Do you prefer the old or new farming system?

Old farms VS Reap what you sow farms.  

329 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you prefer?

• Old farms
    • Reap what you sow farms
    • I think they're both OK.

I’ve been working on something... pretty.

Im really absolutely failing to see how ANYONE can miss the old crops for their Quote “Decorative Potential” they were lame, Simplistic and BORING.

I say this... because I’ve discovered you can layer carpet borders and fences around the edges of the new RWYS style crops- Which sure it may take more effort: But if you really really REALLY just want that “Fenced in” look for your crops that the old version came with: Simply build some ACTUAL FENCES and place them on the outter edges of the New Crop Plot to achieve the same results- And even Better:

You can use the New Fence SKINS from the latest Skin bundle to give them even more cosmetic flair.

So Without making this into a TL:DR the Decorative Potential of previous farm plot has been out done by new farm plot.

And they can look absolutely beautiful if you get creative (I’m still working on mine) ;) 

4 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Well your opinion makes as much sense as saying "In my opinion, 4+12=87". Your opinion is obviously based on ignorance & seemingly based on intentional misinterpretation. We can clearly see that you've never used the new farm system just like we can clearly see that someone who thinks 4+12=87 has never learned simple addition, just because you say it's your opinion doesn't make it any less wrong.

If you used the new farm system you would see that it takes a small fraction of the effort, a small fraction of the time, and a small fraction of the resources to give out an enormous amount of crops compared to the old system's pittance.

okay another ""HE has different opinions! He MUST have never played this game!". 

i met the Lord of the Fruit Flies, have to use hammers on giant crops. plant different crops on each season, keep the seeds. left my crops, go ruins then return and saw everything rotten then replanted them. i kept taking care of my farm in solo mode, farm and feed teammates in coop mode. 

The answer is, when there are not many people on the server, there is just no point to maintain the new farm. 
since we always get many monster meats no matter what. pigman farm for ham bats also gives a lot of meat. Its not like you can avoid fights all the time. The old farm is low efficient but steady, but it is totally enough. Also, harvest+feed birds definitely cost less time. 

Now i actually wonder did you really play with the new farm? or even spent time on the game with both farms? 

Here is a Quick teaser of my Work in Progress Garden... 

I need to ping several Devs though because I am now deeply saddened that I can not build the Sisturn Dead Center of this Farm Plot...

I would put things like Sisturn or Moon Dail in the middle of this but unfortunately... the game will not let me, I am sure someone on PC already has a Mod that lets them do it... but I wish I could do it officially without relying upon Mods.

3248915A-53E3-4B03-99B1-E32FACDC3C57.png

7 hours ago, DARTH said:

harvest+feed birds definitely cost less time. 

tell that to someone (like me) who has made a 48 improved farm setup and repeatedly planted and bird-fed a dragonfruit seed over and over and over again before i actually got 2 seeds, and then spent several ingame days planting and replanting and feeding seeds to birds just so i could get more than ten dragonfruit.

let's not forget having to mash my right index finger mass feeding dragonfruit to a bird and then holding down spacebar beside a birdcage

with that system in place its easy to see why people in the old improved farm meta would rather grab veggies from cacti, mushrooms and  bunnymen instead of repeatedly feeding a bird to no avail.

Let's not forget the immense material costs you need to actually make an improved farm. 10 grass, 4 stones and 6 poop are very time-intensive to gather, taking away a chunk of time and resources you could have better spent on other things.

Only thing I miss about old farms is how much faster they could be used to get specific seeds, having both would be nice to get started on farms by being able to see what seeds you got, and if they can have a symbiotic relationship with other vegetables.

Essentially the old farms would eventually become useless once you have the right seeds, or maybe even all of 'em, but at least it could speed up the process of having a proper farm.

But yeah, new farm's only problema are that the vegetables are high maintenance if you're trying to get giant crops, and how long it takes to get all the info with Gardeneer Hat, but the second one eventually is going away permanently, and while giant crops are very nice, if you do an alright job at taking care of the vegetables, you'll have good stuff regardless, so it's definitely the better one overall.

3 hours ago, DARTH said:

okay another ""HE has different opinions! He MUST have never played this game!". 

i met the Lord of the Fruit Flies, have to use hammers on giant crops. plant different crops on each season, keep the seeds. left my crops, go ruins then return and saw everything rotten then replanted them. i kept taking care of my farm in solo mode, farm and feed teammates in coop mode. 

The answer is, when there are not many people on the server, there is just no point to maintain the new farm. 
since we always get many monster meats no matter what. pigman farm for ham bats also gives a lot of meat. Its not like you can avoid fights all the time. The old farm is low efficient but steady, but it is totally enough. Also, harvest+feed birds definitely cost less time. 

