[Poll] On Player Social Preferences

im shy...  

85 members have voted

1. 1. How do you play DST in terms of social preferences?

2. 2. If with other people, who do you play with?

• My close friends.
    • My family members.
    • People who I've met on the Klei Forums.
    • People who I've met on the Steam Community.
    • Totally random people.
    • Streamers.
    • Other (Do mention in the comments!)
    • I answered "Alone".
  3. 3. If you play alone, why so?

• It's easier to survive alone.
    • I thrive when I am alone.
    • I'm validly afraid of griefing.
    • I simply function most efficiently without other people getting in the way.
    • I find being alone soothing.
    • I'm testing a mod's features.
    • I challenge myself by facing the game's challenges - designed for multiplayer - alone.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted "With Other People".
  4. 4. If you play with others, why so?

• It's easier to survive with other people.
    • I thrive when other people are around me.
    • I function more effectively when I cooperate with other people.
    • I find the company of other people comforting.
    • I want to help other people survive.
    • I challenge myself by facing the game's challenges while managing and dealing with other people.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
    • I voted "Alone".

Always pubs, always with people - even if most times I actually nomad, not part of any base, doing my mojo independent of others. Because I fancy pretty much the shenanigans happening in pubs, reading chat constantly yields comedic gold. Be it "Who brought this animal in base, pls get this animal out or I will kill it" told to.. a Werebeaver Woodie chased by Shadows with one occasion, and to a Big dancing Woby on another; or "Why did a herd of beefs run past me.. in flames"; that nooby Wigfrid racing past camp with a Varg and horde of dogs after, now munching the peeps in said base; or some ghost Wilson haunting Varg farm close to base, filling it with Hounds and killing everyone in it... non-stop madness, non-stop wicked amusement. Where can one find true "uncompromising survival" if not in hectic pubs?! Also featuring your friendly neighborhood griefers - usually Wilsons, Willows or Webbers ("Nice bae U got dere, mate! Wouldn't be a $hame if somethin were to happen to it, oy?!"). Since "Life is sad without horns!" :twisted:

DisloyalUnripeInchworm-small.gif

It depends of a lot of things, I've been playing exclusively with friends lately, but played a lot of solo last year. So I had to vote for "with other people". But it might be completely different in a month or so... :distant: anyway

I would rather play solo for very long world playtime. When it comes to play with friends, like 5-6 players (always private), it's almost impossible to keep everyone playing for more than 100 days, I think I'm not the only one experimenting this every time. Once half the server started loosing interest, it's hard to continue. I just did that one more time in November and this is probably the last time cause it's annoying.

So I prefer only with 1-2 friends, with guys like @Steamerclaw or @Le Rafistoleur, it's easy to play something like 800 days, just the time to do all boss and construct pretty epic stuff. But more than that is still quite difficult, there's a moment players doesn't want to continue, and I have difficulties to keep playing alone on something that started with others.

Alone, I can have fun for like 2 000 days, can be a lot less or more, depends if I want to wait for a new update (and I always restart at this point, sorry retrofit) or other things that keep me away from the game too long to continue a previous world.

Also when I play multiplayer, there's a lot of things that really anger me ! Just some examples, I have a friend that is always looking to play with us, that's fine, I really like him, he have over 1 000 hours of experience on this game, good, but every time we complete something, here come the question : "What do we do now ?"... ... ... like, am I the only one who just want to curse anybody who ask this ? It's much worse than where is base.
I should mention that I'm always the host (cause my worldgen files are a bit more advanced) and I prefer being the base builder cause I don't want it to be a small boring base (the kind of stuff you always see on public servers)... still it's super difficult to explain someone what to do when you're actually free to do anything, this game is not just about building chests.
Another thing is the lack of communication, and yet we always play in vocal. Now let's say it's day 14 or something like that, everyone's having a good time, you're minding your business while everybody is apparently around doing something useful... then you see this on top of the screen :
"Thatguy was killed by Dangling Depth Dweller. This *** became a spooky ghost!", I swear that I need a solid explanation to find the motivation to stop all my plans to help out.

