Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

I have a question, does anyone know of a super super short, video that explains all the strengths and weaknesses and abilities of Woodies Refresh? 

I have a friend that wants to main Woodie, and I try to explain to him that being new to the game Woodie probably isn’t the best character to start with- but it goes in one ear and right out the other.. I love my friend but it can be highly frustrating to see him trying to attack enemies with Woodies Axe (which is highly ineffective to use) 

A video or an easy to understand hand written guide (preferably not the Wiki) Thanks!

the important stuff like Woodies Axe being highly ineffective to use in combat, chopping too many trees just because you have endless durability Axe = bad thing because you also have a 50% increased chance to spawn angry tree guards.. ETC.

Edited by Mike23Ua

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have a question, does anyone know of a super super short, video that explains all the strengths and weaknesses and abilities of Woodies Refresh? 

I have a friend that wants to main Woodie, and I try to explain to him that being new to the game Woodie probably isn’t the best character to start with- but it goes in one ear and right out the other.. I love my friend but it can be highly frustrating to see him trying to attack enemies with Woodies Axe (which is highly ineffective to use) 

A video or an easy to understand hand written guide (preferably not the Wiki) Thanks!

the important stuff like Woodies Axe being highly ineffective to use in combat, chopping too many trees just because you have endless durability Axe = bad thing because you also have a 50% increased chance to spawn angry tree guards.. ETC.

I feel like you're strongly underevaluating woodie ?
He's like a better wilson, I don't know why it wouldn't be good for a beginner, actually I would advise him over any other character but that's personal opinion

His only weekness is you have to "anticipate" your post-transformation hunger, meaning you just have to have food on you
Maybe you missed his rework and that's why you still think he's less playable, but that's not the case anymore

Attacking with the axe is indeed not really effective, but that's still better than your fists when you don't have a weapon early game

Spawning treeguards more easily is an UPSIDE, you can calm them for later if you don't want to fight them when they spawn

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Xantown7 said:

I feel like you're strongly underevaluating woodie ?
He's like a better wilson, I don't know why it wouldn't be good for a beginner, actually I would advise him over any other character but that's personal opinion

His only weekness is you have to "anticipate" your post-transformation hunger, meaning you just have to have food on you
Maybe you missed his rework and that's why you still think he's less playable, but that's not the case anymore

Attacking with the axe is indeed not really effective, but that's still better than your fists when you don't have a weapon early game

Spawning treeguards more easily is an UPSIDE, you can calm them for later if you don't want to fight them when they spawn

My point was that better beginner friendly characters would be Wendy, or Wolfgang/ both of which get high amounts of power with little efforts required.

my friend does not actually know how to do anything with Woodie besides chop trees with an infinite durability axe, he does not know how to craft transformation totems, or how to use the character effectively.. which is why I specifically asked if there is a short video or guide on the in’s and outs of how to play Woodie that can teach him?

(preferably on Xbox so the controls match)

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My point was that better beginner friendly characters would be Wendy, or Wolfgang/ both of which get high amounts of power with little efforts required.

my friend does not actually know how to do anything with Woodie besides chop trees with an infinite durability axe, he does not know how to craft transformation totems, or how to use the character effectively.. which is why I specifically asked if there is a short video or guide on the in’s and outs of how to play Woodie that can teach him?

(preferably on Xbox so the controls match)

I mean, even without using woodie's perks, he's very beginner-friendly, your friend will get insulation for winter, he has more chances to spawn treeguard which means help for deerclops and bearger plus the loot, and the infinite axe

Next to woodie, I don't think wolfgang is the right call, since beginners's main trouble is handling food, and wendy has true disadvantages when you don't know how to play her (damages reduced and loses sanity when abi die)

It is less punitive to not use Woodie effectively, than not using Wendy or Wolfgang effectively

Anyway, sorry, all the guides I knew about woodie are outdated, but I can tell you some "ins and outs" myself

Unequip your stuff before transforming since they're dropped on the ground (except your backpack)

It is more food-efficient to transform when you have as few hunger as possible, since transforming will replace the hunger bar with the weremeter and you will have 0 at the end of your transformation anyway

You can anticipate the full-moon random transformation by transforming yourself beforehand

The weremoose can kill deerclops with just a campfire and pressing a button (see attachment), don't forget the max melee range to not have -200 sanity in 5 seconds

You can also farm spiders and other group of mobs by charging over and over with the weremoose

Weregoose can walk on water, you can easily explore and discover the islands without boat, or just use it to explore in general, it's really, really good

Edited by Xantown7
  • Like 1

I don’t know if this has been asked before. When i started a world with wickerbottom as my character and then later on decide to change into other character, does the new character unlearn the items that wickerbottom has already learned from the start of the game?

2 hours ago, zepplin12 said:

I don’t know if this has been asked before. When i started a world with wickerbottom as my character and then later on decide to change into other character, does the new character unlearn the items that wickerbottom has already learned from the start of the game?

yes, new character will forget recipes like backpack or spear if you played as wickerbottom before and crafted them.

Edited by Duck986
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I have a question, does anyone know of a super super short, video that explains all the strengths and weaknesses and abilities of Woodies Refresh

https://youtu.be/sU-RpV3OoPE

Mr. James Bucket channel has a lot of good tutorials for new~average players, and the rhyme is amazing 

And about your friend's choice, you can advise him, but it's still his choice to follow your advice or not, just warn him DO NOT pick Wes

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Knowbodie said:

What do the numbers of each hotfix or update represent? Is it the time, the date, maybe something to do with the total number of updates since the original game?

I've been on this site for years but I assumed they're numbers based on the number of updates.

Will there be a Holiday community event like Klei did back in October?

When is Klei leaving for their vacation break and around how long will they be on break before returning?

I predict that the forums will spiral into chaos and madness during their absence so if they’re gonna be gone till like February or March then I will also leave the forums until they return from break. :) 

I hope they all enjoy their break & I hope the forums don’t end up being set on fire while they are stepping away. :love_heart:

Thank You for all the Amazing content updates to what has easily become one of my favorite games of all time, you guys are the best and I truly appreciate the content you put and how you interact with the people who play your games & deliver happiness to us in the form of fun contests and cool new game updates in a time that the world as a whole... could use a little more happiness, Thank You to everyone at Klei, to all the friendly forum regulars here who are all mostly nice, and hope you all have a happy and safe holiday season.

(P.S. When am I going to be able to order Gingerpig and Ginger Varg Cookies from my local Subway? I think those would be really cool though probably highly unlikely to ever happen.)

What would be better, a chest full of miner hats or moggles? I always like to keep a hand-slot light source and a head-slot light source in my inventory, and I keep about a chestfull's worth of each to swap with when the ones in my inventory run out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Owlrus said:

What would be better, a chest full of miner hats or moggles? I always like to keep a hand-slot light source and a head-slot light source in my inventory, and I keep about a chestfull's worth of each to swap with when the ones in my inventory run out.

Why not both?

I like miner's hat better because I can refuel them very cheaply at any point of the game, don't alter the tint of what you see, and don't break when depleted.

However you can probably refuel the moggles permanently once you get a surface reanimated skeleton, and they allow you to see the whole screen so... Up to personal liking and point in the game I'd say.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2020 at 10:13 PM, Owlrus said:

id say miners hat is better, you can use it to save friends without a light source from charlie and it uses the same fuel as the lantern so you dont need to spend two slots on fuel