plants and decor. If you try building different things than the kind that you've just said you're sick of, you'll have to naturally do different tasks to get the necessary resources: for the build I just mentioned, I've needed to have friends collect all the driftwood they see while I repeatedly dig up the berry bushes that endless mode regrowth places down, for example. If the kind of things you're building are getting stale, try getting a bit more creative! You'd be surprised what it's possible to build in this sandbox game.

I always tell this to my friends when they say the game gets boring, try something other than vanilla solo world #34690342

18 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

some days I wonder why I even bother

Did you know that being snide doesn't really help to convey your perspective?

@Cheggf Any character that can reliably solo Klaus with minimal prep is a powerful one in my book. That, and being able to safely rush the ruins is why I say Wortox is one of the more powerful characters. He can go straight for late game content since a lot of the elements you spend the early game preparing for are baked into his character. Does he have the same output as Wolfgang or Warly? No, but he's faster & more flexible. Is he as fast as WX or Woodie? No, but his teleport tends to cancel out that speed difference when in the caves. I would agree with your assessment that he is mechanically fair, neither particularly over powered nor particularly underpowered. However this is why he is so relatively good, since most of the roster is significantly underpowered or very rigid & situational.

Wortox's biggest downside to my mind is that he generates souls from Bees, Butterflies, & Spiders. This often makes being on the surface around other players a literal nightmare since there's too many souls dropping everywhere. Ironically it's the Grumble Bees dying that makes Bee Queen a challenging fight for Wortox. Like Wormwood chopping trees, it's just a nuisance to do an otherwise basic activity. Your assessment of Wortox being exceptional in the early game completely matches my experience, but once I'm basing I'd rather swap to a resource gatherer like Woodie or a base builder like Winona. Wortox is strong because he sets you up extremely well for when the Celestial Portal becomes active.

Also he's fantastic in larger multiplayer games or with specific character partners. Wormwood is probably his strongest partner, since as a pair they can rush the ruins day 1 and go for a Moon Caller Staff on first full moon. Wigfrid also works very well since their group helping abilities overlap nicely. Wolfgang of course, since Wolfy can take hits like a champ and Wortox can leave all the forage for his partner. Wendy can be quite a good partner as well, provided each player focuses on different tasks (such as Abigail farming bees while Wortox rushes the Ruins). Wortox is one of those characters that can always be contributing regardless of the skill of the player. That being said, he is a complex character that can be difficult to play well since you need to be using his abilities constantly to justify the choice.

8 minutes ago, Sunset_Liddel said:

now that i think about maybe they could bring one of thoses unimplementd characters from ds like they did with wortox i would love to see Waverly

I had an idea a while back for a "Three Crones" boss fight that involved three different witches/hags throwing out a variety of attacks. The new character I'd imagined as one of their daughters or a lost fourth crone that hadn't been corrupted by Charlie. Each of the crones would be on a different island and you'd have to fight each of them solo before being able to do the triple fight and get the actual rewards. Another way to recycle the concept would be to frame the three crones (and the new character) as members of the ancient race that originally built the Constant reborn in human form.

22 minutes ago, JaxckLl said:

Any character that can reliably solo Klaus with minimal prep is a powerful one in my book.

i don't like that measurement because it really doesn't quantify how good a character is since its one small aspect of the game and only favours combat characters who usually fall flat in other regards of the game even then wortox doesn't seem to do it much faster than any other characters

1 minute ago, Dextops said:

i don't like that measurement because it really doesn't quantify how good a character is since its one small aspect of the game and only favours combat characters who usually fall flat in other regards of the game even then wortox doesn't seem to do it much faster than any other characters

Of course it's not the only metric. However I strongly feel that it's important to consider how good a character is with the Giants (Bearger, Deerclops, Moose/Goose), Dragonfly, Klaus, and most importantly Bee Queen. These surface boss fights have really good loot and are ones you will be doing numerous times throughout a playthrough. A character that excels at one or all of these fights is just going to be able to provide more for their team. I don't like traditional tiering systems (they tend to be highly arbitrary), I prefer to use a simplified "Powerful", "Useful", "New Player Friendly", "Needs Work". Wortox hovers between Powerful & Useful, but in my experience he's so flexible that "Useful" doesn't really quite cover how strong that character can be.

