[Spaced Out! Update] - 459378

40 minutes ago, n_t_p said:

Have you sent a dupe there? Are you on a old save that's been loaded into the new test branch? These are just some issues I've thought might cause a problem. 
Try to go into a new sandbox world and spawn a dupe on that planetoid. Might work then.

Ofc I tried all of this :( 10 cycles, nothing happened. Were you lucky enought to see new mooteors?

33 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

My humble suggestion (likely suggested before) for that would be defensive lasers that make much of the bunker-door-wall-shield obsolete in return for more energy used

New "lasers" could shoot radbolts at incomming meteors, making constant flow of new radbolts required to stay alive. Also - the more applications for radbolts, the better. Ofc power can (should) be still there.

16 minutes ago, n_t_p said:

Spaced out isn't an "alternate game mode". It's an expansion.

Well, to be fair - DLC feels more like ONI 1.5 or totally different game mode, not just expansion. Expansion means that you have exactly what you had before, with nice little cool ad-on on top of that. Spaced Out reworked space so much it is really hard to call it just expansion.

I love the changes that DLC brings to the game and I prefer this over vanilla rocketry. But I can totally understand (despite in my oppinion I disagree) people who prefer vanilla style more. Their feelings and preferences shouldn't be attacked only because they like something different than you and I. Saying "just don't play" doesn't fix the issue neither - people love the game, they want to play it, they want to expand it with expansion.

However, what I do not understand is what is wrong with big map having single teleport building...

Spaced Out focuses mostly on changes in space travel. You cannot have it without new rockets and those imply there are new worlds to colonise. I don't think there will be way to have vanilla rocketry experience with the DLC enabled. But if you want enjoy big maps - what is exactly wrong with current solution? In base game you had POI items that you had to ignore, teleport is just like it....

• Like 4

I would find it nice to have the option to switch off the teleporter spawns in new world generation settings. I have played the teleporter gameplay extensively a few times for a few hundred hours and now got a bit tired of the teleporters.

User requests should not get answered with personal orders or instructions to stop playing the dlc and such. There is fans of the teleporters and non-fans. Also ones mood can swing, liking or not liking something is not always set fixed in to stone.

The more world generation settings exist, the better the game can cater for all.

I find that it would be nice to have the option to turn the spawning on/off, maybe someday the lust will come back to play the "teleporter minigame" again. Currently the teleporter spawning seems to be sometimes broken, a few patches ago I also sometimes had a spawn in to the games top map space area or some other time in to lava. IMHO the regular player will not check in the editor, on game start, where a teleporter really leads to. I neither do it as I currently like to play the pure survival mode most.

Hoping for updated world generation settings ( and new starter worlds ) in/by Summer, I am missing "Frozen core" so much !

https://oxygennotincluded.fandom.com/wiki/World_Trait

Please also add new world traits like OilTycoon, UraniumRain and RegolithMayhem :adoration:

Need to make a radioactive coffee now, @pether the mod magician, hypnotized me to start a fresh game...

image.png.c2970aec873133f6b29ccd902a976411.png

twirliness.gif  Pokeshell is a crab :confused::confused::confused:  image.thumb.png.cf638323938bfc58d7af8085a63503a1.png

@Ranah`s posts are great, they often have nice visual intro teaser pics :beguiled: Pipes for the win !

smokedetector.gif Smoke detector  @Sasza22 Bomb mining :encouragement::x

Dupe Farell & Pokeshell Sleestak :angel: @minespatch

Edited by babba
  • Like 3
  • GL Happy 1

@pether

There is still a whole lot of vanilla feel outside of map exploration in ONI, the game isn't fundamentally changed, so i can't get behind your expansion logic. Hell, if we got the same thing as before, with minor modifications, it wouldn't even make sense to charge for it, when they didn't for any of the other updates.

I understand that people have the right to their preference, but if what they want is the vanilla experience, then there is really nothing else to say other than "don't play the DLC and go play vanilla". If they are unsure, or have some form of resistance to changes in the game, then it's wiser to wait until the content is done, evaluate if they like it, and then make the decision to buy it or not. Buying it outright only to come complain that a core feature of said DLC is annoying makes absolutely no sense to me.

