Do you prefer the old or new farming system?

Old farms VS Reap what you sow farms.  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Old farms
    • Reap what you sow farms
    • I think they're both OK.

26 minutes ago, loopuleasa said:

and those that don't like change, which is about 90% of humans today

it is normal to not like change, humans are beings of habit. something you are used to is easier to use than something superior that you are unfamiliar with (at least, at the beginning)

Very true

Both farm is OK for me

For me old farm is good for solo playing, because i don't spend much time in base. 

And the new farm is good when you play together with your friend, someone stay in base and can take care farm and the others can gather / to do something.

And for others who like old farm i think they just want having fun with this game and don't want something so hard.

But DST is coop game, so the update is so good, because we can do more teamwork. I hope Klei will give us some update with teamwork again. :lol:

On 12/16/2020 at 2:42 PM, gaymime said:

they both have their merits, the new one is more enjoyable and you get lots for sinking the time but the old one you could put on a boat and and have fresh veg all of the time(especially if you had manure). it has only been a day but i already miss not having veggies while sailing

pig house on boat doe

Definitely the new farming system. It's complex, yet simple if you are not after the giant crops. It's better than the old farming system in pretty much everyway possible, except from the instant plant growth, but it's not enough to compensate the "feeding the bird" roulette for seeds.

On 12/16/2020 at 5:44 PM, Ohan said:

The only thing i will miss about Improved Farms is decorating with them. I wish they made the blueprint a rare drop from Bunnymen, since they're shown farming with it in several set pieces in the caves. (btw what has happened to those set pieces now? :shock:)

Theres already a mod in the workshop that re-enables them, which im planning on using when i want to decorate :apple:

I know I'm late for the party here, but do you have a link to this mod you're talking about? I can't find it :P. I miss the old farming system because of the low maintenance.

54 minutes ago, greggorygreggs said:

I know I'm late for the party here, but do you have a link to this mod you're talking about? I can't find it :P. I miss the old farming system because of the low maintenance.

Here you go: Craftable Classic Farm (both Basic and Improved).

Additionally you may also be interested in: Round Farm Builder.

Cheers!

35 minutes ago, JustCrimson said:

they old farms were ugly, bulky, expensive, and I didnt even get to do anything but wait until its done for 1 carrot when I could fit atleast 2 or 3 berry bushes in its place

Old classic farms can be used as decorative elements. Also, in tandem with new plot-farms, they can preserve food on parcels indefinitely. As stand-alone, if player puts work into growing crops, they cannot compare with the output of new plot-farms. But if player has a just-plant-and-forget approach, old farms have their uses, more-so if build en-bulk. All-in-all is a pity they were completely removed, not for efficiency sake obviously, but related to said decorative and forever-preserving roles.

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Old classic farms can be used as decorative elements. Also, in tandem with new plot-farms, they can preserve food on parcels indefinitely. As stand-alone, if player puts work into growing crops, they cannot compare with the output of new plot-farms. But if player has a just-plant-and-forget approach, old farms have their uses, more-so if build en-bulk. All-in-all is a pity they were completely removed, not for efficiency sake obviously, but related to said decorative and forever-preserving roles.

The new farming system can yield way more crops (excluding fertilize spamming)

26 minutes ago, JustCrimson said:

The new farming system can yield way more crops (excluding fertilize spamming)

I wasn't disputing that, as per "if player puts work into growing crops, they cannot compare with the output of new plot-farms". Only pointed at old Classic farms' potential uses, aka decorations and a way to preserve produce on plot. Calling old farms "ugly" is subjective as I myself (and others too, as seen in this very thread from previous comments) fancy them in various base-builds. Likewise "expensive" isn't an issue for late-game when Survival is made superfluous, and players concentrate on Sandbox hoarding/thriving, building & "terraforming" the world.

30 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I wasn't disputing that, as per "if player puts work into growing crops, they cannot compare with the output of new plot-farms". Only pointed at old Classic farms' potential uses, aka decorations and a way to preserve produce on plot. Calling old farms "ugly" is subjective as I myself (and others too, as seen in this very thread from previous comments) fancy them in various base-builds. Likewise "expensive" isn't an issue for late-game when Survival is made superfluous, and players concentrate on Sandbox hoarding/thriving, building & "terraforming" the world.

thought you said the old farms were better, my bad

The new farm doesn't improve much but is quite annoying. Didn't see the real point of that change.

The new farm needs constant care. Consume more time than the old one, produce more foods. But these foods also rot quickly as well as the crop. 

Summary, for 1-4 players coop, old farm better, for 6+ playes with a farmer who always need to do boring things, new farm maybe better, 

4 minutes ago, DARTH said:

The new farm doesn't improve much but is quite annoying. Didn't see the real point of that change.