27 minutes ago, JaxckLl said:

Any character that can reliably solo Klaus with minimal prep is a powerful one in my book. That, and being able to safely rush the ruins is why I say Wortox is one of the more powerful characters.

Last time I was on a public server I was running around as Wes and saw the deer & bag next to eachother so I decided to fight him with no preparation at all, and killed him. Everyone can kill the easiest spawned boss with minimal prep and everyone can safely rush the ruins with minimal prep.

I already said he's good for newer players who have trouble fighting and healing, your comment isn't going against mine.

4 minutes ago, JaxckLl said:

Of course it's not the only metric. However I strongly feel that it's important to consider how good a character is with the Giants (Bearger, Deerclops, Moose/Goose), Dragonfly, Klaus, and most importantly Bee Queen. These surface boss fights have really good loot and are ones you will be doing numerous times throughout a playthrough. A character that excels at one or all of these fights is just going to be able to provide more for their team. I don't like traditional tiering systems (they tend to be highly arbitrary), I prefer to use a simplified "Powerful", "Useful", "New Player Friendly", "Needs Work". Wortox hovers between Powerful & Useful, but in my experience he's so flexible that "Useful" doesn't really quite cover how strong that character can be.

problem is that not much changes except one character kills a boss 4 minutes faster and then make farms for these bosses so they never really need to touch them again or they aren't worth farming so combat characters lose some versatility 

5 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Last time I was on a public server I was running around as Wes and saw the deer & bag next to eachother so I decided to fight him with no preparation at all, and killed him. Everyone can kill the easiest spawned boss with minimal prep and everyone can safely rush the ruins with minimal prep.

I already said he's good for newer players who have trouble fighting and healing, your comment isn't going against mine.

That's an irrelevant argument. "Every character can win every fight" is not a defence against arguments that factor on the performance of a character's unique mechanics. By that line of logic, every character might as well be Wilson and not have any unique mechanics.

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

problem is that not much changes except one character kills a boss 4 minutes faster and then make farms for these bosses so they never really need to touch them again or they aren't worth farming so combat characters lose some versatility 

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. Could you explain what you mean a little more please?

5 minutes ago, JaxckLl said:

That's an irrelevant argument. "Every character can win every fight" is not a defence against arguments that factor on the performance of a character's unique mechanics. By that line of logic, every character might as well be Wilson and not have any unique mechanics.

You said that anyone who can kill an easy boss with no preparation is good, I said everyone can do that, now you're upset at your own statement. Wortox has nothing to speed the fight up unlike Wendy, Wolfgang, Wigfrid, and Warly, he only has the healing, so he's only helpful if you get hit and even if you do get hit he's only saving a little prep time in preparing healing items. That's not overpowered. He doesn't need to be nerfed. There's nothing wrong with him.

2 minutes ago, JaxckLl said:

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. Could you explain what you mean a little more please?

what im trying to say is that bosses like bearger shouldn't be killed bosses like bee queen can easily be farmed bosses like deerclops don't really need to be killed and bosses like moose goose melt easily and a damage multiplier or easy heals doesn't matter much when any character can go to blue mushroom forests dig up everything and leave so combat characters don't have as much as an impact as some others have tho they aren't bad in any means they aren't stellar either

Only character I have an issue with is Walter.

Please Klei, no more Walters.

He's so meh. He is the epitome of meh.

Protection from sanity? Meh.

A range weapon that's meh. Meh.

He can restore group sanity if they all stand still? Meh.

Extra inventory? Meh.

Missing eyebrow? Meh. 

Wes probably contributes more to a group.

