Do you consider yourself as an experienced player?

4 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I honestly have no freaking idea HOW anyone kites safely during the larger hound attacks (since they come at you from _all directions at once_ usually).  I don't get how that physically even WORKS. 

Running kilometres and hitting when you have some of then insolated. Its practise and patience, in this game patience its the key when fighting xd

7 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Kiting mobs, using the Crockpot, killing seasonal bosses, surviving: An average player should be able to master these skills.

And according to your skills, you are lacking skills like "playing DST with other players".

I have played with my friends for endless hours, sadly, they still can't kite nightmares, kill deerclops, other seasonal bosses or rush the ruins, even if they stand and look while I'm doing all of these stuff. 

46 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

I have played with my friends for endless hours

Playing with friends is something everyone is able to do, you need to play with real strangers, strangers who pick your stuff, burn your base, plant tentacles everywhere, and regenerate your world daily. You can't be experienced if you don't have any experience how to deal with them. Pick any server, join during winter and complete your "achievements" once more.

2 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Playing with friends is something everyone is able to do, you need to play with real strangers, strangers who pick your stuff, burn your base, plant tentacles everywhere, and regenerate your world daily. You can't be experienced if you don't have any experience how to deal with them. Pick any server, join during winter and complete your "achievements" once more.

why would I waste my time doing that? are you mad because someone may have griefed your server or something? this is the worst logic I've ever seen. 

11 hours ago, Charlie Dark said:

I would say that I consider myself as an experienced player [...]

1 minute ago, Charlie Dark said:

why would I waste my time doing that? [...] this is the worst logic I've ever seen. 

Well, looks like you're lacking some real experience, thus I wouldn't call you a real experienced player. Perhaps you have experience in solo play, but that's not how DST works.

Q.E.D.

No, that's what we call "being a masochist".  Why on earth would you deliberately aggravate yourself for NO real reason at all?  Being angry or depressed or frustrated from something you HAVE to deal with (work, family problems, etc.) is one thing.  But why the HELL would you borrow _more_ misery on purpose than what real life already dishes out?  Suffering in your escapist entertainment is _entirely OPTIONAL_.

Games are supposed to be at least a little bit FUN.  If you actually ENJOY dealing with awful people, good. Go do that.  The rest of us will be over here, _not_ punching our fists through walls and making therapy appointments.

...Notorious

23 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Playing with friends is something everyone is able to do,

Not really, not everyone has a reliable group or a person they can play with daily, build base with and simply enjoy the game. Why do you think there are so many people looking for friends on steam or even here?

15 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Perhaps you have experience in solo play, but that's not how DST works.

So you define experience by the amount of time you survived with new people and just griefers overall? I can see some difficulty in everything that's trying to best you including players, but it's not about competition in this game, it's player vs environment, not player vs player, but that's your logic.

If you like that sort of thing then hooray you, but don't force your playstyle on others or tell people what they need to do to become ,,super pro dst gamer", the person paid for the game and it's their decision how they want to play it, not yours.

44 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Well, looks like you're lacking some real experience, thus I wouldn't call you a real experienced player. Perhaps you have experience in solo play, but that's not how DST works.

Q.E.D.

that's not how DST works. It's a co-op, uncompromising survival game. If griefers ruin it, it's not my fault, that's not how DST is played. I do have experience in co-op, I've rescued my friends multiple times, helped them kill their nightmares, revived them, force-fed them, I've been there when they needed me, gave them advice. If you've got problems with griefers this is different story, and it's not how DST is meant to be played, some people just wanna ruin everything whenever they get the chance. 

Just now, Charlie Dark said:

I agree, and I made a huge mistake taking them in the ruins.I should have gone alone.. 

i have the same problem but i can ask for my friends to play better when they didnt play as much as i did so for having fun i change my playstyle to a more passive one where there is no ruins rush or boss fights in early days. Just making a funtional base with plenty food and helping then to survive hound and shadow atacks. Think about how much time you need to do than kind of things and have patience, they will improve if they listen to you (i have luck with tha, they always ask me for what to do or what to dont do). Its frustrating to dont do some kind of stuff (like klaus 1st winter) or that i must to stop what im doing to revive them (we play with no portal resurection just items) but i die a lot too when i had their skill level . we where 3 playing and they died like 6 times in the first portion of the ruins but was hilarious how they panic with deephsworms

