Return of Them Beta: She Sells Sea Shells

So is there anything of substance or is it just more time wasters, like every other update?

Anything affect the core game or challenge at all?

edit: Ah, I see, another optional non threatening boss that provides trash drops and only serves as another tick on the "Im bored because theres no actual deep content, so time to fight some pointless boss" checklist.

Wisely done Klei, im sure people won't get bored of this like every other update thats done this.

Edited by Ogrecakes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 11
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Dragonboooorn said:

Skins starting to blinking or something like that for a second in menu and in choosing screen. Is that normal?

Guess it is a new feature to prevent lag. Previously the game lagged until the skin got loaded.

• Like 2

His Boss Fight requires most likely a team, he has extremely large health pool and will try to regenerate hp, heres my small noting and screenshots of his boss fight. He has phases, most likely two, atleast that's how many i've noticed during the encounter. This fight requires a constanly moving boat, the circle of boats around him will not work for boards will appear after one boat gets destroyed and block the space for replacement boat, mining sea stacks would also help to prepare somewhat of the "arena" for the fight. On phase 2 crab king spawns around 6 claws in which one or two will grab the boat if the boat comes in contact with them proceeding to damage the boat unless taken care of, they drop souls and one meat. During second phase and after Crab King will start to grab shattered building shaped stones and try to restore his damaged shell (hp), his shell will shatter piece by piece while being damaged, player can prevent the healing by attacking him which will cause the stones to crush. Killing all claws does not mean they will not appear later on, Crab King can still spawn them. Also something worth noting, upon death Crab King will spawn waves in every direction. The depth shockwave he uses in order to damage/sink boat is most destructive of every ability in his kit, take it as the biggest threat during the fight to avoid aswell as remember about him being able to heal, im not sure if the shockwave follows or stays in same place, but it can only focus one boat at a time. This boss requires a hit & run type of attack pattern, damage him for abit before he starts to cast his shockwave, move away and return to attacking him. The claws die within two hits from normal attack character with spiced voltgoat jelly. That's all i've managed to get out of his boss fight. If you socket gems after killing the king they will be dropped back into the surface of the ocean, so they wont get destroyed if you decide to go with gems. One of the main drops of his is the Trident Strident blueprint.

Edit : Feel free to add more information about the boss fight that you discovered or i have missed.

cb1.png

cb2.png

cb3.png

cb4.png

cb5.png

cb7.png

Edited by bruhmoment23
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 4

• Developer
6 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Guess it is a new feature to prevent lag. Previously the game lagged until the skin got loaded.

Yup, it's a side effect of the texture streaming. There's some popping as they get loaded.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

Hmm, if Klei added a skin changer, could that mean that they will add skins for e.g. Tam-O-Shanter or Bone Armor?unknown.png?width=928&height=677

Well this item giving HUGE QoL and outlook for future skins. For me the biggest and the best item in whole RoT or even in DST! But I waited for it since they released first skins.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

I love the new search feature in the skin menu!

Can you “Lock” skins so you don’t ever Accidentally unravel something you wanted to keep? I am not ashamed to say I’ve had that happen to me 2 or 3 times before. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jason said:

shesells_promo_1920x1080.png

You are invited to the beta branch to check out the newest content update Return of Them: She Sells Sea Shells.

An Island fragment of the moon has left a lonely creature stranded. Is it friendly? Time will tell..

New Features

• Messages in bottles.
  • Moon fragment Island.
  • The Crabby Hermit.
  • The Crab King.
  • New Seasonal Fish.
  • Wobster and Wobster Den
  • New Winch Boat structure.
  • Sunken Treasures.
  • Singing shells. 

For directions to join the beta branch check out the directions here.

Update #404747 Patch Notes:
Changes:

• The Crabby Hermit and Crab King are retrofitted into existing world.
  • The player can now board boats while mounted.
  • The player can now board boats while lifting a heavy object.
  • The distance you can jump to embark and disembark has been adjusted and is now based on how fast your character is moving.
  • Irreplaceable inventory items no longer slip out of your inventory when drowning in the ocean
  • Creatures that follow you onto a boat will now wash ashore (instead of die) when the boats sinks
  • Changed the ingredients required to craft the Tackle Receptacle.
  • Boat Patch also repairs boat damage
  • New texture streaming system, loads game textures as needed, reducing memory usage. 

Bug Fixes:

• Fixed a bug where the player’s attacks would sometimes miss giants as they moved toward the player.
  • Fixed a bug where projectiles (eg Blow Darts) would sometimes not deal damage.
  • Insulation will now protect the player from the cooling effects of Deerclops attacks and fans. 
  • Pipspooks no longer block placement of structures
  • Fixed the coastal ocean rendering on the minimap in caves 
  • Fixed the mast’s animation after being hit by a hammer.

View full update

any idea when it might hit consoles?

1 hour ago, nightmarefan said:

my day was getting worser and worser but klei,like Always, made smile. thanks klei

They also released a new short for Griftlands to my happiness. Any animation from them cheers me up.

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

grafik.thumb.png.cbbc0fb5385922b68981358a93c50a66.pngThat feature looks bit new and undocumented...

"sea"?

I wonder how many people are going to ship the hermit with Curio Collector?:wilson_ecstatic:

I'll try this new beta sometime this week, thanks Klei.:wilson_flower:

• Like 3

The purple like spheres near hermits island can be obtained by the boat claw ( pinchin winch ) by placing the boat above it then placing the claw right in the same spot where the sphere is, theyre shell clusters that can be carried and mined with pickaxe, you'll be able to jump over boats while carrying it.

Small thing worth noting, there's now a small animation of the character you play as jumping when moving from one boat to another.

j1.png

Edited by bruhmoment23
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1