What most people need to understand is that the game can't be moulded to everyone's wishes. This is the Spaced Out content, it's optional and it's revealed. If you like it, cool, buy it and enjoy. If you don't, cool, don't buy it and stick to what you like. What we can't have is a million options to please every single minimal wish people have just because some don't like something in the game.

• Like 5

I find the 'I don't like spaced out I want vanilla' complaints both silly and mildly annoying because what's really being said is 'I want new content, I don't want vanilla' paired with a 'I want the vanilla' as the ask (but really a complaint/demand). I think you nailed it mario.

To your point babba I think if it was framed like that people would be a lot less forceful in a response. 

I also wish that people would be more respectful of dev time and priorities. We play the game but remember this is also a team's artistic vision. It's okay to ask for features, note what we like and what we don't, but complaining about stuff or demanding that they do something or the game is unplayable or something - that's really weird and gross to me. We're all in this for what, $25-40 so far? For contrast, we've given Klei about the price of a nice meal out or a movie at a nice theater with a beer. With any of these examples that exchange doesn't entitle us to a lifetime of servitude.

Let's not be Karens - respect goes both ways.

• Like 4
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, marioespinho said:

What we can't have is a million options to please every single minimal wish people have just because some don't like something in the game.

Pretty much. Especially the people that blow tiny things all out of proportion. Probably because they have had some success with the drama-queen approach in life. Nobody likes complainers though.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, pether said:

Spaced Out focuses mostly on changes in space travel. You cannot have it without new rockets and those imply there are new worlds to colonise. I don't think there will be way to have vanilla rocketry experience with the DLC enabled. But if you want enjoy big maps - what is exactly wrong with current solution? In base game you had POI items that you had to ignore, teleport is just like it....

I like this thought too. Continuing it, if we could destruct POI's natively... sounds like that would be a fair compromise for all the preferences :)

There is still a whole lot of vanilla feel outside of map exploration in ONI, the game isn't fundamentally changed, so i can't get behind your expansion logic. 

I guess that those people prefer to have single map, not to micro-manage several smaller colonies. I'd say the main thing in ONI - base building and managing made a spectacular piruette, encouraging players to sustain several colonies with different resources available. I love the concept, but I am able to understand why somebody doesn't like it, while they love nuclear stuff. I can understand why somebody would like to have single, big map, with no need to colonise space to have access to the nuclear. And no, "just dont play it" doesn't solve anything.

Hell, if we got the same thing as before, with minor modifications, it wouldn't even make sense to charge for it, when they didn't for any of the other updates.

Depends on a company. KLEI is so cool they wouldn't charge for minor changes like Meeps Recreation or Bhani Automation Packs. Others would sell it for heavy money, adding also plenty skin-only DLCs to buy. And to be honest, I love ONI and respect KLEI so much that I would buy it. But since I'd buy it due to respect that KLEI doesn't sell it, it doesn't really make a sense, does it?

What most people need to understand is that the game can't be moulded to everyone's wishes. This is the Spaced Out content, it's optional and it's revealed. If you like it, cool, buy it and enjoy. If you don't, cool, don't buy it and stick to what you like. What we can't have is a million options to please every single minimal wish people have just because some don't like something in the game.

Well, of course you are right. But it seems easy to allow players to start on well-known big asteroids without any need to space travel. And by easy I mean - KLEI just did that, only little tweaks here and there are needed. And I believe that opitions are cool and I would welcome as much of them as KLEI will wish to give us

21 minutes ago, spkthed said:

I find the 'I don't like spaced out I want vanilla' complaints both silly and mildly annoying because what's really being said is 'I want new content, I don't want vanilla' paired with a 'I want the vanilla' as the ask

I read it more like "I really love X in the DLC, but I don't enjoy Y in it. Can we please have option to enjoy X without being force to Y?" It's like you go to the restaurant and ask "I'd like to have hamburger, but please, can you not add pickle to it as I am alergic to it?". Nobody would say "just don't order hamburger if you hate picles, what's the problem" or "go back to eating dirt from mushbar and stop complaining"

24 minutes ago, spkthed said:

Let's not be Karens - respect goes both ways.

