Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

On 8/25/2022 at 8:40 PM, SomebodyRandom said:

My brother in christ, Wickerbottom rework released on August 4th. It's still August and you're expecting an update without any announcement from Klei nor a beta. The promise for monthly updates was only for 2020.

Actually each subsequent roadmap past the 2020 one has mentioned very specifically that they aim to have something for us to enjoy each month within the roadmap itself- and until Klei announces otherwise, I suspect that they will continue with this design as it has been proven by other games with monthly updates that it keeps interest within the game and keeps players engaged in coming back- the most noteable of those games I can think of off the top of my head is Sea of Thieves it aims to give players something new to look forward to each month. However- my complete lack of being able to remember dates has alas eluded me & I had forgotten that Wickerbottoms refresh actually Was the August content update.. But can you really blame Me? The Dont Starve franchise is my favorite game, so of course I'm gonna be hyped when new content is teased or announced for it!

Were literally in September when it comes to updates now & the Roadmap which is Subject to change at any given moment, (however they do state that if changes are made they’ll be sure to let us know) there’s still a good bit of content left in the Roadmap- 2 more QoLs, 2 more setting the stage content updates (1st was Moon Quay), 2 more character reworks.

All of Which is expected to (understandably) be completed by the end of Q1 2023 with the 2023 Roadmap reveal (assuming We even get a 2023 Roadmap..) JoeW has teased substantial updates after we get through the current roadmap, so I’m very excited to see where things go from there.

Nintendo Switch just got an update to use skins and characters in offline play, and They’re looking into doing this for other platforms- that Alone is a huge win in my books. :love_heart:

27 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually each subsequent roadmap past the 2020 one has mentioned very specifically that they aim to have something for us to enjoy each month within the roadmap itself- and until Klei announces otherwise, I suspect that they will continue with this design as it has been proven by other games with monthly updates that it keeps interest within the game and keeps players engaged in coming back- the most noteable of those games I can think of off the top of my head is Sea of Thieves it aims to give players something new to look forward to each month. However- my complete lack of being able to remember dates has alas eluded me & I had forgotten that Wickerbottoms refresh actually Was the August content update.. But can you really blame Me? The Dont Starve franchise is my favorite game, so of course I'm gonna be hyped when new content is teased or announced for it!

Were literally in September when it comes to updates now & the Roadmap which is Subject to change at any given moment, (however they do state that if changes are made they’ll be sure to let us know) there’s still a good bit of content left in the Roadmap- 2 more QoLs, 2 more setting the stage content updates (1st was Moon Quay), 2 more character reworks.

All of Which is expected to (understandably) be completed by the end of Q1 2023 with the 2023 Roadmap reveal (assuming We even get a 2023 Roadmap..) JoeW has teased substantial updates after we get through the current roadmap, so I’m very excited to see where things go from there.

Nintendo Switch just got an update to use skins and characters in offline play, and They’re looking into doing this for other platforms- that Alone is a huge win in my books. :love_heart:

if you keep longing for updates you'll never be able to enjoy the game for what it is in the present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 9

On 8/27/2022 at 10:35 PM, YouKnowWho said:

Has anybody ever seen this biome before?

On 8/28/2022 at 2:40 AM, HowlVoid said:

Maybe it is a biome though

This is indeed a biome, optional one. I frequently use "force biomes" mod to force this one, and area with tight cluster of bananas, no guano turf, few monkey spawners and some ponds corresponds to "cave jungle" biome, but I don't know biome's name in the code.

@x0-VERSUS-1y, your picture shows monkey village, it's not the same biome. You can see that there are much more monkeys, not a single pond, and banana trees are of relatively low density. Since there is no guano turf as well, my conclusion is it's optional monkey village (there are 4 different monkey biomes, 3 of which are optional, this one and original image correspond to different optional monkey biomes).

Edited by Pig Princess
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Pig Princess said:

This is indeed a biome, optional one. I frequently use "force biomes" mod to force this one, and area with tight cluster of bananas, no guano turf, few monkey spawners and some ponds corresponds to "cave jungle" biome, but I don't know biome's name in the code.

@x0-VERSUS-1y, your picture shows monkey village, it's not the same biome. You can see that there are much more monkeys, not a single pond, and banana trees are of relatively low density. Since there is no guano turf as well, my conclusion is it's optional monkey village (there are 4 different monkey biomes, 3 of which are optional, this one and original image correspond to different optional monkey biomes).

