[Spaced Out! Update] - 459378

• Developer

Hi friends!

Today's update to the public testing branch brings our first wave of fixes in this quality-of-life-focused phase of Spaced Out!'s development. We've been playtesting the game, sorting through feedback, and furiously typing and drawing.

The most asked-for addition by far is for a large "vanilla-like" starting asteroid with the new Spaced Out! rocketry system. The existing Spaced Out! style asteroids still require further balance and tuning, but we're ready to begin expanding the selection of clusters available to play on. In this update, we're adding a large, resource-rich starting asteroid that supports the classic "big base" experience. Additionally, we're putting in a Forest-start Spaced Out! style cluster.

We're also turning our attention back towards rockets, and this update features a redesigned limit for rocket engines based on rocket height instead of module count. Now, an engine can sport more short modules than tall ones. Combined with a significant increase in Cargo Module capacity, there are more viable rocket combinations using the same pieces. Rocket automation has also seen some refinement, asteroids are generated with more "headroom" for tall rockets, and a new Solar Panel Module increases rocket power options.

There are more changes and fixes to come, but let us know what you think so far and please report any bugs you come across. Thanks so much!

What does this testing branch contain so far?

Here are the changes we've made so far in this update, loosely categorized:

Spoiler

Features

• Cluster style selection screen allows choosing between "Classic Style" and "Spaced out! Style" clusters
    • Added Classic style Terra Cluster
    • Added Spaced Out! style Forest Cluster
  • Added Solar Panel Module to generate on-board power for rockets
  • Gassy Mooteor showers have begun falling on the Gassy Moo moonlet
  • Added new Cobalt Geyser which appears in the Forest cluster

Changes and Updates

• Rocket maximum module count condition replaced with maximum rocket height condition.
  • Increased all rocket cargo module and Orbital Cargo Module capacities by 10x.
  • Revisions and cleanup to Rocket Platform automation ports:
    • Output port goes green when all launch checklist items are fully checked (no warnings).
    • Input port takes over the launch button once connected. A green signal requests a launch when all Rocket Construction and Cargo Manifest items are fully checked (no warnings). A red signal cancels the current launch.
  • Added radiation exposure and research reactor Colony Diagnostics
  • Targeting Beacon no longer generates heat
  • Adjusted diagnostic ping animation to match notification’s animation
  • Disabled Radbolt Generators slowly lose stored radbolts
  • Raised the ceiling on all the asteroids to allow for more room for rockets.
  • Updated Interplanetary Payload animations
  • Updated Interplanetary Launcher cooldown animation
  • Updates to Beeta Hive inactive animation
  • Added Space Travel systems entry to codex
  • Added Rocketry Tutorial to the Tips section of the codex
  • Updated simplified Chinese translations

Fixes

• Fixed an issue allowing rockets to attempt to land pads too close to the space ceiling for them to fit (which would lead to crashes)
  • Orange tech points in Spaced Out have been renamed to "Orbital Research" and all associated strings have been corrected. (Early Access Note: the orange points on an in-progress research will be lost the next time you load a save.)
  • Fixes and updates to resolve some Duplicant facial expressions animation issues
  • Fixed placement of Duplicant Beeta Hive interact animation
  • Duplicants correctly get their +2 science if they have both Orbital Researcher and Atomic Research skills.
  • Fixed many cases where required research skills were listing the wrong skill, and improved various formatting.
  • "WIP Skill" now properly gives its athletics bonus.
  • Building multiple Targeting Beacons no longer spams No Line of Sight status items in the details panel.
  • Fixed crash deconstructing Targeting Beacon in certain scenarios.
  • Asteroid hotkeys and asteroid selector button tooltips now relate to asteroids in the order they are discovered
  • Fixed issues causing incorrect tooltips and broken hotkeys for switching between asteroids
  • Fixed crash when trying to move camera to user preset location on a world that no longer exists
  • Fixed issue preventing Automated Notifier zoom setting and user camera positions from working correctly when targeting worlds other than the currently active one
  • Large cargo modules now show a capacity status item
  • Fixed issue causing rockets to often show up under the wrong asteroid header in the UI
  • Fixed issue preventing Duplicants from sorting under the correct world headers in skills screen
  • Radbolts traveling through Radbolt Reflectors lose particles comparable to those lost when flying freely through space

What is open testing?

"Open testing" means players get to test-drive new content early and give us feedback and suggestions before it goes live. Because this is an unfinished and in active development version of the game, it's pretty likely you'll encounter bugs, crashes or balance issues while playing these builds. We'll try to fix any problems that crop up as quickly as we can, but it's possible you'll lose progress in your games while playing on the Testing branch.

Regarding performance, the Testing branch has additional debugging tools enabled to help us track down crashes. This makes the game run more slowly than the live version of the game.

Please also be aware that once a save is loaded in the Testing branch, it cannot be reopened again in the previous Live branch or previous builds.

What do I do if I find a crash or a bug?

Post it up on the Bug Tracker and we'll fix it as soon as we can. If you can attach a copy of your save file to your report, that helps us even more as we can pinpoint the source of problem more quickly.

Do I have to play the open testing build?

Nope! If you'd prefer to only play a stable build, you can continue to play in the current Default branch until the game launches in full. Playing the Open Testing build isn't necessary, but it helps us a lot to receive your feedback and reports - if you're interested, try it out!

How do I become an open tester?

There's no sign up or registration for becoming an open tester. If you own Oxygen Not Included plus the Spaced Out! DLC and want to join the Testing Branch, all you have to do is play the Open Testing build on Steam.

How do I play the open testing build?