Nothing more to add, great summary :)

14 minutes ago, spkthed said:

I like this thought too. Continuing it, if we could destruct POI's natively... sounds like that would be a fair compromise for all the preferences

Oh yeah, un-deconstructable POI is source of all evil and suffering in the game, including starvation, suffocation and zombie spores...

Please, just let us get rid of the junk... :(

• Like 3

1 hour ago, babba said:

There is fans of the teleporters and non-fans

Teleporters seem like something that should be map dependent. something that allows for earlier multiple colonies mostly in easier clusters so beginners can get used to it before they have to deal with rockets. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, evilcat19xx said:

Do you guys think there will be more World Gen changes? 

In BIG world - 100% sure. If not in the current map, there will be new ones added for sure

In small worlds - quite possible, they just changed height to allow more rockets to fly, it might change in the future. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pether said:

I guess that those people prefer to have single map, not to micro-manage several smaller colonies. I'd say the main thing in ONI - base building and managing made a spectacular piruette, encouraging players to sustain several colonies with different resources available. I love the concept, but I am able to understand why somebody doesn't like it, while they love nuclear stuff. I can understand why somebody would like to have single, big map, with no need to colonise space to have access to the nuclear. And no, "just dont play it" doesn't solve anything.

Well, not everyone can have everything they want. Nuclear is one of the selling points of the DLC, so in order to have it, one has to accept the other changes too, it is what it is. Like in any DLC content in any game, if we want to play it, we have to see everything it brings, and accept it all. Choosing and picking only what we like doesn't happen in any DLC of any game, so it shouldn't be any different in this one.

Depends on a company. KLEI is so cool they wouldn't charge for minor changes like Meeps Recreation or Bhani Automation Packs. Others would sell it for heavy money, adding also plenty skin-only DLCs to buy. And to be honest, I love ONI and respect KLEI so much that I would buy it. But since I'd buy it due to respect that KLEI doesn't sell it, it doesn't really make a sense, does it?

They could have, and i would have supported them too, but if they didn't charge for the minor ( and i use minor veeeeery loosely here ) updates, the paid content would have to be bigger in order to not have any backlash. So any payed DLc would have to have some gameplay impact, like we got on Rimworld with the Royalty DLc, wich also didn't change the way the game is played on a fundamental level, but still introduced massive elements to the game.

Well, of course you are right. But it seems easy to allow players to start on well-known big asteroids without any need to space travel. And by easy I mean - KLEI just did that, only little tweaks here and there are needed. And I believe that opitions are cool and I would welcome as much of them as KLEI will wish to give us

I haven't played since this last update, so i have no idea how the big asteroid is set. But, if you ask me, if the big asteroid has everything one needs like the vanilla ones, then there is little to no point in even going to space, wich takes away from the whole DLC.

22 minutes ago, marioespinho said:

I haven't played since this last update, so i have no idea how the big asteroid is set. But, if you ask me, if the big asteroid has everything one needs like the vanilla ones, then there is little to no point in even going to space, wich takes away from the whole DLC.

I made 2 excursions on fast forward speed within DLC Classic Terra, only digging and building ladders as fast as possible. On the first ~8 minutes excursion I found 1x hot 110 Celsius water source, on the 2nd ~20 minutes excursion I found nothing - No renewable resource. If someone spent some hours in a DLC Terra Classic map, screenshots would be welcome :-P

Edited by babba
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, marioespinho said:

Well, not everyone can have everything they want. Nuclear is one of the selling points of the DLC, so in order to have it, one has to accept the other changes too, it is what it is. Like in any DLC content in any game, if we want to play it, we have to see everything it brings, and accept it all. Choosing and picking only what we like doesn't happen in any DLC of any game, so it shouldn't be any different in this one.

