Do you consider yourself as an experienced player?

Sorry for my acting before, but I always had trouble in my life to talk with peoples.

Playing alone in terms of only with your own friends and not with strangers is a bad way to become experienced. You might learn from your own mistakes, invent new techniques by your own, etc. But then again: You'll miss alot of experience when playing alone. There might be about 10 times more techniques ingame which had been invented by other players, but you'll never know that they did even exist ingame, because you'll never meet the players who know these techniques if you keep playing solo.

You may call yourself an experienced player according to your ingame experience, but there'll be always an even more experienced player somewhere who has way more knowledge than you. And if you compare your knowledge with his knowledge, you'll end up as an totally inexperienced player. And experience shouldn't be compared with skill.

17 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Sorry for my acting before, but I always had trouble in my life to talk with peoples.

Playing alone in terms of only with your own friends and not with strangers is a bad way to become experienced. You might learn from your own mistakes, invent new techniques by your own, etc. But then again: You'll miss alot of experience when playing alone. There might be about 10 times more techniques ingame which had been invented by other players, but you'll never know that they did even exist ingame, because you'll never meet the players who know these techniques if you keep playing solo.

You may call yourself an experienced player according to your ingame experience, but there'll be always an even more experienced player somewhere who has way more knowledge than you. And if you compare your knowledge with his knowledge, you'll end up as an totally inexperienced player. And experience shouldn't be compared with skill.

I've been watching Edgy Rick for a while now, I guess my "knowledge" may be great, but sure, there will be people with better knowledge out there, such as him

35 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Dare I say will even rub some toxic behavior on yourself - as one can see in your case, my dear @Viktor234. And I know pretty well what am writing above, first because in my >7.5k hours of DST, more than 5k are spent in those pubs, and second since I know how you and your gang operate on EU Klei official servers, but out of respect for Hans and Starscream (nice and helpful chaps on their solo runs btw) won't elaborate further.

I agree that I'm sometimes annoying and toxic ingame, even if I don't flame at other players. Being fair towards others isn't too hard for me, but being friendly towards newcomers is a skill I don't master (caring too much for other players won't teach them at all), unlike my friends you mentioned here who are able to aid me in tasks like these.

Call me a veteran, but not experienced. I've been playing for 8 years, but I'm still not very good at Don't Starve without using console/commands.

I'm decent at kiting, but I often get my butt whooped by raid bosses.

I do not consider myself an expert as in I can do anything in the game, but I would consider myself a pro survivalist. I can join a server in any season and set myself up, I memorized all the important recepies as well as the most effecient ingredients to use for them. I build small camps and keep very few items. One of the things I take pride in is my ability to carry someone while still being able to take care of myself. I've never solo'd any boss, I've never seen the ruins on my own. Never seen malbatross, heck, I can't even best clockworks without almost dying, but strictly survival I got down.

590 hours, and I rely heavily on Abigail, swamps, traps, & tricks... I've never been very good a kiting, maybe it's a rhythm thing? And caves make me nervous! I love base building & handling everything as efficiently as possible, while dodging all the death the game throws at you. Still, I have to rollback once in a while. Also have never gotten further than 5-ish years solo. I like making new worlds too much, or joining random pubs. 

Efficient casual. :wilson_flower:

5 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

A-forking-MEN, but I _have_ had some genuinely nice cooperative times with _decent_ people--noobs who were willing to learn and veterans alike!  I've made like, ALL of my Steam friends from playing DST, in fact.

On the other hand, I have indeed actually been griefed.  And then hit on!  BY the griefer.  (Boy, did YOU ever pick the wrong time and place to flirt...)  Then I was accused of catfishing when I played the game (by his standards, anyway) "well".  (Man, I didn't set OUT to have all the negative female-gamer-experience cliches in one hour.  It just happened!)

Then there was that time with the....threat...that was said to the player playing WENDY...Let's just say I kept those chat logs as _evidence_, and move on.

Then there's the idiot who slept away my entire tent AND lean-to AND picked all the bee-box flowers for his sanity, in JUST. A FEW.  _DAYS_, then whacked a beefalo in a herd and wouldn't get out of base when fire hounds, even though we'd shown him where the traps were and were yelling repeatedly "GO TO THE TRAPS!!"

