[Poll] On Rolling Back

you spin me right round baby right round like record baby right round round round  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you rollback?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I am unaware of what rollbacks are.
  2. 2. If yes, why?

• Something bad has happened to my base, like a fire or antlion sinkholes..
    • I died and would like to live again.
    • It's the fifteenth time i've died to this boss in a row please just let me kill them already
    • A griefer came and it's the only form of defense I have against a griefer.
    • I roll back to farm rare drops (e.g. a tusk or a tammie from the only walrus i have in the world cos i dont have a 3mac)
    • Other (Do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If no, why?

• Rolling back invalidates my mistakes when i play.
    • Rolling back is cheating in my perspective.
    • I regen the world when I die and have no revives left by principle.
    • Rolling back runs counter to the uncompromising design of Don't Starve.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)

I have also only ever rolled back when I got lag-teleported back into swarms of killer bees or hounds or raining frogs that killed me, or some other instance of the game blatantly misbehaving. Anything that's just a normal, intended part of the game that kills me or destroys my camp, I accept as either bad luck or my own misplay.

I rollback when I need time to just stare at the map and decide base location (on the surface and ruins base), also I rollback because sometimes I choose wrong order for the structures placement or misclick, and the next structure in a row can't fit into remaining place on the boat or under ice flingomatic. Recently I got tired of that and just subscribed to "global pause" mod (settings: pause after hotkey pressing, no pause after map clicking, so I can walk while briefly check map, but pause while I need really long time to look at it attentively), and I tried "construction planning" mod, but I don't like the fact that it adds a few whole tabs and preset tab overlays normal game tabs, so I don't use it, but I like the consept.

To clafiry: I play solo almost exclusively (but option to leave "ghost structures" in multiplayer sounds good), reach high day count and build medium sized base (under 1-4 flingomatics), but I don't build megabase; also I'm capable of living in the caves during summer and ruins clearing, but sometimes I just don't want to and/or have stuff to do on the surface, so I plan my entire base under as less flingomatics as possible with as much useful structures as possible. I feel bad about escaping summer entirely in the caves every time because it's a whole season and a few mechanics which are designed to be countered with, but not skipped entirely; also I came to DST from single player (RoG is my favorite dlc with Hamlet quite close at the second place), and caves here are hot, which incites player to come up with some strategies if one wants to clear ruins in the summer (moggles/miner hat + flower shirt/log suit/night armor with snow chester/luxury fan/endo fire materials, for example).

By the way, I would like to ask to rework a poll: if I vote "I do rollback", why do I need to answer why I dont at the same time? And vise versa. It's just a bad design which shows unnaturally high amount of "other" option being chosen.

Edit: I also appreciate the fact, that global pause lets player to browse tabs on pause, so I don't need to waste game time to just check whether I prototyped everything, cost of some items or what can I prototype now with that particular science/magic station, and in the past that (wasted time on that) was another reason why I rolled back.

i like to check my solo worlds on day1 to see if it is rubbish or not. i also roll back for lag deaths and when my hands start troubling me during basebuilding and i make more mistakes than i have compensatory materials for(like 4-5 misplaced walls or getting stuck on the geometry)

other option: sometimes I also rollback if I'm testing some things in game - apparently some bugs happen to only older worlds and sometimes I just need to do a rollback to discover what happened.
Also in case when someones death/accident was unfair - like death cause of lagg, or something happen outside of my screen and I had no chance for reaction.

No roll-backs here. Ever. DST would become beyond boring if I was rolling back. If something "bad" happens; let it be a lesson or food for thought. Getting the noggin jogging on how to set up a contingency plan or avoiding the same scenario from happening in the future is not a bad thing. If I was rolling back I would be never, ever, ever get better ("better" as in "smarter") at this game.

Yesterday night I rolled back three times because, in the ruins, after burning the splumonkey pods I forgot where they were placed/I was interrupted by an earth quake/that stupid depth worm decided to shift its attention from the splumonkeys to me. I am trying to eradicate the ruins from all the monkeys by blocking their spawn points with signs in a 3x3 arrangement, and I want to do it well, so like other people, for building or the like I contemplate rolling back.

Experiments are also another thing I roll back for, but only if, before starting the experiment, I say "if it goes wrong I'll roll back". If I don't consider that it may go wrong and it does, rolling back makes me feel terribly guilty. Instead, I don't roll back for boss fights: I know I will kill the boss eventually, so if I'm inexperienced in the fight, I think it's only fair to give the boss the satisfaction of smacking me before, even if I'm spending expensive armour, like thulecite suits.

I don't rollback too often, and it's generally when something happened that would cost too much time to repair and I don't feel like it. Like sinking, having a lureplant spawn and eat all my flowers in beezone, having not heard bearger with volume low and beezone recked, stuff like that.