I will totally understand if KLEI would say "OK guys, say what you want but we will NOT make 2 tech trees just because you don't want to use DLC features". Such request would be absurd. But Having big map not to be forced for space travel doesn't seem impactfull enough not to let this happen and I can see why some people would like to see it happen, so - why not?

34 minutes ago, marioespinho said:

But, if you ask me, if the big asteroid has everything one needs like the vanilla ones, then there is little to no point in even going to space, wich takes away from the whole DLC.

AFAIR it has terra start and multiple slime/caustic/wasteland biomes, with oil and lava on the bottom. If it had radioactive biome too, one could pretty-much enjoy the non-space DLC half, if they really hate space travels. If it is doable, and easy, why not? I wouldn't enjoy it, but if others do...?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, marioespinho said:

But, if you ask me, if the big asteroid has everything one needs like the vanilla ones, then there is little to no point in even going to space, wich takes away from the whole DLC.

Even small terra asteroid can be played like vanilla, 1 dreko and some iron ore is all you "need". From that you have atmo suits, plastic, steel, sour gas boiler, lox. Second (teleport) asteroid is optional.

Big terra asteroid is even easier, you have some oil right there. You'll need space travel for space stuff just like vanilla. Oh and for science, but you don't have to travel anywhere. So it's all the same, DLC or not, except resource list - it was bad, now it's bad in a different way.

2 hours ago, babba said:

I made 2 excursions on fast forward speed within DLC Classic Terra, only digging and building ladders as fast as possible. On the first ~8 minutes excursion I found 1x hot 110 Celsius water source, on the 2nd ~20 minutes excursion I found nothing - No renewable resource. If someone spent some hours in a DLC Terra Classic map, screenshots would be welcome :-P

I have played one for 3 hours or so and I have looked at one in debug. It seems you have 2 cold steam and 1 saltwater geyser and also an oil source assured. There seem to be 3 small volcanoes assured as well. In addition, on my longer try I had 2 nat gas vents and on the debug one I had a chlorine vent.

All I had on the 2nd asteroid via teleporter was the oil source. That strikes me as unfinished. 

The map is about 3.5 screens wide and very high, probably the same as in the base game, with the printer being very high up, probably at 80% of the height or so. 

All in all, it feels very much like the base-game "Terra" with a far more limited geyser selection. For me this works, especially if they add some of the other base game starting worlds in the same way.

Edited by Gurgel
  • Thanks 1

Great review, thanks @Gurgel :-P

What temperature is the saltwater geyser and could you kindly attach a zoomed out thermo shot of it and its surroundings? 

I can't remember...Did we have basic metal volcanos in the vanilla base game?

I would find a gold volcano useful and I would welcome 1 additional cold water source...Or a Swamp map as dlc classic + base game world traits + base game regolith :) I think not being able to select vanilla base game world traits for Terra dlc classic really gets me - It's this feeling of having less than before ( dlc vs vanilla).

For those who want to play without Teleporters, Klei could just add an spawn deactivation option and players still could visit that 2nd asteroid via rockets.

Edited by babba
  • Like 1

New content is always welcome :angel:

Klei is listening, they considered adding oil/nat gas + big map to the dlc which I find great ( and appropriate/needed ) :x. Either they have completed their plans for regolith/meteors or they are still work on such ( or other related ) implementation changes and are still toying around with ideas and perhaps want to cram in the last forum user feedback about it.

I would love radioactive regolith :excitement: + also DLC Classic Swamp + whatever Klei is currently working on in terms of world generation traits and new worlds. I always wondered what is keeping Klei from adding a minus -10 Celsius geyser to Terra, as its a nice way for beginners to have an ice source by starting a simple ice factory. Swamp also often has the AETN directly in or near the player spawn start position + gigatons of available ice. Some forumistas have requested renewable Uranium and asked Klei to make radioactivity more dangerous, I also miss basic metal renewables in Terra and for me it is still a hot dessert in its current condition ( in the base game Terra it was possible to select "Frozen core" ). I find the default Swamp map like licking ice cream in a cool lagoon oasis in comparison - Everybody has their preferences and opinions.

