Wigfrid's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

JoeW

3 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

I'm kinda concerned about Wigfrid to be honest. Klei's track record with bards haven't been very, err, fortunate, to say the least.

My biggest interaction with a bard in games has been this one traveling bard in Skyrim that always, always seems to die because of weirdness. First time he became hostile for no reason, and after that he can't seem to not glitch somehow and die. Shame about that one. I like his traveling songs.

Knowing how gameplay usually goes for me in multiplayer DST? I'm certainly going to see Talsgar the Wanderer Wigfrid the Bardbarian die often as well. Already do, but now she'll also be reenacting something I encounter in Skyrim.

I kinda just hope this change makes Wigfrid less of a pick and swap character.. Because currently playing Wigfrid is pretty much-

Random Non-Wigfrid Player- “Heres some Gold, Stones and Flint, I can Haz a few Spears and Helms Please?, K Thanks Bye.” 

-Never See’s Wigfrid again.

So yeah I’m praying this is a drastic change to Wigfrid and an actual active Wigfrid player has to be around for others to benefit off her perks.

The same can’t be said for poor Winona.

16 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I kinda just hope this change makes Wigfrid less of a pick and swap character.. Because currently playing Wigfrid is pretty much-

Random Non-Wigfrid Player- “Heres some Gold, Stones and Flint, I can Haz a few Spears and Helms Please?, K Thanks Bye.” 

-Never See’s Wigfrid again.

So yeah I’m praying this is a drastic change to Wigfrid and an actual active Wigfrid player has to be around for others to benefit off her perks.

The same can’t be said for poor Winona.

By the time someone gets the resources for the Celestial Portal they'll probably have a efficient way to get armor for themselves.

This was never really a problem for Wigfrid being a "pick and swap" character before and it's silly to think that considering Wigfrid has abilities that you cant pass onto other characters such as natural defense, damage boost and her ability to get health and sanity from fighting. The only thing you can really get from Wigfrid is her helmets but again as I said you'll probably have an efficient way to get armor already by the time you get the Celestial Portal.

3 minutes ago, Hornete said:

By the time someone gets the resources for the Celestial Portal they'll probably have a efficient way to get armor for themselves.

I think the point is perks that other players can benefit from. Where most non-Wigfrid players probably see her as the early helmet/spear maker. "Battle gear plz kthxbye" then never care if she shows up again.

So not a solo player thing, but a multiplayer thing where they want her early stuff and then she can go away and the team doesn't need to care because they didn't lose anything. Unlike, say, Wicker or Wendy with their farming abilities or Wormwood with his free living logs and planting seeds without wasting tons of resources.

Though I do admit I did just that with Wormwood. Low on living logs, swap to plant boi, chop off his arm 25 times, and swap back. Sorry, Wormwood. Your limbs are just too convenient.

14 minutes ago, AlternateMew said:

I think the point is perks that other players can benefit from. Where most non-Wigfrid players probably see her as the early helmet/spear maker. "Battle gear plz kthxbye" then never care if she shows up again.

I dont understand why this is a bad thing.

20 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I dont understand why this is a bad thing.

The songs provide inspiration- helping players to excel better in combat.

Its basically like Abigails Petal Bestowment damage buff.. except- Wigfrid actually has to BE present this time, instead of like her current design of just crafting Helms and Spears then calling it a day.

Abigail actually has to be present and dealing damage to apply her buff- CURRENTLY Wigfrid doesn’t have to be present at all after making a few Spears and Helms.

And that’s exactly what I was hoping they would Address with her Rework.

An active Willow Player has to be in the game and around a Bernie doll while Low in Sanity to trigger his large protective shadow wrecker form... Tiny Bernie’s can still draw Aggro away but to get Bernie’s full power A Willow player has to actually be present.

It’s less “pick and swap” more- “Hey I have a unique perk that benefits an entire team that without me here... the team can’t benefit off of.”

43 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The songs provide inspiration- helping players to excel better in combat.

Its basically like Abigails Petal Bestowment damage buff.. except- Wigfrid actually has to BE present this time, instead of like her current design of just crafting Helms and Spears then calling it a day.

Abigail actually has to be present and dealing damage to apply her buff- CURRENTLY Wigfrid doesn’t have to be present at all after making a few Spears and Helms.

And that’s exactly what I was hoping they would Address with her Rework.

An active Willow Player has to be in the game and around a Bernie doll while Low in Sanity to trigger his large protective shadow wrecker form... Tiny Bernie’s can still draw Aggro away but to get Bernie’s full power A Willow player has to actually be present.

