[Game Update] - 443554

I love all the Fruit Fly tweaks and not just because they indirectly make weeds more common either. I had actually gone into the beta assuming Fruit Flies could spawn on their own and the Lord of the Fruit Flies would be some worst case scenario, so it's great to see them better utilized.

I am a bit iffy on the new crop combinations though. Only ratios that seem to work now are 1:1:1 and 2:1:1, but I'm gonna do some more extensive testing in a few hours, including some 4-crop combinations. I do not necessarily have an issue with this change, but it does exacerbate the issue of fertilizers just being too weak for the effort they require to get.

A Composting Bin will give you up to 3 Composts per day, provided you practically babysit it so you can always turn it for the speed boost. But 1 Compost can only feed 0.25-0.5 farm plants, which means a single Composting Bin can only feed 0.75-1.50 farm plants per day. And then there's the fact you have to use a total of 18-36 Composts per tile of 9 crops and just as many clicks, so enjoy your carpal tunnel syndrome.

Then, there is the Weak Formula Starter, which takes some intensive log farming to get a boat and a fair bit of time to actually collect, but only fertilizes an impressively unimpressive 0.03-0.06 farm plants. Per use. You have to get tons of bottles and let them all rot at the same time to get enough Super Formula Starter for it to start being remotely worthwhile. But even Super Formula Starter only feeds 1.2-2.4 farm plants through it's 5 uses. In other words, you need 3.75-7.5 Super Formula Starters per tile of 9 crops, or 18.75-37.5 clicks per tile.

Manure doesn't fair much better, not least of all because it has no "+8" item, but at least it's more farmable than the other types of fertilizer.

• Like 4

Klei keep changing Crops Nutrient cycle, made many self-feeding combo not working. 

Maybe i should sit back and wait for Crop's nutrient cycle to settle.

As for Fertilizer, think with the self-feeding combo you don't need to fertilize while farming, and after harvest, just dig-up the plot with a fork and create a new plot >>> free starter nutrient.

2 hours ago, Ahad Ahmet Unal said:

i didnt even know 4x4 thing

Look how easy farming can be with the 4x4 plot + the old nutrient system

Spoiler

All 14 crops, Self-feeding and all giant. 1rst Row is in Spring, 2nd row is in Autumn

image.thumb.png.2f9f7c501e7999e00110db39286ce49f.png

Edited by Psychomaniac
  • Like 2

I love the majority of the update, especially the fruitfly behavior. But it just feels REAL bad working with the new spacing for crops. While the 4x4 crops weren't intended, the spacing between each crop felt perfect. Since the 4x4 was only really possible for 1 tile plots, and only with perfect placing, the spacing made placing the 3x3s comfortable. I already had a bit of trouble with placing the 3x3's well enough to accommodate every crop, it feels impossible for me to place anything without burning an entire splendid hoe for a single four plot square.

The fix felt like it solved a niche problem, but created a worse accessibility/Quality of life problem.

9 hours ago, lakhnish said:

@ScottHansen

After looking at the new list versus the old one, I think the nutrient system we had before this was significantly better than what we got this update xD

The amount of diverse and really good crop synergies was making me look forward to farming a large variety of crop food in DST.

This wasn't going to be limited to 1x1 tiles either, they went as big as 2x4 tiles that were compact with lots of diverse crops and combinations that were fun and rewarding to pull off. These were combos that were using 3x3 tills in a tile as well, cause we knew that 4x4's were not intended and planned accordingly.

Now, the synergies look to be something that I really don't want to invest the time and effort in, unfortunately.

I'll of course experiment more with the new combos, but as an initial impression, this is what it feels like to me.

Im going to be completely honest as i always am. I think farming was perfect as the previous patch. 

If we going to start to have to invest so much time into growing stuff, add even more complexity, it will end up being something fun for a while and then something we ditch in the end, and that would be really sad in such an awesome content update.

The tiles nerf is totally okay as long as we can do the 9 per square easily, which aint happening at all.

Edited by GLERMZ
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Psychomaniac said:

Klei keep changing Crops Nutrient cycle, made many self-feeding combo not working. 

Maybe i should sit back and wait for Crop's nutrient cycle to settle.

As for Fertilizer, think with the self-feeding combo you don't need to fertilize while farming, and after harvest, just dig-up the plot with a fork and create a new plot >>> free starter nutrient.

Look how easy farming can be with the 4x4 plot + the old nutrient system

Hide contents

All 14 crops, Self-feeding and all giant. 1rst Row is in Spring, 2nd row is in Autumn

image.thumb.png.2f9f7c501e7999e00110db39286ce49f.png

isnt it too OP, having all crops as giant? i think it was broken

5 minutes ago, Ahad Ahmet Unal said:

isnt it too OP, having all crops as giant? i think it was broken

What is OP about it? First i said the tile nerf is okay as long as the 3x3 actually works.

Second untill you get into the giant growth formulas you had to put work for it and in the end you have to think that this ingridients are competing with many other fillers that are waaaaaaay easier to gather.

I love the new Farming but DST is still a game outside of it, if you end up having to put so much work into it will defeat its purpose. 

Edited by GLERMZ
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, GLERMZ said:

What is OP about it? First i said the tile nerf is okay as long as the 3x3 actually works.

Second untill you get into the giant growth formulas you had to put work for it and in the end you have to think that this ingridients are competing with many other fillers that are waaaaaaay easier to gather.

