Do you prefer the old or new farming system?

Old farms VS Reap what you sow farms.  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Old farms
    • Reap what you sow farms
    • I think they're both OK.

The only thing i will miss about Improved Farms is decorating with them. I wish they made the blueprint a rare drop from Bunnymen, since they're shown farming with it in several set pieces in the caves. (btw what has happened to those set pieces now? :shock:)

Theres already a mod in the workshop that re-enables them, which im planning on using when i want to decorate :apple:

I hated the old farms: having to pray for RNGesus to get 2 seeds when you fed the bird the crops was just boring as heck. They were also too expensive for too little return, so I mostly just never used them and just grabbed a few trees from the Lunar Island and got my veggies from there.

Now the new farms I'm really loving, maybe because I'm a huge Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons fan. I really enjoy spending my time in the base now, just taking care of my farms. To me this was one of the best updates Klei ever made, I'm now even enjoying playing with characters that otherwise I didn't even wanted to try, like Warly, and I'm having a blast. So thank you very much, Klei!

The old farms used to be a set and forget type of thing once you got your seed of choice  you had a never rotting food storage that just needed time. I find the more interactive farms of reap what you sow will really  help players who are newer to the game since most new players in survival games do tend to strive to sustainability  and that is certainly a thing that happens in this game. Considering the pub meta of stealing the world's plantable resources  and localize them in a spot.  More friendly to that too now that disease is gone. 

Most people didn't use the old farms for food  some did it for beefalo 

But I think the update did a good give and take. 

They are worse for players who like to roam away from base  but better first those that stay at base since the farms are more interactive. 

So I think it's  good for the update. 

I do like that you don't need thousands of grass to make the farms which is always good. The less dependence  on grass the better 

After playing the update for a bit, I can state that the old farms don’t even hold a candle to the new ones.

The old farming system had so many difficulties to overcome to even return a possible investment. In particular:

• The setup costs were incredibly high. In order to make 30 farms (which was the main basics for farming) you needed 180 manure, 120 rocks, and 300 grass. For comparison, you could take all of the manure and fertilize 180 berry bushes and let one harvest rot to constantly cycle them, and you saved the rocks and grass.
  • You want to gamble for food? The old farming system has you covered! If you want to constantly replant your crops, you had to on average give 2/3rds of your harvest back to a bird to continue replanting the same crop. That alone killed old farming for me.
  • It was so slow at every point despite the minimal gain. You had to sow the crop, harvest every crop (and mind you, the farm plot hitbox is large) feed 2/3rds of your harvest of the crop, and then sow it again. That took me ~5-6 minutes with around 140 farms, and keep in mind I usually gained around 50 crops from this.

New farming changed this dramatically, in practically every way:

• The startup costs are way less. In order to make 4 plots for 36 crops, you need 3 boards, 2 flint, and 2 rope. That substantially rivals the old farm cost.
  • Want to do the most barebones work possible and still get ~3 times the amount of crops you would have with old farming? That’s completely possible! If you plant the crops in the correct season, pass the family/overcrowding checks, and then tend to them once, they will always produce at least 1 seed and the crop to continue planting.
  • If you want to throw in more effort, that not only is viable, but is rewarded substantially. I made 2 3X3 plots of just peppers, and despite me needing to constantly tend to them (I’m very new to the farming system, so 50% of this is likely my errors) and I still profited way more then the old farming system ever allowed me to. The amount of peppers I got in 4-5 days would have easily crushed the same harvest I would have originally gotten for doing it for 10+ days as Wickerbottom using applied horticulture the moment I planted the seeds.
  • The only things that carried over are the planting time investment (garden hoeing takes awhile to till that many spaces, and sowing the seeds doesn’t help either, although Wormwood massively speeds this up) and the maintaining costs for specific needs (needing to refertilize the old farm plots, or crafting new hoes for the new ones). Despite this, I still believe new farming is good enough to justify this.

Overall, I immensely enjoy this system. It’s fun, actually encourages farming for crops, and doesn’t feel like I’m spending a significant amount of time to just farm up food that might last me until my next batch of crops are grown. 

The new farming is 1000x better, even the cosmetic looks of the old farms can be out done by this NEW farm- All they need to is to allow us to craft farming fences, or maybe stone trails, etc... the old plot looked Meh, but all it would take to make an new farm plot look like an old farm plot is the ability to place a fence/rock trail on the outside edges of your 1 foundation farm plot (made with one Rig”a use)

I absolutely love the new farming style and don’t miss the old ones at all.

they both have their merits, the new one is more enjoyable and you get lots for sinking the time but the old one you could put on a boat and and have fresh veg all of the time(especially if you had manure). it has only been a day but i already miss not having veggies while sailing

I just wished we could've kept the improved farm recipe for the sake of decorating and to grow crops instantly.

Using manure or a bucket o poop to grow a dragon fruit seed instantly would be nice in a real pinch, and personally I would probably use them for random seeds I find on my travels instead of risking growing weeds instead. But that's just my own opinion.

6 hours ago, Wendy C. said:

But only when you take good enough care of the plants.

"Good care" means planting multiples of the same crop in a season you like, making sure there are no weeds around and then watering or tending to them once. There's literally no maintenance needed afterwards.

17 hours ago, Ohan said:

I wish they made the blueprint a rare drop from Bunnymen, since they're shown farming with it in several set pieces in the caves. (btw what has happened to those set pieces now? :shock:)

I imagine the set pieces will just remain unchanged, the farms aren't being removed, you just won't be able to craft them anymore.

8 hours ago, Well-met said:

yes well that's 1 character out of 17

And this is a team-based game. Meat dishes are still without question the best in the game, and we are all still responsible for helping other survivors with their dietary needs. 
So no, vegetables are not going to replace hunting for animals any time soon. 

18 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

And this is a team-based game. Meat dishes are still without question the best in the game, and we are all still responsible for helping other survivors with their dietary needs. 
So no, vegetables are not going to replace hunting for animals any time soon. 

I'm not sure about your affirmation, it's so easy to have a huge amount of vegetables even without maintenance now, you just click once, at some point you don't worry anymore about getting food with the new farms and you have less reasons to keep hunting animals

I feel like the only people prefering the old farms (other than for aesthetic reasons) are those who don't really know how the new ones work

11 hours ago, Xantown7 said:

I feel like the only people prefering the old farms (other than for aesthetic reasons) are those who don't really know how the new ones work

and those that don't like change, which is about 90% of humans today

it is normal to not like change, humans are beings of habit. something you are used to is easier to use than something superior that you are unfamiliar with (at least, at the beginning)

Archived