Idea with my prtscr was that WorldGen can be.. wonky. Exemplified Monkey spawner density from my encounter (was some random Survival pub many irl moons ago) is something quite rare and by no means a normal Monkey Village. In fact, via my way-to-many DST pub hours with Ruins rushes, was the only time I for one encountered such "simian denseness". Numerous banana trees at entrance to Ruins, in Lichen fields, although pretty rare, is something I stumbled upon quite often (by contrast). Don't know how WorldGen functions, how it generates these "biomes" (I remember @ADM gave an explanation at some point in past, but can't find it anymore - and sadly phased out of my mind), still I tend to think these are quirks and not intended biomes - namely number of entities gets "glitched into High Heavens" for some reason.

10 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

I remember @ADM gave an explanation at some point in past

If it was in some post, then it was probably archived which is why search doesn't see it.

10 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Idea with my prtscr was that WorldGen can be.. wonky.

I misunderstood the idea of post, sorry. But yes, it's indeed very dense village; don't quote me on it, but desity of spawned entities seems to be random within some interval, or rather number of spawners and biome's size are random in some interval corresponding to particular world setting, which means sometimes there will be unusual worlds (when one rolled a lot of entities and little biome size). At least that is my guess based from in-game experience.

Edited by Pig Princess

On 8/29/2022 at 8:43 PM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

发生:

2C87B7790766212A282EAC267F74FFD9112EDB40

(a most "Wish you were here!"" postcard - during apex Nightmare phase)

This area is called "Vacant" in the code.Obviously, its actual number of generated does not match the name.It's so dense..It's a shame that this is actually quite normal, just because most of the time it's squeezed so small that it doesn't show up fully.It is only used by Residential biomes.This image should be the Residential3.it is the most used of this area.So it's dangerous,and the background _room("BGWilds") is often not generated due to the large number(The area on the right with few entities).

773245495_3.png.30c46e817b5707df36cf541df6f835ed.png570462438_3.thumb.png.5ce7a3dcd2e58be248ea7d3c20eaada5.png

Residential3 without BGroom generated:

10441311_.thumb.png.d783d69d59456f9ce5b489acdcd8e324.png555331519_2.thumb.png.e0983e23b001f870cf61ef63c5dac0c4.png

In fact, the number of its spawns in DS is still very small.In fact. But after porting to DST the parameters that determine the generation density were tuned up by more than 4 times(0.12→0.5).It became the highest density of all ruins rooms.

307297852_.thumb.png.8d8f87e3833e0b121945cf184a43b350.png507714544_.thumb.png.9ea58977f97fc4203c1abdf6dde81ad0.png

2122905089_QQ20220517183910.thumb.png.ad6da48c519b12690a63c88ed48bfe88.png

Residential biome for DS,Most places are mazes.

The other two residential biomes are not very noticeable because they are less "Vacant".Residential biome(left), in particular, need to connect to the following biomes, resulting in more compression.

1128531303_QQ20220518003054.png.efdf9b88c4139d33e2c7c020c4c57e17.png1844211159_.thumb.png.d48b9400f2ea2721f1df04ec4b9b59ba.png

If you spawn them individually, unaffected by any surrounding biomes, you'll find them pretty much the same as Residential3.

1122666150_QQ20190307230231.thumb.png.c92cd5dbfcbdbc8daefb9ce754bf1331.png2093615382_QQ20190307234525.thumb.png.9067bebeb5ca738a0f8e134891a75247.png318609892_1.thumb.png.0c69a74909e81da6feb462f871bc85f7.png322915051_2.thumb.png.fd2f9506ad065d55b3e140c92796c425.png

I moved them to the overworld so you can see there is a forest, please ignore it.

Edited by Mr.Oshiro
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1

19 hours ago, BezKa said:

Iirc you can give tokens to midsummer stuff to link them in some way? I never got it to work, and I want to know if it is even a thing

You can place cannons (Midsummer cannons, duh) next to each other and give them tokens to make them shoot in order. (Cannons only, though.)

8 hours ago, Nino123 said:

Hi, any way to craft tomstones ? Could be really cool...

Sadly not at the moment. They got skin code recently, so maybe in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spino43 said:

What is a good way to farm gold in a Lights Out world?

I’ve been wondering the same thing. So far it seems to be either pushing earthquakes as Wickerbottom (light redux book) or ironically, The Merm King.

Wurt’s king proves extra useful since it is also the easiest way to keep getting seeds, so you can keep up a farm provided you keep making star callers and lighting the farms with dwarf stars.

