[Spaced Out! Update] - 459378

@Ipsquiggle To make every classic player happy please consider to add an world generation setting option to deactivate the teleporter(s) spawn(s) and, if possible and this option is selected, add the proposed 2nd tele spawn resources to the 1st big map. This hopefully will make respected players like @aresd happy...dear Klei :-P

"...We're also turning our attention back towards rockets..."

Can you please make it that rockets fly the full flight path ? In the previous dlc update the rockets launch and then disappear after flying upwards for a certain tile amount. The rockets do not fly their entire path in the map, contrary to the old base game. They lift off and then suddenly warp away.

The issue is described here, with screenshots.

Edited by babba
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Gassy Mooteor showers have begun falling on the Gassy Moo moonlet

What I must do to trigger them? I watch the surface of the moo moonlet for several cycles, nothing happens...

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

Today's update to the public testing branch brings our first wave of fixes in this quality-of-life-focused phase of Spaced Out!'s development. We've been playtesting the game, sorting through feedback, and furiously typing and drawing.

Are we already in the final phase where it is readying for release or is this just a "pass to refine before we move onto other things"

26 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

Are we already in the final phase where it is readying for release or is this just a "pass to refine before we move onto other things"

(radioactive:confused:) regolith :confused::confused::confused: + genetics toyland :confused: + more world generation stuff

...others may have some additional information on things coming for the dlc :confused: ...or what they still expect from Klei :confused:

Happy weekend everyone :beguiled:

Edited by babba

5 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

In this update, we're adding a large, resource-rich starting asteroid that supports the classic "big base" experience. Additionally, we're putting in a Forest-start Spaced Out! style cluster.

You just had to add two different starts in one update didn't you; decisions are hard. 

1727374501_SLR500x500.jpg.f315a8c75768a8a1562470884ecef23e.jpg

Classic vs. new Forest . . .  I'm looking forward to trying both.

• Like 3
  • GL Happy 1

the new forest biome gets 2 extra geysers, one covered and one open.  can we get this added to the terra/swamp starts?  and the cobalt volcanoes on forest start has broken names

on the makeup of forest start, the nuclear asteroid/planetoid is pretty bland being so large with 3 biomes.  could you guys move/add another biome to it?  on the other hand, the oil asteroid/planetoid has so much going on.  the starting asteroid getting dreckos makes it a fairly simple start too, what with 2 slush geysers

image.png.e4f03472d3eee0dd70d070eb4efaa5ed.pngthe first/main asteroid for the forest start.  the sulfur geyser was the rando one for me

the classic/vanilla terra start doesn't have any covered geysers for the two times i started on the map.  just 2 csv, 1 sw geyser, 2 nat gas, and 1 oil res.  the nuclear asteroid also lacked any metal volcanoes, the tungsten/iron/niobium volcanoes all spawned though

image.png.0a77bf8b2531137e1defb10ca8e251ba.png - vanilla terra nuclear moonlet

3 minutes ago, zach123b said:

the first/main asteroid for the forest start.  the sulfur geyser was the rando one for me

Can I ask... is the sulfur geyser guaranteed on the teleporter planet like it is in the other starts?

image.png.20644fa299b1701685660177e21752af.png

These are the geysers I got on my forest start, and I'm contemplating restarting (cycle 13 so far) if I'm straight up missing out on an otherwise unique geyser.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Can I ask... is the sulfur geyser guaranteed on the teleporter planet like it is in the other starts?

yeah, it's basically the same as terra start oil asteroid, hot but it can have squeaky pufts.  the nuclear asteroid is swamp/mud with the plug slugs and such... BUT it has 2 cobalt/gold volcanoes instead of 2 aluminum/gold volcanoes...  only aluminum you get is basically in the starting biome.  otherwise you'll have to hold out for niobium for good TC

5 minutes ago, Electroely said:

These are the geysers I got on my forest start, and I'm contemplating restarting (cycle 13 so far) if I'm straight up missing out on an otherwise unique geyser.

