Any Ideas for the New Character?

Any Ideas for the New Character?  

246 members have voted

1. 1. Do YOU want the new character to be from one of the DLCs?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't have an opinion
  2. 2. Do YOU want the character to be brand new?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't have an opinion
  3. 3. If you answered yes on question 2, would you like to draw, design, color your character and show it in the comments?

• Yes
    • No
    • I CAN'T DRAW
    • I answered Yes on Question 1 instead
  4. 4. If you answered yes to Question 1, which character would you like?

• Wagstaff
    • Wheeler
    • Wilba
    • Warbucks even if he doesn't exist anymore lol
    • Wilbur
    • Woodlegs
    • Walani
    • I answered yes on Question 2 instead

Klei should make the game itself more interesting so that we can enjoy its challanges as any character, instead of trying to create a new character that will make the current gameplay loop less boring.

Especially since the loop hasn't changed at all since Walter's release.

1 minute ago, Dr.Medic said:

i feel like this got kinda out of hand whit the discsuing of wortox but here anyways a bit more on topic

you know the only time we even hear about the new character was from the roadmap and then no words about the new character at all no hits or anything so i make the theory now that klei secretly wants to see our ideas first so they can use those ideas and do something more whit all those ideas that may have been put to those forums before or in this one

if they are looking at these hell holes of forums they aren't gonna get much good ideas except froma few

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

if they are looking at these hell holes of forums they aren't gonna get much good ideas except froma few

i mean if this here is called "any ideas for the new character?" i soupose it has a bigger chance of someone lookin i mean i put in my ideas in here so theres that and then suddenly this wortox talk happens so you could say its indeed an "hellhole"

2 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

this just in: try something new

I always tell this to my friends when they say the game gets boring, try something other than vanilla solo world #34690342

My goodness, why didn't I think of that. Your big brain juice must be oozing out of your skull with an argument like that huh. Have you ever considered people having, not choosing, to play vanilla on consoles you door knob.

1 hour ago, Kur0u said:

My goodness, why didn't I think of that. Your big brain juice must be oozing out of your skull with an argument like that huh. Have you ever considered people having, not choosing, to play vanilla on consoles you door knob.

non-vanilla doesn't mean modded, thanks for the insults

4 hours ago, Kur0u said:

wow insulting Guille was 100% not necessary 

Haven't read the whole threat yet, this isnt my idea either but i wanted to post it here since its a damn cool idea:

Gestalt/nightmare creature hybrid.

Theyd be an outcast from both groups so hostility from both would be retained. I personally would like to see them have proficiency in magic, as currently only maxwell has magic proficiency, and he uses it to gather logs and rocks. Also his combat minions suck.

edit: yikes lmao

3 hours ago, Baark0 said:

Gestalt/nightmare creature hybrid.

I think this could be a neat idea. The first gimmick that comes to mind for me is a transformation depending on sanity, like perhaps low sanity the character could be a nightmare and high sanity it could be a gestalt. I’m not sure what the perks of these forms could have, but I think a character having different abilities and play styles the player would switch between has lots of potential, and I think a character much more focused on sanity management and manipulation would be very fun, as right now the only character I can think of that gives sanity any significance is willow with the whole Bernie thing (I know maxwell loses max sanity for each shadow clone, but I don’t think anyone really cares about the max sanity cost, it’s just kinda there and only impactful if you are using the right combo to stay at a max of 0 sanity). The biggest problem I can think of with a gestalt/nightmare character is that there’s not much you could do in the skins department, seriously try to imagine what a forge or snow fallen skin for a giant white/black ghost could be. I’ll wait.

Also if names are a concern this hypothetical character HAS to be named Wisp, you CANNOT name it anything else.

