[Game Update] - 446448

• Developer
  • Winter’s Feast has ended.
  • Wormwood’s plant trail will no longer spawn on boats or the ocean.
  • Fixed a rare crash when retrofitting worlds for the Forgotten Knowledge update.
  • Fixed a bug causing your character to go to the wrong location after a rollback sometimes.
  • Fixed some visual glitches when it's snowing.
  • Fixed various skin texture bugs.
  • Fixed an issue causing Wormwood to flicker when transitioning bloom stages.
  • Lowered the drop rate of seeds from birds.
  • Reduced the collision size of the archive pillar to allow players to walk past them.
  • Carol Emote is now an ensemble reward for Merrymaker skin sets in addition to the Snowfallen skin sets.

View full update

• Like 33
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 8
  • Big Ups 3
  • Sad Dupe 2
  • GL Happy 1
  • Potato Cup 1

3 minutes ago, Fill-Lips said:

Hmm, interesting, wonder what the difference is.

Birds now have a 20% chance of leaving seeds behind when flying away. Before this update it was 33%.

nerfed from 1/3 chance to 1/5 damn.

Edit: Okay its a little more complicated actually but a friend of mine will be posting a reply explaining the code more in depth

Edited by Hornete
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

Winter’s Feast has ended.

I didnt expected it to end that soon. Im glad i played yesterday to finish the most things i needed but i will still lack normal crab king ornament  and the 2 from pearl. 

Im kind of sad ...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Birds now have a 20% chance of leaving seeds behind when flying away. Before this update it was 33%.

I can't tell why this change happened, I think this was before the tweak that plain seeds have a higher chance of producing a season specific crop but oh man it was so hard to get dragonfruit and garlic it was already my first summer by the time I got it, and I harvested it in the second autumn!

Edited by Seero
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hornete said:

It's a little lower than that, because the chance decreases as the oldest player on the server gets older.

In the first autumn, the chance is 20%. Between that and the first year, the chance is 16% (80% chance to spawn a seed after the 20%). After the oldest player has survived a full year, the chance is further lowered to 12% (60% chance to spawn seeds after the 20% roll).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad Dupe 5

i see steam update and hoped it was goin to be that "year of beefalo" update i hear well but it all just seemed to be the "seed spawn from birds nerf" update wonder why realy? is it because i sould not have 40 seeds as emergency food? was it because the birds got more hungry? or was it because if your doin it good you get lots of named seeds? still i think what ever the reason it was i think normal random seeds drop chance sould how it is but i alsol wonder whit that if the drop chance of flint that birds left behind for new players joining a late world is alsol lowerd by that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

Lowered the drop rate of seeds from birds.

Rest in peace chugging Raw Seeds and Butterflies for food while building... This was pretty much my casual staple bread and butter (pun intended) for survival. For reference, it used to be a 33% drop chance.

What bothers me most, is the backwards thought process for this change, as the drop rate actually lowers, the longer you play in the world. The nerf from 33% to 20%, I could understand, and (possibly) support myself. What I don't understand is why the drop rate lowers AGAIN to 16% for the first Spring, and then to 12% FOR THE SECOND YEAR. Food historically has never really been a struggle or challenge after Winter, so why bother with a nerf half way into a year? Let alone another nerf by the time year 2 rolls around.

Unless you plan on going caving, fighting bosses, or going to the islands... Year 2 IS the post-game. You've survived a whole year, so clearly you have a decent base, supplies, and have tackled seasonal hurdles... So why make year 2 more of a grind? Odds are people in their second year won't be struggling for food in the first place. Why make generic Raw Seeds drop less than half as often in the post-game? This change really baffles me...

(I guess here I should mention that this nerf is also based on the oldest player in the server, similar to how resources are given by birds if you are new to the server and phase out as your day count rises. Still a bizarre change that makes little sense to me.)

So, what does this change do? "Previously (and still as of this patch) Crop Seeds are trivial to get once you have a sufficient crop planted and going but the generic Raw Seeds are going to be hell to grind out... What happens, for instance, if you start farming on year 2 and not year 1? You don’t have crops to compensate since you never started it in year 1." (An actual string of quotes from someone I'm discussing this change with. The previous quoted section, are not my words, but I fully agree with them.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I was in the middle of a cinematically long fight with Deerclops when the Klei servers went down to update. It was the fourth day of me fighting him since I was a Maxwell with no armor, no weapon, and 19 health, so I was just kiting him into random stuff hoping it'd kill him but was having really bad luck with treeguard spawns. Then the server goes down, and when it comes back up he no longer has his winter skin. The fight was so dramatic that it lasted 4 days and 2 updates, and Deerclops apparently got so bored of it that he even changed his attire.

