[Game Update] - 443554

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

if i let them planted it will rot sooner

That's correct !!! (i remember i said: "after harvest")

When Crop turn giant, you harvest them then leave them on the field, and only hammer them when you need food, like in the picture i harvested them already (The carry mouse cursor appear) after they turn giant.

Edited by Psychomaniac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Psychomaniac said:

That's correct !!!

When Crop turn giant, you harvest them then leave them on the field, and only hammer them when you need food, like in the picture i harvested them already (The carry mouse cursor appear) after they turn giant.

that is so helpful, thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

I think you didnt calc any time

In the time you farm 60 cacti, 60 eggs and 60 monster meat plus the time require to cook them i will have ready an entire field of tomatoes and dragon fruits that will return more than that

If you dont like it is okey, for that this update is amazing, it brings a new good way of getting food, sanity and healing, but saying that it isnt worth... that just means that you didnt try or understand the new farms

I have problems to store all the veggies i get for just a 1/3 part of spring or even less and i didnt even babysit the farms, as some of the users against farms think, you only need to plant it and leave.

I have already let in other topics an screenshot of my field and the results. Arround120 tomatoes (20hp each)+60 dragonpies for just 1 harvest (few days of spring) isnt a joke and i understand klei when they decided to nerf the combos in the previous hotfix because is extremly easy to get food (useful food) with this method

So tell me how much time you will need to harvest and cook that amount of healing and food because it will not be less even with autofarms 

It takes about 1 minute to get 40 large meat from a pig farm and can easily be scaled up without more time investment, while also getting enough pig skin for 20 football helmets and providing you with a wood chopping team for gathering logs, saving you time since you do three essentials at ones. If you switch to Winona and set up an automated hound farm it will be even faster when it comes to getting meat. Getting 20 veggies takes about 40 seconds when just running around picking them up and honey takes around 20 seconds to get 48. All without any maintenance, and likely with less setup time than getting enough dragon fruit seeds for your setup the first time, while also taking care of getting armour. In addition to that, all the above methods work all the seasons with the exception of a honey farm, though due to how overpowered beehives are when it comes to production and how slow honey spoils, it is not really restricted to seasons. It allows for a more flexible and aggressive playstyle for rushing though the content of the game. Sorry to say it but it is less time I spend while also getting football helmets as an added bonus. 

Besides all methods would automatically lose to blue mushroom forests when judging healing foods compared to time investment.

Maybe farms are not worthless, but their usefulness only starts after I've burned though all the content of a generated word, and the lack of convenience of the system will make a lot of people not care for it.

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Potato Cup 1

3 minutes ago, FloraGreen said:

It takes about 1 minute to get 40 large meat from a pig farm

and im sure it takes quite a while to setup an elaborated 40 pig house system 

meanwhile growing a couple of giant crops to occupy an entire season's fridge needs nothing but a few days and a couple errands

Edited by Well-met
  • Like 2

Just now, Well-met said:

and im sure it takes quite a while to setup an elaborated 40 pig house system 

meanwhile growing up a couple of giant crops to occupy an entire season needs nothing but a few days and a couple errands

You did not read my post. You need to invest a lot of time into getting specific seeds, where your farm is in a fairly useless start-up mode.

3 minutes ago, FloraGreen said:

It takes about 1 minute to get 40 large meat from a pig farm and can easily be scaled up without more time investment, while also getting enough pig skin for 20 football helmets and providing you with a wood chopping team for gathering logs, saving you time since you do three essentials at ones. If you switch to Winona and set up an automated hound farm it will be even faster when it comes to getting meat. Getting 20 veggies takes about 40 seconds when just running around picking them up and honey takes around 20 seconds to get 48. All without any maintenance, and likely with less setup time than getting enough dragon fruit seeds for your setup the first time, while also taking care of getting armour. In addition to that, all the above methods work all the seasons with the exception of a honey farm, though due to how overpowered beehives are when it comes to production and how slow honey spoils, it is not really restricted to seasons. It allows for a more flexible and aggressive playstyle for rushing though the content of the game. Sorry to say it but it is less time I spend while also getting football helmets as an added bonus. 

