Wendy's Character Refresh is Now Available!

24 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

One at a time is easier to keep track of, what with that fancy little tag on Abigail's portrait, and it can work provided the effects are good enough.

I do see your point, but the more I think about it, the more I think that one at a time is harder to keep track of.

When fighting a boss for example, you'd probably use Unyielding Draught so Abigail lasts longer, but the moment she gets low, you'd probably use either Revenant Restorative or Spectral Cure-All to heal her back up. The problem now is she lost the Revenant Restorative, so not only is she more susceptible to damage, making the healing elixirs not as effective, you now have to keep an eye on the duration of the heal so you can apply Revenant Restorative again, all the while fighting the boss.

The way I see it, you either are very good at managing Abigail while fighting, or you just use whatever elixir on Abigail, wail on the boss and forget about her, or you stand back and manage Abigail's elixirs without entering the fight yourself.

I may very well be wrong on this, or maybe this is actually intended. Either way, just my two cents.

• Like 1

Really good short, lore intensifies. Also really sad but their bond as sisters is really strong if you think about it. Oh and her new skin is really sweet, nice detail.

Something bugs me about the broken pappers but i don't really have a theory lol (maybe they just meant to be old and worn out?)

wwwwwwendy.thumb.png.4b6e469fa97e518457b3b239499160cc.png

Anyway, thanks for the update Klei! Take care <3

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jarisai said:

So, Wendy’s full name is Wendy Lillian Carter? Nocie 

*Abigail Lillian Carter.

5 hours ago, jarisai said:

Also, it’s canon that she is a Maxwell’s familiar right? 

I know it's a language thing, but I'm now imagining Maxwell using Wendy like a summon. :wilson_ecstatic:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

First post here and actually created an account to post this. First of all, my friend got me playing this game with her less than a year ago by sending me a link to a character page on the wiki. She said that she plays this game we should play together and she knew the perfect character for me and that I would adore her.

She was right. It was, of course, Wendy. I played this game to play as Wendy.

I've played almost 140 hours of this game since which is a lot for me on a single game. Probably in the top 10 for most hours I've ever spent playing a single game (the others being MMOs). Over half of that time was spent playing Wendy. As I got more and more experienced with her and the game, I found her severely lacking when it came to virtually all activities apart from farming spiders, monster meat, and bee stingers. I made the sanity station with her and that was okay, but it didn't feel like something that was intended for her and we honestly very rarely used it after getting Tams.

It hurt, because I LOVE Wendy's connection to early 1900s spiritualism, her obsession with death, her sadness, and her Victorian aesthetic. I connect with all of that. Wortox, though, was also sad and lonely and played way way better in almost every way. I've been a Wortox main ever since trying him out and I love him, too, but I always knew I would like to return to Wendy if her rework made her play better and be more useful.

This... wasn't that.

I hope they aren't done with tweaking her. Maybe I'm just rusty as Wendy, but her and Abigail still feel incredibly weak anywhere it matters. The Mourning Glory is a great mechanic made too grindy and time consuming for the benefits the potions give. I mean, 2-5 of them for weak potions that last 1 minute? And the potions can't even be stacked.

Abigail's stats are too low. Why do we need to be almost dead and wait up to 3 days to have what we had before with her? That feels like an unnecessary nerf to an already underpowered character. Abigail's HP should START at 600 and increase to 800 and then 1200. Her damage should start at 40 on day 1 with full Wendy HP and then scale up from there at 3 days and low Wendy HP. Abi's damage shouldn't just be passable with Wendy at 1 HP. It should be very good with Wendy that weak.

The flower commands are awesome and were greatly needed (though the aggressive stance needs to be more selective in what it attacks) and the Sistern is great, in my opinion. But the rest?

Wortox is still my little cinnamon bun. Sorry, Wendy! :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

BIG ISSUES!

I started up a new server to play with friends, and turns out. ABIGAIL ATTACKS MAXWELLS SHADOW PUPPETS AND GLOMMER! (While on agressive) @JoeW This needs to be fixed QUICKLY!

calm down. Klei always cleans things up after a refresh.

This isn't worth pinging a developer over.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Willow burned them?:wilson_shocked:

Don't think so. Popular theory is that Wendy got pulled into The Constant during a seance. And mysterious fires seems to be Maxwell's/Theirs preferred way of destroying evidence.