Now i actually wonder did you really play with the new farm? or even spent time on the game with both farms? 

If you actually read what people said instead of just instantly getting mad and projecting with a good ol' fashioned "no you" you'd like the new farms a lot more.

7 hours ago, DARTH said:

left my crops, go ruins then return and saw everything rotten then replanted them

See? You dont understand the new system. If you want to left crops for a entire season go for giants which last arround 40 days without rotting, if not, just let the rotten plant regrow by itself.

I wont waste more time with you but i will say one last thing. I have played wurt and warly pre RWYS.

As warly i made an entire screen of farms which made me spend entire springs to varely get enough garlic and pepper to make powders after many springs of planting-picking-feeding bird and repeat which os tedious, unefficient and a waste of time. I didnt even tried to plant other seeds since it was dumb to mass produce food when there is other better options to get veggies

As wurt i didnt even tried to make farms because i got more food in less time by just picking carrots in my travels, harvesting stone fruit, healing with trail mix and butter muffing and using meat as eggs for berries jam.

With the new rpws, in 1 single spring, i get tons of veggies that i need to bundle in multiple bundle wraps (im still using the tomatoes farmed way ago in the beta of that update). 1 single spring feeds me for ingame years mainwhile with warly i needed several springs and a lot of resources to just have enough powder to forget about the danm farms

There is some niche situations like building farms in boats, planting random seeds just to have an infinity spoil duration veggie, getting fast a specific seed (this isnt entire true since you can plant 40seeds with low resources in the new system instead of just 1 and spamming) or just for decoration were the old farms. Some of this things got removed because it will be op with the new system since you get too much food that is stupid. The game, with this update, has become way easier since with just plating potatoes you cover hunger, health and sanity. And isnt like you need to waste a lot of time, by just plating +4 seeds of the same family in season (you overexagerate this part trying to be right but the truth is that almost every veggies grows in spring, autumn and summer and now we have winter crops) and watering (not if you plant in spring) you get x2 seeds which means that you will be able to just plant seeds and do nothing because you will have a lot of seeds that wont be a lose if the plant doesnt give you back seeds (which anyways is rare)

Gives that much veggies that bundle wrap is even more op now since is necesary to keep all the stupid amount of veggies. Salt box is mandatory instead of a cool adition

I was even surviving by eating seeds the last time i work on farms to get all the giants to my decorative collection. You literalu can survive a lot of days eating seeds

4 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

See? You dont understand the new system. If you want to left crops for a entire season go for giants which last arround 40 days without rotting, if not, just let the rotten plant regrow by itself.

I wont waste more time with you but i will say one last thing. I have played wurt and warly pre RWYS.

As warly i made an entire screen of farms which made me spend entire springs to varely get enough garlic and pepper to make powders after many springs of planting-picking-feeding bird and repeat which os tedious, unefficient and a waste of time. I didnt even tried to plant other seeds since it was dumb to mass produce food when there is other better options to get veggies

As wurt i didnt even tried to make farms because i got more food in less time by just picking carrots in my travels, harvesting stone fruit, healing with trail mix and butter muffing and using meat as eggs for berries jam.

With the new rpws, in 1 single spring, i get tons of veggies that i need to bundle in multiple bundle wraps (im still using the tomatoes farmed way ago in the beta of that update). 1 single spring feeds me for ingame years mainwhile with warly i needed several springs and a lot of resources to just have enough powder to forget about the danm farms

There is some niche situations like building farms in boats, planting random seeds just to have an infinity spoil duration veggie, getting fast a specific seed (this isnt entire true since you can plant 40seeds with low resources in the new system instead of just 1 and spamming) or just for decoration were the old farms. Some of this things got removed because it will be op with the new system since you get too much food that is stupid. The game, with this update, has become way easier since with just plating potatoes you cover hunger, health and sanity. And isnt like you need to waste a lot of time, by just plating +4 seeds of the same family in season (you overexagerate this part trying to be right but the truth is that almost every veggies grows in spring, autumn and summer and now we have winter crops) and watering (not if you plant in spring) you get x2 seeds which means that you will be able to just plant seeds and do nothing because you will have a lot of seeds that wont be a lose if the plant doesnt give you back seeds (which anyways is rare)

Gives that much veggies that bundle wrap is even more op now since is necesary to keep all the stupid amount of veggies. Salt box is mandatory instead of a cool adition

I was even surviving by eating seeds the last time i work on farms to get all the giants to my decorative collection. You literalu can survive a lot of days eating seeds

regrow, it looks like you dont even care about flies. 