@Gurgel has raised good points in his review, also about the 2nd spawn map. If people write what they want, how they want it and why they want it...Then Klei may pickup on the feedback. Keep it coming :cheerful:

Edited by babba

1 hour ago, babba said:

What temperature is the saltwater geyser and could you kindly attach a zoomed out thermo shot of it and its surroundings? 

Sorry, I deleted that save. But I believe it was a standard 95C one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, marioespinho said:

... if the big asteroid has everything one needs like the vanilla ones, then there is little to no point in even going to space ...

This kind of describes my experience with the game. I had never touched space before the DLC. Mostly because I restart a lot and enjoy the early game discovery. Partly because I haven't developed skills and strategies to make a stable long-term base. So I never needed to, and never got far enough into the game for space.

I purchased the DLC almost purely to support the game. I was never sure the space focus would appeal to me since I'd never tried it. I've now used a rocket. I needed one to get a resource I wanted. I can still count the number of times I've been to space on one hand though.

I'm still not sold on the rocket expereince yet, so far it's more of a hassle than a fun mechanic. I could see myself sticking to the first two teleporter linked planets, even in the spaced out start, since I like the smaller planets. They might not have everything I need but I can still have fun with that.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, pether said:

I will totally understand if KLEI would say "OK guys, say what you want but we will NOT make 2 tech trees just because you don't want to use DLC features". Such request would be absurd. But Having big map not to be forced for space travel doesn't seem impactfull enough not to let this happen and I can see why some people would like to see it happen, so - why not?

AFAIR it has terra start and multiple slime/caustic/wasteland biomes, with oil and lava on the bottom. If it had radioactive biome too, one could pretty-much enjoy the non-space DLC half, if they really hate space travels. If it is doable, and easy, why not? I wouldn't enjoy it, but if others do...?

If one hates space travel, so i assume they will still hate it when the time comes to get the high tier materials, while wanting everything on one asteroid, then why is that person playing Spaced Out in the first place?

I have no problem with it being implemented, but i really hope it it AFTER the new content is present and balanced, because working on a funcional vanilla map in DLC takes away time and resources from the new stuff that it brought, since what those players want is basically vanilla with extra nuclear and grub grubs. More options are never bad, but not urgent at all, and new content has to be a priority over players that bought the DLC, don't really want the DLC, but want to play the DLC without the DLC elements.

And those people need to learn how to be patient, and stop coming to the forums, patch after patch, to complain about missing features or little things thay dont like.

10 hours ago, furytale said:

Even small terra asteroid can be played like vanilla, 1 dreko and some iron ore is all you "need". From that you have atmo suits, plastic, steel, sour gas boiler, lox. Second (teleport) asteroid is optional.

Big terra asteroid is even easier, you have some oil right there. You'll need space travel for space stuff just like vanilla. Oh and for science, but you don't have to travel anywhere. So it's all the same, DLC or not, except resource list - it was bad, now it's bad in a different way.

I think space was pretty much non-existant in vanilla. In Spaced Out it feels relevant again and every colony i make takes much more time until it's on "auto-pilot" and i run out of relevant things to do. I don't think it was bad, it was just bland and uninteresting when compared to what we have now.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 3:46 AM, yopyop6 said:

But I have another one  for you

It seems there are more of that :roll:

Spoiler

363922864_swampstartwater.thumb.JPG.3b5bf7196635c235b44c56bd9d84ebbb.JPG

It gets interesting when you spawn a dupe
1308613607_thatisfine.thumb.JPG.765857400361ca4ed2064203bf210a5b.JPG

And then... build a little around unfortunate Nikola so he doesn't die...
image.png.4a5a19a2c35c0b43a86a8dd880b038db.png

And then (after overcoming glitchiness) you could have a "Nikola looking through the veil" effect :D

image.thumb.png.09d31e821cd0fddae47916e25d69b81c.png

Edited by sakura_sk
one image too much
  • Haha 2