[Game Update] - 307715

Jason

1 minute ago, dissentist said:

To be fair they have been completely contradicting themselves on this all weekend, basically up until this morning when the official line changed to a firm "we're not bringing him back period", almost as if they're challenging their fan base to be pissed.

You do have a point. The fans are saying what they want, and they're really not asking much, but Klei are refusing to give it to them, and although their hearts seem to be in the right place, it's possibly the worst thing they could do.

1 minute ago, voyager156 said:

Warbucks was a fun character with perks that were bland and required some change to make them more interesting.

Wormwood is a unique character very different from the others. He is a bit harder too (he can't heal from food). And I must say I really, really like him! Is he better than Warbucks? Definitely!

But Warbucks was already made. Someone put work in this character. Those graphics/ code/ lines didn't make themselves. So it's illogical in my opinion to delete him... Why just not rework his perks?

it wasnt just the perks...

3 minutes ago, dissentist said:

To be fair they have been completely contradicting themselves on this all weekend, basically up until this morning when the official line changed to a firm "we're not bringing him back period", almost as if they're challenging their fan base to be pissed.

Him not coming back seemed to have been the case from the start. The wording in the OP was just confusing so people were unsure if "starting from scratch" meant a rework, or Wormwood had taken his place.

This was later clarified. Don't misunderstand.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Angel_Octoling said:

Because they said the perks weren't what caused his removal and that they might bring back the perks for a different character, slightly changed.

3 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

it wasnt just the perks...

I know it wasn't just the perks. That's why I wrote:

"But Warbucks was already made. Someone put work in this character. Those graphics/ code/ lines didn't make themselves. So it's illogical in my opinion to delete him... Why just not rework his perks?"

6 minutes ago, voyager156 said:

But Warbucks was already made. Someone put work in this character. Those graphics/ code/ lines didn't make themselves. So it's illogical in my opinion to delete him... Why just not rework his perks?

Because they don't wanna dive into sunk cost fallacy?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

like how they were island themed for shipwrecked?

Nope. Shipwrecked just reskinned the whole thing. I want an entirely new, different way to worldhop in Hamlet, so it's not just assemble the parts n' go for the 3rd time. Some time ago I've suggested using BFB for that, but it probably wouldn't work.

• Like 2

Just now, Maslak said:

Nope. Shipwrecked just reskinned the whole thing. I want an entirely new, different way to worldhop in Hamlet, so it's not just assemble the parts n' go for the 3rd time. Some time ago I've suggested using BFB for that, but it probably wouldn't work.

neat idea

37 minutes ago, JoeW said:

We already changed the strings a long time ago. As I said previously, there was no outrage that this was in response to. It was a decision we made so we can make something new and interesting. 

What I was saying before with the gameplay was not to say that we would just bring the exact same gameplay back on a new character, but to mean that the gameplay people enjoyed about Warbucks. He was pretty lackluster, but there were aspects to him that people enjoyed and are upset to lose, so we are discussing what to do about that specifically. 

Isn't that the same with Walani? Her character and perks are both pretty lackluster. 

• Like 3

can't believe I'm getting into this...

• Wormwood didn't replace Warbucks
  • Warbucks was removed because Klei didn't like him because his personality and lore was REALLY bland (take a look for yourself https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Warbucks_quotes)
  • Warbucks' perks weren't bad but they needed a lot more to them
  • Warbucks' art wasn't that great (put him next to Wilson and you will see)

Warbucks' removal was bond to happen his quotes didn't add anything to the character other then proving how much of a generic movie hunter/explorer dude he was. do I think it's sad to see all the hard work gone into him go, yes. do I think it's better that hes gone so a different character with a better personality can take his place, 100% (not talking about Wormwood). if I have learned anything from Klei its that they know what there doing when it comes to character personalities/lore and if they think it's better that hes gone so they can make a character with so much more, THEN LET THEM, your not the one making the game after all and a lot of us got the game for free.

now after playing Wormwood I have to say, Klei... please change some of his quotes so they aren't just "Friend?", even if its just changing the "?" to a "." or "!" other then that he as some good personality to him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Smitty Inc. said:

now after playing Wormwood I have to say, Klei... please change some of his quotes so they aren't just "Friend?", even if its just changing the "?" to a "." or "!" other then that he as some good personality to him.

a slight variety to what they say sounds nice i agree with that

43 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

How do I stop getting notifications from this fire?