This was in the SAME session as the classic WX Who Grabs All Your Gears, only in this case with a twist:  He was trying to freaking BLACKMAIL me out of them!  He was literally like, "I'll go away and stop being annoying (and by "being annoying" I mean, _not letting me into MY OWN FRIDGE_) "...if you let me have these gears. "  So...you'll stop annoying me if I just LET you do _the specfic thing you're annoying me about_.   Um.  I'm actually the admin of this server, so how 'bout I just kick you.  'Kay?  'Kay.  (Oldbies to the forums may remember these stories as "The Night of Jerkface and Dumbarse" (Attourneys at Law!), in the _original_ "Tips On How To Be Courteous To Other Players" thread.)

I don't need to go get experiences with bad players.  I've HAD them, and I wouldn't recommend them to _anyone_.  Go have a GOOD time with the game and leave the misery at things like work and school!

...Notorious

I agree with arubarobeefalo and you I feel like it's harder with players then playing alone since mostly you have to watch what others are doing and some people are new which i enjoy helping them giving basic info to make them a little better at the game and yeah I do not understand what's so hard to say do not pick these flowers since they for the bees and there's alot at another place lol

With my girlfriend, we can survive all 5 seasons (first one + four seasonal bosses) while killing all of them and make a good base. All of this without any mod other than music, no reset and without even dying once. About 700 hours of gameplay each.

However we've never played on a public server. And we cannot fight against big meanies like DragonFly, Fuel Weaver etc. We are "cheesing" some of them with bunnies or rock lobsters. I would say we're at the very beginning of late game, discovering rush strategies and advanced combat.

Still dying to that horrifying Pengull from time to time :D

I only have about 200 hours on the game. I like to think that I know what I'm doing and that I can do it somewhat well.

However, I've never beaten Fuelweaver, Toadstool, Queen Bee, or Ancient Guardian. I've never even been to the ruins. I've never beaten adventure mode. I have however survived to day 500 or so without dying.

I think of myself as "experienced" but not even close to a pro.

Review all of my past experienced in DST

The players I'm most appreciated aren't those who rushed the ruin at day1

and then show up with thulecite crown and starcaller and talk like a boss

they are usually the one

1. gathering and sharing resources for farm, logs

2. farm and share the food supply for everyone

3. tidying base neatly

4. maintain base to be able to function at all four seasons

solo a hard boss is just meaning you know the boss well and quite a bit skilful

anyone can do that as well since the bosses isn't designed completely impossible to be defeated alone

however with team power, if we wish, we may do it more efficiently and faster than an experienced player

the part I most enjoyed in DST is that work like a team with those random strangers which is rather more difficult to happen in public server

I don't have all that much expirience, but i'd say i'm kinda good. Not amazing or anything, but pretty good. (Everything i'm going to write is based on 250~ hours in the game. Whether you find it a lot or nothing at all. Also, english is not my native language so please forgive mistakes.)

I can kite some bosses, but not all of them yet. Even though i have seen some parts of the ruins (such as the labyrinth) i haven't seen all that much of it. I have somehow never seen splumonkeys. Maybe cause i usually don't stay more than a year that i haven't been in the caves that much.

I do believe anyone can learn this game with enough actual practice. Not just watching. I played with my friend who didn't kite well, and relied on abigail quite a lot. He saw me fight bearger and wanted to join in. He died in seconds, and then we rollbacked and he tried again. And again. At the fourth time, he nearly made it all the way. I think dst is about helping each other get better. 

I'm not talking about people who just ruin your base- no no no, that can be really annoying. Buuut... I do think you should let your friends try - and die. Again, and again, and again and again. Cause that way they really gain the expirience and will be able to try things on their own. 

Listen, i cannot kite groups of 4 or more of the same mob easily either and hadn't even try dragonfly.

Start easy with people. You may be good, but that doesn't mean they have that much expirence. It can be really annoying to "clean after" or leave everything you're doing and help when mistakes happen but... Unless you were born blessed or something, most of us make mistakes, and learn from them.

Everyone does something in a team.

Even though i wrote all of that... I'm not really a good dst player yet. I'm cool in solo (in dst's worlds) but i still haven't mastered the entire "work in a team" thing. So solo- pretty good, in a team- mediocre :)

I'm working on it though.

