[Poll] On Rolling Back

you spin me right round baby right round like record baby right round round round  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you rollback?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • I am unaware of what rollbacks are.
  2. 2. If yes, why?

• Something bad has happened to my base, like a fire or antlion sinkholes..
    • I died and would like to live again.
    • It's the fifteenth time i've died to this boss in a row please just let me kill them already
    • A griefer came and it's the only form of defense I have against a griefer.
    • I roll back to farm rare drops (e.g. a tusk or a tammie from the only walrus i have in the world cos i dont have a 3mac)
    • Other (Do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If no, why?

• Rolling back invalidates my mistakes when i play.
    • Rolling back is cheating in my perspective.
    • I regen the world when I die and have no revives left by principle.
    • Rolling back runs counter to the uncompromising design of Don't Starve.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)

For Yes:
Either:
Unfairness my (now old, I got a new one) potato PC had to offer me, usually the slow loading screens that absolutely kill me every time I return to surface from caves (bats).
OR
Common issues like base burnt or griefed

For No:
Sometimes when we get a great luck-based drop from something, but there's minor damage to the base or a few people dead, I would reject rolling back.
If the damage to the base was major and/or the deaths were too much then I may reconsider my decision.

I play solo. I think that explains half of it. 

And when I'm building in my long-term world, some mistakes are bound to happen with the layout and I don't have enough green gems to deconstruct every thing I made and then run get even more wood I already spent last several hours gathering. I already can survive in this game, let me have fun in addition. 

No rollbacks whatsoever. So many people crutch on rollbacks and I really don't understand it. I play DST like it is DS: No rollbacks ever if I am host.

If I die to something stupid, too bad. I learn from that something stupid and move on to the next life. And yes, I have died to weird shenanigans and lag before. It is part of playing a multi-player game.

Whenever someone wants to rollback because they did not get a Krampus sack from Klaus I just roll my eyes. What part of "uncompromising wilderness survival game" makes people think the game would be easy?

I roll back when something that I didnt know happened and it leads to a bad situation. Me and my partner have been playing together a lot re-learning a lot of stuff, you cant exactly learn how to fight certain bosses if you can never get to them, so we've been just going a little easier on ourselves. Learning the characters and their intricacies.

11 hours ago, hkhm said:

No rollbacks whatsoever. So many people crutch on rollbacks and I really don't understand it. I play DST like it is DS: No rollbacks ever if I am host.

If I die to something stupid, too bad. I learn from that something stupid and move on to the next life. And yes, I have died to weird shenanigans and lag before. It is part of playing a multi-player game.

Whenever someone wants to rollback because they did not get a Krampus sack from Klaus I just roll my eyes. What part of "uncompromising wilderness survival game" makes people think the game would be easy?

Each to their own and I respect your opinion but just from the opposite side, I really don't understand those who refuse to rollback even when things are out of their control/not their fault or not doing so would result in you losing a world that you have potentially spent hundreds of hours working on.

I'd also rather rollback than lose a huge amount of resources/structures to fire/disaster, as I COULD replace and rebuild but the time sink of doing so is just boring and I'd rather continue to progress or work on a new project.

Not rolling back to deaths etc is one thing but losing hundreds of hours of gameplay to me is just not an option ever regardless of what may have happened. The only thing you gather or accrue between restarts or new worlds are skins so I'm not losing a world or effectively resetting my game unless I have a very good reason to and actually want to start over.

Essentially the big importance and distinction for me is Endless vs Survival - Never rolling back in Endless is one thing because you aren't ever losing your actual world and progress and are rather just not undoing deaths/failures but never rolling back in Survival and losing worlds you are invested in I just cannot understand.

EDIT: Just thought I'd clarify - I only play endless. There's no appeal to me in playing survival in a semi-sandbox game like this where you can progress infinitly if you wish to. I don't understand playing Survival in general and get that rolling back in that mode is weird as you can just play endless instead.

I've never really understood rolling back, personally. I feel like mistakes are part of the game, having your base burn to the ground because of an arsonist tumbleweed is half the fun.

If it's griefing or something where they make the game basically unable to be continued and where there's no satisfying conclusion, I get rolling back for that. But most other situations I don't really see why you'd want to go back after you've lost instead of regenerating.

I don't like putting thousands of days into my Survival worlds though, so there is that. I don't see the point of choosing the permadeath game mode if you aren't actually willing to accept permanently dying.

2 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

Each to their own and I respect your opinion but just from the opposite side, I really don't understand those who refuse to rollback even when things are out of their control/not their fault or not doing so would result in you losing a world that you have potentially spent hundreds of hours working on.

I'd also rather rollback than lose a huge amount of resources/structures to fire/disaster, as I COULD replace and rebuild but the time sink of doing so is just boring and I'd rather continue to progress or work on a new project.

Not rolling back to deaths etc is one thing but losing hundreds of hours of gameplay to me is just not an option ever regardless of what may have happened. The only thing you gather or accrue between restarts or new worlds are skins so I'm not losing a world or effectively resetting my game unless I have a very good reason to and actually want to start over.

Essentially the big importance and distinction for me is Endless vs Survival - Never rolling back in Endless is one thing because you aren't ever losing your actual world and progress and are rather just not undoing deaths/failures but never rolling back in Survival and losing worlds you are invested in I just cannot understand.

EDIT: Just thought I'd clarify - I only play endless. There's no appeal to me in playing survival in a semi-sandbox game like this where you can progress infinitly if you wish to. I don't understand playing Survival in general and get that rolling back in that mode is weird as you can just play endless instead.

I have spent many hundreds of hours on worlds before, and yes, it was a little disappointing to have a disaster that I could not recover from but I lack an intense attachment to worlds that many people have. Having a disaster and recovering from it is, to me, a mark of extraordinary perseverance and when I can, I do so. I simply accept when the game has defeated me and I start afresh.

I don't play Endless, I rarely play Wilderness, I mostly play Survival. Again, I think there is a fundamental difference: I do not feel intense attachment to the worlds I play in. I love abandoning my worlds in DS and hopping through the portal to continue the journey in some fresh place with just what is in my backpack. I tend to prefer Lights Out, long winter, short other seasons (if I enable them at all), less food, etc. I like challenging, almost brutal, difficulty and then succeeding against those odds. This game is not about building a mega-base to me (though I have had fun trying that in the past) It is about survival. And surviving against great odds has less appeal when I could theoretically undo any mistake or misstep with a rollback.

Also, I think because people have started to see this game as a sandbox rather than a survival game, that is where the schism exists. People who want to build beautiful bases (nothing wrong with that, it is just not that interesting to me) would place great value on their effort and utilize rollbacks to preserve their work. I place more emphasis on survival with no safety net.

most rollback i made when play solo is when i dissatisfied with the design of build i made that day XD so i rb to save resource cus farming it will be another pain in the butt solo.

but honestly i never had any requirement for rollback, in multiplayer if rollback is needed and other player have no problem it , I will rollback..
its game feature anyway :)
either its for glitch loot or correcting a mistake its fineeee...

8 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

some people might roll back but not like rolling back, it is also redundant to make an entire other poll for that question when you have this one aswell

in such a case, i am only trying to gather figures of people who roll back and not their feelings regarding rolling back. thank you for clarifying. will edit the main topic.

Archived