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Ninja 1

57 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:
  • Winter’s Feast has ended.
  • Wormwood’s plant trail will no longer spawn on boats or the ocean.
  • Fixed a rare crash when retrofitting worlds for the Forgotten Knowledge update.
  • Fixed a bug causing your character to go to the wrong location after a rollback sometimes.
  • Fixed some visual glitches when it's snowing.
  • Fixed various skin texture bugs.
  • Fixed an issue causing Wormwood to flicker when transitioning bloom stages.
  • Lowered the drop rate of seeds from birds.
  • Reduced the collision size of the archive pillar to allow players to walk past them.
  • Carol Emote is not an ensemble reward for Merrymaker skin sets in addition to the Snowfallen skin sets.

View full update

oops, well that kind of ruins a lot of my strats with seeds x''D

• Thanks 1
  • Hunger 1

4 minutes ago, KCDA said:

Rest in peace chugging Raw Seeds and Butterflies for food while building... This was pretty much my casual staple bread and butter (pun intended) for survival. For reference, it used to be a 33% drop chance.

What bothers me most, is the backwards thought process for this change, as the drop rate actually lowers, the longer you play in the world. The nerf from 33% to 20%, I could understand, and (possibly) support myself. What I don't understand is why the drop rate lowers AGAIN to 16% for the first Spring, and then to 12% FOR THE SECOND YEAR. Food historically has never really been a struggle or challenge after Winter, so why bother with a nerf half way into a year? Let alone another nerf by the time year 2 rolls around.

Unless you plan on going caving, fighting bosses, or going to the islands... Year 2 IS the post-game. You've survived a whole year, so clearly you have a decent base, supplies, and have tackled seasonal hurdles... So why make year 2 more of a grind? Odds are people in their second year won't be struggling for food in the first place. Why make generic Raw Seeds drop less than half as often in the post-game? This change really baffles me...

(I guess here I should mention that this nerf is also based on the oldest player in the server, similar to how resources are given by birds if you are new to the server and phase out as your day count rises. Still a bizarre change that makes little sense to me.)

So, what does this change do? "Previously (and still as of this patch) Crop Seeds are trivial to get once you have a sufficient crop planted and going but the generic Raw Seeds are going to be hell to grind out... What happens, for instance, if you start farming on year 2 and not year 1? You don’t have crops to compensate since you never started it in year 1." (An actual string of quotes from someone I'm discussing this change with. The previous quoted section, are not my words, but I fully agree with them.)

there is NO other way to get raw seeds either, well unless you use green gems on this:image.png.30ae6de36f539f35285d05b16a3ca4f8.png

15 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

i see steam update and hoped it was goin to be that "year of beefalo" update i hear well but it all just seemed to be the "seed spawn from birds nerf" update wonder why realy? is it because i sould not have 40 seeds as emergency food? was it because the birds got more hungry? or was it because if your doin it good you get lots of named seeds? still i think what ever the reason it was i think normal random seeds drop chance sould how it is but i alsol wonder whit that if the drop chance of flint that birds left behind for new players joining a late world is alsol lowerd by that?

unless im wormwood or farming I dont stockpile on seeds not now or before the update for emergency food, there are better alternatives

• Big Ups 4

Huh it’s over? The Xbox live events app says it would go until the 22nd I was expecting that I would have enough time to build every single WF food item in the game and put them all on display in one huge Buffet like setting, But rather unfortunately Gingerpig spawns were not in my favor this year, I only found maybe three Ginger Pig villages this year- I kept losing the trails of the pigs due to other complications: such as running from hound wave, running from Deerclops, trying not to starve, etc.. I barely got half the foods built- but it’s okay it was fun: And maybe Year of Beefalo will start soon!

35 minutes ago, KCDA said:

What bothers me most, is the backwards thought process for this change, as the drop rate actually lowers, the longer you play in the world.

I think the reasoning behind it was to reduce server stress for long worlds by not having "random" rots laying around all over the world.

End game players going for seeds seemed to have always declined from what I've seen even with the farming rework.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 3

1 minute ago, CarlZalph said:

I think the reasoning behind it was to reduce server stress for long worlds by not having "random" rots laying around all over the world.

End game players going for seeds seemed to have always declined from what I've seen even with the farming rework.

which is totally valid but the reduction is happening really fast and is kind of not great for pubs where the mods can be there from day one and tank the drop-rate for new players

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

I feel like this is a bit silly if this is a reason, since the other option is coding it so seeds don't spoil into anything when they rot. Since gingerpig crumbs don't produce rot when they spoil, it seems entirely possible for that to be retrofitted onto the seeds, avoiding the need to reduce the drop rate the further the player gets in the world.

7 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

I can see why it makes sense (and admittedly, this occurred in my world), although later on I always just used a birdcage with a stack or two of carrots if I wanted more seeds. Since that's not an option anymore, seed drop rates being nerfed is a bit iffy for endgame. Granted, it's much less of an issue when you have all of the crops, and since silviculture doesn't need seeds it's craft.

• Like 7