But is normal that they forget to equip armor in a fight or that kind of newbie stuff.. because they are newbies yet

that is in my case, maybe yours is different

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

i have the same problem but i can ask for my friends to play better when they didnt play as much as i did so for having fun i change my playstyle to a more passive one where there is no ruins rush or boss fights in early days. Just making a funtional base with plenty food and helping then to survive hound and shadow atacks. Think about how much time you need to do than kind of things and have patience, they will improve if they listen to you (i have luck with tha, they always ask me for what to do or what to dont do). Its frustrating to dont do some kind of stuff (like klaus 1st winter) or that i must to stop what im doing to revive them (we play with no portal resurection just items) but i die a lot too when i had their skill level . we where 3 playing and they died like 6 times in the first portion of the ruins but was hilarious how they panic with deephsworms

But is normal that they forget to equip armor in a fight or that kind of newbie stuff.. because they are newbies yet

that is in my case, maybe yours is different

at this point I don't know if they are careless or if they can't hit anything because of their lag.. that's an other issue 

Just now, Charlie Dark said:

at this point I don't know if they are careless or if they can't hit anything because of their lag.. that's an other issue 

well is sad when people dont take this "serious". This game demands a lot and if they play just because the can answere the phone meanwhile they are sleeping (i hate that waste of food just because "im crazy" but not even shadows spawning) or stay in the firepit doing nothign is frustrating, is a waste of food that you can use for fight or travel 

so now i have 2 ways of play, my soloworlds that i do what i want when i want and the worlds with my friends that i just go relaxing things to improve the farms so we can be full of resources to start doing stuff without fear of they running out of healing and armor

9 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

If griefers ruin it, it's not my fault,

There are many cases where it's your fault if griefers ruin your game.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

I do have experience in co-op, I've rescued my friends multiple times, helped them kill their nightmares, revived them, force-fed them, I've been there when they needed me, gave them advice.

With that experience, you may call yourself a real babysitter. But that's not how players do learn in DST.

13 minutes ago, Charlie Dark said:

that's not how DST works. [...] that's not how DST is played. [...] If you've got problems with griefers this is different story, and it's not how DST is meant to be played, some people just wanna ruin everything whenever they get the chance. 

I never said that I had problems with griefers, I did just mention that one of the experiences you are lacking is how to deal with newcomers and griefers, especially because you keep saying that that kind of experience is "useless", "waste of time", etc.

3 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

There are many cases where it's your fault if griefers ruin your game.

With that experience, you may call yourself a real babysitter. But that's not how players do learn in DST.

I never said that I had problems with griefers, I did just mention that one of the experiences you are lacking is how to deal with newcomers and griefers, especially because you keep saying that that kind of experience is "useless", "waste of time", etc.

then how do they learn? if there's no guidance ? 

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

actually this game is harder with people than alone xD

A-forking-MEN, but I _have_ had some genuinely nice cooperative times with _decent_ people--noobs who were willing to learn and veterans alike!  I've made like, ALL of my Steam friends from playing DST, in fact.

On the other hand, I have indeed actually been griefed.  And then hit on!  BY the griefer.  (Boy, did YOU ever pick the wrong time and place to flirt...)  Then I was accused of catfishing when I played the game (by his standards, anyway) "well".  (Man, I didn't set OUT to have all the negative female-gamer-experience cliches in one hour.  It just happened!)

Then there was that time with the....threat...that was said to the player playing WENDY...Let's just say I kept those chat logs as _evidence_, and move on.

Then there's the idiot who slept away my entire tent AND lean-to AND picked all the bee-box flowers for his sanity, in JUST. A FEW.  _DAYS_, then whacked a beefalo in a herd and wouldn't get out of base when fire hounds, even though we'd shown him where the traps were and were yelling repeatedly "GO TO THE TRAPS!!"

This was in the SAME session as the classic WX Who Grabs All Your Gears, only in this case with a twist:  He was trying to freaking BLACKMAIL me out of them!  He was literally like, "I'll go away and stop being annoying (and by "being annoying" I mean, _not letting me into MY OWN FRIDGE_) "...if you let me have these gears. "  So...you'll stop annoying me if I just LET you do _the specfic thing you're annoying me about_.   Um.  I'm actually the admin of this server, so how 'bout I just kick you.  'Kay?  'Kay.  (Oldbies to the forums may remember these stories as "The Night of Jerkface and Dumbarse" (Attourneys at Law!), in the _original_ "Tips On How To Be Courteous To Other Players" thread.)

I don't need to go get experiences with bad players.  I've HAD them, and I wouldn't recommend them to _anyone_.  Go have a GOOD time with the game and leave the misery at things like work and school!

...Notorious

Looking at the responses here, a compromise I could suggest is for people to find compromises and try to see where other people are coming from instead of forcing one's experience and skills onto others, to the point that accusations, prejudices and hot words fly from all parties involved.