It’s less “pick and swap” more- “Hey I have a unique perk that benefits an entire team that without me here... the team can’t benefit off of.”

wigfrid was never "pick and swap". you are attempting to pass off your flawed opinion as a fact.

10 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Does this mean in Wolfgang's update, his might form will have a "boom-mic" attack where he can laugh loudly at his enemies?

I think Wolfgang will just become a famous crossfit youtube trainer, become richer than Pig King and travel the constant in his german luxury beefalo that has air conditioner and massaging seats.

6 hours ago, Well-met said:

wigfrid was never "pick and swap". you are attempting to pass off your flawed opinion as a fact.

... you missed my point entirely, the person playing Wigfrid may not swap away from her but the people who are NOT Wigfrid did NOT still need her around after she’s crafted them a few Helms & Battle Spears.

The new Inspiration feature however will ensure that those players still need that Wigfrid to stick around in order to get the full benefits of having Wigfrid in the server-

AND as I had shown examples with Wendy & Abigails flower, and Willow and Enraged Bernie... Without THAT Character still around in the Server those features are not still available to the rest of the server. No one but a Wendy can Summon Abigail and no one but a Willow can enlarge Bernie, Wigfrids new feature seems to be taking on a effectiveness that only works while Wigfrid is within Range... which would make her have that unique Abigail/Bernie like feature.

Its not about the person playing Wigfrid swamping her out, its about Non-Wigfrids getting full Wigfrid Benefits when Wigfrids not around... When Both Bernie & Abigail still require Willow/Wendy to still be in the server and within range of a Willow/Wendy to be Useful.

5 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

... you missed my point entirely, the person playing Wigfrid may not swap away from her but the people who are NOT Wigfrid did NOT still need her around after she’s crafted them a few Helms & Battle Spears.

The new Inspiration feature however will ensure that those players still need that Wigfrid to stick around in order to get the full benefits of having Wigfrid in the server-

AND as I had shown examples with Wendy & Abigails flower, and Willow and Enraged Bernie... Without THAT Character still around in the Server those features are not still available to the rest of the server. No one but a Wendy can Summon Abigail and no one but a Willow can enlarge Bernie, Wigfrids new feature seems to be taking on a effectiveness that only works while Wigfrid is within Range... which would make her have that unique Abigail/Bernie like feature.

Its not about the person playing Wigfrid swamping her out, its about Non-Wigfrids getting full Wigfrid Benefits when Wigfrids not around... When Both Bernie & Abigail still require Willow/Wendy to still be in the server and within range of a Willow/Wendy to be Useful.

I'm genuinely confused by this post I don't think there's anyone who hangs around willow for Bernie! or Wendy for her damage buff it's just not practical there maybe cases where people happen to benefit from it but I doubt anyone goes out of their way for it.

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Bernie and Abigail make combat easier but require the presence of Willow and Wendy. Due to her enhanced damage, resistance, and lifeleech, Wigfrid makes combat easier but requires the presence of Wigfrid.

You could say that Willow and Wendy are "pick and swap" characters like Wigfrid by saying that Willow can just make Bernies that don't go mighty and simply distract Shadows, or Wendy makes her little Sisturn and has people waste time AFKing next to it. But, just like with Wigfrid, you'd be looking at the character's weakest perks and judging them based on that for some reason.

Unless Willow's strongest perk really is the tiny Bernies, in which case disregard that part. I don't really play her so I'm not sure.

Yes! I've always classified her as a combat based support, I'm glad you went with that aswell and not just straight up combat (like Wolfgang for instance). I'm glad the headcanon that she's an excellent singer/opera performer is now canon too!

I am stoked for this!

When Wendy Soothes or Riles Abigail she has to stand completely still and go through an Animation of literally “Ghost Whispering” into Abigails flower.. this Animation leaves Wendy vulnerable to attack.

So if Wigfrid now has to sing while fighting that’s going to be an interesting thing to see, I can just picture Deerclops showing up and She goes into an almost Italian dramatic Musical

“Oh a Nooo, It is The Deerclops cometh to wreck Me! My Base she is in complete ruins”

Wheres that Mario enthusiast when you need him/her? They can probably do a much better impersonation then I can.

Anyway.. I wonder if the singing Animations will leave Wigfrid vulnerable to attack like Wendy’s Ghost Whispering?

I also wonder what the 3 new abilities Wigfrid gains and can use are (praying for a forward rush with her spear, and spear throwing)

Archived