I love the new Farminf but DST is still a game outside of it, if you end ul having to put so much work into it will defeat its purpose. 

LOL i wasnt saying to you... i quoted someone else

Edited by Ahad Ahmet Unal

37 minutes ago, GLERMZ said:

I think farming was perfect as the previous patch.

I could not agree.....more.

34 minutes ago, Ahad Ahmet Unal said:

isnt it too OP

In DST you can survive just fine without farming. It's not too OP,  i think it's necessary OP so Survivor WANT to farm, otherwise they just "meh" 1 meat 1 egg 2 cactus and 1 meat 3 ices will do just fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Psychomaniac said:

I could not agree.....more.

In DST you can survive just fine without farming. It's not too OP,  i think it's necessary OP so Survivor WANT to farm, otherwise they just "meh" 1 meat 1 egg 2 cactus and 1 meat 3 ices will do just fine.

nope. there is no enough cactus, even if there are enough i wouldnt use em cuz its not fun at all like collecting ice. i feel i am using some brain when i am farming, unlike these. and as an edition, making something broken that already is fun, makes it easy to get what you want and it bores people. But this sshould not be this hard (with this patch) then it becomes boring too.

Edited by Ahad Ahmet Unal
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ahad Ahmet Unal said:

there is no enough cactus

I mentioned cactus as 1 of many ways to fill your hunger, not the only food source. What i mean is there is always an easier way to get food, don't need to make farm so hard that it's become boring (like you said) like this patch does.

Why having all crops as giant is OP?! You know OCD is a thing right (if not Geometric Placement will not became one of the most subscribed mod)

I mean Klei can tweak whatever they want, just made a way for all giant farm so Survivor with OCD can live in peace.

Anyway, your game, your rule, if Klei don't approve, i'll just mod my way in. :D

Edited by Psychomaniac

Most of these changes are awesome, but tilling became a nightmare and I consider it a step in a wrong direction.

With this change in place it's super hard to utilize larger than one tile farms (mostly because of managing nutrient balance with crops that have to be placed on tile's edge). If it was your intention to only grow crops on one tile, then great, but if you want to encourage players to have 9 crops in tile and make tilling much easier please revert this change or perhaps consider similar mechanic that walls and fences have. I'd actually love to have all crops perfectly lined up and rarely have to correct mistakes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Psychomaniac said:

I mentioned cactus as 1 of many ways to fill your hunger, not the only food source.

Why having all crops as giant is OP?! You know OCD is a thing right (if not Geometric Placement will not became one of the most subscribed mod)

I mean Klei can tweak whatever they want, just made a way for all giant farm so Survivor with OCD can live in peace.

Anyway, your game, your rule, if Klei don't approve, i'll just mod my way in. :D

everything you sow is grow best, sounds OP to me and the only problem is not just being OP, it is being OP is boring.

• Potato Cup 1

44 minutes ago, Ahad Ahmet Unal said:

...sounds OP to me and .... OP is boring.

It's a P.O.V (Point of View) kinda thing, and we all have our P.O.V.

You said yours, and here is mine:

Life is not Perfect, so at least my game, my world, my farm has to be PERFECT in every way. or i will MADE it PERFECT By any means necessary. That's my P.O.V :D

Edited by Psychomaniac
  • Haha 1
  • Potato Cup 1

11 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

The overly-complicated new plot-farming system... got nerfed even further?!

I can't wait to see reactions in general populace after this whole update hits live servers :roll:

everybody who's heavily invested in DST already know or played the beta

the general populace died on the first winter and wouldn't know about farms either way

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

The overly-complicated new plot-farming system... got nerfed even further?!

I can't wait to see reactions in general populace after this whole update hits live servers :roll:

overcomplicate to plant the excess of seeds and abandon the farm?

im getting arround 60 + seeds by just plating all and watering them, the ground didnt even have nutrients at this point and they keep growing fine

such a complicate thing

Edit: f******ck i cant do 1dragon fruit+ 2 tomatoes anymore

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

so what are the exact changes to spawn the fruitflie lord now? it dont say it here so i hope its spawns only at rotin farm plants now and not at your heathy farm land because thats just too scary to get a random boss plops into your farm while your havesting it

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm starting to agree with the "previous patch did it better" thing. There are still a lot of combinations, but most of them require an ungodly amount of math to figure out (compared to the far more straight-forward, 1:1:1, 1:1 and 2:1 synergies we had before).

Toma Roots and Watermelons draining a small amount from 2 nutrients to provide a medium amount in another were the "heart" of the previous system, as they really helped bridge the gap between high consumption and mid consumption plants.

Also, ditto on the tilling. I'm not at all sad to see 4x4 tilling gone, but it's taken 3x3 tilling with it. By accident from the looks of it. You can easily do 3x3 tilling in single tile farms, but it's just about impossible (for us meatsacks) to do the same in a multi-tile farm.

That said, I very much appreciate that Durian now consumes Compost and is no longer in competition with Dragon Fruit.

Edited by QuartzBeam
typo
  • Like 12

I understand yall are wanting to get this update out ASAP, but please tweak the nutrients more. Old nutrients with the new 3x3 tile would be fine, the new change literally makes it a slog and just turns it into pre-update farming, just with 9 crops instead of 9 farming spots.

• Like 1