Wurt and Wicker seem to be very good for lights out specifically (specially together).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I’ve been wondering the same thing. So far it seems to be either pushing earthquakes as Wickerbottom (light redux book)

You can also cause earthquakes as any character with explosives (e.g. burning snurtles or their slime), telelocator staves, Toadstool, and probably some more I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I’ve been wondering the same thing. So far it seems to be either pushing earthquakes as Wickerbottom (light redux book) or ironically, The Merm King.

Wurt’s king proves extra useful since it is also the easiest way to keep getting seeds, so you can keep up a farm provided you keep making star callers and lighting the farms with dwarf stars.

Wurt and Wicker seem to be very good for lights out specifically (specially together).

The redux book causing earthquake is an interesting choice, gonna test it out, thank you^^

• GL Happy 1

Anyone know if there will be an update or at the very least news of an update today? It’s Thursday updates or announcements for updates usually come on a Thursday, Speaking of updates.. if any of you play Multiversus Gizmo from the Gremlins movie arrived in an update today. I’m an Xbox DST player so even if there was to be an update today it would likely be in beta first then I’d get to play it a week or so later after beta concludes.

31 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Anyone know if there will be an update or at the very least news of an update today? It’s Thursday updates or announcements for updates usually come on a Thursday, Speaking of updates.. if any of you play Multiversus Gizmo from the Gremlins movie arrived in an update today. I’m an Xbox DST player so even if there was to be an update today it would likely be in beta first then I’d get to play it a week or so later after beta concludes.

Yeah, Klei said we will get some news on the update soon when Wickerbottom refresh came out..

Its been a long time since then. Devs release so much bug and art fix updates for some reason, I wonder what then they will do in QoL updates

Idk if there's anything that's useful for Klaus as wicker other then light and maybe sleep bock as tentacles may enrage and will be frozen easily, pan flute outclasses sleepytime stories.  End is nigh is obviously useless. Unless you can make an way so the deers don't be killed by the tentacles you might as well be Wolfgang or any other character other then wes and wormwood for Klaus.

7 hours ago, themightyone said:

Is the 9x9 Grass wall structure with about 20 tentacles the best Wickerbottom strategy for Bee Queen ? 

I did it but took a while and she almost killed all the tentacles too.

What's a good Wicker strategy for Klaus also ?

For Klaus you may be to make it so tentacles don't hit deer. Other then that only the book light and sleepytime stories are useful

14 hours ago, themightyone said:

Is the 9x9 Grass wall structure with about 20 tentacles the best Wickerbottom strategy for Bee Queen ? 

I did it but took a while and she almost killed all the tentacles too.

9x9 is more than you need. Having too many blockers around you will inhibit tentacle spawning. Dropped items also block tentacles so make sure ur area is clear of seeds and other junk. I do 8x8 with a checkerboard pattern on the inside. Like this: 

D3847E37-5F2A-4AD1-A2CC-0E1AD1D4E2DB.png.2bf8f9a570954ebe47cc59e61f98ab34.png

it also allows for a 2x2 spot in the exact center where u will always be safe. Its nice if u use a different wall skin for these 4 so u can easily see the safe spot. 

when it comes to # of tentacles i cant say ive ever counted them but 20 sounds very little, i count by # of reads. Ive had success with 25 reads but 30 or more is better. 

14 hours ago, themightyone said:

What's a good Wicker strategy for Klaus also ? 

If you block all the klaus spawners but 1 u can setup a tentacle trap there. When u spawn klaus u’ll have to sleep it and block the deer (with fossils) and let klaus alone enter the trap. It is very tricky to do and im not sure if its worth it :lol: when he starts lunging its possible for him to move too far away from the deer and become enraged lol

perhaps blocking the deer and using the grumble bees on klaus alone might actually work.. since the deer wont be able to cast if ur a certain distance away from them. The trick is to find the sweet spot where they cant cast but klaus doesnt become enraged because hes too far away from them. 

Spoiler

So i tested this and it works perfectly. Just takes a lot of sanity food and bee books. 

Sleep klaus, block deer, then keep klaus slept as you summon bees away from him. then let him come to u away from the deer and the bees shred him. 

i got my beef killed towards the very end because i was too lazy to pause the fight to heal since this was just in a test world :lol: but thats beside the point.

