[Game Update] - 446448

40 minutes ago, CarlZalph said:

I think the reasoning behind it was to reduce server stress for long worlds by not having "random" rots laying around all over the world.

End game players going for seeds seemed to have always declined from what I've seen even with the farming rework.

It could also possibly be to balance Wormwood after his new RWYS buffs.. being able to heal himself with common rot is highly effective method of healing- Since Rot accumulates all over everywhere and you can pick it up later on in your travels.

ROT is everywhere... and plentiful, so maybe this change lessens that if only by a small bit.

• Like 1
  • Spool 1

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It could also possibly be to balance Wormwood after his new RWYS buffs.. being able to heal himself with common rot is highly effective method of healing- Since Rot accumulates all over everywhere and you can pick it up later on in your travels.

ROT is everywhere... and plentiful, so maybe this change lessens that if only by a small bit.

If you heal Wormwood with rot, you're not a Wormwood player

Edited by Milordo
  • Haha 1

• Developer

Since many seem to not understand the reason why the seed drop rate was lowered, let me explain it:
In Game Update 443923 a bugfix was made regarding birds dropping seeds, that greatly increased the drop rate of seeds from birds.
While this bugfix needed to happen, it had the unintended consequences of making seeds way way to common, when I was playing DST recently, I had 100 seeds in the first 10 days, which was way to much, not to mention the lag that could cause on a long running server.

This change much more closely brings the drop rate back down to what it previously was, with some exceptions:

As was previously mentioned, the birds dropping seeds is based on player age, what was not mentioned is the oldest player check is only in a small area around the bird, what this will mean is whenever your newer in a world, you will find seeds more often, as you live longer in a world, the drop rate will slowly go down to prevent server lag and prevent players from being inundated with large amounts of seeds.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7
  • Big Ups 1

5 minutes ago, zarklord_klei said:

While this bugfix needed to happen, it had the unintended consequences of making seeds way way to common, when I was playing DST recently, I had 100 seeds in the first 10 days, which was way to much, not to mention the lag that could cause on a long running server.

I noticed this. My friends and I had ridiculous amounts of seeds on first days. I thought we were just lucky on the bird seed gamble.

• Wavey 1

well it seems nothin new realy for me to have lots of seeds so early like i always have 40 seeds on me as emergency food just to be save as they take forever to spoil alsol i soupose i can copy paste this text from klei to the steam forum update? i alredy see a cult there goin on whit #GiveOurSeedsBack so and this explaining from zark seems to be solution of that cult ending

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Why are events ending like this lately? In the past events used to run up to the next piece of new content (or next event in most cases), now it seems like they're ending no warning during bugfix updates...

Perhaps they finished YoTB sooner than they originally had planned so WF will end and YoTB can start as early as tomorrow? :D I can hope can’t I?

• Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, zarklord_klei said:

as you live longer in a world, the drop rate will slowly go down to prevent server lag and prevent players from being inundated with large amounts of seeds.

Maybe the seed shouldn’t be kept when it leaves the player’s field of vision. You see the bird and the seeds, but you don’t have to see it eat the seeds.

I am a Woodie player. I have to Find seeds in the tumbleweed in normal games. All the seeds are in the farmland now.  I can no longer get seeds from the bird in the cage.

By the way. I am a modder. Can you provide an api in game so that MOD with AddAction can be added to the list of actions that will be triggered by pressing the space bar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Just let Wormwood chug Lightbulbs for 1 HP like the rest of us! Even if they are rotten. :P

• Hunger 1
  • Sanity 1

2 hours ago, zarklord_klei said:

Since many seem to not understand the reason why the seed drop rate was lowered, let me explain it:
In Game Update 443923 a bugfix was made regarding birds dropping seeds, that greatly increased the drop rate of seeds from birds.

This change much more closely brings the drop rate back down to what it previously was, with some exceptions:

As was previously mentioned, the birds dropping seeds is based on player age, what was not mentioned is the oldest player check is only in a small area around the bird, what this will mean is whenever your newer in a world, you will find seeds more often, as you live longer in a world, the drop rate will slowly go down to prevent server lag and prevent players from being inundated with large amounts of seeds.

thankyou for clarifying

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Again...

Rot heals a little per second during few seconds, isnt unbalanced. Manure is even better healing option and was since the beguining

Did you tried to fight using rot? You will need minutes to heal wormwood full

You could say that how easy is to get the speed boost but rot... not broken or even good at all

• Big Ups 1

21 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Again...

Rot heals a little per second during few seconds, isnt unbalanced. Manure is even better healing option and was since the beguining

Did you tried to fight using rot? You will need minutes to heal wormwood full

You could say that how easy is to get the speed boost but rot... not broken or even good at all

The difference here is that poop has to be obtained by going to a specific location or mob- But ROT accumulates itself all over everywhere and you can pick it up whenever and wherever you need it.

My current world is 100% all Wormwood (cause I was testing his recent buffs simultaneously at the same time as the new RWYS garden updates) And in that world thanks to how easy it is to Acquire ROT: I’ve always been able to keep Wormwoods Health topped off.

and yes I know there are BETTER Methods of Healing such as 5 Beefalo poop, 2 Rot & Nitre to create his Compost Wrap healing thing- But again you run into the same problems:

You actually have to GO TO the locations to get Beefalo Poop or Nitre... Rot on the other hand kinda just literally lands at your feet sometimes.

I don’t think I would have such an issue with it if Rot spoiled, or if there was a Mob that ate the rot.. (maybe even those Skittersquid could do Rot clean up idk..) But as it stands now- Rot healing is a very viable way of healing Wormwood On the Go (were talking purely sandbox nomadic survival and Exempting Boss Fights completely from this conversation) 

Pre RWYS I would sometimes limp around on low HP until I could gather decent healing items, now however ROT makes Nomadic Wormwood playstyles significantly less challenging.

and that’s not even mentioning he can create his own Rot Stations by planting seeds everywhere then coming back for the rotten plants later.

Edited by Mike23Ua

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Healing 4hp over 4 seconds or 40hp over 40 seconds, 80hp ove 80seconds, 150 hp over 2 min and half isnt even good at all. If you a nomad why you care to go to another spot to get a way better healing item? 

You take in consideration what ypu think makes you be right and even in thar scenario still being a bad healing option. A nomad that doesnt want to go to a specific place because he is at base using rot every 4 seconds isnt that nomad

Even farming spiders is a faster way of healing and why boss fights are put of the conversation? If is an op healing source that negates his downside it should work in most of the possible scenarios not only because he was hit by a pig or a tentacle

It just make the gameplay less grindy because you can rely on rot to heal few hp instead of waiting to be more wounded to apply a costly healing source

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

I think the reasoning behind it was to reduce server stress for long worlds by not having "random" rots laying around all over the world.

Why not to make generic seeds to disappear instead of leaving rot then? like with cookie crumbles.

• Like 3