ONI Launch Date Moving to July

• Developer

Hey folks, 

Just wanted to give you all a quick status update:

We are going to delay the launch of Oxygen Not Included for a bit. After working on the final major update for the game we felt that we weren’t quite where we anticipated that we would be. 

We’re feeling good about the content of this final update and we really think you will like what we have cooking but if we launch as scheduled, the update would not have seen much testing and it’s just not as polished as we (or you) would like. 

Rather than launch something we’re not feeling great about, we’re just going to hold off a bit. We are moving release to July and we expect to open for testing around the end of June. 

Our apologies for making you all wait a bit longer and once again, thanks for all your support!

/devestated

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather you guys release the game when it's ready as opposed to when it's due, but I've been ticking down the days 'till release for a while now and another 1.5 months of waiting is gonna be soul crushing.

I've been overall* pleased with the updates so far, so I'm sure the wait will be worth it. High quality is more important than an arbitrary date. You guys have been doing well so far.

* - here's hoping the extra delay will include replacing the disease super-nerf with something that makes sense again (and is actually properly deadly. [rant aborted, see other threads :hopelessness:])

this is good news then.  glad you guys are delaying it to ensure the game is more polished and ready for review.

Hopefully the late game performance lag issues can be resolved or improved more than it is now.

In other news.  I'm also glad you guys pulled your game off the Epic Store from that  epic sale.    Marking the game up for that massive discount cheapens your game.   Especially close to launch when people play the game, and translate that to a 'cheap' game.  Or other people buying the game later refund the game and decide to 'wait until the price drops to that cheap level again.   (using history low price websites)

When games are on sale for some historic price low -  people tend to not want to buy the game until the game is on sale again for that cheap price.

Honestly, probably for the best. Personally, I was very surprised when a release date of May or so was announced, because at the rate updates and fixes were coming, it didn't seem like ONI would be up to the usual standards of Klei. A couple more months in the oven sounds about right. Good luck devs!

Considering the scope of the launch update I suspected at the time that the launch schedule was a little tight. Thanks for keeping us informed. Take all the time  you need. The game will be all the better for it. If you need anyone to throw themselves at those pesky black holes in the mean time you know where to find us. 

I knew it! 3 biomes, new critters, new building in 1 major update is not enough.
That is why I said in another post that the preview branch should be 3 weeks long but delaying the launch is also better

Nuuuuuu!!!

I was thoroughly hyped and was counting the days till release. :(

On the plus side, this will ensure that we'll have a better game WHEN it releases, so that is good. I hope you'll still release some kind of upgrade between now and the final release, so we can help you and give feedback.

Rather have a finished, polished, working game, then not :)
BUT..... can you give us a few hints on what to expect????

You guys at Klei have it so together you should be a model for every other game  producer out there.

ONI is a great game and if you see that more time is needed to get it to its full potential, then it's really cool for us players that you choose this route. I'd guess you decided to include more changes then planned initially, maybe a polishing touch on existing mechanics or elaborate more on the new ones. Best of luck with implementation and of course with bug hunting and fixing. 

Archived