TLTR : what a funny game

I like playing with groups, randos or friends. The problem with randos tho is that no pub makes it beyond Winter due to burnout, and I love going through Spring and Summer. Playing with friends allows for this, but then it becomes difficult finding a time when everyone can play.

i play mostly alone because i always liked the game since it was only a single player game but also i like to play with my friends for the sake of liking playing games with my friends and this one is one of the best cooperative games in terms of team work, hilarious and stresful situations, etc

50 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Always pubs, always with people - even if most times I actually nomad, not part of any base, doing my mojo independent of others. Because I fancy pretty much the shenanigans happening in pubs, reading chat constantly yields comedic gold. Be it "Who brought this animal in base, pls get this animal out or I will kill it" told to.. a Werebeaver Woodie chased by Shadows with one occasion, and to a Big dancing Woby on another; or "Why did a herd of beefs run past me.. in flames"; that nooby Wigfrid racing past camp with a Varg and horde of dogs after, now munching the peeps in said base; or some ghost Wilson haunting Varg farm close to base, filling it with Hounds and killing everyone in it... non-stop madness, non-stop wicked amusement. Where can one find true "uncompromising survival" if not in hectic pubs, also featuring your friendly neighborhood griefers (usually Wilsons, Willows or Webbers)?! Since "Life is sad without horns!" :twisted:

Sometimes I assemble the marble statues and place all 3 of them in the mega base, and see if natural selection occurs on day 21.

Why not both

I voted alone tho, bc I would never hit 1000 hours in less than a year by playing with my disorganized mess of friends (love ya).

Why? Because I like it. I always play alone, noone got time for me. And I play REALLY slowly, and taking stuff at my own pace is much more fun than messing around on public servers. I go to pubs once in a while to bother people, and sometimes I have a good time there. But playing alone is best. 

And DST is currently my go to game, always the distraction I need, things prepared months in advance for the events, butt sore from hours spent in front of computer. Playing with others is tiring, playing alone is not.

I said I play this game mostly alone, but I do play with other people (mostly close friends who I trust..) but sometimes I’ll make a world just to see how quickly it goes to hell with random players. And to be honest, It’s most the time faster then I predicted.

People are just jerks, that’s really all I can say, if there is a way to spoil someone elses fun then they’re gonna do it just because that’s what gets their kicks on. Its stupid, I’ve never understood why people do it.. and I wish the game had more ways of preventing it besides having to roll the world back and make everyone lose progress on whatever they were doing.

And because I have no desire to spend most my time rolling back when players break/burn things.. I simply opt to play Alone or with someone who if they burn my stuff I know where they live and can drive to their house and give them a swift kick in places shoes shouldn’t go. :)

6 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

People are just jerks, that’s really all I can say, if there is a way to spoil someone elses fun then they’re gonna do it just because that’s what gets their kicks on. Its stupid, I’ve never understood why people do it.. and I wish the game had more ways of preventing it besides having to roll the world back and make everyone lose progress on whatever they were doing.

Because humanity is a car wreck, train wreck, and plane crash that's still moving, without brakes. 

I voted "alone" since that's what I've been doing the most often, but I have played Together as well, so I picked options on that list as well, for when I _do_ play with others.  

This ended up being way too long, so rather than take up everybody's space, I did spoilers.  First, why I play together, and how:

Spoiler

I've actually got a bunch of Steam friends and MOST of them are from when I played on publics or had my own server as public, and they turned out to be a nice person who helped out, and we played well together.  A few I met here on the forums.  And one is my brother, whom i gave my second copy to.  (He got introduced to the game on a _modded_ world 'cos I set my server up the way I usually do before I knew any newbies would be stopping by, but still...)  So I put "Steam friends" and "family members" on the Together part of the poll.