I unfollowed this, and I'm still getting notified. 

It's the gift that keeps on giving!  I'm just here to see how long the "Warbucks War" continues to be strung along...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Izuku_Midoriya said:

So you’re gonna claim that character draws no aesthetic elements from the age of imperialism? Like the rest of the entire DLC? What is your problem with the character if you’ve caved and admitted the gameplay can make a comeback?

Like I said, I think the point is that while other aspects of the Hamlet DLC (and the base game, and Shipwrecked, and ROG, and DST) draw elements from the age of imperialism, Warbucks was cut from it whole-cloth.

He is not a fantasy archetype or aesthetic element that evokes imperialism; he is *literally* a British explorer whose career presumably involved looting artifacts from *real* British colonies on earth before he came to the Constant. I think that's what folks are taking issue with. Maxwell (and most of the other survivors tbh) have done things that are far more horrible in the context of the fantasy world of the game, but that fantasy creates emotional distance for the player. It is generally more traumatic to watch or play or read a historical fiction piece with original characters living through a real genocide, than it is to watch the Death Star destroying Alderaan or Thanos killing half the population of an entire universe, even though the latter events killed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more fictional people than any real genocide.

That being said, I do want to keep this in check. I don't mind Warbucks leaving, but I would be very concerned if this became a slippery slope scrubbing post-colonial subtext from the rest of the franchise, since I think that kind of dark fantasy commentary is an important part of the game's soul. My impression reading SDragonhead and Rellimarual's points is that that's just not the case, though. I'm not on board with the characterization of their opinions of the character as arbitrary or facile; they've clearly given this a lot of thought.

in conclusion, #addwarlytoDST pls

• Like 6

11 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

Rip in pepperonis Lara Croft's eccentric granduncle.

jo4700mu32c21.pngI like Quoth's idea of Warbucks being Wilson's uncle.:wilson_smile:

7 hours ago, Bleksmits said:

Now Wilba runs like mad fuzzball in full moon nights Thanks Klei!

On 2/5/2019 at 10:00 PM, minespatch said:

Yay! My poofywoofer princess is gonna run and do a woodie!

Called it.:wilson_sneaky:

4 hours ago, JoeW said:

Nope. That is a character of me that Jeff drew back in 2012 - there is no history or lore as to what is being smoked in it or where it comes from. It's not even technically supposed to be smoke, I think it's supposed to be vapor, I never asked. 

When is Ethan Klein gonna interview you on the h3h3 podcast?:wilson_ecstatic:

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

How do I stop getting notifications from this fire?I unfollowed this, and I'm still getting notified. deepfried_1549765033254.png.83f117bba49b1c2cf515b9010b3e7e0f.png

5779f266439eb_arieltriesconsoling.png.626f7caa21a85e85e9258b57fc082330.png

Let me throw one for Joe again5b162e1a612d5_arielconsolejoe.png.f829543fa622c6d00cb379fa09724ff6.png

I should probably make one for Jason and hugo too....

• Like 4

5 hours ago, JoeW said:

I have already explained that earlier in the thread. I am not here to argue, only to explain our thinking on this decision. If you want to have a constructive discussion about the topic, then please do.

I’m normally just a lurker here, but I just wanna say i’m sorry that you have to take this abuse. I personally don’t really care for either side of the debate, but I support the devs in their decision making, and I trust them to do what they think will make the game good. Know that there are those of us that support you, even in this whole mess, either way. Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lemonsnoot said:

I’m normally just a lurker here, but I just wanna say i’m sorry that you have to take this abuse. I personally don’t really care for either side of the debate, but I support the devs in their decision making, and I trust them to do what they think will make the game good. Know that there are those of us that support you, even in this whole mess, either way. Cheers

I would also like to thank Klei and the developers, all their decisions have resulted in this incredible and wonderful game we have today, I am very happy for the warmth we are receiving on the consoles, and I know that it took a lot of effort and dedication from them, thanks to all developers that provide us with this incredible gaming experience, and always count on my support :wilson_love:

• Like 2

i mean, he's been modded back in an has fanart

for now you can make him like an offical mod charzcter, that way he always lives in people's hearts

isn't that lovely
:purpleheart:

also I love old character so can we get another

just woodlegs and warly

Greatness for the Grays
wickerbottom sucks though