9 hours ago, goblinball said:

I think this could be a neat idea. The first gimmick that comes to mind for me is a transformation depending on sanity, like perhaps low sanity the character could be a nightmare and high sanity it could be a gestalt. I’m not sure what the perks of these forms could have, but I think a character having different abilities and play styles the player would switch between has lots of potential, and I think a character much more focused on sanity management and manipulation would be very fun, as right now the only character I can think of that gives sanity any significance is willow with the whole Bernie thing (I know maxwell loses max sanity for each shadow clone, but I don’t think anyone really cares about the max sanity cost, it’s just kinda there and only impactful if you are using the right combo to stay at a max of 0 sanity). The biggest problem I can think of with a gestalt/nightmare character is that there’s not much you could do in the skins department, seriously try to imagine what a forge or snow fallen skin for a giant white/black ghost could be. I’ll wait.

Also if names are a concern this hypothetical character HAS to be named Wisp, you CANNOT name it anything else.

Yep, Wisp would be a perfect name. Skins honestly shouldnt be the main concern when creating a character, but here's a couple options:

Magmatic: maybe replace some parts of their body with flames

Gladiator: just give em war paint

Snowfallen: maybe go for something similar to moonrock pengulls, or just put icicles on their body

Not impossible to make sins, a tad difficult maybe

Despite the alleged hateful masses against Wortox and Winona, I think they were great additions. I believe all latecomers were. Wurt, Walter and Winona are the only "Never seen before" additions to the game but they are great in spicing up the experience. New characters aren't just new additions, they are whole events, they bring attention, media presence, more sales, more revenue, more skin sets, more lore, more interactions to the game; I wouldn't wanna be bombarded by them but getting a new character every year or two would go a long way to be one of the bloodlines of the game- they will never just release QoL after QoL, that's just not a profitable model and could signal the slow death of the game. We already have only 5 reworks left so occasional new characters will be a way to fill that gap once all reworks are done in possibly 2023. 

However for the next characters, I'd personally prefer seeing returning faces, be it from singleplayer DLCs or unused content, preferably Warbucks. I think it's the best game design when they can refurbish an old character or concept well rather than making something brand new. People love quoting JoeW in that one discord comment or his comment on Newhome designs about desiners prefering their own designs than repurposing old design ideas but that's just one person's opinion at the end of of the day, which tend to be fickle and there are always some great gems besides that feeling of familiarity in the abandoned. A mixed route would be the best way to approach it imo, such as the whole 2021 roadmap which is perfectly supplying bloodline into the game; content updates, character refreshes, seasonal events, new characters,  familiar faces, QoLs... A mixed bag of all would provide the needed longevity and expansion to this game we all love.

Also here's the current player data on the characters. Both Winona and Walter are in good spots unlike what the forums and discord might make you believe at times. After all they are all ecochambers that either repeat the same idea or overrepresent loud minority opinions.

2020-07-17.thumb.png.4de16b0513b7953b3d5921391a58d9bf.png

2 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Or 2030 :-D

Year of the Varg V2. Maybe then we'll finally get a verdant skin for all 26 Survivors we'll have then :3

But looking at their precedence, it feels like we're blowing through reworks with the speed of sound:

• 2019: 4 Reworks- Winona, Willow, Warly, Woodie
  • 2020: 2 Reworks- Wendy, Wigfrid
  • 2021: 3 Reworks- Wes, Webber, [TBA]

I'd be surprised if 2023 doesn't end up being the year where the reworks end, hopefully they do extend it further with even newer concepts and tweaks, perhaps through the latecomers and singleplayer exclusive characters. Character refreshes have been a very welcome type of updates besides the content updates, DLCs, Events and QoLs

14 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Despite the alleged hateful masses against Wortox and Winona, I think they were great additions. I believe all latecomers were. Wurt, Walter and Winona are the only "Never seen before" additions to the game but they are great in spicing up the experience. New characters aren't just new additions, they are whole events, they bring attention, media presence, more sales, more revenue, more skin sets, more lore, more interactions to the game; I wouldn't wanna be bombarded by them but getting a new character every year or two would go a long way to be one of the bloodlines of the game- they will never just release QoL after QoL, that's just not a profitable model and could signal the slow death of the game. We already have only 5 reworks left so occasional new characters will be a way to fill that gap once all reworks are done in possibly 2023. 

