Any unknown mechanic to share?

Wes can attack his party balloon while riding a beefalo to avoid taking damage, but gain all the sanity.

Mounted beefalo can easily kill the mushroom gnomes by tanking all the explosive spores, so you don't have to spend all day kiting every spore on foot.

Lightbulbs raise a beefalo's obedience the same as twigs/grass do, so you can tame a beefalo entirely by feeding it lightbulbs and riding it.

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Many might already know this, but for those, who don't:

The shadow pieces are most effiently dealt with by setting up a couple of Winona's catapults, a G.E.M.erator (better than the normal one cause you can manually start it) and a boat. Place one rook and one bishop on land near the edge to the ocean, then place knights on the boat to your hearts desire. At new moon, kill bishop and rook first and then simply start the gemerator and wait. The knights can leave the boat, but can't enter land and will be stuck on the water, while getting sniped by the catapults. This way, you can mass farm dark swords, night armor and shadow atriums.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 1

You can FEED the EYE MASK (first terraria boss).Feeding works as a sewing kit, making the Eye Mask an infinite (and creepy) piece of armor. (Rotten food/eggs work as well)

20211118173046_1.png.2cf15d700112003d8ce7049c1d8518c3.png

Edit: you can either feed it while equipped or while its on the floor. If fed that way the mask does a creepy eating animation

Edited by Brubs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wavey 1
  • GL Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Brubs said:

You can FEED the EYE MASK (first terraria boss).Feeding works as a sewing kit, making the Eye Mask an infinite (and creepy) piece of armor.

20211118173046_1.png.2cf15d700112003d8ce7049c1d8518c3.png

Edit: you can either feed it while equipped or while its on the floor. If fed that way the mask does a creepy eating animation

You can feed the Shield of Terror too.

In both cases, they recover 4*(item's health value) + 1.75*(item's hunger value) when fed. And they have the same stats as the Football Helm and Log Suit respectively.

(Not sure I would call an item's main perk an unknown mechanic, but given the update is brand new...)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

And they have the same stats as the Football Helm and Log Suit respectively.

Shield loses durability when attacking (takes ~150 hits to break) and when taking damage, so I'd rather increase its durability a bit

Edited by Duck986
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Shield loses durability when attacking (takes ~150 hits to break) and when taking damage, so I'd rather increase its durability a bit

I mean, they're very cheap to refuel. For example, 1 Roasted Potato gives it like 124 HP.

Also, the Shield of Terror introduces the possibility of having 3 armors at once sharing the damage, which is preeetty big.

Edited by QuartzBeam
  • Like 12
  • Hunger 1

18 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Also, the Shield of Terror introduces the possibility of having 3 armors at once sharing the damage, which is preeetty big.

exactly! this is really nice for the bramble husk, makes its pitiful durability go much further. the shield and the eye mask seem so good on Wormwood since he can feed them all the HP foods which r useless to him. and aside from HP foods, he can grow endless amounts of durability in the form of just hunger crops too with very little effort. 

If only the Bramble Husk was better suited for combat this 3 piece ensemble would be so badass on Wormwood i think. If it periodically shot out the spines without needing to get hit to supplement the average damage on Shield of Terror it'd be soooooo good.. :crushed:

• Like 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

Keep in mind, hunger repairs way less than health does.

yeah i saw, i just meant that theoretically. like he can turn wild seeds into weapon and armor durability by just wild planting them and waiting, i think thats really cool. 

Even though its just as easy ofcourse, to plant only hp crops like potatoes or tomatoes if u have the seeds etc. Or dragon fruits for the giga durability restoration :lol:

On 11/17/2021 at 3:50 PM, Bird Up said:

Wes can attack his party balloon while riding a beefalo to avoid taking damage, but gain all the sanity.

You can just hit the balloons without being in range to take damage. I forgot if you have to be diagonal or perpendicular to it.

Edited by Cheggf

I’m pretty sure at least one other person has figured this out but I guess I will share anyway, the item you need to Summon the new boss is a PORTABLE ITEM, you can technically do just like the games animated trailer shows- and summon this thing to fight other bosses.. :lol:

Its actually quite awesome that it is a portable boss.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m pretty sure at least one other person has figured this out but I guess I will share anyway, the item you need to Summon the new boss is a PORTABLE ITEM, you can technically do just like the games animated trailer shows- and summon this thing to fight other bosses.. :lol:

Its actually quite awesome that it is a portable boss.

Oh no, griefing has reached a new level, and I'm not talking about abducting the Terrarium but about using it in base when people are nor ready. :D I don't care if I'm giving trolls ideas, trolls can't read.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, DelroyBM said:

Oh no, griefing has reached a new level, and I'm not talking about abducting the Terrarium but about using it in base when people are nor ready. :D I don't care if I'm giving trolls ideas, trolls can't read.

...h m m.
It would seem that I have plans tonight.

