Hey, Klei people! Are you still alive?

On 10/6/2020 at 10:39 AM, spkthed said:

Same ironically. That's a real can't win for them though. Endgame is pretty widely viewed as un-fun. No news for 6/12 months makes people think they're done with it which will also make people stop playing. Announcing it early means that there's no point in yet another end-game wait-fest which is necessary for some of the cooler inventions.

Could make early access for DLC an option, and public updates early and often, but those are business decisions weighed against the cost of doing business and against development of the game.

Le sigh.

I think this post is really well stated.

That being said, I've been playing Path of Exile a lot, some of the posts in their forums are...a tough read hahaha

10 hours ago, mathmanican said:

I'll stick to academic research into ONI principles, with write-ups that would make most mortals fall asleep. :) Then I'll smile a year to two later when bead and bypass pumps are all over the place, thanks to the glorious marketing team who propagates knowledge.

I know that feel, seeing my airlock in various videos is heartwarming, especially given it's entirely pointless to build. 

16 hours ago, Yunru said:

No, I don't. In fact, I've never even heard of him. 

I think he was an active user on this forum some time ago.

Anyway, I feel that's a problem. The ONI community is split. This forum, reddit, youtube, facebook are separated bubbles. I try and be active on all of them (facebook being the one I'm less active on). My goal is helping people, in particular promoting progress in the game, at all costs, almost.
In my early days I was stuck in a loop of restarting and focusing in getting everything right from the start, and wasn't 100% happy about it, the game looked a bit dull, repetitive and boring. Then I realized that it was all me. I was playing it that way. And I see this happening on a lot of people. People with 200+ hours of playing who never made it to space, never built a boiler of any kind, still figuring out the "best" way to grow mealwood, when, at least IMHO, the best way is to stop doing it ASAP.

I was there, and I want to help these people move out of that danger zone, where they may get bored at the game while actually playing only 10% of it. The fact that the game feels good from the start may be part of the problem, admittedly. Even now, I'd play the first 100 cycles over and over and find it entertaining enough. To the point that probably it'd be a good idea for Klei to release a free demo version limited to the first 100 cycles. But, I divert.

Now, part of my "job" is cross-referencing among platforms. 50% of the times, I comment on reddit with links to either posts on this forum or videos on YT. I think raising awareness of advanced gameplay is very important for the longevity of the game.

FYI, Francis John is very active on YT, and among the most popular ONI content creators. He creates also a small "Slashdot Effect" when he features something, the minibase mod being a perfect example.

Having a video of someone building a design in survival, with the right amount of explanation, is very handy. FJ usually includes a savefile to download, too. And since he often puts the original reference in the description and people can backtrack to more extensive and theoretical explanations, with text and pics and comments, it's all in one place. 

So 'as featured on Francis John', or 'watch FJ's video on the "rocket chimney"', or 'stone hatch ranching Francis John's style' has become quite a customary reference habit for many people, at least for me.

I love the fact that ideas can become popular through YouTubers.

Or on reddit.

I've considered starting my own YouTube channel

now, that would be great. But it's also time consuming.

4 hours ago, TheMule said:

Anyway, I feel that's a problem. The ONI community is split. This forum, reddit, youtube, facebook are separated bubbles. I try and be active on all of them (facebook being the one I'm less active on). My goal is helping people, in particular promoting progress in the game, at all costs, almost.

Klei probably does not mind either way very much, as long as they get good feedback and a feel for what people like, what works and what does not. But for the others, splitting communities and encapsulating the part they managed to grab in a bubble is part of their business model. For example, Facebook does not really want you to go anywhere else for information. 

3 hours ago, psusi said:

I would have thought that to make it out in 2020, the DLC should be going beta about now.  I mean we only have what?  9 more weeks?  I guess it's going to be a little late?

Well, you know, there are lies, damned lies and estimates how long some software will need to completion ;-)

If they start an open beta/early DLC access end of December, I shall be entirely satisfied.

4 hours ago, psusi said:

I would have thought that to make it out in 2020

For me it could be delayed to the december 2021, as long as devs would be sure the DLC will be amazing! And based on their work so far I have faith in them :)

@JoeW, thanks for the update :) Good to hear you guys are Still Alive, it's hard to overstate my satisfaction ;) Send our love to the team

Lets hope the Space Pet Shiwawa hasn`t stolen the developers chips :lol:

These Shiwawa`s are tricky,

they come to your desk with big dreamy eyes and snap...Another chip gone !!!

Caught on CCTV, a Space Shiwawa ( wears profession hat )

image.png.c49e56f19d7651f567278778f73c246e.png

Space Shiwawa`s eat chips or Regolith Salami ( produced from Salami Tree`s and Regolith )

image.png.b153d61d21b005d8f597fc3155aaca95.png

2 hours ago, Gurgel said:

Well, you know, there are lies, damned lies and estimates how long some software will need to completion ;-)

If they start an open beta/early DLC access end of December, I shall be entirely satisfied.

yes, Klei often announced a optimistic time, but always deleyed, On one hand we thought we were joked, but on the other hand, they were responsible for the games` quality 

6 hours ago, Emeal said:

I just wished your findings was somewhere, like on the Wiki

You are welcome to port the information over there. There is no place for discussion of ideas over there (not a simple, built-in, way). Whoever moved the two key threads on thermal conductivity ( @Yothiel and @wachunga ) over to the wiki did a great service (and they even left references for those who want more details).  Feel free to move things over that you think are valuable. 

Archived