Do you consider yourself as an experienced player?

I would say that I consider myself as an experienced player, I don't ever use the console, or rollbacks, I am good at kiting most enemies, I know most crockpot recipes, I know how to kill bosses, shadow creatures, I can rush the ruins, and I can survive for a very long time without dying, I know how to react fast in nearly every dangerous situation, and in my latest world, I was Wilson, for the first time (in DST) and I never once died in 286 days. And I wasn't just camping above all the time I promise, for my last stand I made my way through the ruins killed the ancient guardian and then gave up, it was time to reset the world. Plus, I feel like my friends really dragged me down. One of them had to leave and had most of the medical supplies, and the other one isn't even experienced in combat, or in the ruins, and they perished pretty fast.. but I did it, I killed the ancient guardian and survived 286 days without dying a single time. Until I got lost in the maze..alone because I was the last survivor as always..So, what about you? 

I'd call myself a supportive/side character when it comes to DST, I'll usually be collecting resources in abundance, and helping out however needed. One of the things I like to focus on when assisting a base is providing secondary food sources, like drying racks or bee boxes. (And Wormwood crops, if I'm playing him.)

In my 4,406 total hours in DST I tend to avoid fighting Toadstool, Fuelweaver, and normally don't head down to the ruins, but will if asked to accompany. I'm very casual, and embarrassing deaths still happen. It's fun meeting new people, though. :wilson_love:

I would say that I am experience but not at the point that I'm very good not sure how to word it I do use rollbacks if a boss kills me or to test to see if I can kill a boss with the gear I have or prepare more using rollback have not fought fuelweaver,bee queen,or toadstool because I know they give you alot of great stuff and all but to me I dont feel like it is worth it and I probably would not use it bone armor for sure sorry for going off topic btw xc 

Call me too much of a pessimist but I feel like no matter how "skilled" I get at a game it feels like I can't ever truely call myself "experienced" or "a veteran" or "a pro".

Yes I can survive for hundreds on end(have done so on both vanilla and mod worlds), I've solo'd most bosses in this game with dragonfly being a personal favorite to solo rush.

I know alot of the crockpot recipes, mainly the important ones for long term, and know how to handle hounds day 100+

Yet despite all of this, my brain still refuses to admit that I'm ever good at this game. It still tells me I could improve and improve and not be "so bad".

But yeah... that's my pessimism for you. :s

Experienced enough to survive all 4 Seasons with very little issue, but defiantly not an expert by any means.. I’ve never seen Malbatross or FuelWeaver, I’ve never built a chair.. yeah.. a chair.

& I still haven’t killed Firefly or Ancient Guardian.. I also never even unlocked Wes in DS Solo. There’s a lot I Haven’t done in DST. It could also be because I dislike long lasting worlds in DST and enjoy always starting new ones after about day 300.

image.png.4aee21f884c8dff455dfbf7814d96aa6.png

image.png.5994a130b43123bfe393791a4d53673b.png

I start playing and fall in love with Don`t starve since 2014 year, when RoG was released. Today I have 2391 hours in DST and 221 in DS. ( In DS  im playing Hamlet/Shipwrecked only. ) I know all about DS and DST world, and lore as well, solo Killed  every boss that exist. Played all events Beta`s. Maxwell main. So I consider myself as genuine experienced player.

I only really play on a specific server with a large group, so its not hard to survive or 1000 days or so. But in these worlds I usually only spend my time fishing and sailing around the world while everyone else does their own thing. But i do join in boss fights

I would say that I'm right in between an experienced player and a newer one. With about 1k hours put into the game food and seasons aren't really a challenge to me anymore, and I can solo most bosses as Wolfgang who I main (dragonfly, bee queen, clops, bearger, etc.). The thing that makes me say I'm not "experienced" is that every time I load up a world I can instantly see things that could have been done more efficiently, and of course, I always make tons of mistakes. In the end, I think that only a small portion of the player base are truly experts, and that's one of my main draws to this game. You ALWAYS want to come back for more.

