Dear Klei, please stop killing loyal-skins exclusivity

If you have the skin it wont affect you if someone else has access to it as well. I cant believe people can be so selfish over something that wont even affect them in any way. 

I already have all the loyal skins that i wanted and i want everyone else to be able to get them as well. 

If people want to brag so hard about being beta testers we should just have the the year when you started playing visible on our character info pages.

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

I do think it's fun to have that time where you got the thing. You were there, you were paying attention and you got the cool thing other people missed out on. Some FOMO can be a little fun. But not when everything revolves around it, then it's just a chore. 

I love collecting cool drops in games I enjoy, personally. I also like having the things people don't have. That's just part of it. But - I don't think it takes away from that fun if people can get it later too. You get your time, they get theirs. It seems fair. 

When will us, non-People's Republic of China Carved_Stone_Torch_Icon.png.e4b4c0e6189825f640ea59e464ee332d.pngplayers get our time to play with Carved Stone Torch and Stone Kiln, master Stone_Kiln_Icon.png.5649e1446398f996a59ab4341b318d51.pngJoeW?

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

I love collecting cool drops in games I enjoy, personally. I also like having the things people don't have. That's just part of it. But - I don't think it takes away from that fun if people can get it later too. You get your time, they get theirs. It seems fair. 

I would like to ask, isn't this the reason why the Timeless rarity was introduced? Newer players got the Tragic Torch while older ones kept their rare item. 

I do think it's better if all players had access to these skins (I felt bad for those who missed the stone/thulecite wall skins before the new ones were added), but the Timeless rarity still let older players have something special in their inventory.

2 minutes ago, Fuffles said:

Uhm no, that Firepit skin was assigned to Beta Testers as a thanks, it wasnt available to everyone. To me this is equivalent of giving people an option to get the Monument Firepit Skin for free when its supposed to be a reward for having RoG

Mmm.. that begs the question:

KLei!

missing_skins.png.355952ec5ba27e47d5d1e923e886907e.png

Where are these participation prizes? Future hope?!

2 hours ago, KoreanWaffles said:

Wouldn't it be cool if Klei hosted an event where players got to duke it out with each other in cut-throat competition to earn exclusive skins. Players could compete in teams of three to promote cooperation. This would really let players show off their dedication to the game and there could even be exclusive one-time rewards for the top performing teams, as well as a participation award for all players so no one is left out.

Just throwing ideas around here, this could be a week long tournament sort of thing, and we could even have a leaderboard showcasing each day's top performers.

Or Klei could give players free log-in rewards and make them available to future players through the Klei Rewards program so that all players can enjoy cool skins and not feel left out. That sounds good too.

as much as i'd love this, PVP in DST is kinda bad.

I do feel like everyone should be able to get all the skins.

But I also feel like there should be some kind of value to skins originally obtained during the time frame they were originally available, klei already did it with the tragic torch, the original is timeless, but anyone can get the loyal variant. Why not have the originals be timeless? I feell it wouldn't hurt anything.

I don't mind exclusivity, but I do know how bad it feels to have missed out on a skin you really want. The only skin I really would rather stay "exclusive" is the bottomless firepit skin because it was rewarded to people who were essentially DST beta testers. It's a cool way of showing off how long someone has played this game, and it doesn't look particularly ostentatious. Just a basic skin.

3 hours ago, Dr. Safety said:

I don't mind exclusivity, but I do know how bad it feels to have missed out on a skin you really want. The only skin I really would rather stay "exclusive" is the bottomless firepit skin because it was rewarded to people who were essentially DST beta testers. It's a cool way of showing off how long someone has played this game, and it doesn't look particularly ostentatious. Just a basic skin.

i agree, but man the pain that you can never have that skin anymore ... it hurts

20 minutes ago, rafaelluismpalm said:

i agree, but man the pain that you can never have that skin anymore ... it hurts

Trust me, I understand. I don't know if anyone here plays Overwatch but they do limited time skins all the time where you have a week to get skins and then they vanish forever. Gone. Can't obtain it ever again. There is a really nice skin for my main character in that game but it was only obtainable for a week that was well before I started playing.

Spoiler

Image result for overwatch sigma conductor

I love that Klei doesn't ever do stuff like this. It feels really disheartening to not ever be able to obtain the stuff that others have, just because you didn't play the game during a very specific time period. However as contradictory as it sounds, I see beta testing as a whole different situation. Plus like I said, it barely looks different from the normal firepit skin. Just flat rocks instead of round ones:
image.png.a9192c46e2ec924e237bc1a25f408ec4.png

9 hours ago, Dragonboooorn said:

Why are you doing this? Loyal-skins  that supposed to be exclusive for particapation now are given away for lolz. 

Aw, the tipical selfish people who only find their enjoyment from flexing limited skin to other 

those type of toxicity Is what I hate the most from a lot of communities I'm in 

as someone who owns all the loyal skin (except the tencent exclusive) I really happy that Klei brings those skin back so my friend can have a chance to get them

us who own those skin from the first day already had our time playing with those skin before everyone else. Do all of your time in the past playing with those skin are so worstless that you have to try to make it limited for only a few to make yourself feel special?

