The March QOL Beta is Coming Monday!

15 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

so in your opinion, you are only allowed to do possitive feedback? and if you say something negative to something, its only because of "the hate of change"? and there have been people more talkin about why they dont like it, like that its way to big and all that, just goin to ignore that?

Bruh, a feedback based on a print of the screen is worth nothing. If you don't like it when it releases, that is another story. Let's just wait to provide real feedback. 

1 hour ago, lionking102 said:

A lot more decoration to craft without cluttering the scroll-list for relevant survival stuff

yup, just more crafts in general

I'm sorry to say that, but I'm 99% sure an option for the old GUI will not happen. It is not just an button in the options-menu like with the backpack. The new GUI will be different and allow stuff that is not possible right now. So two GUI's mean two features that needs to be supported, bug fixed, read feedback etc. with the old one just getting worst over time with more and more items. Doesn't make sense from a developer perspective and that time would be better spend in other content I think. 

The new tabs, aside for the rain one, are (probably) just the old ones split though, shouldn't be too hard to sort new items automatically. It wouldn't be that good, but hey. It would affect description length and icon art tho.

More than 3 recipes crafting and therefore much better for mods.  

That's already possible, it just looks bad.

No clue what will happen with the hotkeys. I don't really care, I just want better sorting.

5 hours ago, Dr.Medic said:

so in your opinion, you are only allowed to do possitive feedback? and if you say something negative to something, its only because of "the hate of change"? and there have been people more talkin about why they dont like it, like that its way to big and all that, just goin to ignore that?

I think it's that, it's a bit pretentious to judge right away when all we have is an image. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks kinda weird too. But I remember people thought the RWYS farming would be too complicated from first glance despite not having actually played it. Humans being opposed to change is just a general human-thing, we don't really like changing a lot of the time. I'm not saying you can't give feedback right now, but I think it's early to give full judgement on it. Heck, I have some of my own gripes looking at the image right now, it looks like the new UI is missing a lot of the charm and style the old UI had, with how it looked like a vintage drawer(Heard someone else describe the old UI like that, and it's probably the best way to describe it imo) There were neat headers and ropes behind the crafting tab and it looked neat! But again, this UI supposedly has temporary art as of now, so I'm not giving my full judgement yet personally, but it is a worry I have, the size of the UI is another worry I have too. But surely you can think how discouraging to the devs it may be to hear "please add an option for switching between the old UI and the new one" before having even tried the new UI.

This pattern of "ooo no-likey" happens every single DST update before the community even gets to play the update or barely have! (I will never not love when people make posts 30 minutes after the release of an update, 4 in-game days mind you, giving their full judgement on the update and saying how it's overpowered/underpowered). Of course, you're all free to voice your opinions, but try to be a little open with things.

5 minutes ago, maradyne said:

I'm just curious about how stationary crafting stations will be displayed...

if

heh

Ooh this was a concern I had. Might just be me but it was always kind of satisfying going near a stationary crafting station and having a whole new tab appear, peaks the curiosity! I do wonder if the new UI will have that same kind of feeling.

I also wonder if Pearl trading(or even the Cawnival ticket booth "crafting") might change? Might just be me again, but I feel like the new UI wouldn't fit for stuff like Pearl Trading and the cawnival ticket booth thematically with how it looks now and the focus on crafting/building rather than also trading, while the old UI did work with stuff like that much more imo.

2 hours ago, Hornete said:

..But I remember people thought the RWYS farming would be too complicated from first glance despite not having actually played it...

Except.. it is kinda too complicated, in general, for bulk player-base. Forumers here, sharing lists of farming crop designs, nutrients intake and whatnot over time isn't at all representative for the level of knowledge and knowledge penetrance in player-base as a whole, not at all. Go on various Survival or Endless pubs, personal and/or dedicated to check how much farming random people do - spoiler: not much at all if any. Most don't even understand how to initiate crop farming, via Digamajig (name changed from Rigamajig precisely because of its counter-intuitiveness) and tilling. Crop combinations and nutrient intakes are already "Science Fiction" concepts for most players out there.

Related to exemplified Crafting UI in OP, some forumers (quite the number though) solely expressed concerns for its seemingly cluttering facet, big size, and apparent dupe/bloated filters/categories. Is fairly obvious on widescreens it occupies almost 1/2 of screen space when active; on 4:3 resolutions probably will be almost all screen covered by it. These are legitimate observations. Likewise, from past, I don't recall even one Beta test that hadn't had "preliminary presented" data that looked, felt and.. largely remained the same as a "final product" subsequently released to live servers.

For some people, yes, is enough to test, par example, Wolfgang's rework "30 minutes after the release" and come with the valid "ooo no-likey" initial impression, objectively (I for one did said testing for multiple hours-long various sessions to just confirm my original assessment in painstakingly detail: reworked Wolf is tedious, lot-more-stationary, loses too much Might after initial filling and the like).

