Return of Them Beta: Eye of the Storm Update

7 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Having to do a repetitive menial task to progress counts as grinding.

Well this game itself is an aggregation of "repetitive menial task". And I think those new contents are at least less repetitive than harvest grass, twigs, berries and stone fruits every minutes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Potato Cup 2

Does this update finally include some progression? Some actuall consequences to our actions?

Does something special happen that will persist forever in the world after we defeat celestial champion? Or is it just another fight for the sake of loot and lore?

New updates seem to be focused purely on the lore, endgame and progressing the story line. I want some updates that'll change and alter the base game, it's seasons, mobs and mechanics. It's getting tiring at this point.

Wow new update. Let me just walk to my already constructed mysterious energy, experience it all within an hour and a half and then leave dst for another month.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Ninja 1
  • Wavey 1
  • Big Ups 3
  • Sad Dupe 2
  • Potato Cup 1

Guys, I checked the quote files: ALTERGUARDIAN is the name of Celestial Guardian
EDIT:
ALTERGUARDIAN_PHASE3DEADORB = "This power, it feels like... but it couldn't be...",
ALTERGUARDIAN_PHASE3DEAD = "I don't know what to believe. All this time, I thought that They were...",

this 2 lines of Maxwell quotes also makes me corcern what are we about to deal with now...

Edited by DDNW
  • Like 2
  • GL Happy 1

8 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Are we going to get a separate ancient race?!498008523_smithoyaydiscordemote.png.8a277da56c412c63da5b611b9b7fbabf.png

Or a show down between Wagstaff and Charlie since i'm assuming  that the sealed portal in archives is where he's gonna go next.

Edited by bruhmoment23
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, DDNW said:

Guys, I checked the quote files: ALTERGUARDIAN is the name of Celestial Guardian
EDIT:
ALTERGUARDIAN_PHASE3DEADORB = "This power, it feels like... but it couldn't be...",
ALTERGUARDIAN_PHASE3DEAD = "I don't know what to believe. All this time, I thought that They were...",

this 2 lines of Maxwell quotes also makes me corcern what are we about to deal with now...

Maxwell's has been caught by dementia and forgets he is supposed to finish the sentences.

5 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Doing the Hermit Crabs quests, grinding for the materials for Wagstaff, doing all the fetch quests and nonsense time wasting tasks that remind me of a boring MMO.

There are so many menial little tasks that have strayed so far away from the core of the game.

I see it as task to continue the adventure. That isnt grinding lel

But chopping trees because burning trees last few seconds is totally fun, challenging and not grindy ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HeatAndRun said:

After browsing a few communities I'm frankly quite surprised how many people doesn't know who is Wagstaff.

Wew lad, who would've thought bulk player-base has no idea about Wagstaff and his "lore"/shenanigans?! :distant:

5 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Doing the Hermit Crabs quests, grinding for the materials for Wagstaff, doing all the fetch quests and nonsense time wasting tasks that remind me of a boring MMO.

There are so many menial little tasks that have strayed so far away from the core of the game.

Dandy! And what's your suggestion for a "proper" non-"boring MMO" update a la "core of the game"?

Pls don't write "more mob waves" in a giant Battle-Arena vein ("Rats anyone? Rat-waves coming to steal your $hit stuff and wreak your base, woohooo, f%*k bases, this is nomad hardcore survival land!")

Is nice the environmental change from Moonstorm event, more of that would be welcomed, perhaps in semi-/permanent way. I for one fancy little optional quests impacting world, and NPCs, hence am glad with said aspect too - the Wagstaff's pursuits. Sadly from my pov, it all boils down to just another "ultimate boss" fight. Is fine, the boss concept and fight, but I for one would've desire more World mechanics, changes, new mobs, biomes etc. Still, apparently we got a conclusion on this "Return of Them" saga-arc, even if I still have no clue who "Them" are.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Does this update finally include some progression? Some actuall consequences to our actions?

Does something special happen that will persist forever in the world after we defeat celestial champion? Or is it just another fight for the sake of loot and lore?