the random geyser is probably a minor volcano.  apparently it can only be sulfur, minor volcano, or chlorine but i'm not 100%

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

I'm so glad I make some "testing" colonies first... I wouldn't have thought the teleporter could spawn like that...:roll:

Hide contents

1850148702_perfectforeststart.thumb.JPG.6c2a8ce7b33b59485c62131d702d807e.JPG

seed: FRST-C-663344670-0

Its special teleporter spawn for you :lol:@sakura_sk

image.png.71ab719e6bcd5d6c1d68fc0c51c749a9.png

:roll:@aresd

Edited by babba

Guest aresd
7 hours ago, Yunru said:

Then why are you in this subforum, commentating on this update, to something you're not playing? 

I have the right to express my personal point of view. Stop attacking and provoking me every time. I have already asked you to add me to the ignore list, if you can not get past my messages.

Should be able to debug in a cobalt geyser to existing maps and have a mostly standard experience. No way to raise the world height in debug, unless that's separate from worldgen in which case it should update old saves on version change.

28 minutes ago, aresd said:

I have the right to express my personal point of view. Stop attacking and provoking me every time. I have already asked you to add me to the ignore list, if you can not get past my messages.

I saw this coming btw. Y'all were begging for a base game experience and you didn't know what you were asking for. What are you going to do exactly with the dlc content in a base game map? Offgas polluted dirt? The request fundamentally makes no sense and shows a lack of understanding about what spaced out is. But go off I guess.

Cargo module capacity increased X10

Nice. Still hope automating command module restocks gets easier, but at least it's worth it now either way.

• Like 2

Switching to rocket height instead of module count for balance seems good, but the devs might be working themselves into a corner with this one. Reballancing individual modules means having to redo artwork. Still a good change, just concerning.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Technoincubus said:

Cool, I really hated that mini-starting asteroid stuff

Did you actually run out of space in a survival game? If that's the case can you please share how many dupes you were trying to support and what infrastructure didn't fit in.

3 hours ago, n_t_p said:

Should be able to debug in a cobalt geyser to existing maps and have a mostly standard experience. No way to raise the world height in debug, unless that's separate from worldgen in which case it should update old saves on version change.

I saw this coming btw. Y'all were begging for a base game experience and you didn't know what you were asking for. What are you going to do exactly with the dlc content in a base game map? Offgas polluted dirt? The request fundamentally makes no sense and shows a lack of understanding about what spaced out is. But go off I guess.

Nice. Still hope automating command module restocks gets easier, but at least it's worth it now either way.

Grubgrubs and plant mutations can be used to improve efficiency of farms in base game as well. Saturn critter trap can add another layer to critter ranching. Atomic research can be a thing in a base game like experience as well. The Research Reactor could be useful high complexity and risk power source. High attribute/heavy negative trait dupes are an exciting proposition for the base game as well, so is the diagnostics screen. 

Edited by Magheat2009
I always end up making a typo

1 hour ago, Magheat2009 said:

Grubgrubs and plant mutations can be used to improve efficiency of farms in base game as well. Saturn critter trap can add another layer to critter ranching. Atomic research can be a thing in a base game like experience as well. The Research Reactor could be useful high complexity and risk power source. High attribute/heavy negative trait dupes are an exciting proposition for the base game as well, so is the diagnostics screen. 

I just don't get what it is you're expecting here. Do you guys want the base game starmap and a return to the old crew module stasis/planet abstraction mechanics? Spaced out is a massive overhaul. They'd have to do half the things they've added over twice just to make it similar to base game, and a lot of it like the launcher and rover wouldn't be useful at all. The balance would be totally off. There would be whole sections of the DLC content like all of the work that goes into worldgen which would be derelict in this game mode. Asking for spaced out features in base game is like asking for a whole second DLC. It's not a matter of just flipping a switch.

12 hours ago, pether said:

What I must do to trigger them? I watch the surface of the moo moonlet for several cycles, nothing happens...