I created a lot of personal guides on the notepad app on Windows, and I save them to a DST folder for anytime I need something to remember when playing a game. Would you believe that after all that hassle, I'm still average? Hasn't done me a darn thing in making those guides (save for convenience of looking stuff up on the wiki); it feels like a waste that I spent two days fully recreating the crock pot food list complete with stat boosts, recipes ingredients, cook time, and even spoilage time, only for it to not be useful at all. Not to mention there are bosses I've never fought, nor have ever been able to, structures I've never built, events and food dishes I've never tried out, and characters I've never touched. I have never made it past day 180 in DST for these reasons, and summer still gives me lots of trouble. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Dark said:

I would say that I consider myself as an experienced player, I don't ever use the console, or rollbacks, I am good at kiting most enemies, I know most crockpot recipes, I know how to kill bosses, shadow creatures, I can rush the ruins, and I can survive for a very long time without dying, I know how to react fast in nearly every dangerous situation, and in my latest world, I was Wilson, for the first time (in DST) and I never once died in 286 days. [...]

Kiting mobs, using the Crockpot, killing seasonal bosses, surviving: An average player should be able to master these skills.

And according to your skills, you are lacking skills like "playing DST with other players".

im playing this game since ds beta so in terms of knowing the game, the recipes, the behavoir of most of the mods, how works every item, kitting multiple mobs, fighting most of the bosses, etc im expecienced but not a pro or even skilled. I make a lot of mistake, loosing time, going in not worth troubles, etc. I can kill everyboss less fw (i have a lot of troubles with him, only killed with wolfgang and suffering) so for me there is a lot of improvement for me so perfect, i still have a lot of hours of fun

a thing that i love in this game its the learning curve, how do you start being scared of fighting even spiders and how you end farming bosses and this i something that players must apreciate to maximice the hours of fun. This is not a moba or a shooter, you dont have to be the best since minute one. Just enjoy and feel the gratification of being able of make bigger things each time you play like surviving for more days, kill an entire hound waves by your own, making better bases in less time, using better ways of obtain food and knowing new recipes, etc it take time but this is what a good game its suppose to offer, lots of fun

die could be frustrating but feeling the entire experience of this game could be and your evolution as survivor is best thing this game gives

Meh, kinda like @minespatch and @Axelocke . I'm (more of) a supporter, I prefer to fight bosses with people. Be in the caves with friends and/or acquaintances, etc. I haven't beat very many bosses, but I know enough to survive a full year at the very least. 

I get nervous when I'm alone or in-charge of things...more of a in-between.

First, since people have been associating experience with skill, let's define both terms. There's a stark difference between the two.

Experience merely implies that you got to observe/be in contact with previous events.

Skilled, on the other hand, means that you have gained expertise in performing something.

While experience can be a factor in skill, it is not necessarily one especially if one's mindsets, attitudes and practices remain unchanged. Going a bit off-topic here, an example would be Raj from Hell's Kitchen. Despite being the most experienced chef on the show - he was older than Ramsay himself and worked way longer than him - he was still one of the worst chefs overall.

I am another example. Despite having 900+ hours, I have no illusions about my skill and lack thereof. Though I've learned plenty of strategies and methods regarding DST, I make countless mistakes and roll back very often (@Canis can attest to this). This is mainly because my playstyle is less conscious and more reactive, playing without thinking much and planning much. 

Which is why, despite my generally bloodthirsty demeanor in playing DST, i relegate to supportive roles.

1 hour ago, GetNerfedOn said:

First, since people have been associating experience with skill, let's define both terms. There's a stark difference between the two.

Experience merely implies that you got to observe/be in contact with previous events.

Skilled, on the other hand, means that you have gained expertise in performing something.

While experience can be a factor in skill, it is not necessarily one especially if one's mindsets, attitudes and practices remain unchanged. Going a bit off-topic here, an example would be Raj from Hell's Kitchen. Despite being the most experienced chef on the show - he was older than Ramsay himself and worked way longer than him - he was still one of the worst chefs overall.