New updates seem to be focused purely on the lore, endgame and progressing the story line. I want some updates that'll change and alter the base game, it's seasons, mobs and mechanics. It's getting tiring at this point.

Wow new update. Let me just walk to my already constructed mysterious energy, experience it all within an hour and a half and then leave dst for another month.

i am very sure that the devs are as caring about this issue as you are
but for now they have got to finish up some things to start other projects
i remember during late 2018/early 2019 alot of forum members here would have loved to see a new update even
remember that one thread which had alot of discussion about future updates? the one with around 30-40 pages?
i am sure that the devs are working hard on these and they cant light the candle on both ends
i think these updates are real great for new avid fans that are just beggining and are getting into the game
we older fans have experienced most of the content the game has to offer thats why i think you're getting tired of the new lore updates
if you were a new dont starve fan im pretty sure you'd be head over heels right now
when you say 1.5 hours of gameplay each update that means you have played long enough on a world to be able to defeat such a boss and im pretty sure most people dont get that far :0
im sure that after these updates they'll do something about replay too and i think the game already has a fine amount of replay value of itself honestly
just wait a bit
klei doesnt disappoint most of the time
or atleast in my opinion that is

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

I think it would be nice if the ocean was more interwoven with the world, with some season specific resources that would aid survival. Or just give you a reason to go early in general 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Its one hour and half that is added in every world you play. Dst needs what you said but more stuff to do is good because makes every run longer instead of finishing early and just do megabasing or create a new world

4 minutes ago, Well-met said:

Little nitpick but Wagstaff should only do the /joy emote once. Not repeatedly until phased out

Why should he? One doesn't only Teabag once, and he doesn't only /joy once. But yeah, it is a bit weird, but he's happy, I guess, that you've allowed him to do whatever it is that he does. Probably something incredibly s  u  s

Anyway, Champ's gonna have her own music though, right? I feel like this is a stupid question cause, of course she will, but I still feel like asking it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I can see where Scrimbles is coming from in that ROT feels "grindy" (I probably would use a different word still though). Not necessarily because of monotony, but rather because many of the new interactions are akin to quests that you get from an MMO RPG, which I'm honestly fine with. It provides something to do in the lategame when the world no longer provides anything for you to do. But cmon, we all know that at least the crabby hermit line of quests feels a bit far from survival. (Though I do applaud it for keeping it different than other interactions in the game)

I know that reality is that ROT is not aimed at a player that is solely focused on survival, but if you think about it, it's kinda been this way for quite a while. Even the addition of caves were just a rabbit hole to look down when you had mastered survival (Or side-quest to do on your way to mastery). I would say the last truly survival based update was ROG (possibly include RWYS as an exception if you decide to use the system).

Now before anyone gets any ideas; I'm not complaining about the direction of updates to the game thus far. In fact, I enjoy the direction the game has been taking immensely because it taps into the explorative part of DST in a similar vein to the ruins and caves (archives and lunar island). I also believe it gives us more room to figure out how to add more challenges to the "pure" survival end of the spectrum, especially considering it gives us loads of mobs, materials, and locations to try and incorporate into basic survival as well. Let's just say that it allows us to creatively place pressure in certain areas using the content that we already have.

I see that x0-VERSUS-1y has already made reference to Uncompromising Mode, regardless of anyone's opinion of the mod itself I might as well give an example of how modders can use the new ROT content to introduce a mechanic that directly impacts survival. Scrimbles did this by introducing shattered spider and hound mutation on full moons. Now, even if of you don't like this mechanic. You have to admit that it takes ROT content, and introduces it in a light that the player focused on pure survival may have to consider whilst climbing the ladder to mastery of Survival. A way to incorporate ROT mechanics into basic survival, in short.

Spoiler

And no, I didn't include the UM reference as an opportunity to shill out our mod to everyone in the ROT chat. I'm sure most of you already know of the mod regardless (for better or for worse lol), so "this is advertising" is not true. I'm only using it as a means to convey ideas.

• Thanks 1