However for the next characters, I'd personally prefer seeing returning faces, be it from singleplayer DLCs or unused content, preferably Warbucks. I think it's the best game design when they can refurbish an old character or concept well rather than making something brand new. People love quoting JoeW in that one discord comment or his comment on Newhome designs about desiners prefering their own designs than repurposing old design ideas but that's just one person's opinion at the end of of the day, which tend to be fickle and there are always some great gems besides that feeling of familiarity in the abandoned. A mixed route would be the best way to approach it imo, such as the whole 2021 roadmap which is perfectly supplying bloodline into the game; content updates, character refreshes, seasonal events, new characters,  familiar faces, QoLs... A mixed bag of all would provide the needed longevity and expansion to this game we all love.

Also here's the current player data on the characters. Both Winona and Walter are in good spots unlike what the forums and discord might make you believe at times. After all they are all ecochambers that either repeat the same idea or overrepresent loud minority opinions.

2020-07-17.thumb.png.4de16b0513b7953b3d5921391a58d9bf.png

wow...so many w e n d y 

4 minutes ago, Sunset_Liddel said:

wow...so many w e n d y 

spawning in whit literaly instand protection from pretty much any small anoyances realy is something for new players what sourprises me is that there are more wilsons then some other characters

1 minute ago, Dr.Medic said:

spawning in whit literaly instand protection from pretty much any small anoyances realy is something for new players what sourprises me is that there are more wilsons then some other characters

suprised people play more willow than maxwell

On 7/13/2021 at 2:58 PM, Guille6785 said:

I have never seen anyone dislike wortox, he's a perfectly designed character imo

He's a great character, but there's a few balance anomalies, like how he can easily farm up souls from stuff like butterflies, effectively turning them into 24 health 5~ hunger, or 24~ hunger -5 sanity.

24 hunger, or 24 health for the effort of standing on a flower and holding ctrl+f is kinda nuts, but you can just as easily get souls from so many other farmable or easy to kill enemies, not to mention being able to get invincibility frames when teleporting. If anything, I would like it if he could get a slightly nerfed drop soul effect when killing lesser enemies, maybe remove the soul drop from stuff like Butterflies.

Also, 200 health?! I don't understand why in the hell Wortox would ever need 200 health, he already has enough healing and invincibility to make him an easy pick for surviving combat.

Dunno why he needs all that bonus health, compared to someone like Wheeler who ended up being nerfed after I pointed out that a character whose main perk is the ability to do a invincibility dodge roll would probably work better with a low health downside, she didn't need 150 health.

28 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Also, 200 health?! I don't understand why in the hell Wortox would ever need 200 health, he already has enough healing and invincibility to make him an easy pick for surviving combat.

^this

it breaks how small characters work unless imps are stronger than humans even the kid ones

31 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

He's a great character, but there's a few balance anomalies, like how he can easily farm up souls from stuff like butterflies, effectively turning them into 24 health 5~ hunger, or 24~ hunger -5 sanity.

24 hunger, or 24 health for the effort of standing on a flower and holding ctrl+f is kinda nuts, but you can just as easily get souls from so many other farmable or easy to kill enemies, not to mention being able to get invincibility frames when teleporting. If anything, I would like it if he could get a slightly nerfed drop soul effect when killing lesser enemies, maybe remove the soul drop from stuff like Butterflies.

Dunno why he needs all that bonus health, compared to someone like Wheeler who ended up being nerfed after I pointed out that a character whose main perk is the ability to do a invincibility dodge roll would probably work better with a low health downside, she didn't need 150 health.

Why are you comparing a character who has iframes at the cost of a soul which could be better spent recovering more health than you lost getting hit and a character who has iframes for free? Wortox's dodge is really bad and only arguably maybe useful in a few very niche scenarios. You're practically always better off trying to dodge normally instead since you'll both get more value out of each soul and not use so many souls.

Also, why is this thread everyone arguing about Wortox? It's supposed to be about new character ideas.

Archived