The March QOL Beta is Coming Monday!

I'm a bit confused about the new crafting menu. This seems like it will help new players in their very first play through. Even for them, it will only be useful for the first winter. First year at most. Once you craft stuff a few times, you know where it is  (ex. backpack always towards the bottom of survival, thermal stone right above it). 

Let's just say a personal world lasts 200-300 days. This added size/complexity doesn't feel needed for the benefit of locating craftables during the first year. Only benefit is to allow players to see what they could possibly craft. Ex. what weapons and thermal insulation they could potentially get. Again, this is only helpful for new players. While that in itself isn't an issue, there is a tradeoff here since that crafting menu is massive. 

42 minutes ago, MetalFrogg said:

I see the mighty meter increasing even though Wolfgang isn't lifting weights, does this mean you can get mighty without lifting dumbells now?

probably mighty maintenance while *fighting*. 

Now that I think about it, I wonder where they'll put dual purpose items. This applies mainly to clothing items. Eyebrella is equally good for summer insulation and rain. Same goes for umbrella. Would help newer players if we're trying to make a new-player friendly interface. 

4 hours ago, lionking102 said:

So first of all: I think it's amazing how big this QOL is and how many important points are beeing tackled here after only 4 weeks since the last update!

And I'm so sad how much negativity you find in the forums sometimes... Klei for sure has worked hard on that stuff over the months and without even trying in an BETA for every point on that list someone is complaining...

I'm really excited and I think a lot of important stuff ist covered. Of course not everything, but that needs time so please give the developers that time! 

And now for the crafting GUI: 

• I can't understand that people think the old one was fine and should have stayed. It was not that bad, but it also was not good and it had many problems. For older players it was reasonable, but for new players it was so bad. I play a lot with friends that are new to DST and they never find the stuff they look for, even with telling them the category. Even after playing for a while players couldn't find stuff especially if it was new to the game. It also was endless scrolling (with resetting the list after shard change, so bundling wraps was a pain) and the tabs on the bottom in creative and mods.... Yes....
  • The new UI will invite new players to discover new recipes more. The current UI doesn't make them explore what else there is to craft. 
  • The amount of crafting recipes will not stay the same! We all want more turfs, decorations, new items and as we know now: Klei has big plans for the coming years. So in two years we should just scroll and search longer and longer? A search bar is just an insane mighty tool in every game and operating system and is one of the most important things they could have added. 
  • Yes the new interface is bigger. But why do people think it is cluttered? It is as simple as possible with only the necessary buttons we had before. Of course it will get used to. Everything new needs to get used to, just give it that time please. And don't forget: It's a preview of and beta! I personally think it will be so much more useful and less annoying than the old one and above all: Future proof!
  • I also liked the old icons but I think the search filters beeing monochrom is important for the GUI. Otherwise it would look a lot more cluttered, it helps  differentiate between categories and items. Everything around is colored and also the icons are really small, you can't compare that to the much bigger older items. 

Of course it will be a big change and take some getting used to. But it was much needed and I think after two months with the final design no one wants to go back... At least I hope  :grin:

so many people ask for the ability to choose which type of menu they use.
and the new menu is very cumbersome and this cannot be denied, but it can be made a little better if you make it literally 2 filter icons thinner, thus making it taller, and it will be more than good. But for those who have gotten used to the old menu over the years and intuitively select the desired tab, there should be an option to leave the menu.

and I also feel we have to click on the mouse a lot of times to craft something.
new menu:
open the menu / select a filter / select an item / click create.
old menu:
select a tab / click on the desired craft

4 minutes ago, Notecja said:

rather: 

select tab/scroll/keep scrolling/keep scrolling little more/oh wrong tab/again scrolling/choose item/click to craft

its like those old commercials where they mess up such a simple task:

"do you have trouble holding a pen?" and it shows someone fumbling with a pen so badly

6 minutes ago, Dextops said:

its like those old commercials where they mess up such a simple task:

"do you have trouble holding a pen?" and it shows someone fumbling with a pen so badly

I play with mods that add lots extra recipes. Some of them add like 10-20 decor items in one tab. It's really a hell to scroll, especially I just like unlocking all recipes, including ancient decor items. So yes, is a bit more problem than you think... Is more like holding a pen, books, cup of tea, bag of candies, box of photos and one anvil.