12 hours ago, gghhrr said:

The players I'm most appreciated aren't those who rushed the ruin at day1

and then show up with thulecite crown and starcaller and talk like a boss

(...)

anyone can do that (...)

I'm pretty certain you have it the other way around or I'm not getting what you're trying to say.

It's extremely easy to walk over to your team's base and say:

1. "look guys, I have 4 stacks of X resource".
  2. "look guys, everything is organized"
  3. "look guys, there's Y and Z in the fridge"

In cases like these; ANYONE can grab an axe and hold spacebar next to a tree for a limited amount of time, only to repeat it over and over again, ANYONE can find meat, it's literally everywhere, ANYONE can download geometric placement and fill in some squares to get an organized base. Players with 2 hours can do it, players with 20 hours can do it, players with 200 hours can do it, players with 2000 hours can do it too - hence why **anyone**.

The players you should appreciate are definitely the ones who kill dragonfly (for tons of gems, meat and a furnance that'll make winter even easier than it already is) and/or ancient guardian (for lazy explorer, stacks of thulecite crowns, thulecite armors, lots of gems, lots of gears, lots of gold and quality of life amulets) before day 20. These will be the same players who'll distribute Krampus Sacks, Bundling Wraps, Walking Canes and Tam O'Shanters/Beefalo Hat and, when the time comes and everyone is panicking by over-preparing for Deerclops or Bearger fight near the base. This is the exact same player who'll only need a spear and a thermal stone.

Appreciate the fighters you find in public servers, you definitely need them more than they need you. Everyone is capable of gathering resources, but, if you look around, even in this thread alone, most people don't know how to kite bosses nor have beaten them at all.

But to contribute to the thread: I consider myself an experienced player, I've been hanging around since DST started and learned a lot from thinking about my own decisions in-game and watching how others prioritize things. I still stick to a pretty strict pattern through the first few days and I should learn how to improvise "on the fly" more, but old habits die hard.

29 minutes ago, fluffytail said:

The players you should appreciate are definitely the ones who kill dragonfly (for tons of gems, meat and a furnance that'll make winter even easier than it already is) and/or ancient guardian (for lazy explorer, stacks of thulecite crowns, thulecite armors, lots of gems, lots of gears, lots of gold and quality of life amulets) before day 20. These will be the same players who'll distribute Krampus Sacks, Bundling Wraps, Walking Canes and Tam O'Shanters/Beefalo Hat and, when the time comes and everyone is panicking by over-preparing for Deerclops or Bearger fight near the base. This is the exact same player who'll only need a spear and a thermal stone.

Appreciate the fighters you find in public servers, you definitely need them more than they need you. Everyone is capable of gathering resources, but, if you look around, even in this thread alone, most people don't know how to kite bosses nor have beaten them at all.

Yes, except you forgot one small detail: usually those players, at least in Survival pubs I've frequented the most - EU ones, won't share any of the items you enumerated. More so, and I find this the most funny thing: they solo-rush Ruins for example, kill AG, get a lot of Thule from everywhere, including walls, plus gems and such, then go to main APS, craft 5-6 Crowns, 3-4 Suits, 1-2 Starcallers, bonus if crafting even Decon Staffs, spam chat via Status Announcer with all mentioned items, including Guardian Horn and then... leave server. With all loot in inventory, never to be seen again in current iteration of said server(s). Is ok-ish for Survival pubs I suppose, such rooms majority-of-times survive only 1st autumn/1st winter. Yet most recent such-incident I've witnessed was on a - of all things - Endless Dedicated server (USA one this time) and actor of that was a forumite and modder from here forums. Speaks interesting volumes about these peeps' personalities in the end, more so as 7-8/10 such "experienced pro players" act this way from my encounters. Maybe is predominantly an EU thing, but again: in most cases I've seen solo-fighting players rushing stuff they don't share anything and regularly do their own mojo, independent of all other players, camping alone, mushing alone etc - aka no gain "for the global team", even theoretical losses given the fact they leave server with rare materials; true, they earned by being first to get them, still discussion was about who is more helpful to "the team".