1148177918_Schermafbeelding2022-09-09om12_36_31.thumb.png.bc3e93ff435f28ba1147f75ad5a5e849.png

321429131_Schermafbeelding2022-09-09om12_36_47.thumb.png.829dcc7bc4f244ecfa1e1c4e447cb2eb.png

Other than that i always use STS over panflute against klaus cuz u have so much time to cast it.

Tempering temperatures is good for resetting ur temp after u get hit with one of the spells. When playing with other players (or followers) u can also use it to unfreeze them if they get trapped. 

Edited by Ohan
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ohan said:

9x9 is more than you need. Having too many blockers around you will inhibit tentacle spawning. Dropped items also block tentacles so make sure ur area is clear of seeds and other junk. I do 8x8 with a checkerboard pattern on the inside. Like this: 

D3847E37-5F2A-4AD1-A2CC-0E1AD1D4E2DB.png.2bf8f9a570954ebe47cc59e61f98ab34.png

it also allows for a 2x2 spot in the exact center where u will always be safe. Its nice if u use a different wall skin for these 4 so u can easily see the safe spot. 

when it comes to # of tentacles i cant say ive ever counted them but 20 sounds very little, i count by # of reads. Ive had success with 25 reads but 30 or more is better. 

If you block all the klaus spawners but 1 u can setup a tentacle trap there. When u spawn klaus u’ll have to sleep it and block the deer (with fossils) and let klaus alone enter the trap. It is very tricky to do and im not sure if its worth it :lol: when he starts lunging its possible for him to move too far away from the deer and become enraged lol

perhaps blocking the deer and using the grumble bees on klaus alone might actually work.. since the deer wont be able to cast if ur a certain distance away from them. The trick is to find the sweet spot where they cant cast but klaus doesnt become enraged because hes too far away from them. 

Hide contents

So i tested this and it works perfectly. Just takes a lot of sanity food and bee books. 

Sleep klaus, block deer, then keep klaus slept as you summon bees away from him. then let him come to u away from the deer and the bees shred him. 

i got my beef killed towards the very end because i was too lazy to pause the fight to heal since this was just in a test world :lol: but thats beside the point.

1148177918_Schermafbeelding2022-09-09om12_36_31.thumb.png.bc3e93ff435f28ba1147f75ad5a5e849.png

321429131_Schermafbeelding2022-09-09om12_36_47.thumb.png.829dcc7bc4f244ecfa1e1c4e447cb2eb.png

Other than that i always use STS over panflute against klaus cuz u have so much time to cast it.

Tempering temperatures is good for resetting ur temp after u get hit with one of the spells. When playing with other players (or followers) u can also use it to unfreeze them if they get trapped. 

Thank you ! I will try that Klaus strat. 

I want to read more tentacle spells but the sanity penalty is like 52 per read and nightmares spawn fast . Does bee Queen helm reverse this ? Otherwise you need like 50 mushrooms/ Jerky to counteract. I brought about 25 sanity buffs to get thru the fight but could have used more even. I feel like 40 would be a little more fair for a sanity penalty. 

2 hours ago, themightyone said:

I want to read more tentacle spells but the sanity penalty is like 52 per read and nightmares spawn fast . Does bee Queen helm reverse this ? Otherwise you need like 50 mushrooms/ Jerky to counteract. I brought about 25 sanity buffs to get thru the fight but could have used more even. I feel like 40 would be a little more fair for a sanity penalty. 

No BQ crown will not reverse the sanity cost of books. The BQ crown inverts insanity auras. If u have a really dense tentacle trap u can put the crown on and sit in the middle of ur trap for a pretty decent sanity station. All the stacked insanity auras of the tentacles turn into sanity gain. 

Yes the initial setup is pretty costly. The book takes 50 sanity for each read, times 25 thats 1250 sanity :lol:.

In the screenshot i shared i didnt use any sanity food and just fought the nightmares every 1-2 reads and picked flowers afterwards, thats why the ground is covered in nightmare fuel lol. It takes a while this way but its do-able. 

If ur not comfortable constantly fighting nightmares you can also do it in batches, like pick and cook some cactus, read however many times u have sanity food for and then put the books back in the bookcase for them to recharge until the cacti have regrown and repeat the whole thing until the trap is dense enough. 

It takes some work but once u have a trap that is sufficiently dense enough to the point where BQ cant kill any of them (or very few at least) it will last you for many BQ kills until u have to replenish some tentacles. 

In my current world i made my second trap at DFLY much later, after i started farming on a large scale so i just used like 40 salsa fresca out of a bundle to set the trap up in one go. 

There r different ways to go about it!