Besides all methods would automatically lose to blue mushroom forests when judging healing foods compared to time investment.

Maybe farms are not worthless, but their usefulness only starts after I've burned though all the content of a generated word, and the lack of convenience of the system will make a lot of people not care for it.

what about cooking all you said? the dish that takes less time to cook from the ingredients you mentioned are meat stew and pierogi that has an average cooking time, honey hams, honey nuggets, bacon and eggs has long cook time. Meanwhile, when you already know what to plant and have seeds (easy with this patch) you can simply eat corn or pumpkins and heal with rosted tomatoes, pomegranades, eggplants or potatoes

2 minutes ago, FloraGreen said:

You did not read my post. You need to invest a lot of time into getting specific seeds, where your farm is in a fairly useless start-up mode.

like making meat farms can be done in seconds and without resources

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

like making meat farms can be done in seconds and without resources

Relocating a few pighouses does not take a lot of time, besides that time investment goes to multiple essentials, and not just food as I've stated. In addition to food you also get easy logs, living logs, and football helmets.

6 minutes ago, FloraGreen said:

Relocating a few pighouses does not take a lot of time, besides that time investment goes to multiple essentials, and not just food as I've stated. In addition to food you also get easy logs, living logs, and football helmets.

You have to travel across the whole map and it's not as easy if you're a Webber, Wortox or Wurt player. If not practically unavailable as a food source/farm if you don't know what you're doing, especially for Wurt.

How do you get living logs from this? Far as I know pigs don't drop living logs. Even then (as far as I know), all the pig farms require it to be full moon as well (Again, as far as I know of). With regular farming you can do it everyday and still gain quite a bit, which can take less space than a pig farm and can be very efficient if you take care of them.

P.S Football helmets aren't essential, while they're certainly a huge help in fights. It's not an essential that you need to live, outside of being used for combat.

• Like 1

I think we've reached the point where if a few people are still arguing about the new farming being ineffective and worthless its safe to say they either have not actually played it themselves, or they have but they dont yet know all the ins and outs of the system. 

Arguing which source of food is the best in a game where the whole point is that there are a multitude of solutions to the same problem is entirely pointless. If ur getting all ur hunger needs satisfied by pig houses congrats. theres a webber out there who is getting all his food needs satisfied by eating only monster meat. Someone else is getting their belly filled with rabbit morsels and berries and some wurt is living off of avocados entirely it doesnt matter which one is best. you do what suits you the most. 

I really gotta give it so some of these forum goers, 30 ppl could be attesting that the new farming is good and there will still be someone loudly proclaiming its actually trash and everyone else is wrong. 

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ohan said:

I think we've reached the point where if a few people are still arguing about the new farming being ineffective and worthless its safe to say they either have not actually played it themselves, or they have but they dont yet know all the ins and outs of the system.

Or we have but do not see a place for it. I think a lot of the people talking against it are optimization oriented players who just want to rush the bosses of the game with little focus on keeping a server alive past eating though all the combat content.

41 minutes ago, Ohan said:

Arguing which source of food is the best in a game where the whole point is that there are a multitude of solutions to the same problem is entirely pointless. If ur getting all ur hunger needs satisfied by pig houses congrats. theres a webber out there who is getting all his food needs satisfied by eating only monster meat. Someone else is getting their belly filled with rabbit morsels and berries and some wurt is living off of avocados entirely it doesnt matter which one is best. you do what suits you the most. 

I really gotta give it so some of these forum goers, 30 ppl could be attesting that the new farming is good and there will still be someone loudly proclaiming its actually trash and everyone else is wrong. 