The new farm needs constant care. Consume more time than the old one, produce more foods. But these foods also rot quickly as well as the crop. 

Summary, for 1-4 players coop, old farm better, for 6+ playes with a farmer who always need to do boring things, new farm maybe better

not really,if you have self fertilising combos+friendly fruit fly +fertilise them and water them once +not plant random seeds it can give you tons of food for barely any effort (in writing it sounds longer than it actually is) so just like FFF+tomaroot and potato combo +water it to full and give it a bit of starter fertiliser and easy food

I usually play alone AND wander from base all the time, so the old farms work much better for me.  I do agree that they take too many resources, though--less grass/rocks/manure (at least one of those three) would've been nice.  

The main problem I have with the new farms is...they seem intimidating!  Different kinds of fertilizer?  A hat that tells you _what your plants want_?  And when I saw what looked like freaking FORMULAS being posted in the help threads, I...my brain checked out.  I do not math.  I realise those are really for the giant crops and not _basic_ new-farming, but...I dun wanna bother what I plant next to what. I just want to plant seeds and let them grow.

And there are weeds that can not only take over, but make you overheat?  WHAT?  I mean I do play as Willow a lot and she's got some resistance to that but still, not a fan.  (I do also play as other characters.)  I mean I guess in the winter they'd be neat (if they even grow then--they don't, right?  That's how little I know about this new system), but in the summer it'd be like "KILL IT WITH FIRE!  Wait no that's what I was trying to avoid..." 

As a Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley fan (heck, I've even jokingly called Don't Starve that:  "H.P. Lovecraft's 'Harvest Moon'"--and that was with the OLD farms) I think I wouldn't mind more complex farms--I just wish they were lower maintainence.  Also not a fan of how unpicked crops can rot now, similar to how people threw a fit when they realised that (with RoG) you couldn't leave food on the crockpot forever.  Both are in the category of "this never SHOULD have been a thing and we all knew they were gonna nerf it someday", but if you've gotten really used to one of these mechanics it can be annoying. 

I guess...my end opinion is:  the old ones took too many resources but were blessedly simple, and the new ones might be better but are complex enough to make my brain hurt. I do like that you can grow SOMEthing in winter. But...I dunno, I'm a solo player wanderer.  Sometimes I just want to set and forget.

...Notorious

9 minutes ago, DARTH said:

Summary, for 1-4 players coop, old farm better, for 6+ playes with a farmer who always need to do boring things, new farm maybe better, 

The old farms require way more time & effort than the new farms to get even a small fraction of the yield. Why do people keep saying this nonsense?

Summary: for literally any amount of players from 1 to whatever the max limit is, new farms better. For decorational base builders old farms maybe worth making.

2 minutes ago, hot focaccia said:

not really,if you have self fertilising combos+friendly fruit fly +fertilise them and water them once +not plant random seeds it can give you tons of food for barely any effort (in writing it sounds longer than it actually is) so just like FFF+tomaroot and potato combo +water it to full and give it a bit of starter fertiliser and easy food

well, fertilise them+water them Does take extra effort. crop combo changes each season. Also need to creat Farm Soils one by one each time. player can not travel/explore/leaving base for a long time, planted crop can rot. 

new farm do produce many food once you make it work, but its unnessary for a few players. its not like player dont do anything else but just farming.

new farm only be better when there are so much players makes other food resources not enough.

17 minutes ago, DARTH said:

i advice you to try the new system because that has no sense for someone who really have played with the new farms

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i advice you to try the new system because that has no sense for someone who really have played with the new farms

well, i advise you don't think other people have never play the game then

"HE has different opinions! He MUST have never played this game!" pretty naive, isn't it

The old farms were better IF you manage to amass a ton of the brown stuff, got lucky with a dragonfruit yield early, and had good fortune with bird seed rng.

New farming is better and interactive, but you can still plant and forget just like the old system.

46 minutes ago, DARTH said:

"HE has different opinions! He MUST have never played this game!" pretty naive, isn't it

numbers arent open to opinions. The old system waste more resources and time for less product. Any body that have played it and barely understand it know this

1 hour ago, DARTH said:

Well your opinion makes as much sense as saying "In my opinion, 4+12=87". Your opinion is obviously based on ignorance & seemingly based on intentional misinterpretation. We can clearly see that you've never used the new farm system just like we can clearly see that someone who thinks 4+12=87 has never learned simple addition, just because you say it's your opinion doesn't make it any less wrong.

If you used the new farm system you would see that it takes a small fraction of the effort, a small fraction of the time, and a small fraction of the resources to give out an enormous amount of crops compared to the old system's pittance.

Archived