Rate the new "expressive upgrade"  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What you think of the new "expressive upgrade"

• 5 - It's super awesome, it added tons of new content to the game
    • 4 - Its cool
    • 3 - I've seen worse
    • 2 - I've played for it for a day or two and thats it
    • 1 - We deserve better than this.

Its better than the Endless Sands upgrade.

Moving a tiny bit from Factorio into real colony management, but its still way to tiny. At least I can keep them working 100% of the time, still not enough to remove all this stupid sand.

16 hours ago, abud said:

I'm wondering how many players changed their opinion since those cool scheduling feature released.

I think it`s better now. The early phase was very unfinished almost like they barely managed to do it in time. Now it has some interesting parts. I will probably start a new colony just beacause my old one is such a mess after 300 cycles (it always happens) and i just want it to be a more clean design. I could do it now but better to wait for the update to go liive.

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:30 PM, chemie said:

As far of rec time, you, the player, now have unfun down time while dups sit around and do nothing.  Not a good tradeoff for having sync bathroom and food times.

Got to agree here. I was about to post the same thing but saw this before I did. It's just a load more thumb twiddling added to the sleep cycle.

I suppose you can do some building planning, but still...

1 hour ago, Oozinator said:

They can always work - 0% stress.

Give dupes some love, will you? Otherwise, they might want to stage a coup later.

Probably devs will tweak some value regarding stress and energy later. Enjoy being dictator while you can.

Just now, abud said:

Give dupes some love, will you? Otherwise, they might want to stage a coup later.

Probably devs will tweak some value regarding stress and energy later. Enjoy being dictator while you can.

I hope so, before it goes live, because the EU is feeling  "flat" for me in it's current state..

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, abud said:

I'm wondering how many players changed their opinion since those cool scheduling feature released.

It's... there.  I don't see how it gives me any more 'fun' in the game, nor more enjoyable challenge.  The leisure time system requires you to either accept its existence, or you are constantly forcing your dupes into a starve and eat scenario, which doesn't help any with them avoiding abandoning shifts. 

I've tried stress testing an early colony (up to around cycle 36 now).  Removing the sleep cycle gives you time back, significantly.  A single sleep block should be able to keep everything up and running and keeping the timers reasonable so they're not halfway to the oil biome when they want to take a nap.

Depending on how long your dupes are chewing for (not a sentence I would ever thinks was necessary, but it's been there forever) will help control the eating problems to not skip the sleep cycle.  So far I've managed to work it out to a leisure (for food) single square, bathroom square, sleep square (to start the snooze process), then two more bathroom squares.  It's certainly not perfect but it does keep the work shift mostly in place.

The thing is... is this fun?  No.  It is slightly amusing to work out the most optimal setup, but there is nothing 'fun' about watching dupes eat and poop.  All I'm trying to do is condense the event to the smallest time necessary to get *back* to the fun.  That's about the only thing I like about it so far, more efficient poop schedules.

I still don't like the upgrade.  It's here to stay and I'll do my best to make it have the least notice as possible to my enjoyment.

EDIT: Adopted a new method that seems to get the bathroom swarm enough time to push through when I'm running lower amounts of bathrooms.  I'm currently running 3:1 dupe/lavatory in the main housing.  What I have found, so far, is my best Schedule runs as follows (all other time on duty): Bth 1 | Bed 1 | Bth 1 | Bed 2 | Liesure 1.  Add to the Bed 2 any additional squares you might need to make sure all your sleeping beauties get enough sleep for the day while you start constructing extra bathrooms.

This lets the low stamina dupes get enough chances to go to sleep if you're tight on your bathroom count, otherwise they don't actually go to sleep and end up at less than 50% stamina and have lunch.  That's not good when they decide to crash in the impending water slide! XD  Btw, you can manually move any sleeping dupe to have them go pass out again somewhere safer, if you know it's a problem.

I think the intent was to add a little depth to the dupes you're leading and give you reasons provide them with more than the bare minimum to survive. It feels inspired by Rimworld, but that game is purpose built to generate stories about your colonists whereas ONI has a focus on systems building. I guess for some of us the dupes can never be anything more than the worker bees they have been up until now.

I think this is also a way to encourage those of us who run small colonies to take on more dupes and divide them into shifts to have a workforce available for most of the cycle or even around the clock. I guess I'll figure all of that out once it goes live. :)

Archived