And you mentioned Warly, im like, WOW. OFC warly gonna be better with the new system, this guy the one i mentioned that who need large crops supply. 

old farm"low efficient+low maintenance cost+stable"
new farm"high efficient+medium maintenance cost+ unstable"

The new farm hurt the playstyle that "hunt/explore+farming a bit crops as backup", benefit the playstyle"farmer".  Its not surprised to see many players who prefer the first playstyle dont like the new farm.  The old stable+low maintenance method does not existed anymore.

Actually, the proper way to introduce the new farm should be “let everyone can make Warly's powders and recipes. and rework/delete Warly" or "rework hunger system, insert nutrition system that makes people need to eat vege" or both.

This would let all the players accept the new farm because all of them actually gonna need that "high efficient"

9 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If you actually read what people said instead of just instantly getting mad and projecting with a good ol' fashioned "no you" you'd like the new farms a lot more.

wow cool, people against your opinion must all be"instantly getting mad because something". good trick

11 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

tell that to someone (like me) who has made a 48 improved farm setup and repeatedly planted and bird-fed a dragonfruit seed over and over and over again before i actually got 2 seeds, and then spent several ingame days planting and replanting and feeding seeds to birds just so i could get more than ten dragonfruit.

let's not forget having to mash my right index finger mass feeding dragonfruit to a bird and then holding down spacebar beside a birdcage

with that system in place its easy to see why people in the old improved farm meta would rather grab veggies from cacti, mushrooms and  bunnymen instead of repeatedly feeding a bird to no avail.

Let's not forget the immense material costs you need to actually make an improved farm. 10 grass, 4 stones and 6 poop are very time-intensive to gather, taking away a chunk of time and resources you could have better spent on other things.

well, i said, if you are a farmer, the new farm would be better. Besides farmers, not many people gonna need 48 improved farms if they can have food from other resources. I mean, cacti, mushrooms, and bunnymen existed for a reason.

When there are so many people on the server, tho, as i mentioned, new farm would be good because there won't be enough cacti/mushrooms in the world.

So when would the new farm everyone happy? When jerky and mushrooms are nerfed, vege recipes are unavoidable. Everyone needs a highly efficient crop source, they all need to farm a lot. Then the new farm would be perfect.

17 minutes ago, Friendly Grass said:

I will objectively say that people who prefer the old farming system have significant misconceptions about the new one.

Or significant misconceptions about the old one. Or, as is more commonly the case, both.

While the old farms did have some advantages (mostly the ability to get crops now using fertilizer), most complaints about the new system fall into one of two categories.

Category 1 is people who think that the only efficient way to use the new farms is to babysit them 24/7 in order to get giant crops and complain about how the game "forces" them to play that way.

Category 2 is people who have somehow managed to fool themselves into thinking that the RNG of the old farms was remotely sustainable. Hint: it wasn't. No matter how you cut it, old farms could not even guarantee a net gain of one. You could literally plant 20 seeds, then have to feed all 20 to the bird cage, cause the RNG refused to give you more than 1 seed per crop. Sure, this is a very rare occurrence, but it was perfectly possible in the old system. And even without that edge case, you still had to recycle 66% of your harvest on average to be able to plant as many new crops as you had just picked.

18 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I need to ping several Devs though because I am now deeply saddened that I can not build the Sisturn Dead Center of this Farm Plot...3248915A-53E3-4B03-99B1-E32FACDC3C57.png

You can, you'll just need to get rid of the fences/walls and possibly the little tilled dirt hills. I don't know if the latter blocks placement, but you can just plant 3 seeds there and dig them up with a shovel immediately if so. Sisturns are just like any structure, they need some free space to be placed down in, and stuff like walls can make that space a bit difficult to find.

19 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

You can, you'll just need to get rid of the fences/walls and possibly the little tilled dirt hills. I don't know if the latter blocks placement, but you can just plant 3 seeds there and dig them up with a shovel immediately if so. Sisturns are just like any structure, they need some free space to be placed down in, and stuff like walls can make that space a bit difficult to find.

Can I put the walls back After placing the Sisturn? I mean the whole point is to have the walls there... lol 

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Can I put the walls back After placing the Sisturn? I mean the whole point is to have the walls there... lol 

yes. Walls and fences have little colision.

i recommend you to always place walls, fences, chests, suculent pots, etc the last thing. Always big things first

i actualy had like ideas on how both farms could work but nno one listen to me so here anyway

the farm plot can only grow random seeds but it just grows on its on fast and dont need much to do more and cant rot and the farm field is to grow all types of seeds random and known ones but it takes longer and you need to do more things for it but if your good at that you get more from 1 plant

new farms by a lot like for real they are now one of if not my favorite part of the game and i like the idea of having consequences if you farm badly so you gotta be on your toes and how the weeds can sometimes be a problem but also have some minor upsides

i was actually hating reap what u sow update cus farming with wicker book way faster .. but...

as a builder i find new decor item from new update is more flexible to work with 
so many new idea to use waxed giant crops and the scale ..
so i like the new update better now :D

extra: 
now because of this i actually play my wormwood that have been full of dust hanging cus tiling the farm is tedious work.

