Return of Them Beta: Eye of the Storm Update

but this is souposed to be the final of return of them is it? that cant be that just cant be the final there has to be something more i mean we dit not realy learn what them is so far as i can tell them is just some german moon ghost if anything that dont like shadows

1 minute ago, Dr.Medic said:

but this is souposed to be the final of return of them is it? that cant be that just cant be the final there has to be something more i mean we dit not realy learn what them is so far as i can tell them is just some german moon ghost if anything that dont like shadows

nobody said this is the last update

Maybe the real Them were the friends we made in the Constant all along.

Honestly though, I love what I'm seeing so far, didn't expect the Wagstaff part at all, but I'm also a little afraid now, that the endgame lore might turn out as something as underwhelming as everything being kind of a sandbox experiment from Wagstaff with him as the mastermind. I'm really hoping for some more shadow/insanity/Metheus-lore parallel to the moon stuff, not an "it was just a prank, bro" ending.

And after the last update was quite colorful and cheery and the moon stuff looks rather flashy and sparkly, I'd love to see a little more of the rather dark, nostalgic, burtonesque style that the game is famous for.

Edited by Falkenpelz

1 minute ago, Dr.Medic said:

image.png.3be3e5ef8b1ddf337d2fd59992c2403c.png

sounds to me to be final

Again, working towards ~= final.

Considering the sealed portal is still sealed, the fact we have no good conclusion yet and theres still two content updates to go as pointed out in the roadmap, RoT is probably still on-going.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, HeatAndRun said:

Well this game itself is an aggregation of "repetitive menial task". And I think those new contents are at least less repetitive than harvest grass, twigs, berries and stone fruits every minutes.

Maybe Klei should improve the core game content instead of adding content that has no real depth, that people will forget about, and a huge portion of the player base will never experience, or never have any REASON to experience it.

3 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I for one would've desire more World mechanics, changes, new mobs, biomes etc.

Am I allowed to advertise Uncompromising Mode yet?

If you want snowstorms, new hounds, new shadows, new miscellaneous mobs, the return of the RoG Dragonfly, new items, rewards, unique random night events, and soon to be added brand new hand animated attacks for mobs like the Bearger, Gmoose, Krampus, etc, then it sounds like the mod for you?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2039181790

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 2

8 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

Maybe Klei should improve the core game content instead of adding content that has no real depth, that people will forget about, and a huge portion of the player base will never experience, or never have any REASON to experience it.

If you want snowstorms, new hounds, new shadows, new miscellaneous mobs, the return of the RoG Dragonfly, new items, rewards, unique random night events, and soon to be added brand new hand animated attacks for mobs like the Bearger, Gmoose, Krampus, etc, then it sounds like the mod for you?

Were the mod to be fully customizable so that I could turn off the features I don't particularly like (similar to the base game) I'd love it, but given how stuff is, I can't really get into it.

• Like 2

Just now, JosePapp said:

Were the mod to be fully customizable so that I could turn off the features I don't particularly like (similar to the base game) I'd love it, but given how stuff is, I can't really get into it.

More config options are coming in the future, we want to get as much feedback as possible in BETA so were limiting what can be turned off for now.

But I don't want to get too off topic, JoeW will give me the boot.

• Like 1
  • Shopcat 1

Are the dedicated server files not updated or am I just doing something wrong? I even tried download them onto another folder, but it just downloads the normal version(458972) and not the beta one.

c:\steamcmd\steamcmd.exe +force_install_dir "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\DST Beta" +login anonymous +app_update 343050 -beta returnofthembeta +quit
cd /D "c:\steamcmd\steamapps\common\DST BETA\bin"
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster 2021-Apr_Wurt_World_Beta -shard Master
start dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -console -cluster 2021-Apr_Wurt_World_Beta -shard Caves

My .bat for reference.

38 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

that mod is the true grind

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

Having to do a repetitive menial task to progress counts as grinding.

And you've described no repetitive menial tasks, you've described a various assortment of tasks. Which task specifically is repetitive and menial? Is it the torturous three seconds it takes to dry 6 food items? The agonizing five seconds it takes to get 8 berry bushes? The unbearable 2 seconds it takes to punch a lureplant? The soulcrushing 15 seconds it takes to pick a few cactus flowers?

Edited by Cheggf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Jason @zarklord_klei I tried to switch from the stable branch to beta on a Linux machine and for some reason steamcmd doesn't switch properly. Can someone have a look at this? Thanks.

