Wigfrid's Character Refresh is Coming Next Week!

JoeW

3 minutes ago, The batting bat said:

seriously this refresh looks so random, how tf would terraria thorium bard powers fit with wigfrid?! she suddenly loves to sing?! it's like giving jason from friday the 13th a sax instead of a chainsaw to sing to his victims to death, why not make a musican character instead?! seriosly i really want a musican character

How is it random she has been established as a stage performer since the beginning. She's performing an opera.

5 minutes ago, The batting bat said:

seriously this refresh looks so random, how tf would terraria thorium bard powers fit with wigfrid?! she suddenly loves to sing?! it's like giving jason from friday the 13th a sax instead of a chainsaw to sing to his victims to death, why not make a musican character instead?! seriosly i really want a musican character

I'm pretty sure Wig's supposed to be an actress/singer since the series of plays she's based off of are operas, right? 

1 minute ago, The batting bat said:

Not really that random. Wigfrid's a stage performer and actor, I imagine she sung and acted in operas. She also has some quotes where she talks about how she could sing(albeit I could only find a few)

Not to mention she can also tell players what note a sea shell plays.

CHESSPIECE_BEARGER = "Twas a battle to sing of.",
GENERIC = "Oh sweet songbird, sing me thy tune!",
ONEMANBAND = "Sing with me! We are the guardians of Asgard!",
GENERIC = "Meat makes my heart sing!",

47 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Wigfrid_Coming_Soon.jpg

Though she may have left her old life far behind, Wigfrid still feels its echoes... and an irresistible desire to perform. Recently, she has begun honing this side of herself even further, using the power of performance to stir the hearts and minds of her audience whether it be by lifting their spirits, frightening them out of their wits, or giving them the courage to take on the world. For this venturesome Viking vocalist, all the world's a stage... and she will play her part well.

Wigfrid's character refresh arrives next week - Thursday September 24th (PDT).

Here are some of the details:

• When in combat Wigfrid now gains Inspiration, which, as it fills her meter, allows players to use the new craftable songs.
  • Fighting stronger foes will provide more Inspiration.
  • Disengaging combat will cause the inspiration to diminish.
  • Wigfrid has a new Stagecraft crafting tab from which she can make her new songs.
  • Singing adds a buff to all players in an area around Wigfrid, which remains active as long as she keeps her inspiration level up.
  • As Wigfrid's inspiration raises, she can perform up to three abilities at a time.
  • Some abilities have an instant effect, at the cost of reducing Wigfrid's inspiration

Of course as always, we will also have a new animated short and we'll add a new item to the Crystaline Collection streaming drops as well. See you next week!

This ought to be interesting!

I like that they listened to everyone in that wigfrids current state was perfectly fine, and they merely added onto it to make her more of a team player and move her away from just being "not wolfgang".

Before, you could only really compare her gear and stats to Wolfgang, now you have her songs, which you can't compare. The songs not only help other people, like Wolfgang, but also move her more towards support, like wortox, while still keeping everything that made her good.

39 minutes ago, The batting bat said:

she is dressed as an operatic valkyrie and mentions singing way often. this is no more a surprise than if her new skill-set was meat-based X'''D if you've played her or played pubs with her it is pretty obvious hahahah

It's all incredibly vague, so I can't make a solid opinion on the proposed changes. "We're making a new mechanic, that serves as a limiter for another mechanic, of which, has multiple perks that we're not giving any hints about."

Based on this incredibly vague information, I'm going to assume it's a repeat of Wendy's rework, of being mostly unchanged, and most players feel next to no reason to bother using the new stuff. You can use it, and you can get a benefit from them, but they're so niche in most scenarios, that it's questionable if it's worth your time.

What's concerning me right now is how strict or lax the, "Disengaging combat will cause the inspiration to diminish." bit is. Does kiting count as disengaging when compared to tanking? Is it purely based on time since you last hit a foe? Does chopping one of Toadstool's Sporecaps count as engaging, or disengaging?

Does the singing lock Wigfrid in place? Or can she attack during it? Imagine how vulnerable you are when crafting a new weapon mid fight, now imagine that type of thing, but to take advantage of Wigfrid's new perks. Not exactly welcome is it?

We have literally no clue how any of this is being implemented, LET ALONE what they do. I feel it's best to worry, and think of the worst case scenario, so that you can be pleasantly surprised when it turns out better than you expected.

Archived