13 hours ago, prettynuggets said:

i was actually hating reap what u sow update cus farming with wicker book way faster

Before RWYS you needed 8/10 grass, 4/6 manure, and 4 logs/rocks for every single crop. Then you needed to give 2/3 of your crops to the bird.

The book was "nerfed" to only affecting 10 things, but to simply break even with the profits using the old system you would need to have made 30 farms. That's 240-300 grass, 120-180 manure, and 120 logs or rocks to gain an equal amount to what you can gain now for 12 logs, 6 grass, and 2 flint.

I think Horticulture, Abridged with RWYS farming is much better than Applied Horticulture with old farming. Quickly getting 50-150 seeds from a single book and then actually being able to use those seeds in a farming system that's worth using is incredibly useful. Old book with farm plants was basically a meme.

No contest here. Old farms were slow, inefficient and only focused on making one ultimate crop (often dragonfruit), required you to sacrifice your yield to replicate more and didn't function on two of the seasons (in summer they'd require constant hydration). New farms are engaging, intricate and they give almost all crops an interesting unique identity. They reward you so well for the effort you put in, making agriculture a reliable food source. I admit the circular farm plot designs were fun and now manure isn't as desirable as it used to be but overall it's one of the greatest changes klei implemented on a basic.mechanism in years. I really consider their overhauls to farming and fishing one of the best highlights of the recent past.

20201227081530_1.thumb.jpg.f7db63a2479b57c37d861bf55e35ae59.jpg
20210425131655_1.thumb.jpg.2a71fe26e0ff91ce8e15370e7404e424.jpg20210208214631_1.thumb.jpg.fbd4436d0faf443bc695437c36640671.jpg20201215220834_1.thumb.jpg.5dcbc383d3f85241caca0289189d482d.jpg20201210072002_1.thumb.jpg.c420d888743e8fc7657a3953e76b1ade.jpg20210426023310_1.thumb.jpg.350c317b5aaa308fc29240fb36db514e.jpg

On 4/27/2021 at 5:55 PM, Cheggf said:

Before RWYS you needed 8/10 grass, 4/6 manure, and 4 logs/rocks for every single crop. Then you needed to give 2/3 of your crops to the bird.

The book was "nerfed" to only affecting 10 things, but to simply break even with the profits using the old system you would need to have made 30 farms. That's 240-300 grass, 120-180 manure, and 120 logs or rocks to gain an equal amount to what you can gain now for 12 logs, 6 grass, and 2 flint.

I think Horticulture, Abridged with RWYS farming is much better than Applied Horticulture with old farming. Quickly getting 50-150 seeds from a single book and then actually being able to use those seeds in a farming system that's worth using is incredibly useful. Old book with farm plants was basically a meme.

but its faster :3 once u got tons of farm .. collecting dozen of crops in one spring and never touch it for hundreds days..
spamming book is easy ... 

I aint say its better 

noone really got into farming if not because warly buff and the decorating aspect they add 

basically what i farm now is only garlic onion pepper tomato and potato.. and some dragon fruit ..
the other basically a meh if not for waxed decor veggies like giant asparagus for my wall 

annndd i also say this :3

On 4/27/2021 at 3:50 AM, prettynuggets said:

so i like the new update better now :D

On 3/9/2021 at 2:29 PM, Mike23Ua said:

So Without making this into a TL:DR the Decorative Potential of previous farm plot has been out done by new farm plot.

Not entirely true, while you can certainly decorate the new farm plots more, grown veggies on old farm plots never rot or go bad and can sit in their grown form indefinitely so you can have whatever crop you want decorating an old farm indefinitely. 

The only way to do this with new farm plots is to wax giant crops which you likely wouldn't leave on the farm plot itself (so you can keep using it). Plus the old models for veggies and fruit are now unique to the old farms so there's that.

I personally have a bunch of old farms with grown dragonfruit that more or less serve as decoration now.

1 hour ago, GelatinousCube said:

Not entirely true, while you can certainly decorate the new farm plots more, grown veggies on old farm plots never rot or go bad and can sit in their grown form indefinitely so you can have whatever crop you want decorating an old farm indefinitely. 

The only way to do this with new farm plots is to wax giant crops which you likely wouldn't leave on the farm plot itself (so you can keep using it). Plus the old models for veggies and fruit are now unique to the old farms so there's that.

I personally have a bunch of old farms with grown dragonfruit that more or less serve as decoration now.

No they without a doubt rotted on the old system if they don't now it could be a bug due to them. Being removed from the main content.

Archived