Return of Them Beta: Eye of the Storm Update

1 hour ago, Maxil20 said:

Spoilers for a new item below!

Reveal hidden contents

So there seem to be a new bone armor like item you can get now, called the celestial crown. The only way to get it is killing the tier 3 celestial champion, which basically means you need every altar assembled and other miscellaneous tasks. Needless to say, this is not cheap and is basically an endgame thing!

• The crown is impossible to break. And when I mean impossible, I mean it doesn't have durability.
  • The item by default provides 10 sanity per minute (for comparison, a tam is 6.7, and a top hat is 3.3)
  • When above 85% sanity, the crown will start hovering over a players head. This gives you 2 unique perks:
    • The item will start glowing, with a radius stronger then a miner hat. As long as you are above the sanity threshold, it will never cease to stop glowing, and combined with it's eternal durability + natural sanity regen means you have an infinite light headpiece in optimal conditions.
    • Hitting any enemy with any item equipped will cause a gestalt to appear and attack the enemy you hit. The damage is 42.5 by default, and seems to not be impacted by character modifiers (could be wrong, though). This saps 1 sanity per use, and will take you below the threshold if you are not careful, leaving you in darkness if you are using it for light.

Overall, it's a very unique item! I can see myself using it for sure, especially as a good sanity piece. I'm happy for new toys to use (and maybe potentially even more to come!)

Now that's an endgame item all right... can replace Tam completely as it gives a higher sanity boost and is unbreakable... also gives off light as long as you are high sanity and has a combat effect that allows you to shoot out gestalts.. I need one asap

42 minutes ago, Gleenus said:

Well, it is in Portuguese, but if you want to see what the boss does, you can watch here

That battle looks crazy... doesn't seem like it has much health though?

3 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

Now that's an endgame item all right... can replace Tam completely as it gives a higher sanity boost and is unbreakable... also gives off light as long as you are high sanity and has a combat effect that allows you to shoot out gestalts.. I need one asap

That battle looks crazy... doesn't seem like it has much health though?

First stage has 12000

Second stage has something between 13000 and 20000 (the variables in the codes say "current health 13000" and "maxhealth 20000"

And the last stage has something between 14000 and 22500

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sanity 1

1 minute ago, Gleenus said:

First stage has 12000

Second stage has something between 13000 and 20000 (the variables in the codes say "current health 13000" and "maxhealth 20000"

And the last stage has something between 14000 and 22500

Yep just watched the english vid and know the spear does 2000 per hit now haha

Here's my take on the new content:

Spoiler

I wanted to experience the new content without spoilers so I went in blind to many things. Had a few issues but after re-logging I got to fight the boss. Of which I say....hoo boy, good luck taking that thing down. I thought the first phase was pretty easy all things considered, but during the second phase (also nice touch on the designs, I like how each phase is designed after the respective altar) I had to turn on godmode to beat the thing (I just wanted to see what happens). Really challenging and a good rival to the fuelweaver in terms of difficulty overall. I only wish Helicalpuma were able to see this; I think he would've loved fighting this boss. As for the inclusion of Wagstaff, I am a bit torn on it personally. On one hand I'm on the Wagstaff hype train for being in DST, but on the other hand I feel like his role is pretty brief in the long-run. He appears to give the player blueprints, starts an interactive event, and shows up after you beat the champion to collect something. At minimum I would personally like to see more dialogue and/or a more fleshed out sequence of him taking something from the defeated boss (via machine or whatever else, right now he just seems to do the picking animation), and at most I would love to see him play a role in the fight itself. I certainly hope he returns at a later point.

One thing's for sure though, I'll never get a skin for that crown. Not because I think it's bad or anything, but because I don't think I could get through all those fights leading up to it in one piece lol. Nice job Klei, it's really cool.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I killed the boss via melee as Wilson if you're curious. I used commands to give myself stuff in a new world after streaming it in a world I already had.

Shouldn't take away from the kiting pattern of the fight. If anything, I feel like I can refine it a lot more, but it's a late update my time and I need to sleep.

Spoiler

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

Spoilers for a new item below!

Reveal hidden contents

So there seem to be a new bone armor like item you can get now, called the celestial crown. The only way to get it is killing the tier 3 celestial champion, which basically means you need every altar assembled and other miscellaneous tasks. Needless to say, this is not cheap and is basically an endgame thing!

• The crown is impossible to break. And when I mean impossible, I mean it doesn't have durability.
  • The item by default provides 10 sanity per minute (for comparison, a tam is 6.7, and a top hat is 3.3)
  • When above 85% sanity, the crown will start hovering over a players head. This gives you 2 unique perks:
    • The item will start glowing, with a radius stronger then a miner hat. As long as you are above the sanity threshold, it will never cease to stop glowing, and combined with it's eternal durability + natural sanity regen means you have an infinite light headpiece in optimal conditions.
    • Hitting any enemy with any item equipped will cause a gestalt to appear and attack the enemy you hit. The damage is 42.5 by default, and seems to not be impacted by character modifiers (could be wrong, though). This saps 1 sanity per use, and will take you below the threshold if you are not careful, leaving you in darkness if you are using it for light.

Overall, it's a very unique item! I can see myself using it for sure, especially as a good sanity piece. I'm happy for new toys to use (and maybe potentially even more to come!)

Dear god. An endgame item that replaces at least two or three other items.  Very cool design as well! Unfortunately thought it seems as though I'll never be able to actual get one myself through legitimate means because oh my this new boss seems hard

Hey look I totally called it eons ago- It Was yet another new boss.

:( I want some new islands and mobs to fight for day to day sailing/survival.. Guess I’ll wait to see what the other updates scheduled for this year will bring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

What part of this is grinding?

54 minutes ago, BoySyrup said:

..? This continues right off of the content introduced in Forgotten Knowledge, where is this update MMO-esque?

Doing the Hermit Crabs quests, grinding for the materials for Wagstaff, doing all the fetch quests and nonsense time wasting tasks that remind me of a boring MMO.

There are so many menial little tasks that have strayed so far away from the core of the game.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Sad Dupe 2

40 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Doing the Hermit Crabs quests, grinding for the materials for Wagstaff, doing all the fetch quests and nonsense time wasting tasks that remind me of a boring MMO.

There are so many menial little tasks that have strayed so far away from the core of the game.

None of that is grinding. What do you think grinding means, "Playing the game"?

• Like 3
  • Sad Dupe 1

Added the two big offending overlays from this update to my overlays disabling mod if anyone else wants to turn it off client-side.  Still all pick and choose with the mod config.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=368686576

The effect makes me queasy looking at it for too long.  I think it's too fast and fish-eye lens is what's getting me.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 4