Warly's DST Debut Ideas

With Warly coming to DST, my prayers have been answered! (specifically these prayers)

Since I have been putting a bit of thought into this for awhile now, these are my ideas for his arrival.

Hunger: 250

Health: 150

Sanity: 200

Pros:

• Can make portable crock pots and chef pouches, and starts with one of each
  • Crock pot recipes made by Warly have the prefix "Gourmet" and give 1.5x the positive stats and -0.5x the negative stats (for example Gourmet Taffy would give -1.5 health, 37.5 hunger, and 22.5 sanity, rather than -3, 25, and 15 respectively). Does not stack with other dishes of normal quality for obvious reasons
  • Gourmet food items give Warly an additional +0.5x bonus to health and sanity, but no effect on the negative stats.
  • Has recipes that are unique to him (similar to shipwrecked, although more oriented to DST)
  • Gourmet dishes take half as much time to be cook, with 1.3x the lifespan.
  • Doesn't lose hunger quicker like he does in SW

Cons:

• Portable crock pots and chef pouches are expensive to craft, making Warly the only one who can use them in early game
  • Is a picky eater (works similar to SW, eating raw ingredients, eating the same dish multiple times, etc.)
  • When consuming a dish that isn't Gourmet, gets no health or sanity and only half of hunger for positive stats. All negative stats are doubled (this also goes for ingredients, plus the negative effects that usually comes with eating a raw ingredient. Mushrooms aren't Warly's friend unless they are used in a crockpot)
  • Hates spoilage (Ripping off of ol' Wickerbottom for this one. It made sense. Sorry)
  • Gourmet dishes lose their prefix when they become stale. (kind of goes hand in hand with hating spoilage, only this specifically effects WX)

Item Skin Ideas (Not the most important but I am a skin fanatic so I have to include this):

• Chef hat (Top Hat reskin)
  • Brick oven (Crock pot and portable crock pot skin)
  • Butcher's hook (Drying rack reskin)

Let me know what you think or what changes you would make. Regardless of what they do I am really excited for Warly to enter the constant in DST... albeit a bit too late for him to really shine in the Gorge...

Just now, -Variant said:

It's a bit early to start thinking, don't'cha think? 

Like, we know he's coming.

I've been wanting this guy for awhile lol. I admit it is a bit early to post it but I just needed to get these ideas out

1 hour ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I’m hoping they’ll go the troubadour route with him, and he comes with exclusive recipes to temporarily boost stats like speed and attack.

I've been thinking that as well, that he should be the equivalent to rpg games "alchemists" but instead of potions, he can cook food recipes with unique effects you can't get in other ways, that only he can cook. Eg: fire resistance for half a day, stronger attack for half a day, less sanity loss to auras for half a day, sanity regen for X amount, etc.

Maybe the way to implement it could be that if any character cooks for example a carrot, a blue mushroom , a monster meat and a berry, it would normally become meatballs. But if Warly is within a certain radious, (or he is the one cooking, of course) it will turn into one of his recipes (given that the ingredients match one of them).

This makes sense in the way that anyone can cook great dishes as long as they are supervised by the chef, so if he is nearby, the chance to get a super dish is increased (and if he does it, its 100%). If he isn't nearby, then the normal dishes we already know is what you will get.

@Dr. Safety nailed it with all his suggestions as well, I'm hoping for the Warly he described too.

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

It's a bit early to start thinking, don't'cha think? 

Like, we know he's coming.

Devs have just said on the latest update news that they want people to post any suggestion and feedback: "If you have suggestions and feedback make sure to post them. We are watching and we do use that information to help us decide what we want to do next"

2 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

Can make portable crock pots and chef pouches, and starts with one of each

i don't like this

i'd prefer if the crock pot was like Lucy the axe better to where you only have one but if you lose them then you can craft another crock pot which becomes the new one

I'm just gonna repost the ideas I had for Warly that I made up last summer. They recently got added into Island Adventures in our last big update. It's a shame to see them go to waste since Warly's now official, hopefully Klei can get some use out of these changes:

Also assume that any tweak not listed here is Warly's default, such as stats and faster hunger drain. 