If you REALLY need to feel special they can add a very small icon on those skins when placed in-game. Like a black star/gold star to show how dedicated an individual you are. Im sure folks wouldn't care about that sort of thing, at least not me.

Kinda like pokemon with certain pokemon being very, very rare and event only. Some events will have these pokemon be shiny or have a move you would never encounter outside of that specific event. For example: Take a pikachu that knows fly or surf. To the indiscernible eye its just another pikachu, but you can take a special kind of pride knowing that you have something unique.

I think a good rule of thumb for exclusives is
structures: no
clothing: yes

I can appreciate the sentiment of being able to run around in pre rework guest of honor heads, survivor skins, halloween etc. Also having the letterman jacket is always a good way to show ur cash money. I don't have any expensive one off skins, never had a guest of honor before the reworks gave us clones, but in a way, these rare clothing skins are like Dst gucci. 

Let people have their cash money exclusivity fun. 

As a builder however, we should all agree that exclusive structure skins can f.o.

I want to build with everything available to me at a reasonable price and don't want to have to beg a snooty person on a server to build me nice looking crockpots while he begrudgingly mines my precious nonrenewable boulders 

missing_skins.png.355952ec5ba27e47d5d1e923e886907e.png

I think we need to give a chance so that everyone has the opportunity to get these skins, which are in the picture above. Twitch or in-game drops, events, purchase in the store or steam community market, KLEI rewards or something else.

I also offer an idea - to make it possible to get all "yellow event (limited-time use)" skins forever. And to make it possible to get all the other "green loyal" skins. Twitch or in-game drops, events, purchase in the store or steam community market, KLEI rewards or something else.

"Proof of purchase" from KLEI shop and "Funko Pop" skins it also needs to be made available to everyone. For example, make it possible to buy this skins for only real money in game shop. That would be fair to everyone. I love KLEI very much, but to buy a real products that I am not interested in, for quite a lot of money (for example, in my country), for the sake of one or more exclusive in-game skins - I think that this is unfair. Minimum price of one such exclusive skin is 10 times more expensive than the game itself!!! And there are already more than 15 such skins in total!!! I agree to buy these skins only for money, but at reasonable prices.

Personally, I'm in favor of the idea that if you can't get a specific skin in the game, you can always buy it for adequate money in the game store or get it in any other way available.

KLEI have always been loyal to the players. I hope they will listen to my ideas.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my ideas. I just expressed my opinion, as a long-time player and fan DS.

As someone who's played DST since before skins were added, and so has every loyal skin: Klei, PLEASE continue killing loyal skins exclusivity. It doesn't make me feel epic and awesome to have decor options that newer players literally can't, it makes me feel sad for them, especially when the endgame tends to lean heavily towards just building things that look nice visually.

i can't believe we are giving normies klei gold membership skins. 

jk, i personally have every loyalty skin except for when my pc broke down and couldn't play. It's great to see all skins coming back. I didn't even know chicken slippers was a thing.

Skins shouldn't be exclusive ever except bottomless firepit. I feel bad that xbox players missed out but it is there for us that played during the beta and supported the development before everyone else did, DST has gone a long way from beta and this allows people to show that they were there.

In DST now there's just so much content that it can't even compare to DS anymore while during beta, DS had much more content. This can't be a defense used for skin exclusivity today when game has so much content.

.There's even less of a reason to keep skins exclusive when megabasing is the only way to play into real lategame and decoration matters a lot there. If you don't megabase you may play 100-300 days at most and restart, while megabasing the only thing that keeps you going is decorating a big part of your world.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

As someone who's played DST since before skins were added, and so has every loyal skin: Klei, PLEASE continue killing loyal skins exclusivity. It doesn't make me feel epic and awesome to have decor options that newer players literally can't, it makes me feel sad for them, especially when the endgame tends to lean heavily towards just building things that look nice visually.

Having a little indicator when examining a skin to show it is indeed an old legacy skin then I would be fine with it.
But locking new players out of these very nice skins just... does not seem fair to me. And people bragging with these skins and/or begging for other players not to have the privilege to even use the skin to begin with, a skin that is only available for a very limited time and then never again, just seems really really bad to me personally.

3 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Skins shouldn't be exclusive ever except bottomless firepit. I feel bad that xbox players missed out but it is there for us that played during the beta and supported the development before everyone else did, DST has gone a long way from beta and this allows people to show that they were there.

In DST now there's just so much content that it can't even compare to DS anymore while during beta, DS had much more content. This can't be a defense used for skin exclusivity today when game has so much content.

.There's even less of a reason to keep skins exclusive when megabasing is the only way to play into real lategame and decoration matters a lot there. If you don't megabase you may play 100-300 days at most and restart, while megabasing the only thing that keeps you going is decorating a big part of your world.

Even playing more than 70 days without getting into megabasing for me is really really boring. I would genuinely be impressed if someone could put up with that for over 100 days and not megabase somehow.

• Developer

Hey all, thanks for the feedback here! Joe already mentioned our intentions for these rewards items, but I'll add some more details.

The original items should have been converted to Timeless rarity, and the reward page items would be a new Loyal variant, that was my oversight. I'm in the process of correcting that now, but it's going to take a few days to get all the builds updated and rewarded items converted over to the new variant. I hope to have this resolved by later next week.

Archived