7 minutes ago, Notecja said:

I play with mods that add lots extra recipes. Some of them add like 10-20 decor items in one tab. It's really a hell to scroll, especially I just like unlocking all recipes, including ancient decor items. So yes, is a bit more problem than you think... Is more like holding a pen, books, cup of tea, bag of candies, box of photos and one anvil.

i don't really think the game should be responsible for what a mod does and for someone who plays mostly modless i've never really had trouble except for the structure tab but i don't megabase or build good looking bases in the first place so still hasn't been a problem for me

3 minutes ago, Dextops said:

i don't really think the game should be responsible for what a mod does and for someone who plays mostly modless i've never really had trouble except for the structure tab but i don't megabase or build good looking bases in the first place so still hasn't been a problem for me

you said it, for you. Some updates are focused on other people that arent us

for example, there is a lot of people that dont like fighting bosses but there is an AG rework or other updates focused on building when there is a lot of people who dont enjoy doing fancy bases, other updates focused on new players which doesnt affect us, etc

is a bussiness

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you said that, for you. Some updates are focused on other people that arent us

for example, there is a lot of people that dont like fighting bosses but there is an AG rework

i can only speak for me because i am the only person i know well enough to speak on my behalf

Wow that crafting UI does not look good from a console player perspective. This looks like it was designed around PC and console users can pound sand. may be dramatic but its what i feel. you can freely move around with WASD and use the mouse to freely choose the tabs but on console its a whole different animal. I dont think this is it for us console folk. unless Klei finally allows M/KB inputs on console. 

New UI looks awful especially for console, it just needed some tweaking not a complete overhaul like this. Even with mouse and keyboard input it would be no good for console as those without and using controllers would still be screwed. 

Why does it cover the majority of the screen? That isn't helpful or ideal =(              It also doesn't look as good as the old one either, it just looks weird and overtuned. the old one was unique and has charm whereas this new one is bland and as others have said is more fitting for like a building simulation type of game not for a game like dst with survival elements.

Crafting during battles or crafting something key right before something bad happens seems like it's going to be far more difficult and clunky now. 

Yes it's early days and who knows it could turn out incredible in the end but from first glance it honestly just looks a bit terrible, please give us the option of keeping the old UI klei!! 

The other changes all look great, can't wait to fight AG and see if he has new loot or new crafts with his horn!

Love this! Also love the pins so you have a quick craft build slots without having to open the full tabs, well thats what it looks like to me! So excited for that. 8 pined items maybe? I would use them for 

!torch

!campfire

!spear/weapon

!armor

and I am not sure! 

Lore Nuggets!!! 

Actually, I just had some thoughts.

• How will the new crafting filter system affect mods?
    • Will modded items be shunted into the "all" tab (the asterisk, I'm assuming) and need new code to be sorted by the filters properly?
    • What about mods that preferred to add their own crafting categories?
      • Will there be support for custom filter buttons?
    • For that matter, how will miscellaneous tabs like Offerings or the Cawnival stuff be sorted? It would be rather inconvenient if they got split up based on other factors.

4 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Crafting during battles or crafting something key right before something bad happens seems like it's going to be far more difficult and clunky now. 

You can pin recipes for quick access. Quicker access than you can with the current UI.