- Warly can now cook "Gourmet" Crock Pot dishes from any Crock Pot.
"Gourmet" dishes give 33% (1.33x) more Health, Hunger, and Sanity than their normal versions, in addition to extending the alternate effects of other foods by 33%, such as ice cream, chili, coffee, and jellybeans. If the dish reduces any of these stats, the amount of negativity is reduced by 33%.
As a balance, Gourmet foods spoil a bit faster than their normal versions, and cannot be stacked on normal versions of the same dish.
(Reasoning: In singleplayer, Warly gains 33% higher stats from any crock pot dish he eats. Instead of this being a perk that applies to only our seasoned culinarian, why not buff it a bit and turn it into a team-friendly perk that Warly can share with others?)

- Remove Warly's passive Crock Pot dish bonus.
(Reasoning: Gourmet dishes aim to replace this perk. So instead of Warly gaining boosted stats from a normal dish, Warly gains normal stats from all crock pot dishes, but the Gourmet variants supply this missing boost, plus more.)

- Remove the "Repeat Meals" penalty from Non-Crock Pot dishes Just keep the 70% from raw foods, 80% from dried, 90% from cooked.
(Reasoning: Stacking the lowered stats of "Repeat Meals" on top of foods that are already nerfed by default just by not being crock pot dishes is overly punishing in a lot of cases.)

- Change the "Repeat Meals" penalty to lower 3 times in DST (85% > 70% > 55%) rather than 5 times (90% > 80% > 65% > 50% > 30%) from SW.
(Reasoning: This is an immediate nerf and a long term buff to Warly, intended to dampen the harshness of this drawback. The nerf is noted in that Warly receives lowered percentages per dish in the beginning. The buff comes in that this penalty caps out at 55% per dish compared to the 30% per dish found in singleplayer.)

- Make Warly's 4 specific dishes exclusive to his character, not his Crock Pot.
(Reasoning: It doesn't make a whole lotta sense for a character's culinary expertise to be dependent on what they cook in. Also in this case for a DST port, these dishes may have to be changed since half of them rely on SW ingredients to cook.)

- Warly's Chef Pouch can only hold food items.
(Reasoning: If this nerf is not applied, the Chef Pouch will act as a direct upgrade to the backpack, insulated pack, and sea sack, effectively rendering every item worthless.)

- Add a quote or other visual cue to Crock Pot dishes that Warly recently ate.
(Reasoning: As of right now there's no real way to see whether or not you can eat a dish again, or if you're a minute off. This allows Warly players to have a visual cue on whether or not they can reap the full benefits of their foods again.)

The Chef's Pouch and Portable Crock Pot are destructable, and can be crafted via expensive materials.
(Reasoning: The Chef Pouch already followed this behavior in SW with being flammable, but for the Portable Crock Pot, if not destructable could be used as an invincible wall. Also the usefulness of each item warrants a high crafting cost.)

- Change 1.75 day recipe remembrance to 1.5 days.
(Reasoning: This is just a tweak, no real reasoning behind it besides easing up on Warly players.)

This is very well thought out. Personally, I don't want to see character-specific recipes (for a couple reasons), but I am almost sure that is gonna be the case (sadly for me).

I really like the gourmet <food> idea. Though I think it might be better to make them have a shorter lifespan instead of longer.

-----

That aside, I also hope the Gorge cooking mechanics come with Warly (as I liked it, and they fit with Warly's whole theme), and that Warly's portable crock pot can be used as any station with the trade-off that it takes twice as long to cook stuff on it. So, if a dish takes 20 seconds to cook on the oven, in Warly's crock pot it will take 40; if another dish takes 10 seconds in the grill, it will take 20 in Warly's crock pot, and so on. This is still good as you can take the crock pot anywhere you want (something you will not be able to do with the others), and you have 3-in-1 cooking station. This slower cooking time would also balance out the immense convenience that a portable crock pot could give, encouraging the use of both. But I might be asking too much...