The times I _have_ played with somebody else who meshes well with my play style, have taken a lot of the burden off of me--like, when I played with (REDACTED) and she's just a natural base-homemaker while I tend to get stir-crazy and go out exploring/gathering, and it was a HUGE help that I didn't also have to, myself, take care of base stuff every time I came back, and worry about if I'd been away long enough that the bird would die, etc.  Everything goes faster when you've got a _good_ partner player, and each of you only has to do half the stuff. 
I've also joined big proper-playing established bases with large groups on Klei publics, a few times.  Usually I end up being the one who just randomly has whatever random basic resource someone's looking for, 'cos I collect them as I go.  Although it was chaotic, that time on the one that had ALL THE FREAKING MACTUSKS EVERYWHERE was oddly fun.  

Spoiler

ignore this, I messed up and don't know how to remove it

Why I play alone:

Spoiler

On the other hand, I came up through singleplayer, and so although it's annoying sometimes, I'm USED to it being just me who takes care of stuff, and if I don't it don't get done.  I also play alone so I can properly do challenges (like the March of Civilization one, and I have no idea HOW I'm gonna work the Agriculture part of it in _now_, that there aren't basic and fancier farms) and try out mods, because I don't want to spring weirdness or brokenness on unsuspecting other players, or show other people me playing in a world that's way too easy.

One of the main reasons I play alone, and this is gonna sound sad, because it is, is because I'm depressed and I have a weird sleep schedule, and I don't want other people waiting on me, being impatient that I'm not there at a certain time, feeling let down if I don't show up at a certain time of day every day...because the time I want to play ISN'T always the same time, and some days I don't want to play at all.  I want the freedom to casually just bop in and out whenever I feel like--or not--and as soon as other people are involved, scheduling problems pop up, even if only small ones.  (Also because of my weird schedule, a lot of my Steam friends are from other continents--so lag is often an issue...)

AND I'm also a super-slow, super low-key kind of player and other people might get frustrated with me that I haven't killed X boss or rushed the ruins yet.  News flash:  You'll be waiting a LONG time.  Do I _need_ to?  Is that boss attacking me right now?  No? Then I'm'a go back to playing a nomadic caveman for a year.  Also I don't know what length said year will be, because random seasons (another thing other players might not be willing to put up with).  Seeya!

(the other day, someone showed up because I had forgotten to put my world as "friends only", and when they asked me "What are you doing right now?" and I answered "Running from the Dragonfly", they were like "Noice!  Starting things fast, huh?"  I didn't have the heart to tell them I was just exploring... : P)

Last but not least, I'm a Willow main.  MUCH easier to not get banned or yelled at when it's my own server.  :)

Nowadays, "both" but mostly alone is my style.  I have my servers all marked as Friends Only, but I have a decent amount of Steam friends so there's still a good possibility someone could come along.  I might still wander off in the middle of winter to look for unpicked plants, but you can count on there being a firepit of each kind, axes, and trees at the portal--and if you're lucky, I just might greet you with the Stagehand following me on purpose.  Welcome to my server!  Here's a free spookout.  ;)

Edit:  Good poll idea, by the way!  It's an interesting topic that ANYbody can answer, regardless of skill level or who they main.

...Notorious

I play alone probably 99.9% of the time.  Its not that I don't like other people being around, but I often have my own agenda when I play.  I can't trust someone else's world or a public one to be there for me next time I log in to pick up where I left off so I almost always host my own game.  I wouldn't mind if someone randomly joined my game and did their thing but its usually more laggy since its running on my pc and not an actual server.  Plus my roommates might be streaming or gaming themselves and my net isn't that great.

When I do get the chance to get a game going with my friends I really enjoy it, but also I don't have many friends who could commit to a DST world a few hours each week.  We've tried a few times and its been fun even if it was on console lol

I've tried joining some discord groups but the pattern seems to be the same every time.  One person wants to host a world and have a group to play with, they start up for 1-2 sessions and then never log in again lol XD

Archived