• Thanks 2

So after playing the update a bit, so far my only issue is abigail attacking enemy structures when in aggressive mode(i.e. spider nests and bee hives) on her own.

I know you can now just tell her to stay close to stop doing that, but telling her to stay close can also make her not fight when you need her to, I'd love her to mass slaughter spiders and bees, but I'd like it if she didn't destroy every bee hive and non-tier 3 spider den in the process. :s

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 1

I’m a Wigfrid and Wendy main and I’d say I’m pretty happy about this rework for the most part. Probably more happy about the quality of life changes such as being able to see Abby’s health without a mod and having more control over her but the other stuff is also really cool. Only problem I have is that now Wendy seems a little to easy to play. She seems to have almost no issue with sanity and I’m no longer afraid of Abby suiciding to random Treeguards or tentacles in the swamps. And having more control over Abby and to be able desummon her at will means that she’ll almost never die if you’re paying attention. I might be in the minority, but I think Wendy might need some additional minor downsides to make her gameplay slightly more difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terra M Welch said:

So after playing the update a bit, so far my only issue is abigail attacking enemy structures when in aggressive mode(i.e. spider nests and bee hives) on her own.

I know you can now just tell her to stay close to stop doing that, but telling her to stay close can also make her not fight when you need her to, I'd love her to mass slaughter spiders and bees, but I'd like it if she didn't destroy every bee hive and non-tier 3 spider den in the process. :s

Or you can fight with her help in calm mode or put the agressive mode and quick change to calm when she finish cleaning the enemies. I think its so well done and its good to have some negative effects, is dont starve

Edit: i clean an entire spider zone twice and i got anyproblem with nest, i think klei couldnt do abigails controlls better, its just to friendly for the player

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

5 hours ago, Well-met said:

calm down. Klei always cleans things up after a refresh.

This isn't worth pinging a developer over.

9 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

BIG ISSUES!

I started up a new server to play with friends, and turns out. ABIGAIL ATTACKS MAXWELLS SHADOW PUPPETS AND GLOMMER! (While on agressive) @JoeW This needs to be fixed QUICKLY!

Same...... The moment I picked Gloomer’s flower, Abigail apparently didn’t like the idea of two flowers for Wendy and killed the poor guy. Please fix

I think it's really great that now you have more control over Abigail. The ideas of Abigail gets stronger over time and you can upgrade her with Elixirs by interacting with baby ghosts are nice too. 

But the stats Elixirs provide is really lackluster. They're all time-based and the duration is also short, so it feels Abigail needs too much maintenance. But if we can craft something with permanent effects that would be much better to play her (it's should hard to obtain like Guardian's Horn, Shadow Atrium...)

For example:

• 4 mourning glories + Guardian's Horn for extra 10 dps. Can upgrade 2 times
  • 6 mourning glories + Shadow Atrium for 20% damage reduction for both Abigail and Wendy with <50% health. Can upgrade 3 times

Anyway, I really think Elixirs should be tweaked

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bahlsen said:

Could it work like the Thulecite crown ?

I haven't had time to test it yet, but I've told that's what it does. Only the forcefield seems to last for a split second or something.

Theoretically, that would work well for fighting hordes of enemies who attack in quick succession, since it would shield Abigail from all hits after the first. But in practice I doubt it all works out so well...

2 hours ago, Terra M Welch said:

Yeah i think it would be better if when in agressive mode she attack only agressive mobs or mobs that attack us or those structures and mobs we attack.

Edited by Kuba5565
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

or those structures and mobs we attack.

that is made in the calm mode. You must change between modes during fight to controll when she goes yolo and when she just assist you (making easier to heal her in a safe distance and preventing her to destroy everything)

edit: im having a bug. I cant see the new icon tab and there is no slots in the new sanity station

image.thumb.png.2ed0d92e11b508840c8d0f29092ba1c9.png

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

that is made in the calm mode. You must change between modes during fight to controll when she goes yolo and when she just assist you (making easier to heal her in a safe distance and preventing her to destroy everything)

edit: im having a bug. I cant see the new icon tab and there is no slots in the new sanity station

I don't think it's a bug on the game's part, but one on your hud mod's. I remember the same thing happening when Winona was updated.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Oh thats just the hud you are using, anytime a update adds new inventory to an item, modded huds break it. It happened with Hook Line and Inker update with the fishing rod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1