Rate the new "expressive upgrade"  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What you think of the new "expressive upgrade"

• 5 - It's super awesome, it added tons of new content to the game
    • 4 - Its cool
    • 3 - I've seen worse
    • 2 - I've played for it for a day or two and thats it
    • 1 - We deserve better than this.

I like that they are adding break time scheduling and work time.  As long as they increase the control we have over it, I'm happy.

Also, I can understand why this update has less content than the last few.  The last few were huge and there were bugs in the Cosmic Update that had to be resolved, which probably cut in to development time for this update.

I like the more behavior of Duplicants because I like seeing cute Duplicants do cute things, but I would like to see more 'Reason' and 'Purpose' for it. Like venting about issues lowering the duration of bad thoughts, Duplicants suffering from loneliness or being more Introverted (They become uneasy in crowded work space). 

The Quality of Life system still feels very out of touch and needs balance, in which the only way to do it in my opinion is to add more methods of Recreation, like tasty Drinks, nice places to hang out (Super high decor areas or places with a view towards the stars) To balance it out, some Duplicants having grudges against some Recreation methods so they won't participate in it. With that, they could've made that fulfilling Duplicants needs is a less strict system where you can tackle it in different ways, other than pretty places and sufficiently good food which we had before, but with so little ways of Recreation, it just cannot be done. Now it feels like a checklist that doesn't encourage an inch of variety.

Recreation satisfication should be just like any other thing in this game, it has extra steps to it. Building a videogame Cabinet is just... build a videogame cabinet, not much to it. Hanging out by Water coolers isn't very complex either, it is just what it is.

If drinks would be added you could make a dissolving pill you make in an Apothecary, each pill is capable of converting say, 100kg of water, drop enough pills in a water pool until it turns into the juice, pump it up and use a bottling machine which needs glass, and then there you go. There could be a new 'Scenery bench' which duplicants can sit on and watch the decor. But it requires *really* high levels of Decor to begin to give QoL. Each 150 of decor can give +1 QoL, maxes at +3 QoL. And the videogame cabinet will be worn out after some time, and will need a smart Scientist to rework it which soaks up a lot of time. And of course, duplicants will go out and spectate the stars sometimes if they can do it with an Exosuit/While being protected.

You see, there shouldn't be too many ways to do it, but with it being expanded, you can think of multiple ways to meet the QoL needs. Got water to waste, make drinks! This dupe doesnt want to drink tasty stuff? Get Longhair slicksters and all your best art in a room and let them watch it, no? Not that either? Then you could feed them rare food. Now it feels less like a bland 'checklist' instead of multiple choices. With the several QoL aquirements being, Toilets? Check. Bedrooms? Check. ´Messhall? Check. It isn't a question of 'Should I?' at all, seriously, every sane person should have these 3. Come on. 

It`s not a big update but a needed one. It`s not as flashy as the cosmic that adds a new biome and a ton of possibilities. It`s one that does a lot of the stuff that needs to be done for the game to be complete but there`s never time to do it. Also they keep adding new stuff to it so it might end even better.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:06 PM, Chastomber said:

Are they still dropping stuff? i thought they ended their current task first...

They'll drop everything once break time starts.

This is incorrect.  I have seen both jobs and deliveries being completed as well as being immediately dropped for breaktime.  It *might* have to do with bathroom requirements, but I can't be sure.  All I can be sure about is there's some of 'Drop it now', and some of 'Finish this delivery or construction, then go party'.

So effectively, until they give us work shifts, all that's really been done is to extend the non-productive part of the cycle into what used to be productive time.

1 hour ago, Chastomber said:

Are they still dropping stuff? i thought they ended their current task first...

Having them end whatever task they are doing before running off to take a break, pee, eat, sleep, etc. is what we would like to see implemented.  Not what was implemented.

I'm seriously hoping that Dupes become a lot more interesting if I have to sit there watching them with my thumb up my @$$ for 1/4 of every 10 minute cycle.  Sure, I could get some unpaused construction setup while they slept, but this is extreme.

I enjoy that there's the "option" to setup a schedule for them to eat and pee and it's a bit of fun to see them hold conversations even if they all boil down to: 

"What do you think of electrical cables?" "Electrical cables?" "Electrical cables!!" "I don't like electrical cables." "Electrical cables are bad."

I like the EU so far. A little more than a month ago I made a suggestion to add interactions between dupes. "Hey bud that's my job " I think was the name of the thread.