Don't Starve Together, while being a multiplayer game at its core, is a sandbox survival game which is enjoyable whether if you are playing alone or with other people, whether if they are strangers or friends, skilled or unskilled, innocent noobs or harmful griefers. Whatever you choose to do, whatever set of skills and playstyle you choose to gain, whether you choose to invest 900-2000 hours of your life partaking in DST's content, always remember that:

- The game is yours to partake with as you wish. Do what you will to have reasonable fun, even if you're not skilled at the game.

- The game is also for others to partake and you have to acknowledge that fact. That means that you cannot force your concepts, ideas, experiences and such with other people who have a vastly different experience to yours.

- With the previous statements in mind, one has no right to invalidate anybody's experiences, skills and playstyles. While these are plentiful and varying in effectivity, none of them are invalid for so long as the person practicing them is having fun, because that's DST's prime purpose. Playing alone or with friends? Playing as a challenge Wes, a superefficient Wicker, a supportive Wormwood, a broken mod character or a balanced Princess Rosalina? Playing extremely skilled or still learning how to play? Playing vanilla, with QoL mods, or with hardmode mods? Rolling back every time you die or allowing the world to regenerate? I don't mind so long as you're having fun.

- However, this does not mean that I condone griefing in any form or shape. While that is indeed an experience in DST, it just comes at a detriment to other players and must be avoided as much as possible.

Anyways,

While this thread was conceived for the purpose of determining one's experience in DST, I have three requests to keep this thread sane:

- as aforementioned, please don't think that experience and skill are the same thing.

- also aforementioned, don't force your experiences on other people.

- finally, don't compare experiences. Comparisons are usually invalidated because, again, different players have different, completely valid experiences.

TLDR: Respect the fact that YMMV. 

No, I still haven't figure out how to survive without a light and food source. So I'm pretty much the same as a day 1 noob.

Edit: And I can't kite with predictive mode when I'm not the host. Yeah, I'm pretty awful at this game.

While objectively I do concur one hasn't fully experienced the "Together" part of DST and its inherent adversities without playing (hectic) pub games - aka Survival Dedicated and Un-modded servers, more so if likewise un-moderated - to actually understand general player-bulk tendencies and see some of the mentality types developing in said pub-environments, and to also come on top of those player-delivered adversities (griefing included), in the subjective end is not really a desired experience for vast majority of people making one feel more wholesome-and-whatnot (well, if one doesn't get some thrills via sadomasochism that is). Is a bitter one, making you wary of anyone popping in said pubs, teaching you to adopt nomad play-style (& be proficient at it) and/or go for obscure base spots in dangerous areas like deep Ruins/Labyrinth entrance or adjacent corridors of main/complete Ancient Pseudoscience Station area, even Atrium in a more extreme case-response, in Cave swamps, or that particular Grassy area generated in some Cave land-iterations after Stalagmite Terrain infested with spiders or Guano biome full of Bat lairs, without any Sinkhole access around, all this to just elude noobs/trolls/griefers and their low-key shenanigans (alternatively one can chose a main Lunar Island or a Lunar archipelago base, even a Boat-base - props if using single, multipurpose boat). Yes, this reactive mentality to players' harms will make you even better at the game (getting you used to those dangerous places mentioned above), but most likely will make you abrasive and apprehensive in return. Dare I say will even rub some toxic behavior on yourself - as one can see in your case, my dear @Viktor234. And I know pretty well what am writing above, first because in my >7.5k hours of DST, more than 5k are spent in those pubs, and second since I know how you and your gang operate on EU Klei official servers, but out of respect for Hans and Starscream (nice and helpful chaps on their solo runs btw) won't elaborate further.

As a conclusion is what @GetNerfedOn points at: one can be experienced by taking (passively) part in groups actions/activities, following other (more advanced) players' advices, watching videos, tutorials and the like, but actual skill at those actions comes also from practice (bonus if done solo without mods/console commands option etc), getting yourself familiar with complex situations thrown at you by various environmental and player-generated stresses, and coming on proverbial top of them all. And all that without harshly judging your fellow pub-ers as this game isn't a competitive one in first place - the sandbox aspect has a big role. Cheers!

Regarding griefers on pub games: kick, roll-back (if can), go the Wicker route of zapping them to kingdom-come or... stop playing pubs altogether - you won't really miss them if relaxation is your goal :encouragement:

6 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

It isn't bragging because

- she isn't putting anybody else down

- she provides a counterpoint in the rest of her argument

"I'm pretty sure this qualifies as humble-bragging"

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/humblebrag/

WHAT DOES HUMBLEBRAG MEAN?

"Ugh, my phone is so old! I'm embarrassed to take it with me during my dates with supermodels and actors."

When you want to boast but pretend to be modest about it or gripe about something most people would desire, you're humblebragging. The term, and practice, is especially common on social media.

Archived