It's all about convenience, knowledge and willingness to invest time in a given activity (plus how most people actively try to cut corners with every opportunity). An activity that has quicker and more fun alternatives that once set up, are forever (if no accidents like a Giant mushing them happen). 0 maintenance required. As opposed to the new plot-farming mechanic.

"30 people" on this forum means nothing in relation to player-base as a whole - consider: these forumers testing in Beta new plot-farming system are highly invested players driven to know all ins-and-outs of the game. In contrast and for example, there are 20.129 players in-game at the moment of this post and 31.103 peak for last 24h - from them, vast majority plays the game at a superficial level, less than 20 min per session. Do you think those people, vast majority I repeat, will have any traction into learning a new and complex farming mechanic? Or cut corners via old "meta"?! A new farm mechanic requiring match graphs, in-depth research and constant baby-sitting to obtain maximum of crops? Not to mention if same logic is applied like in past - "set and forget" - aka tile, plant and be gone for a season smashing bosses&mobs, explore etc, when coming back you find rot and weeds. Plus flies. No more aesthetically displayed farms, no more crops preserved on farm till one needs them. But a tedious mechanic where superficial or no-implication at all is punished. Sure, it adds to the Survival aspect. But in the end how many bulk player-base people will fancy and be proficient at it? From what I saw in pubs (KLei and community dedicated servers likewise) almost no one builds current farms. This new one... will see best 1 month after its release. Heck, even 1 week later if will be as bad received as I suspect, knowing what behavior people usually have in pubs. Atm enthusiasm is high because a lot of new stuff will be added. Shiny, eye candy stuff. Yet as actual utility goes in relation to "meta" and cutting corners....hmm. We will certainly see.

• Thanks 1

Unlike most other ppls i really liked this update, but unfortunately im really sorry to say but in my opinion this hotfix ruined the whole update with stress mechanic and decreased tiling

Edited by Whyro

Initial impression was I didn't need a spoilage slowdown as the rate of seeds spoilage is quite huge.....After playing for many days and during clearing the ruins I lost my entirety of my farming progression as all the seeds rotted, as I play solo and don't cheese bee queen I don't have bundling wraps. Farming latches to keep farming and penalizes doing other things.:(

Perhaps spoilage reduction for seed pack it was a good idea, instead of having 2 fridges full of seeds.

Edited by ansuman
  • Like 1

I do not like this changes, don't starve is not a farming simulator, making farming too realistic makes farming not valuable at all in don't starve, which will decrease the farmers in don't starve even more, yes, it is fun, but for a short while, because you need insane amount of festilizers which in some cases are very hard to find, you should come back to what you have done with crops fullfilling themselves by other types, instead of pointing that you need poop/rot/compost, it's pointless because it adds extra work that you will leave after a week or two because it was too hard to manage

1 minute ago, ArcerPL said:

I do not like this changes, don't starve is not a farming simulator, making farming too realistic makes farming not valuable at all in don't starve, which will decrease the farmers in don't starve even more, yes, it is fun, but for a short while, because you need insane amount of festilizers which in some cases are very hard to find, you should come back to what you have done with crops fullfilling themselves by other types, instead of pointing that you need poop/rot/compost, it's pointless because it adds extra work that you will leave after a week or two because it was too hard to manage

It takes less effort for a more consistent and fruitful (get it?) harvest than you would get with farm plots.

The complexity is entirely optional and it rewards you with enough veggies to last a year in the span of 2.5 days.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

On 12/4/2020 at 7:15 PM, FloraGreen said:

Or we have but do not see a place for it. I think a lot of the people talking against it are optimization oriented players who just want to rush the bosses of the game with little focus on keeping a server alive past eating though all the combat content.

actually im more of casual player than a rusher, those changes are terrible, i'd like something that isn't farming simulator 2.0, only use of crops is warly spices or fullfilling your stomach through dragon pie, but that's pretty it

Just now, QuartzBeam said:

It takes less effort for a more consistent and fruitful (get it?) harvest than you would get with farm plots.