I am another example. Despite having 900+ hours, I have no illusions about my skill and lack thereof. Though I've learned plenty of strategies and methods regarding DST, I make countless mistakes and roll back very often (@Canis can attest to this). This is mainly because my playstyle is less conscious and more reactive, playing without thinking much and planning much. 

Which is why, despite my generally bloodthirsty demeanor in playing DST, i relegate to supportive roles.

4 hours ago, Blunderbuss said:

Keyword experienced, all we need to get into the club is a bunch of hours!

image.png.1dc86025c22c10f8a0d10993242f7f95.pngpffffff... acting like you have to be good at the game...

I'd consider myself high end of middling skill-wise, because while I lack the patience to build elaborate mob farms or learn and implement the fiddly strategies to kill raid bosses in single combat (especially non-cheesy kills, as cheese tactics aren't fun for me), I can bounce back from just about any kind of adversity. However, I have close to three thousand hours between DS and DST; if I don't count as experienced I'm not sure who does.

If the BASICS, like the absolute _minimum_, of being considered even AVERAGE in Don't Starve involves being able to solo bosses and handle the caves with style then...I suck.  :(

I play it for the SURVIVAL aspects, and the building and exploring, not the combat.  You know the four X's in "Four X" games?  Explore, expand, exploit, exterminate? I REALLY suck at that last one.  I honestly have no freaking idea HOW anyone kites safely during the larger hound attacks (since they come at you from _all directions at once_ usually).  I don't get how that physically even WORKS.  I don't like things coming up from under my feet and call me spoiled, but I'm way too accustomed to just getting light for free all day.  I don't LIKE being insane in this game, or under the constant threat of danger.  I like to have quiet moments where I can breathe and think.

But I also honestly think it's more FUN to run one mob into another and get the game's world itself to solve your problems for you.  It feels clever and resourceful.  For example, just recently I kept running the hound attacks up to the nearby Bearger during the summer.  Then when he turned SUPER aggro on me for no reason during fall (I didn't hit him, I was barely even on the same screen...) I led him back to my traps, where he died to...the teeth of former hound attacks.  Weirdly poetic, in a way. 

DEPRESSED RANT TIME YAY

Spoiler

WAY back, some total JERK on this board that I'd never done a single thing to, called me a "veteran noob" when I posted a picture showing that I'd gotten to day 570 as proof that I _do_ know at least the basics.  I shouldn't let the words of bullies get to me but GOD DAMMIT every time this kind of subject comes up I wonder if it's true.  I can't fight (and just don't...CARE enough about it to invest the time and effort to learn), I only know the crock pot recipes I use regularly and I don't want to live in the caves.  ALL OF THOSE THINGS ARE CONSIDERED BABYISH, WIMPY AND NOOBISH.  :(

I don't care, most of the time.  I play my own way.  I just wish my own way was...more respected.  I don't WANT to be a Pro, but I don't like being looked down on and bullied by those who are, either.  (Not to say that anybody in THIS thread has done that.....yet.)  Basically...I'm a fish that's _really good_ at swimming, but all The Community seems to care about is your ability to climb a tree.  There's only ONE skillset that's ever talked about or respected.  And considering _this is a SANDBOX GAME_, that really shouldn't be so.

I am NOT trash tier!  I'm just playing on an entirely different, seperate ladder.

In terms of support vs. leader, neither.  Don't give me orders and I won't order you around (unless it's an emergency, like "GET OUT OF BASE!!" when I hear Deerclops coming).  I tend to kind of do my own thing, but I'm generally helpful.

In the Forge (which I of course SUCKED at and never felt comfortable playing) I tended to default to Healer Winona, so I guess support role, there.  If you ever need a D&D party I'd be happy to play the Cleric, I guess. 

...Notorious

5 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

Yes I can survive for hundreds on end(have done so on both vanilla and mod worlds), I've solo'd most bosses in this game with dragonfly being a personal favorite to solo rush.

I know alot of the crockpot recipes, mainly the important ones for long term, and know how to handle hounds day 100+

I'm pretty sure this qualifies as humbe-bragging.

Archived