[Game Update] - 443554

• Developer
3 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Am I the only one that notices increased difficulty when trying to get 9 planting holes within 1 tile ? Like it cant be done without going all the way to the very edge of the tile

We will take a closer look tomorrow. In the meantime, could you post a screenshot of where you tilled and it didn't work out?

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

Am I the only one that notices increased difficulty when trying to get 9 planting holes within 1 tile ? Like it cant be done without going all the way to the very edge of the tile

I have the same problem. The radius of farm soils has been increased from 1.25 to 1.5 to avoid the 4x4 grid, but this also makes the 3x3 grid more difficult to achieve.

Spoiler

By the way Circle packing in a square indicates that we can still put up to 12 in a grid.

1024px-12_circles_in_a_square.svg.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure if the seed backpack really needs any spoilage reduction, considering it takes around 40 days for uncooked seeds to completely spoil.

That's not even including stacking it with other, fresher seeds; which you tend to get quite a lot of as you're farming.

• Like 5
  • Big Ups 1

Okay so all I got to say about this patch is that I absolutely love that the new Backpack requires shells to craft, I hope more content updates have craftables that require the player to visit different locations, I mean you have this huge beautiful content rich game-

Why not utilize all its various ingredients? 
I understand that doing that may make the game too complex and confusing for newer players, but it would also give players who know a good bit about the game incentive to explore their worlds more.

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

What plants were changed? I only notice durian (i dont farm much variety)

check out laknish's link. Legacy combos are prepatch, new combos are of course the new combos.

48 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

The new crop combos can be located here. A legacy version of the old crop combos are also there for you to compare.

FYI, 1:1 crop auto nutrient combos are no more.

Edited by Bird Up
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

We will take a closer look tomorrow. In the meantime, could you post a screenshot of where you tilled and it didn't work out?

Here is the layout of 9 holes that was easy to make before20201203040849_1.thumb.jpg.d920658ca933d137193a7bf08a0920e7.jpg
You can see here 3 dug holes and 6 remnants of the holes that disappear when tilling near (this wasn't happening before at this distance), all fitting within one pitchfork tile (white frame)

Currently you can get 9 holes this way. However it is within one farm tile (so it goes at the very edge or almost outside of pitchfork tile)
20201203040449_1.thumb.jpg.c4001f696d9c26a626c2b23659214255.jpg

This is suboptimal because when using two adjacent tiles, an edge of the tile is shared between them, so instead having 18 holes on two tiles (as in 9 holes per one tile), you can get only 15, as seen below
20201203040459_1.thumb.jpg.09d69fc16cee47ac65d59562e6ceafa7.jpg

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 14
  • Haha 1

@ScottHansen

After looking at the new list versus the old one, I think the nutrient system we had before this was significantly better than what we got this update xD

The amount of diverse and really good crop synergies was making me look forward to farming a large variety of crop food in DST.

This wasn't going to be limited to 1x1 tiles either, they went as big as 2x4 tiles that were compact with lots of diverse crops and combinations that were fun and rewarding to pull off. These were combos that were using 3x3 tills in a tile as well, cause we knew that 4x4's were not intended and planned accordingly.

Now, the synergies look to be something that I really don't want to invest the time and effort in, unfortunately.

I'll of course experiment more with the new combos, but as an initial impression, this is what it feels like to me.

Edited by lakhnish
last sentence; 2x4 tiles, not 2x3
  • Like 18
  • Big Ups 4

image.thumb.png.e70100d9e5dbed66cff4bf48162a93b0.png

12 is possible, but the original 3x3s were pretty dominant anyway. So to me, the 4x4 farm plot wasn't a big deal. While I tried 4x4 plots, only some of my crops were giant, and meanwhile my friend used 3x3s and all his were giants. Reason was because 4x4 plot ate up a ton of nutrients so it balanced out. Don't feel it needed to be removed, or at least in the way that it made 3x3s harder to produce.

Edited by Bird Up
  • Like 2

I really appreciate what is being done with these updates. I absolutely love the new farming system. However, spiders+bunnies with some berry bushes still is better than farming imo (winter would just be replacing berries for ice) for food and healing. There are just too many thing to keep track of that would make me want to do farming early game, and especially now that combos have been nerfed, the lack of real automation of the farming mid-late game doesn't really make me want to set it up. The rewards do not outweigh, for me at least, the benefits. Again, I am really loving the care and attention put into this update, and it has made me really excited for farming. However, it just doesn't seem as worth as want I would want.

Edited by SilverBisexual
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Reap what you Sow Beta Hotfix (443490 + 443554)

Changes

• Tweaked the Lord of the Fruit Flies behaviors and hp.
  • Tweaked the spawning conditions of the Lord of the Fruit Flies.
  • Fruit Flies will now attack the player when the Lord of the Fruit Flies is dead
  • Fruit Flies will now drop seeds on death.
  • Fruit Flies will take longer to plant weeds and make plants unhappy.

Thank you for fruit flies tweaks! Now everything looks fine.

Thank you for your relentless hard work!

Edited by HeatAndRun

Aw, not a fan of the new nutrition values I'd say; too restrictive and eliminates all the cool options with two crop designs. Now it feels much more restrictive and revolves around a certain dictated model. The only change I appreciate is Durian's movement from manure-heavy to compost-heavy as the community requested so thanks for that, but still I'm not thrilled to be restricted to a handful of 3 crop combinations for perfect matchups.

• Like 6
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

too restrictive

Yeah, not a fan of this too, why try hard to kill 4x4 plot, modder will just revert this.

Crop-combo should not be restricted, the more combo the more fun when farming.

Please, Klei, don't restricted crops to the point that Survivor come back to 1 meat 1 egg 2 cactus and 1 meat 3 ice.

Farming is just get interesting, and you are trying to kill it with the recent update ([Game Update] - 443554)

Edited by Psychomaniac
  • Like 4