Oxygen Not Included DLC Roadmap July 2020

I never initially thought I'd say this, but i really hope that because of the multitudes of asteroids, they are individually small. Today, even 1/4th asteroid is neither a challenge in terms of materials nor building space use ingenuity. I can't think of a single round of ONI where i used more than (at most!) a third of the materials, leaving me with thousands of tons of materials in pretty much every category. Please tighten the resources and space, or if all the community is balking, an option. The game speed increase is also a big plus as mods like Tiny Worlds and Minibase demonstrate.

It is is amazing how much smaller asteroids and fewer resources does to the creativity and reward systems... Please take it to the next level, PLEASE! :)

7 hours ago, nets said:

I never initially thought I'd say this, but i really hope that because of the multitudes of asteroids, they are individually small. Today, even 1/4th asteroid is neither a challenge in terms of materials nor game performance. Today there is no challenge in material scarcity nor building space (and thus design ingenuity/originality). I can't think of a single round of ONI where i used about (at most!) a third of the materials, the rest had to be melted or otherwise discarded to keep the challenge up and performance on 30 FPS+. Please tighten the resources and space, or if all the community is balking, an option.

It is is amazing how much smaller asteroids and fewer resources does to the creativity and reward systems... Please take it to the next level, PLEASE! :)

But the current map is already small. I would love to see it even bigger. Performance issues? Still didn not have much of them any on my i7 8th gen with colonies over 1000 cycles old. So cpu upgrade was a good option I guess.

On 7/3/2020 at 8:54 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

As we get closer to the big moment, we'll be sure to give you more updates

Cannot sleep, I really wish for time travel in these moments so I can play it already xD. Since I heard it, vanilla is not fulfilling anymore hahahaha

There are actually too many resources on current maps, even if you do not use shady mechanics like petroleum boiler or sour gas boiler etc. Now almost all production is positive in terms of resources/heat deletion/energy. With space access, resources are simply nowhere to go. They should make game harder or option for it.

On 7/11/2020 at 9:36 AM, MarcinW said:

But the current map is already small. I would love to see it even bigger. Performance issues? Still didn not have much of them any on my i7 8th gen with colonies over 1000 cycles old. So cpu upgrade was a good option I guess.

It's anything but small. And why would you want it bigger, care to explain? Not enough space to build? Need 4 steam vents? Your 80 dupes used all the granite and sand on the map and your colony is failing?

On 7/11/2020 at 1:57 AM, nets said:

I never initially thought I'd say this, but i really hope that because of the multitudes of asteroids, they are individually small. Today, even 1/4th asteroid is neither a challenge in terms of materials nor building space use ingenuity. I can't think of a single round of ONI where i used more than (at most!) a third of the materials, leaving me with thousands of tons of materials in pretty much every category. Please tighten the resources and space, or if all the community is balking, an option. The game speed increase is also a big plus as mods like Tiny Worlds and Minibase demonstrate.

Agree, Don't Starve lets you customise worlds for example, including their size. It would kinda make sense with the DLC. A smaller core asteroid can motivate to explore other worlds.

Guest aresd
56 minutes ago, JesusOnEez said:

I medically need this DLC. I have an addiction that can only be satiated with more content. Given that, dearest @Ipsquiggle, may I please have earlier access to any developer/alpha/beta editions of the DLC way earlier than anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

:D

Now you will get the DLC later than all))

I have seen a few times in this thread, "how can my computer possibly run 6 colonies, when I get 20 FPS with one colony?"

Reinforcing @Gurgel's response to this question, above. Actually this will be a much easier problem to solve for optimization. Easy to run multiple separate simulations in many contexts, very challenging to run one large simulation in many contexts.

I'll be interested to see if asteroids are single biomes or a patchwork of many.  I'm hoping for the former as that will make the decision on where to allocate resources an important one.  Do I send my first rocket to the slime asteroid to procure dusk caps and pacu eggs for food production?  Or do I send it to the caustic asteroid to wrangle up some dreckos for reed fiber and plastic production?

14 hours ago, avc15 said:

I have seen a few times in this thread, "how can my computer possibly run 6 colonies, when I get 20 FPS with one colony?"

Reinforcing @Gurgel's response to this question, above. Actually this will be a much easier problem to solve for optimization. Easy to run multiple separate simulations in many contexts, very challenging to run one large simulation in many contexts.

I think there will be more loading screens, can't think of any other way atm.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:37 AM, Smife said:

I think there will be more loading screens, can't think of any other way atm.

Not necessarily. Loading/saving is also something that can be parallelized a lot more easily with multiple colonies.  Sure, you still have some shared bottlenecks, like memory I/O, but with a bit of careful coding, these should be mostly neutralized by buffers and caches. 

On 7/14/2020 at 9:31 AM, Smife said:

Agree, Don't Starve lets you customise worlds for example, including their size. It would kinda make sense with the DLC. A smaller core asteroid can motivate to explore other worlds.

They dont have to be smaller, but with lack of resources, which you bring from space. E.g. imagine that your colony is dependent on ice hauler arrival to bring water for your food production :)

I just realized how neat it would've been to be able to upgrade some of our existing buildings to their more efficient variants with tons of science and maybe blueprints from space. Just imagine Oil Refinery being able to work as efficient as Petroleum Boiler, but without the need to actually build one.

On 7/17/2020 at 2:52 AM, SelenSewar said:

I just realized how neat it would've been to be able to upgrade some of our existing buildings to their more efficient variants with tons of science and maybe blueprints from space. Just imagine Oil Refinery being able to work as efficient as Petroleum Boiler, but without the need to actually build one.

No thanks, that would be kinda boring. I'd rather they make the Oil Refinery produce more byproducts (sulfur and bitumen, maybe a precursor to isoresin too?) so that input and output masses are equal, and then give us lategame ways to make those byproducts useful. I'm in general not a fan of how ONI stuff currently tends to go from stupid buildings that delete mass but work relatively fine to crazy lossless tile setups with no real in-between.

20 minutes ago, MarcinW said:

Any chances that this DLC will be released in August ?

They say the plan is to release the DLC this year. We have 5 months left, so I'd say it is around 20% chance we will see the DLC by the end August.

And if we take into account that last Automation pack spent nearly month in beta stage, when KLEI polished it based on community feedback, I fear that the final release of the DLC is nearly impossible to happen in August, even if we see first beta gameplays during that month

Good point... but if they would plan it in August then, They would say it will be released this summer (so they have still most of September for backup)... so more possible is that the DLC will be September+ :(

2 minutes ago, MarcinW said:

possible is that the DLC will be September+

yes, much more possible.

Anyway, as for me the DLC may be released even in 2021 as long as it is good. I prefer having late good content than rushed and bad one ;)

I... am not sure I'd want to fly to space in a rocket powered by duct taped bottles.

But what I am sure of is that I'll be buying this before it's even ready to buy. Even tho my PC can't handle ONI currently I'll keep it for better times :D Love the game and the update sounds amazing! Only shame for me I never really got to experience the current space cause by the time I got to rockets game was too slow, lol. One day!

Archived