Or on pubs if we rollback for better Sack loot/Warlus loot, I think those are totally reasonable.

I'm not a fan of rollbacks on every death, but I have done it myself a ton and it can be a good way to learn. Just don't get used to leaning on it.

1 hour ago, BeeClops said:

I don't rollback too often, and it's generally when something happened that would cost too much time to repair and I don't feel like it. Like sinking, having a lureplant spawn and eat all my flowers in beezone, having not heard bearger with volume low and beezone recked, stuff like that.

Or on pubs if we rollback for better Sack loot/Warlus loot, I think those are totally reasonable.

I'm not a fan of rollbacks on every death, but I have done it myself a ton and it can be a good way to learn. Just don't get used to leaning on it.

I'm in a similar boat, only use it occasionally when deer/bear show up without me realizing, if a big area burns etc.

I rolled back when i was learning how to fight raid bosses. Instead of using console commands in a day 1 world i create a world, crafted toons of gear and cooked tons of food and try to kill the boss in a "smooth" way. I rolled back when i died of the fight was so bad until i get bored or did a "decent" fight. Later i just delete the world because it made me feel dirty for keep playing a world like it and tried again in a new world without using rollbacks

Now i only rollback when something that takes many time to repair happens and im not in mood to repair/refarm it but i try to avoid it

Having consecuences for mistakes is part of the game

I forgot to mention that now I have 2k hours in DST and I’m more strict with myself about using rollbacks. 

As BeeClops said they’re a very good tool to learn how to play; back in the days when I was too scared to fight even a measly spider and I was experimenting with my first solo world, the name I chose was “Rollback and me”, and I still remember what my base looked like in there.

there, at my own pace, at some point I decided to “graduate”, and now I have a similar tale to that of ArubaroBeefalo’s, where I also deleted a world because, after rolling back three times for my own recklessness, I felt that run was now irremediably dirty. But I already had more than 1500 hours at that point

Saw a few others say this, but when there are alot of moving entities the game has the need to stop your movement entirely. This has happened a handful of times. But overall, I don't really roll back. I only do so if it was out of my or anyone else's control. Including griefing.

Sincerely,

Cactus

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

No roll-backs here. Ever. DST would become beyond boring if I was rolling back. If something "bad" happens; let it be a lesson or food for thought. Getting the noggin jogging on how to set up a contingency plan or avoiding the same scenario from happening in the future is not a bad thing. If I was rolling back I would be never, ever, ever get better ("better" as in "smarter") at this game.

I 100% wholeheartedly agree, except when the game is what cucks me. Like lagging back into a huge amount of hounds for no reason. Otherwise, yes. I could be on day 30 with the best base possible Ancient Guardian, Deerclops, and, Firefly dead. If I die, I die. Oh well. Should've played it smarter.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Just now, Pop Guy said:

The rollback rots the soul.
Just my opinion. :D

Agreed. If you don't learn from your own mistakes, and there's nothing to be scared of, then you won't learn how to counter them.

Fear in this game is important. One small error can cause you to lose your world, and that's what I love most about this game. With no punishment of death, you lose that fear factor and don't really learn anything. 

Sincerely,

Cactus

4 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Except "don't let griefers destroy your base" isn't really a LESSON, except for "Some people are jerks and you shouldn't trust them."  That's not a thing you could have prevented by being a better _player_.  That's just a butthole being a butthole.

I wish there was a "I do roll back, but sparingly" option, since it seems a lot of other people do so for only the same reasons I do--when the game itself messes up, not you, or when other actual players are the problem.

(Also yeah, there needs to be a way to not answer the "Why I do roll back" if you said earlier in the poll that you don't, or not answer the "Why I don't rollback" if you said that you do.  I think that's why so many people (including me) are putting "Other" there.)

...Notorious

I play with friends who are new to the game and if something goes really wrong, we rollback. There are also stupid mechanics in the game like Bearger spawning next to you (I mean literally, it once appeared out of nowhere right next to me) and immediately destroying conctructions.

5 minutes ago, inferjus4 said:

I play with friends who are new to the game and if something goes really wrong, we rollback. There are also stupid mechanics in the game like Bearger spawning next to you (I mean literally, it once appeared out of nowhere right next to me) and immediately destroying conctructions.

isnt stupid when he is 1min announcing his come xD

is worse when you dont know where he spawned (pls klei, change anticlimatic behaviors)

8 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

isnt stupid when he is 1min announcing his come xD

Actually I meet with situation (few times) where I could hear boss announce around other player, but not around me.That was important lesson for other player to play with sounds, instead of silencing game.
Unfortunately, my base was damaged.

Archived