The complexity is entirely optional and it rewards you with enough veggies to last a year in the span of 2.5 days.

but it takes literally double the time in managing the farms, because you have to visit them daily, what if you play alone and you need to explore, it literally makes you sit in one place, because if you are not careful, the plants will die, which completely ruins the way of don't starve foraging essence, as a woody main, it is completely unspeakibly bad way of teaching players how to play

21 minutes ago, ArcerPL said:

but it takes literally double the time in managing the farms, because you have to visit them daily, what if you play alone and you need to explore, it literally makes you sit in one place, because if you are not careful, the plants will die, which completely ruins the way of don't starve foraging essence, as a woody main, it is completely unspeakibly bad way of teaching players how to play

Not only are the new farms ridiculously cheaper than the old ones, but they take exactly zero maintenance to provide a better harvest than the old farm plots ever did. No hair-pulling Bird Cage RNG involved.

Just about statement you've made about this update is either an incorrect assumption or a conclusion based on an incorrect assumption. Which indicates you haven't played the new content much and are just reacting to the idea of complexity. Like, seriously:

"makes farming not valuable"

Enough food to last a year and a half in 2.5 days? Worthless.

"you need insane amount of festilizers"

No, you don't. You can automate fertilization or just neglect it and it'll still be better than what you'd get before.

"it takes literally double the time in managing the farms"

No, it does not. Also, you used to have to sacrifice 2/3rds of your harvest to replant everything.

"you have to visit them daily"

Only if you want giant crops, which are entirely optional. And if you do get them, they can feed you for a year afterwards.

"the plants will die"

They will rot then turn back into seeds, so you'll have lost nothing.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

2 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

Not only are the new farms ridiculously cheaper than the old ones, but they take exactly zero maintenance to provide a better harvest than the old farm plots ever did. No hair-pulling Bird Cage RNG involved.

Just about statement you've made about this update is either an incorrect assumption or a conclusion based on an incorrect assumption. Which indicates you haven't played the new content much and are just reacting to the idea of complexity. Like, seriously:

"makes farming not valuable"

Enough food to last a year and a half in 2.5 days? Worthless.

"you need insane amount of festilizers"

No, you don't. You can automate fertilization or just neglect it and it'll still be better than what you'd get before.

"it takes literally double the time in managing the farms"

No, it does not. Also, you used to have to sacrifice 2/3rds of your harvest to replant everything.

"you have to visit them daily"

Only if you want giant crops, which are entirely optional. And if you do get them, they can feed you for a year afterwards.

"the plants will die"

They will rot then turn back into seeds, so you'll have lost nothing.

Sometimes I feel like I'm noticing a trend with things that get reworked and how people react to them. 

20 minutes ago, ArcerPL said:

actually im more of casual player than a rusher, those changes are terrible, i'd like something that isn't farming simulator 2.0, only use of crops is warly spices or fullfilling your stomach through dragon pie, but that's pretty it

No it absolutely doesn't, you need zero effort and zero maintenance to ALREADY get better results than previous farm plots, the complexity only gets you better yield, and even then the complexity is only knowledge to get, applying it in game requires very few time and almost zero resource investment.

I'm really baffled by so many people not realising that this system literally does not have a punishment system, only big reward for small effort or usual reward for no effort. I can't understand how you draw such conclusions testing this update while thinking you got the whole picture of it.

Yes your crops will rot if you let them fully grown for long on the field, because perish system for food is a key system in this game. If you go explore for 10 days, your meat will also be rotten. This update makes you drown in farm food for less effort than setting up a bunnymen farm before the update, while you needed to spend hours of planting and bird feeding before to get a few stacks of dragon fruit and seeds to replant.

You can like or not like the update of course, but not liking it based on how it made the farming more tedious and time consuming makes no sens. Klei has solved don't starve's problem with farming system very elegantly, it's very sad you can't see it.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1