There are pleasant exceptions from time to time among random "advanced-and-skilled rushers" in them pubs, helping casuals, giving rare loot and so on - when that happens I suppose one can feel the true intended "together" spirit of DST :)

1 hour ago, fluffytail said:

If you manage to solo kill dragonfly that doesn't mean that you're experienced. There are players who approached that goal by walling up the whole Dragonfly arena, stacking lots of healing armor and then just facetanking Dragonfly. While a few of them were successful, they did it in a very ineffective way, wasting tons of ressources.

Why should players share their loot with other players if they could also just feed it to a lureplant and get the same results? While some players might use the items wisely, others will just waste them for nothing or leave the game with all the obtained items. There are many players who leave with e.g. Cane & Tam equipped and never came back to do anything. Others do for example pick a Star Caller's Staff and die later on via Shadows.

Deerclops is a mob which players should be able to handle or avoid, and there are better uses for Bearger besides killing him in a 1v1 duel.

7 hours ago, fluffytail said:

I'm pretty certain you have it the other way around or I'm not getting what you're trying to say.

It's extremely easy to walk over to your team's base and say:

1. "look guys, I have 4 stacks of X resource".
  2. "look guys, everything is organized"
  3. "look guys, there's Y and Z in the fridge"

I'm pretty sure you probably play on hosted server most of the time or having group of nice friends

I enjoyed a group of weak fighters fight the Deerclops or the bearger than a fighter beat down the bosses

that is probably one of the reason I rarely pick Wigfrid or Wolfgang anymore

Deerclops and DF aren't need to overprepare and I seldom see people overprepare for it

if you see people overprepare for them, it isn't a bad thing, once they get down Deerclops

they will find out every log suit of them are mostly perfectly not damaged hardly

their sanity are nearly exactly same as before the fight

they can be better wisely use of resources

it is better for them than being clueless after someone beat the Deerclops

if one beat down Deerclops with just one spear and thermal stone, without healing food, armor

in the end, he either has very low hp or low sanity, chased by bunches of nightmare

some random stuff around probably burnt for his thermal stone

yea most of them are trees, but sometimes they are my precious mushroom for lures and only renewable from cave

it is time consuming to switch to cave server and find the mushroom area chopping

one of my recent game experience for example

Spoiler

I picked up Wendy and spent all the time on the sea in autumn and winter

and a Wes joined in winter, he was dead once with lower max hp

there were only us in the servers

we group up on day 30

sharing each other the only resources we barely get 2 helmet or log suit and 1 spear each, a little healing food

and we beat down the Deerclops

we probably couldn't do it alone but we manage to do it together with less resource consumed

honestly, I enjoy this process more than everytime I solo Deerclops or someone silently beat down Deerclops using Wigfrid

I enjoy the gaming process more than they take all my fun

you see, supportive players don't actually need an experienced fighter as a fighter don't need us

but a supportive player can speed up a process of another one's creative base building, farm station or sea base setup

public server won't last too long, we won't be on every hour

I just want to see what if I left those resources for others

will anyone complete his dream without wasting time for recource collecting

and on the next day or next week, when I join the server again, I'm not being asked to pick a new character on public server

yes, anyone can collect the resource extremely easy

but do you often see them put 9 stacks of grasses, twigs and logs in chests instead of just taking them away from chest?

it's nice for people helping farm gem from DF and bring them back

but gems are really rarely used

there are simple and cheaper ways to get gem or to archive the same effect

IMO most useful and demanded gem is red gem, although I don't really use living amulet

and I don't consider 8 meats from DF is a lots, if anyone goes solo, he might consume more than DF drop

it would be completely easy and different if a team do it

I don't think furnace make winter any easier for anyone, for me, it is an afk station in winter only

for new rocky guy, he probably just stand next to it all the winter and eat up all food in fridge and do nothing

krampus sack is nice, but that usually belong to one person item

even the server lasts for 1k days, I rarely see anyone staying and maintaining the server on 24 hours

best drop from Klaus are the bq blueprint or eyeball, either eye turret or eyebrella

they are always produce benefit for entire team in some ways

although you can get them directly just from bq and deerclops instead of random trash drops

in most cases, it is more harrassing to me

when a small group of people keep asking for rolling back entire server to abuse Klaus' drop

even if I'm in the group raiding Klaus

Archived