You can switch your branch on Steam using the instructions below:

Spoiler

How to change branches in Oxygen Not Included (Steam)

• You must own the Spaced Out! DLC
  • In Steam, click on Library > Games.
  • Scroll down to Oxygen Not Included.
  • Right-click and select Properties.
  • Go to the BETAS tab.
  • In the dropdown, select the name of the branch you want to play. In this case, the branch name is "public_testing"
    • This branch does not require a password.
  • In that same Properties window, go to the Local Files tab and press "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache."
  • Your game will be updated to the the previous branch.
  • Launch and play Oxygen Not Included

View full update

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • Big Ups 3
  • GL Happy 2

Cluster style selection screen allows choosing between "Classic Style" and "Spaced out! Style" clusters

:-o❤️

"Classic Style" comes with teleporter and supply teleporter? Can we get that way to another asteroid?

Edited by arvenil

34 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

In this update, we're adding a large, resource-rich starting asteroid that supports the classic "big base" experience.

@babba are you ready to start new ONI game?

36 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Added new Cobalt Geyser which appears in the Forest cluster

wouldn't they fit better on swamp start as it is only asteroid that has cobalt?

37 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

first wave of fixes in this quality-of-life-focused phase of Spaced Out!'s development

Can we have Deconstructable POI items? pretty please, with cherry on top!

38 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Gassy Mooteor showers have begun falling on the Gassy Moo moonlet

I need to work, can somebody check this and post details with images? thanks :)

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

Guest aresd

I was delighted. Launched the game. Launched a classic asteroid. Saw a resource teleport. Closed the game. Thank you but no

If you enlarged an asteroid, but fundamentally save the concept of Space Out!, then this is not a classic asteroid. This is an attempt to wishful thinking.

Just now, aresd said:

I was delighted. Launched the game. Launched a classic asteroid. Saw a resource teleport. Closed the game. Thank you but no

If you enlarged an asteroid, but fundamentally save the concept of Space Out!, then this is not a classic asteroid. This is an attempt to wishful thinking.

Here's a revolutionary idea: If you don't want Spaced Out, don't play Spaced Out.

• Like 16
  • Big Ups 3

From a classic like map, some of us expected something more like a paid update to the base game, which would include all the new items/mechanics from the DLC which made gameplay sense for the base game like the Grubgrub and plant mutations. This approach restores atleast one aspect of base game to Spaced Out, having one big main base. It will be hasty to dismiss or provide negative feedback on it before giving it proper time.

Edited by Magheat2009
Typo was corrected.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pether said:

wouldn't they fit better on swamp start as it is only asteroid that has cobalt?

I need to work, can somebody check this and post details with images? thanks :)

It's worded it a bit oddly, but I think it's in line with what you're thinking.   Didn't see a way of making a table but it goes like this now:

Starting: Terra  | Swamp | Forest

Warp: Swamp | Terra | Terra 

Rocket: Forest | Forest | Swamp

From what I saw, when you start on a forest cluster,  Cobalt volcanoes replace the Aluminum ones on the rocket planet, which is now an irradiated swamp.

Edited by Brian.oni
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tytan said:

I didn't get it right, what would be the difference?

Without trying it i`d assume a much bigger starting planetoid with all the core resources from the first 3 spaced out planetoids on one. Then the other planetoids would be much smaller in comparison, not suitable for making a long term base. But somebody said there is still a teleporter so i`m nto 100% sure how they implemented it.

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Fixes and updates to resolve some Duplicant facial expressions animation issues

I really love the push on fixing the tiny animation errors, it's nice to see that the little things are getting love too.

Edited by Squeegee
  • Like 2

This DLC is why I keep coming back to ONI. I feel like I've played 10 different versions during the development cycle and each one has had its fun or frustrating quirks. Thanks for responding to the community on some of the issues. Keep up the great work. 

• Like 2
  • GL Happy 2

@Ipsquiggle When doing a classic start, it seems like the Irradiated planet is completely lacking gold & aluminum volcanoes - Is that intended?   I get there's more raw ore to refine on the classic planet, but aluminum would still be limited due to a lack of forest biome and gold is used in a couple of recipes, so being non-replenishable could be a long term problem.

Edited by Brian.oni

2 hours ago, pether said:

@babba are you ready to start new ONI game?

WAAAAAAAAAAAA...SPECIAL BLING BLING UPDATE ! Thank you Papa Klei Smurf :cheerful:

image.thumb.png.b9ad533f897ef4a88fe29f2df16427d8.pngimage.png.85b0ec4852b96629ca59e39cd308137d.png

In reality I`m for protecting the planet...But in fantasy I`m wannabe ONi Rockefeller Bart Simpson bathing in oil and atomic waste !

ONNNNNNIIIIIII :beguiled::angel::excitement:

The bioluminescence of the night

image.thumb.png.365e5ad3921dad76b326c8efb579281d.png

I like the cuddly homes which @sakura_sk builds for every single dupe :encouragement:

ONI makes us forget our life problems and lets us work on ONi problems.

Leave no dupe behind...

image.thumb.png.c5ef526cec0a171744a5ba0c89237ffd.png

image.png.b3f16c43390900b75c6b97e28c780938.png  TERRA

:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x

May the force be always with you :encouragement:@Ipsquiggle

image.png.9a02e0055c14ce7849c11c6ea5c17b50.png

Edited by babba
  • Haha 1

Guest aresd
2 hours ago, Yunru said:

Here's a revolutionary idea: If you don't want Spaced Out, don't play Spaced Out.

That’s what I’m doing. DLC is the worst game change.