Spoiler

smile.png.66726615228e30ed254273cf39c03a23.png

• Haha 1
  • Wavey 1

Don't know how known this is but:

1) You can haunt the dwarf star to put it out.

2) If mosquito explodes near you, it will kill the rabbits in your backpack. Wierdly it doesn't kill bees in your inventory, so I don't know how precisely this works.

Edited by Cr4zyFl4mes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Wavey 2

29 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

~snip~

Bees have more HP.
...which didn't really make sense, until the Terraria update.
You don't actually need a rabbit for rabbit soup, despite it having ears.
So where do they come from?
They don't come.
Rabbits don't exist.
Morsels are a lie.
Big Meatballs has been deceiving us for years, wake up sheeple.

On another note, while it isn't unknown, I don't tend to see it often...
Wortox.
You can hold as many Souls as you can fit stacks of bugs into your inventory.

Several mobs that drop souls, such as Bees, Butterflies, Mosquitos, and Light Bugs...can stack.
Now obviously you'd normally just murder these for souls, but...
They have a wide diet, including Seeds and Lightbulbs.
Meaning you can basically keep them alive indefinitely whether you're in the Overworld or the Caves.

Basically infinite souls for whatever shenanigans your group gets up to...
Or so you don't have to feel wasteful just being hypermobile all the time and not caring about the shape of the world and jumps-caring your cohorts at every opportunity.
That's where mine go, at least.

• Thanks 1

No one warned me before but you can't summon Eye of Terror in the Lunar Island.

And Dust Moths will eat Amberosia from the floor, only if you already mined the thulecite from the Tidy Hidey-Hole they spawned from. You can just leave it on the floor, mine the thulecite and the moth will repeat the cleaning process by itself again. This was also useful when this Moth was too close to a Sentrypede, I had no interest in fighting it for the risk of killing the Moth that takes 10 days to respawn, time that the moth would require to clean the Hidey-Hole 13 times maximum.

20211120004026_1.thumb.jpg.08195067eba447c975f54ac27bd1f576.jpg

I have also a very eye opening mechanic to share, but it wasn't my idea so I'll just leave a link to the video.

Edited by DelroyBM
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Big brain from this guy right here.

The resource-free way to farm for charcoal, is to first place a sign / directional sign, then burn it.

Next, use a hammer to hammer down the burnt sign, and you will get back 1 board and a chance for 1 charcoal.

The charcoal drop is not 100%, but the board for the sign is, so it is an indefinite way to obtain charcoal without using too many resources.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Wavey 1

7 minutes ago, zacqiang said:

The resource-free way to farm for charcoal, is to first place a sign / directional sign, then burn it.

Next, use a hammer to hammer down the burnt sign, and you will get back 1 board and a chance for 1 charcoal.

The charcoal drop is not 100%, but the board for the sign is, so it is an indefinite way to obtain charcoal without using too many resources.

Hammers aren't free.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
  • Happy Hazard 3
  • Sanity 1

On 11/18/2021 at 12:32 PM, Brubs said:

You can FEED the EYE MASK (first terraria boss).Feeding works as a sewing kit, making the Eye Mask an infinite (and creepy) piece of armor. (Rotten food/eggs work as well)

You can feed the Shield and Mask a Lesser/Glow berry and it will light up for 60/90 seconds, even if the item is not being worn and is in your inventory, so you can save the sanity penalty for eating it and can light yourself up when you need to fight.

Warlys Glowberry Mousse works as well but I don't know if it works longer.

These items truly are gods gift.

Edited by cropo
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Health 1
  • GL Happy 1

Birds normally last about 5 days in your inventory but last 4 times as long in a birdcage (excluding seasonal modifiers).

The reason I say this is because poisoned Canaries are treated the same as a regular Canary (they last just as long). They may look sick, but trust me, they still last as long as if they weren't sick. 

So yeah, you can prolong the suffering of a canary before making it explode at Toadstool :>

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad Dupe 1
  • GL Happy 1

...requires commands, but potentially useful for decoration.

Objects can be lifted into the air by summoning stacks of boats underneath them. Example:  c_spawn("boat",5)
The boats start breaking immediately due to their collisions.
Items and mobs will simply drop to the ground (the perspective if you do it to yourself is a bit trippy).
Structures, however, will break, from Science Machines to the Ancient Guardian's chest, dropping their materials if craftable... (the Guardian chest has none, of course)
But the Moonbase is made to break down to a minimum state, then be repaired.

So it survives, suspended in midair.

581972143_moonbaseaaaaafloating.png.24e96311a920b7e87b9204478d3cdb10.png

It doesn't collide with anything on the ground, and functions normally; you can repair it, put in staves, ect.

Maybe megabase chandeliers or something, IDK.
I suppose you could also achieve it with coordinate teleports, but this is satisfyingly silly.

Edited by maradyne
  • Like 3