Here's my dst-update.sh file:

#!/bin/bash

steamcmd_dir="$HOME/steamcmd"
install_dir="$HOME/dontstarvetogether_dedicated_server"

function fail()
{
        echo Error: "$@" >&2
        exit 1
}

cd "$steamcmd_dir" || fail "Missing $steamcmd_dir directory!"
$steamcmd_dir/steamcmd.sh +force_install_dir "$install_dir" +login anonymous +app_update 343050 -beta returnofthembeta +quit

ran this a couple of times and result is always: Success! App '343050' already up to date.

I even shoved in a "verify" in the line and all was fine, yet I'm still playing in the stable branch in version 458972 and can't switch no matter what I try. How do i know? well, when game starts says [00:00:00]: Don't Starve Together: 458972 LINUX

• Like 1

I watched that OrangE video, and I honestly agree with the Wagstaff thing. I think he'll be the next villain instead of a playable character.

Honestly I don't want him OR Charlie to be playable. It might be interesting enough for lore purposes, but.. I feel like Wagstaff just isn't very compatible for DST as a playable character for gameplay reasons AND just sort of logical reasons. He wants to explore and exploit the constant, whilst everyone else wants to escape it. Everyone would be trying to work to escape, while he's dragging them in the other direction.

Charlie is great and all, but I think she'd just be female Maxwell. It would be cool if maybe she escaped the constant (is that where she is? I have no idea), and then she became good and found a way to contact and communicate with the survivors, and helped them to escape, but her being playable just feels unnecessary.

Wagstaff, maybe he will try to enslave the survivors to help him exploit things like nightmare fuel and bring it to the real world, or he'll just try and force them to stay there as his science experiments and such. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Does this update finally include some progression? Some actuall consequences to our actions?

Does something special happen that will persist forever in the world after we defeat celestial champion? Or is it just another fight for the sake of loot and lore?

New updates seem to be focused purely on the lore, endgame and progressing the story line. I want some updates that'll change and alter the base game, it's seasons, mobs and mechanics. It's getting tiring at this point.

Wow new update. Let me just walk to my already constructed mysterious energy, experience it all within an hour and a half and then leave dst for another month.

T H I S.

As much as I find this little beta update amazing in terms of lore... That's all it is, lore. 

This is a thing most players will do once, and it'll not change how you play the game whatsoever, yes, believe it or not 1 item doesn't change the game all that much.

DST is in a dire need of LONG LASTING updates that will change the CORE of its gameplay, something that will change the game long term, and not an hour and a half event like you've said so yourself.

But yeah, a cool update, hoping for more after this, like maybe a new season, or a new in game event that alters survival.

Happy late Easter to y'all, and happy upcoming Easter to eastern European gang like myself.

• Like 13

wagstaff dont starve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone else finds the boss design lame? i know that it might be one of the most complex and fun boss battles in the game but the design is still extremelly geometrical and seems unfinished, is this really better than a giant moth, whale, cthulhu or any final boss that would fit way better to this update?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, The batting bat said:

anyone else finds the boss design lame? i know that it might be one of the most complex and fun boss battles in the game but the design is still extremelly geometrical and seems unfinished, is this really better than a giant moth, whale, cthulhu or any final boss that would fit way better to this update?

But that's the point. It's no animal, because it is straight from the core of the moon, of course it doesn't fit in with the roster

• Like 12

12 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

nobody said this is the last update

I saw it mentioned somewhere lol, we still travell through a dangerous puzzle filled underground maze, defeat a giant crab boss and pass through a tower defense game in the middle of a storm for one of the lamiest boss designs i've ever seen, completely away from don't starve patterns, looks like a boss from the 1st-3rd world of a kirby game, this is just my opinion but i'm pretty sure that a part of everyone thinks partially the same, i mean what else do you think about when you compare the magnifying beasts that this game has as bosses to this giant altar ball thing that looks like an unfinished boss, the battle is amazing but the design really enrages me, from all phases.
I know the update is just in beta but klei never does any alteration to betas besides bug fixes, also the RoT updares are very downgraded comparing to New reign, while NR added many cool stuff and amazing bosses for each update RoT just added the amazing sailing mechanic and the lunar island but barely implemented them, the stuff added isn't worth going for them, there's a update which literally just added 2 minor threat mobs and 3 stuff for boat nobody asked, well i think the community has a lot more criticism toward RoT. criticism is necessary how can you improve if you don't even know if and what to improve, perfection is a myth.

• Like 1
  • Wavey 1