Certainly will see Monday how big-or-small of a problem new Crafting UI is - or not. My preliminary assessment for my case: it will.

2 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

Little detail someone pointed out to me: the hammer looks like it requires science now, just like how it did in Vanilla DS! Interesting to see the change reverted back, but still neat to see.

B3A66B88-C605-4645-BEC1-E165BC5C1EC2.png.49a967ee54c9f5d192bbf485f27910cf.png

If that's true, why??? Hammer was perfectly fine before as a basic craft.

13 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

isnt the end of the world in case they change it, you already build it to hammer the science machine (actually sometimes i go close to the machine to craft it because i tent to think you need to prototype it xD)

Unnecessary change because it doesnt change anything for good. Would be dumb to change it when there are things that take the same time to be changed but are annoying and still there after many years

55 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Go on various Survival or Endless pubs, personal and/or dedicated to check how much farming random people do - spoiler: not much at all if any.

ive experienced the exact opposite actually, people on pubs do a LOT of farming. they dont usually use crop combos and a lot of the time people dont seem to recognize weeds until you teach them, but i see a farm plot with some random seeds growing on most any pub i play on. i dont think its "too complicated" for the bulk player base, because you dont HAVE to engage with like 90% of the intricacies, you can plant some seeds and water them and youre good.

14 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

ive experienced the exact opposite actually, people on pubs do a LOT of farming. they dont usually use crop combos and a lot of the time people dont seem to recognize weeds until you teach them, but i see a farm plot with some random seeds growing on most any pub i play on. i dont think its "too complicated" for the bulk player base, because you dont HAVE to engage with like 90% of the intricacies, you can plant some seeds and water them and youre good.

nah, impossible. Players cant learn an intuitive game mechanic that rewards for doing little things correctly 

the same applies to fighting, gathering resources and other things. DST is played only by people that cant learn how to play a videogame, just impossible

/sarcasm

19 minutes ago, meow meow meow said:

but to learn the mechanic thorough enough was a mind boggling experience enough had to get a friend to explain it like 4 times asking what crop combos are

10 minutes ago, Dextops said:

but to learn the mechanic thorough enough was a mind boggling experience enough had to get a friend to explain it like 4 times asking what crop combos are

that is kinda explained in school when they tell you that you shouldnt plant the same kind of trees in the same soil over and over and over but plant other stuff to recover certain nutrients or let the ground "rest" by no planting at all during a period of time... also is clear with the nutrient arrows in the gardener hat or that is as simple as "some veggies feed each other"

sometimes we dont understand something at first because of "brain lag" or because isnt our thing (like people that have hard time with maths but not with other stuff) but doesnt mean that is complicated. Also throw experience is easy than trying to understand what someone is telling you

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

that is kinda explained in school when they tell you that you shouldnt plant the same kind of trees in the same soil over and over and over

they teach you that? i was just taught what a circle is and how to read

On 2/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, JoeW said:
  • Crafting menu has been redesigned. We are looking forward to your suggestions and feedback on the new system when the beta is released.
  • Ancient Guardian has been reworked into a multi stage fight.
  • Deerclops attack is now directional.
  • The loading screen now has tips and lore nuggets.
  • Options screen has a description for each setting.

You see that? Not 1, 2, 3, or 4, but 5 older things being touched up in a single update.
That's music to my ears.
And what's that? Hope you say? Hope that Smallbirds/Baby killing tallbirds may be touched up in the future is returning too?
Well I'll be. Consider my doors open. 

1 hour ago, Starlogy said:

Pretty sure it’s so people can’t join a world and then immediately hammer pig houses to speed run getting boards, Cutstone & pigskin.

I’m guilty of doing this a few times myself, but it’s not too big of a change so long as you know how to find and get those things the “intended” way.

On 2/24/2022 at 8:36 PM, JoeW said:

• Steam Cloud Save support

Question

Does that mean entire Klei/DoNotStarveTogether

will be now stored on the cloud ?

On 2/24/2022 at 9:12 PM, Captain_Rage said:

I sincerely hope this is some primordial prototype or brainstorm concept. The crafting interface looks bland and intrusive, if anything. :-o The current crafting interface could use a brush-up, though. No doubt about that.

Also... what is up with the pipsqueak guardian pigman..??

image.thumb.png.51795afa65c228b3f77383d764472d11.png

That pig is in Debug Mode for devs

If its alive you have godmode

if its dead its disabled

On 2/25/2022 at 4:00 PM, Wonz said:

Will the crafting changes include something like this? 

1.Trying to craft spear.

2.No rope but i have 3 grass.

3.Clicking rope in ingredient window instead of going to refine tab to craft it.

4. Now i can craft the missing ingredient and the spear in one tab.

It'd be rather nice if when you clicked on craft an specific item that requires an refined item would do it automatically for you with either confirmation or not based on players setting

Archived