13 hours ago, Maksym.12 said:

so many people ask for the ability to choose which type of menu they use.
and the new menu is very cumbersome and this cannot be denied, but it can be made a little better if you make it literally 2 filter icons thinner, thus making it taller, and it will be more than good. But for those who have gotten used to the old menu over the years and intuitively select the desired tab, there should be an option to leave the menu.

and I also feel we have to click on the mouse a lot of times to craft something.
new menu:
open the menu / select a filter / select an item / click create.
old menu:
select a tab / click on the desired craft

I'm sorry to say that, but I'm 99% sure an option for the old GUI will not happen and it shouldn't. It is not just an button in the options-menu like with the backpack. The new GUI will be different and allow stuff that is not possible right now. So two GUI's mean two features that needs to be supported, bug fixed, read feedback etc. with the old one just getting worst over time with more and more items. Doesn't make sense from a developer perspective and that time would be better spend in other content I think. 
But again: We have seen ONE picture of an preview and people do statements that they "don't like it"... Thats just general negativity against change, can't say it other than that. People want the game to change and when it changes they want it as before :roll:

So the new GUI is not just a reskin of the old one, it will allow different things that are not possible right now, like:

• Longer item description, maybe how good an item is for rain or cold protection.
  • More than 3 recipes crafting and therefore much better for mods. 
  • A lot more decoration to craft without cluttering the scroll-list for relevant survival stuff
  • etc. 

And I can't agree with the statement about mouse clicking: 

• The new GUI will almost certain have a hotkey to open the crafting menu like every other survival game and that is always faster than clicking. 
  • There are 8 pined items that can be crafted with one click afaik: If you use them in every stage of the game right about 50% of the crafts for me could only be these items. In endgame rope and bundlingwraps alone are about 20% of all my crafts. 
  • There is no more scrolling which takes longer than clicking. 
  • Who says that we need to click on "build" to build the item? Maybe we can just click a second time on the item in the list to craft it, so its: "Hotkey for crafting-menu, click category, double click item". Considering no scrolling that is quicker than right now. 

Klei needs good feedback from us when beta hits, so the new GUI can live up to it's potential!
"I want the old one back" without trying, knowing what Klei has planed for the future, considering the game going forward and especially without any solid argument doesn't do anyone any good. 
We need to test and give quality feedback so that the new GUI will be awesome! :)

53 minutes ago, lionking102 said:

I'm sorry to say that, but I'm 99% sure an option for the old GUI will not happen and it shouldn't. It is not just an button in the options-menu like with the backpack. The new GUI will be different and allow stuff that is not possible right now. So two GUI's mean two features that needs to be supported, bug fixed, read feedback etc. with the old one just getting worst over time with more and more items. Doesn't make sense from a developer perspective and that time would be better spend in other content I think. 
But again: We have seen ONE picture of an preview and people do statements that they "don't like it"... Thats just general negativity against change, can't say it other than that. People want the game to change and when it changes they want it as before :roll:

So the new GUI is not just a reskin of the old one, it will allow different things that are not possible right now, like:

• Longer item description, maybe how good an item is for rain or cold protection.
  • More than 3 recipes crafting and therefore much better for mods. 
  • A lot more decoration to craft without cluttering the scroll-list for relevant survival stuff
  • etc. 

And I can't agree with the statement about mouse clicking: 

• The new GUI will almost certain have a hotkey to open the crafting menu like every other survival game and that is always faster than clicking. 
  • There are 8 pined items that can be crafted with one click afaik: If you use them in every stage of the game right about 50% of the crafts for me could only be these items. In endgame rope and bundlingwraps alone are about 20% of all my crafts. 
  • There is no more scrolling which takes longer than clicking. 
  • Who says that we need to click on "build" to build the item? Maybe we can just click a second time on the item in the list to craft it, so its: "Hotkey for crafting-menu, click category, double click item". Considering no scrolling that is quicker than right now. 

Klei needs good feedback from us when beta hits, so the new GUI can live up to it's potential!
"I want the old one back" without trying, knowing what Klei has planed for the future, considering the game going forward and especially without any solid argument doesn't do anyone any good. 
We need to test and give quality feedback so that the new GUI will be awesome! :)

so in your opinion, you are only allowed to do possitive feedback? and if you say something negative to something, its only because of "the hate of change"? and there have been people more talkin about why they dont like it, like that its way to big and all that, just goin to ignore that?

Archived