-Variant    2,154

It's a bit early to start thinking, don't'cha think? 

Like, we know he's coming.

• Like 2

-Variant    2,154
1 hour ago, Dr. Safety said:

I've been wanting this guy for awhile lol. I admit it is a bit early to post it but I just needed to get these ideas out

That's fair, let the speculation begin! 

• Like 1

ShadowDuelist    2,650
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

I’m hoping they’ll go the troubadour route with him, and he comes with exclusive recipes to temporarily boost stats like speed and attack.

I've been thinking that as well, that he should be the equivalent to rpg games "alchemists" but instead of potions, he can cook food recipes with unique effects you can't get in other ways, that only he can cook. Eg: fire resistance for half a day, stronger attack for half a day, less sanity loss to auras for half a day, sanity regen for X amount, etc.

Maybe the way to implement it could be that if any character cooks for example a carrot, a blue mushroom , a monster meat and a berry, it would normally become meatballs. But if Warly is within a certain radious, (or he is the one cooking, of course) it will turn into one of his recipes (given that the ingredients match one of them).

This makes sense in the way that anyone can cook great dishes as long as they are supervised by the chef, so if he is nearby, the chance to get a super dish is increased (and if he does it, its 100%). If he isn't nearby, then the normal dishes we already know is what you will get.

@Dr. Safety nailed it with all his suggestions as well, I'm hoping for the Warly he described too.

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 Da LOLs    1,252
2 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

Can make portable crock pots and chef pouches, and starts with one of each

i don't like this

i'd prefer if the crock pot was like Lucy the axe better to where you only have one but if you lose them then you can craft another crock pot which becomes the new one

• Like 1

pedregales    303
Posted (edited)

This is very well thought out. Personally, I don't want to see character-specific recipes (for a couple reasons), but I am almost sure that is gonna be the case (sadly for me).

I really like the gourmet <food> idea. Though I think it might be better to make them have a shorter lifespan instead of longer.

-----

That aside, I also hope the Gorge cooking mechanics come with Warly (as I liked it, and they fit with Warly's whole theme), and that Warly's portable crock pot can be used as any station with the trade-off that it takes twice as long to cook stuff on it. So, if a dish takes 20 seconds to cook on the oven, in Warly's crock pot it will take 40; if another dish takes 10 seconds in the grill, it will take 20 in Warly's crock pot, and so on. This is still good as you can take the crock pot anywhere you want (something you will not be able to do with the others), and you have 3-in-1 cooking station. This slower cooking time would also balance out the immense convenience that a portable crock pot could give, encouraging the use of both. But I might be asking too much...

Edited by pedregales
  • Like 1

Obviousclone    36

really I'm just hoping he makes useful but thematically cool exclusive recipes like pizza, or pho, or poutine or macaroni and cheese

• Like 3

Namelessgamer    330
Posted (edited)

Make him use his portable crockpot in his inventory but you will get overheat with time as downside.

Let him increase his chef pouch slot to 10 using krampus sack 

Edited by Namelessgamer
  • Like 1

X-lem    43

I love most of the ideas! I would change be a few things. 

1. As others have said his crockpot should have durability. As annoying as this might be I think it's necessary.

2. I don't think gourmet dishes should cook faster or last longer. I think he should have two cooking options. Gourmet and regular (ie what other characters make). When he cooks regular food he makes it faster and it lasts longer than normal. He also takes a small sanity hit. He also has the option of making gourmet food. This uses the same ingredients, but takes longer and doesn't last as long. As you suggested gourmet food positives stat books that effect all characters. On top of this he has his own recipes which he will only cook gourmet. These two methods provide both good short term and long term food options.

I like your idea of him not gaining health or sanity when not eating gourmet food. I might say he retains two thirds of the hunger stat. Half is a little much for him imo.

To change one of your cons I would say he won't cook gourmet food with ingredients that have spoiled. This could be him 'hating spoilage' and only cooking with the best ingredients.

pedregales    303
On 5/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, X-lem said:

I love most of the ideas! I would change be a few things. 

1. As others have said his crockpot should have durability. As annoying as this might be I think it's necessary.

2. I don't think gourmet dishes should cook faster or last longer. I think he should have two cooking options. Gourmet and regular (ie what other characters make). When he cooks regular food he makes it faster and it lasts longer than normal. He also takes a small sanity hit. He also has the option of making gourmet food. This uses the same ingredients, but takes longer and doesn't last as long. As you suggested gourmet food positives stat books that effect all characters. On top of this he has his own recipes which he will only cook gourmet. These two methods provide both good short term and long term food options.

I like your idea of him not gaining health or sanity when not eating gourmet food. I might say he retains two thirds of the hunger stat. Half is a little much for him imo.

To change one of your cons I would say he won't cook gourmet food with ingredients that have spoiled. This could be him 'hating spoilage' and only cooking with the best ingredients.

1. I don't think the crock pot having durability will "discourage" it's usage over regular crock pot as much as it will discourage Warly players from crafting it for other players. Which is also fine, just less multi-player friendly. Another option is to make it take twice as long to cook anything on it, making a base crock pot still more useful when you are at base.

2. Try to keep it simple... Warly being able to make both versions would be a bit tricky, even more so if both versions are still different to "regular" versions from other characters. I think is fine for him to be cooking both versions, but at least keep the regular version with regular stats and spoilage, like it was made by another character; it is also fine if Warly can cook it faster because it is inherently part of his perks.

Plus giving more limitations will make "gourmet 'food'" almost useless, from what we got on suggestions: only a character can make it (Warly), it lasts less than regular food (how much is not specified), and you suggest it can only be made with fresh ingredients (no 'spoiled', and I assume 'stale', tags), plus take twice as long as regular food to be made. Too many limitations is what made Warly so 'popular' in DS alone.

• Like 1

Dr. Safety    501
On 5/19/2019 at 12:18 PM, X-lem said:

I can agree with that only if the durability lost for each meal is halved when prepared by Warly (considering it is important for Warly to always have a crockpot handy, and it makes sense since he is probably the most knowledgeable on proper cookware handling, making him more careful with it)

• Like 1

TurtleKitty    876

I don't think his crockpot should have durability. 
Maybe, instead, his cooking takes 25% to 50% longer? It would make sense, as chefs prefer slow-cooking to develop flavor. 

• Like 1

YouKnowWho    5,874

I think his crockpot might be one of those items only he can use, like Willow using Bernie for warmth or Wortox’s souls.  Possibly the chef pouch too? 

Edited by YouKnowWho
  • Like 1

Axelocke    1,065

Our boy made it in! Our taste buds are saved!:wilson_laugh:

image.png.b2f79544dd1faa7a1afe86a3e6abce35.png

(I thought of a minor perk idea, what if Warly gained a bit of sanity every time he gave someone a crockpot meal? It would have to be fresh from his crockpot, of course, so you couldn't exploit it by handing out foods that were already in the icebox. :wilson_curious:)

Edited by Axelocke
  • Like 3