Have you sent a dupe there? Are you on a old save that's been loaded into the new test branch? These are just some issues I've thought might cause a problem. 

Try to go into a new sandbox world and spawn a dupe on that planetoid. Might work then.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, n_t_p said:

What are you going to do exactly with the dlc content in a base game map? Offgas polluted dirt? The request fundamentally makes no sense and shows a lack of understanding about what spaced out is. But go off I guess.

Well, fundamentally it makes sense for people to prefer an expansion over an alternate game mode. Heck, the most recent example of odd design I had to face when replaying Fallout New Vegas. There, where the same guns were copied and weapon modifications made only to be compatible with the DLC one (and somehow their were made indistinguishable, by a mod I think since there should be a suffix for the later). Game Designers ain't superhumans and are actually subject of the whims of their engine but even if time was pressing, a bad design is bad regardless of reasons.

Klei is obviously making an effort to not just make this an alternative game mode and in due time they will find means to implement an expansion experience. Needless to say, before working on a classic expansion, they needed to have all systems to work more efficiently for then they can consider if and how to implement them.

Not all content makes sense to port to classic but doubtfully none is especially if you consider porting classic to spaced out. Having a bigger if not classic starting asteroid is a fair if not grand start, having all classic types with all if not more traits and the same size would be best in terms of pure business. Ultimately that is also the reason why Klei should try to make it a classic expansion as well.

With the game systems already implemented, a good chunk of the work is already done and leaves mostly the code-mon... monsters to adjust the programming. Meanwhile the return for the additional work is huge because many will decide against an alternative game mode for no discount/missing certain features (certain classic starter asteroid with certain types&traits). All that may actually be missing is the already unwanted child we call meteor showers.

Imho cutting them, regardless of how much sense it makes, is still sad and the dangerous resource drops should be re-imagined... or made less of a chore since scanners, rockets, solar panels and bunker doors are just a PITA to set-up. Not a challenge, just a PITA and I do not mean that tasty bread. My humble suggestion (likely suggested before) for that would be defensive lasers that make much of the bunker-door-wall-shield obsolete in return for more energy used (I do not have the number right now about how much it costs to open/close a bunker door and how many meteors fall to set a definite laser range, power consumption on standby and per shot but those would be the numbers).

Personally, I will decide upon paying full-price for Spaced Out or whether I will wait for a discount, whenever I actually have the hardware again to play it (I'm actually surprised FNV functions on a Q-210), on knowing whether all classic asteroids are implemented with all classic traits (or the missing ones I do not care about, like boulders, ugh, boulders...) or well, not. It'd be very appreciated if someone could answer if that is the case already (the Patch Notes mention only Terra and no traits)

I'd suppose that is the deal for many others as well rather than having resource teleprompters, er, porters (though it should be very easy to go back to the classic starmap/automatic gathering with new content as option, if performance is such a big concern). I so far trust in Klei though in that they will properly implement/meld everything in due time. Their business strategy is making good games which is working out so far (I think, it is not like I have ever seen their financial reports, I swear!).

19 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

Meanwhile the return for the additional work is huge because many will decide against an alternative game mode for no discount/missing certain features (certain classic starter asteroid with certain types&traits). 

You don't loose that content you paid for in base game. It's just limited to base game, because that's what it was built for. If you want that content there's a big pulsating button on the start menu to do that.

Spaced out isn't an "alternate game mode". It's an expansion. There are large sections of the base game that are completely abstracted, which breaks immersion. It's just straight up missing content. A picture on the starmap that your dupe "goes to" is not content, it's a gaping hole in gameplay. Spaced out is the expansion to fill that gaping hole.

Best solution imo would be to reduce the number of asteroids. Big start just has 4 asteroids instead of 8. One for resin/moos/grass, one for niobium/tungsten, and one for graphine. That way you still need rockets for space mats and a minimal amount of offworld colonization, but the game won't grind to a halt from the massive map. Space asteroids are far out, and big start gets rad biome and new geysers/volcanoes.

Edited by n_t_p
  • Like 2