I was looking primarily for interactions when dupes were on the wrong workstation or for compliment for a well done job. 

What I would like to see when the preview branch ends is that devs add the other end of the spectrum too, quarrels between dupes and such. (Maybe lifelong feuds between gossmans and stinkys) :wilson_laugh:

It's okay as a part of the whole game so far, but as a single update for the testers, it is the worst so far!

Normally I play with each update a new colony, but not with this one. Too small are the changes. And personally for me, not worth to start a new game.

I have to think about the game.

What are the goals of the developers ?

EA is a good solution to collect all the ideas from the people, but on the other side, it's also a bad part!

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

What should the main game experience be ? I have played many of your updates and the game tends more and more to an microtransaction game. The daytime is split in different times, that will effect the whole game. Now, u need much more time (cycles) to do the same as before. I mentioned it in other threads: "Don't make a waiting game!" But u do exactly what I warned u.

The people that play your game, play YOUR game, and not yours. As a developer and game designer. U must know, what the game should be. And u decide, what the people should think of. Suggestions from the customers are sometimes a good thing! But at first, it must fit with your game!

There might be some massive underlying system for dupe interactions, but gameplay wise all we have to do is put some boring buildings in certain places. That's very akin to Outbreak Update, system which is vastly ignored (by placing those boring buildings in certain places) by anyone who's not a total beginner. BOOOORING

6 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

There might be some massive underlying system for dupe interactions, but gameplay wise all we have to do is put some boring buildings in certain places. That's very akin to Outbreak Update, system which is vastly ignored (by placing those boring buildings in certain places) by anyone who's not a total beginner. BOOOORING

and now with transformer change, conductive wire is essentially useless.  If you need two transformers, might as well use regular wire and two circuits.  Makes no sense to me.

As far of rec time, you, the player, now have unfun down time while dups sit around and do nothing.  Not a good tradeoff for having sync bathroom and food times.

no, still only forced to have 1 with a batter after it to run an aquatuner, but if you run the tuner constantly the battery will eventually drain.  On any gaps in operation it would begin recharging, assuming there was power on the other side of the transformer.....

2 hours ago, DustFireSky said:

It's okay as a part of the whole game so far, but as a single update for the testers, it is the worst so far!

Normally I play with each update a new colony, but not with this one. Too small are the changes. And personally for me, not worth to start a new game.

Ok if your a bit more experienced, I think you will do the same that I do: Increase the difficulty (fatalistic and miserable)

=> So this update altered the game just a little but it had one of the biggest impacts on the overall difficulty

(Less worktime per dupe => Slower progression towards sustainability => More problems to solve on the way ^^)

If the poll was changed to be without the trolling "ton of content" part, that we already know it won't add.it would be much easier to take it seriously.

The update doesn't add much contentment in the traditional sense, but change the fundamental mechanic of a big part of the game.

While the content is tiny it's has a huge effect and has profound effect, that I personally think make the dupe experiencing way better.

9 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

When OU first came out it was far from boring, germs were severe etc. But people complained and we have what we have now

49 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

When OU first came out it was far from boring, germs were severe etc. But people complained and we have what we have now

I never noticed them being severe (AFAIK the only nerf they got was how quickly they spread). The way you dealt with them hasn't ever changed and was and is boring (just like EU additions).

I still struggle seeing how can anyone say EU gameplay additions are riveting for them. The only additions are 3 buildings you put in one room. You as a player don't interact with them.

Is this the direction, people who obsess about self sustainability and base running itself, want the game to go to? Just sitting in front of your screen watching **** happen? At least make it more interesting than some chat bubbles.

54 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

The way you dealt with them hasn't ever changed

Now that is the truth! People complained about it when all they had to do was build sinks XD

55 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Just sitting in front of your screen watching **** happen?

Wait.... **** happens???? I havnt seen anything happen. Did i miss something.... all mine do is stand about boringly. :p (Yes i am having a laugh, I personally find this update poorly done and now 1 third of my day is sitting waiting for it to pass. 

I have not really tested this update yet. Because no new world is needed I took my 77 Dupes base from CU. The frame rate breakdown in this preview is not so bad, I can play well with ~20 frames.

Unfortunately, I started before the toilet patch and my Dupes have pissed on my half base. 8 toilets for 77 Dupes are (were) too few.

If the patch comes with the time planning, I will risk another look

Archived