1 minute ago, HowlVoid said:

Only character I have an issue with is Walter.

Please Klei, no more Walters.

He's so meh. He is the epitome of meh.

Protection from sanity? Meh.

A range weapon that's meh. Meh.

He can restore group sanity if they all stand still? Meh.

Extra inventory? Meh.

Missing eyebrow? Meh. 

i would prefer wheeler over walter but oh welll...guess he does the job somewhat well too

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

You said that anyone who can kill an easy boss with no preparation is good, I said everyone can do that, now you're upset at your own statement. Wortox has nothing to speed the fight up unlike Wendy, Wolfgang, Wigfrid, and Warly, he only has the healing, so he's only helpful if you get hit and even if you do get hit he's only saving a little prep time in preparing healing items. That's not overpowered. He doesn't need to be nerfed. There's nothing wrong with him.

Where did you get the idea that I'm advocating for Wortox nerfs? Where did you get the idea that I'm upset? You're the one making bad faith arguments.

4 minutes ago, Dextops said:

what im trying to say is that bosses like bearger shouldn't be killed bosses like bee queen can easily be farmed bosses like deerclops don't really need to be killed and bosses like moose goose melt easily and a damage multiplier or easy heals doesn't matter much when any character can go to blue mushroom forests dig up everything and leave so combat characters don't have as much as an impact as some others have tho they aren't bad in any means they aren't stellar either

Thank you for clarifying. That's actually quite a good point. While I don't completely agree, I do see the wisdom to that argument. 

Where did you get the idea that I'm advocating for Wortox nerfs? Where did you get the idea that I'm upset? You're the one making bad faith arguments.

You are arguing against me when my entire position is that new players think he's overpowered but experienced players know he isn't. Next time you feel like getting into an argument with someone you should read what they said before doing so.

And if any argument here is bad faith it's you ignoring the entire comment and only responding to the end where I say he doesn't need to be nerfed. You've ignored everything everyone's said, really.

1 minute ago, Cheggf said:

You are literally arguing against me when my entire position is that new players think he's overpowered but experienced players know he isn't. Next time you feel like getting into an argument with someone you should read what they said before doing so.

A point to which I agreed? People on this forum have a real bad habit of picking out one line and not reading the whole text of another's response.

A point to which I agreed? People on this forum have a real bad habit of picking out one line and not reading the whole text of another's response.

You mean like when you ignored the entirety of my comment and only cared about me saying he doesn't need to be nerfed, so you could somehow say that that's "bad faith"?

8 minutes ago, Sunset_Liddel said:

walter had protection from sanity drain items? why did they remove that?

Because the sanity drain items are magical items. Walter isnt immune to the effects of magical items like Dark Swords, Night Armor and the Enlightened crown, so they still affect his sanity.

I think Wortox is decently balanced.

His downsides are very... persistent, even in the end, end game, where most characters balance out. 

I think the strongest perk of his is his ability to "dodge", but Im not sure as this aspect is broken on console. 

45 minutes ago, Sunset_Liddel said:

walter had protection from sanity drain items? why did they remove that?

Its was a bug. Sad times. I'd argue his "bravery"/obliviousness should apply to those items too. Unless there's a lore reason.

36 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Because the sanity drain items are magical items. Walter isnt immune to the effects of magical items like Dark Swords, Night Armor and the Enlightened crown, so they still affect his sanity.

But think about it. 

Maxwell kind of says, its an armor made of nightmares. Wouldn't making it out the nightmare creatures, which have an insanity aurora, be the cause for the sanity loss. Hence giving Walter his immunity to them? I don't know about staves though, they could theoretically need sanity (brain power) to function.

i feel like this got kinda out of hand whit the discsuing of wortox but here anyways a bit more on topic

you know the only time we even hear about the new character was from the roadmap and then no words about the new character at all no hits or anything so i make the theory now that klei secretly wants to see our ideas first so they can use those ideas and do something more whit all those ideas that may have been put to those forums before or in this one

Archived