1 hour ago, Cpt. KatKit said:

I just want him to shout at anyone who makes an uncivilized dish like meatballs using monster meat and ice, that alone would make me play him nonstop.

"WHERE'S THE FOKKIN' BERRIES!!!!!!"

"What are you?" "An idiot bunwich"

I love most of the ideas! I would change be a few things. 

1. As others have said his crockpot should have durability. As annoying as this might be I think it's necessary.

2. I don't think gourmet dishes should cook faster or last longer. I think he should have two cooking options. Gourmet and regular (ie what other characters make). When he cooks regular food he makes it faster and it lasts longer than normal. He also takes a small sanity hit. He also has the option of making gourmet food. This uses the same ingredients, but takes longer and doesn't last as long. As you suggested gourmet food positives stat books that effect all characters. On top of this he has his own recipes which he will only cook gourmet. These two methods provide both good short term and long term food options.

I like your idea of him not gaining health or sanity when not eating gourmet food. I might say he retains two thirds of the hunger stat. Half is a little much for him imo.

To change one of your cons I would say he won't cook gourmet food with ingredients that have spoiled. This could be him 'hating spoilage' and only cooking with the best ingredients.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, X-lem said:

I love most of the ideas! I would change be a few things. 

1. As others have said his crockpot should have durability. As annoying as this might be I think it's necessary.

2. I don't think gourmet dishes should cook faster or last longer. I think he should have two cooking options. Gourmet and regular (ie what other characters make). When he cooks regular food he makes it faster and it lasts longer than normal. He also takes a small sanity hit. He also has the option of making gourmet food. This uses the same ingredients, but takes longer and doesn't last as long. As you suggested gourmet food positives stat books that effect all characters. On top of this he has his own recipes which he will only cook gourmet. These two methods provide both good short term and long term food options.

I like your idea of him not gaining health or sanity when not eating gourmet food. I might say he retains two thirds of the hunger stat. Half is a little much for him imo.

To change one of your cons I would say he won't cook gourmet food with ingredients that have spoiled. This could be him 'hating spoilage' and only cooking with the best ingredients.

1. I don't think the crock pot having durability will "discourage" it's usage over regular crock pot as much as it will discourage Warly players from crafting it for other players. Which is also fine, just less multi-player friendly. Another option is to make it take twice as long to cook anything on it, making a base crock pot still more useful when you are at base.

2. Try to keep it simple... Warly being able to make both versions would be a bit tricky, even more so if both versions are still different to "regular" versions from other characters. I think is fine for him to be cooking both versions, but at least keep the regular version with regular stats and spoilage, like it was made by another character; it is also fine if Warly can cook it faster because it is inherently part of his perks.

Plus giving more limitations will make "gourmet 'food'" almost useless, from what we got on suggestions: only a character can make it (Warly), it lasts less than regular food (how much is not specified), and you suggest it can only be made with fresh ingredients (no 'spoiled', and I assume 'stale', tags), plus take twice as long as regular food to be made. Too many limitations is what made Warly so 'popular' in DS alone.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, X-lem said:

I can agree with that only if the durability lost for each meal is halved when prepared by Warly (considering it is important for Warly to always have a crockpot handy, and it makes sense since he is probably the most knowledgeable on proper cookware handling, making him more careful with it)

Our boy made it in! Our taste buds are saved!:wilson_laugh:

image.png.b2f79544dd1faa7a1afe86a3e6abce35.png

(I thought of a minor perk idea, what if Warly gained a bit of sanity every time he gave someone a crockpot meal? It would have to be fresh from his crockpot, of course, so you couldn't exploit it by handing out foods that were already in the icebox. :wilson_curious:)

Archived