Warly's DST Debut Ideas

23 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

I can agree with that only if the durability lost for each meal is halved when prepared by Warly (considering it is important for Warly to always have a crockpot handy, and it makes sense since he is probably the most knowledgeable on proper cookware handling, making him more careful with it)

I think that is a brilliant solution.

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

um1.thumb.png.0f559c71be52613df777565a0759d980.png

Ẃ̴͖̻̯̥̟̤̦̩̰̄̿͆̌͌͌͑̒͜A̧͍͍͇̦͖̠̫̓̅̀͊̂ͅȒ̤̠̼̺̘̜̾̃̔̂̂͒͜͝Ļ̩̣̤̥͙̅́̃̑͋̓͊̍̓Y̢͕̘͓͑̐͆͌̇͠ͅ

1 hour ago, X-lem said:

I think that is a brilliant solution.

Frankly I'd rather have no durability, and no way for other survivors to have access to carrying or using the portable crock pot (or chef's pouch for that matter). However if Warly is going to act as the food version of Wigfrid in terms of dispensing useful gear to others, I'd say let them not be nearly as efficient with it.
Of course I say that and I can already visualize the scary amount of people asking for a new portable crock pot because theirs broke.
Also if Warly is going to be able to give other survivors the chef's pouch, I'd say nerf it so it can only hold food, similarly to the hallowed nights candy bag thing.

aw yea, so are my prayers answered by Warly bro. Here are what I wrote previously on the suggestions and feedback page way before he was announced:

I suggest Warly from Don't Starve: Shipwrecked would make a great addition to DST. As a representative from Shipwrecked, he'd serve the great purpose of promoting the DLC, as well as attracting his fans from Shipwrecked into playing DST and buying the DLC. As an already established character he'd immediately garner much more initial popularity than mostly anything an unknown DLC character can introduce. I imagine he'd also be easier in a developing point of view as his sprites, voice lines and most of his dialogue quotes are already in the game. Unlike most of his Shipwrecked DLC comrades, Warly is a perfect fit for the Reign of Giants setting of DST as his perks have nothing to do with nautical travels and island life. Similarly, in many DST servers, the role of a cook is also an often claimed role in the camp as some love designing a kitchen and making various crock pot dishes for other campers; Warly fits this position perfectly, instantly resonating with the playstyle of some as The Culinarian. The role of a cook or chef also holds quite a popularity in popular culture, with characters such as Sanji from One Piece. Basically I have no doubts he'd attract many.

As to the practical side of things, how can he tweaked for DST. Of course there are a million different things that can be done on the gameplay department but here's my personal view of how he would work. First, his Chef Pouch. I think it needs to be toned down as it completely overshadows insulated pack, an item that's supposedly made from boss loot, if Warly is going to be able to build and share his pouches. He should be able to do that without being too OP or too useless. I suggest a unique mechanic for it: a hat and a container in one! First off, to limit the item, it should only have 4 slots and these slots should only be fillable by food items like the candy bag item from hallowed nights event. It should, however, fully retain it's spoilage prevention function. About it's unique mechanic, I think it should be both equip-able in the head slot and the chest slot. In the chest slot, it'd work like original, like any containing bag, allowing you to carry 4 food items. However you should be able to carry it to the hat slot, which would retain what's inside but make them uninteractable, kind of like a bundled supplies box if it was a hat. This new chef pouch should be a Hat by default, its recipe being on the Dress tab and moving to the head when right clicked from inventory. In place of cloth from its crafting recipe in shipwrecked, I think Beeswax should be used, giving the item a new functionality and fitting as the insides should be able to slow the spoilage, like a mini bundling wrap.

Next, the Portable Crock Pot. I think this one's fine as it is but should be tweaked for the multiplayer scene. It should be craftable. Warly should be able to utilize it fully like he does in Shipwrecked while others should be limited in their interactions with it. While Warly should be able to set it up anywhere and dismantle it back into his inventory, others shouldn't have the ability to dismantle it. They should, however have access to its full potential as a crock pot and should be able to destroy it with hammer to prevent Warly from placing indestructible objects. I think Warly should be able to give it to other players from his inventory and other players should be able to set it up anywhere as if building a regular crock pot but should lack the ability to removing it once set, limiting this ability to Warly while saying a little dialogue about how their culinary knowledge isn't up for it.

I'm not sure about special recipes but he can keep the ones that are makeable with ingredients in DST (Fresh Fruit Crepes and Monster Tartare) and the rest (Sweet Potato Souffle and Mussel Bouillabaise) could be replaced by similar new ones like Carrot Cake (2 carrots, 2 eggs) and Eel Bouillabaise (2 Eel, 1 vegetable, 1 filler [can't be Lichen or makes Unagi]). Whether these recipes will be limited to the Portable Crock Pot or Warly himself is up to question but if it becomes the latter, he can have a unique crafting recipe called cook book, like Codex Umbra or Wickerbottom's books, made with his special dishes or various ingredients, which other characters can read to earn the ability of making the dishes kind of like a blueprint. I can also visualise a "Cooking notes" item in survival tab, giving Warly a recipes tab where he can build recipes with a paper, feather pen and the unique food item, perhaps making 4 shareable recipe notes. A more interesting option could be the Endtable opening this tab for Warly.

His other stats seem fine to me but could be changed if needed, I'm not a stats expert. Perhaps his tongue memory could be increased to 2 whole days but he can get greater bonuses from foods he didn't eat for a while. He'll be more dependant on actual healing items in boss battles but that's how he is anyway in the single player so I don't see a problem with him being reliant on carrying stacks of Healing Salves and Honey Poultices for the longer Boss Fights of DST. In any case I wholeheartedly believe that he'd make a great addition to DST and personally I'd be amongst those first in line to purchase this character if released as DLC like Wortox. Thanks for your attention and happy starvin'

On 5/24/2019 at 7:43 PM, Dr. Safety said:

Ẃ̴͖̻̯̥̟̤̦̩̰̄̿͆̌͌͌͑̒͜A̧͍͍͇̦͖̠̫̓̅̀͊̂ͅȒ̤̠̼̺̘̜̾̃̔̂̂͒͜͝Ļ̩̣̤̥͙̅́̃̑͋̓͊̍̓Y̢͕̘͓͑̐͆͌̇͠ͅ

Frankly I'd rather have no durability, and no way for other survivors to have access to carrying or using the portable crock pot (or chef's pouch for that matter). However if Warly is going to act as the food version of Wigfrid in terms of dispensing useful gear to others, I'd say let them not be nearly as efficient with it.
Of course I say that and I can already visualize the scary amount of people asking for a new portable crock pot because theirs broke.
Also if Warly is going to be able to give other survivors the chef's pouch, I'd say nerf it so it can only hold food, similarly to the hallowed nights candy bag thing.

I fully agree with this. I'd like to see Warly more as a chef than a dispensary. 

Might as well add some of my idea from my thread.

Meals cooked by him could offer a buff to whoever consumed it, like maybe health regen, faster movement speed, etc. I'm hoping with this he could have a useful role.

Something i think he needs to have a perk which makes him fun, the idea of Warly is really cool. But it isn't fun to play around with his upsides and downsides

I really like the ideas you gave him, really sounds cool.

Archived