122 members have voted

1. 1. What you think of the new "expressive upgrade"

• 5 - It's super awesome, it added tons of new content to the game
    • 4 - Its cool
    • 3 - I've seen worse
    • 2 - I've played for it for a day or two and thats it
    • 1 - We deserve better than this.

4 minutes ago, Tzunki said:

Unfortunately, I started before the toilet patch and my Dupes have pissed on my half base. 8 toilets for 77 Dupes are (were) too few.

You need to build an Ark and take two of each dupe and critter!

5 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

Wait.... **** happens???? I havnt seen anything happen. Did i miss something....

Just now, Tzunki said:

.. and my Dupes have pissed on my half base. 8 toilets for 77 Dupes are (were) too few....

So far... its something Klei wants in the game, and thats just fine. But as long as the preview-limitations are in place. there is no more as a sneek-peak for me, because of very poor performance. (around cycle 30 it starts to be unplayable, and at 50 its a dead end). So, just wating for the things to come and the release of this feature.

On 16/07/2018 at 6:13 PM, BlueLance said:

I think the actual topic is a bit premature, once the scheduling comes out I think this would be more relevant.

This. It's a bit of a pointless exercise debating pre-release content to be fair, as it so frequently receives patches/fixes.

In my opinion the worst mistake Klei have made with this game to date was removing closed testing, as a lot of the changes made recently would have been very different if a few members of the community had been given the opportunity for their input.

I do worry a little that whoever is playing the game/testing in Klei HQ is more interested in "merch" than actual game quality. The fact that dupes are getting QOL improvements, yet the community is left feeling short changed and somewhat shafted is a little ironic to me. 

That said, as ever - it's early access and just one update in an ongoing improvement curve. Sometimes we may have to bite the bullet of "zero-content" patches for such behavioural features to be implemented. That's to be expected, and understandable. What doesn't make sense however are changes to things (for example transformers), without any addition of supplementary content.

Me personally, i'm rapidly losing interest in the game. The Cosmic upgrade paired with this recent pre-release leave me with little to no desire to start a fresh playthrough. We need the "Super Mega Machinery Upgrade", or "Heck Loads of Biomes Upgrade" to hurry up and get here in my opinion. We have too little "kit" or variation in our games to get creative with, I mean just look at the barren wasteland of builds posted to the forums recently... Aside from a few boiler/melter builds, we've been left with people trying to reinvent the wheel with "YET ANOTHER MORB FARM BUILD" or "HERES HOW I DOES MY FOOD"... it's sad.

Based off of the forums/reddit/steam, the general player base has changed a lot in the last few months. I see an awful lot of "early players" disappearing, an awful lot of completely baffled new players, and a handful of "just content to be here" players.

The game feels stifled and stunted to me.

Again, just my 2cents - but I think it'd be really interesting to maybe have one of the dev streams be a statement about the future plans of the game. I don't mean a Q&A where it'll be sidetracked into random fluff, but an actual structured piece to share some insight. We've all repeatedly seen the first 15-20 cycles of the game being played out poorly, we don't need any more of that. What we need is a little glimpse into what the future holds for the game, and maybe an idea of where this game is intended to fit - lord knows it doesn't seem to be a simulation any more...

@Cheerio any chance of this ?

5 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Again, just my 2cents - but I think it'd be really interesting to maybe have one of the dev streams be a statement about the future plans of the game. I don't mean a Q&A where it'll be sidetracked into random fluff, but an actual structured piece to share some insight.

@Cheerio any chance of this ?

I second this as a great idea, I mean I get that people are busy working but if there is a thread made for questions I don't see how it can be that hard to answer 10 of those a day or week in a stream, or even in the thread. 

Streamers can answer lots of questions whilst they are streaming, Youtubers reply to comments. Heck even the president of the united states seems to have time to reply to tweets and he is a single person. An Updated Roadmap would also go a long way. 

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

This. It's a bit of a pointless exercise debating pre-release content to be fair, as it so frequently receives patches/fixes.

This gets shoved around forums after each and every update anytime someone leaves any negative comment. Yet apparently it's opposite of what devs expect of us (from EU notes):

We encourage you to comment on the game as you're currently experiencing it, as we'll be considering your feedback while we develop these systems.

I do fully agree on all other points though.

This game really needs an endgame (like 2 updates ago) and that in my opinion should be priority no.1. You can fill in the gaps as you fit after. ONI is feature rich unfinished game (Early Access duh!), but for me the EA it dragging for too long, and at this moment I'd prefer finished game with missing features.

2 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Based off of the forums/reddit/steam, the general player base has changed a lot in the last few months. I see an awful lot of "early players" disappearing

Is this really unexpected?  The game is in early access and is being updated eight times a year.  That's not exactly a breakneck pace.  Given the slow pace of progression, I've assumed many of those who jumped in early would reach a point where they've had their fill and need to set the game aside, at least for a while.

I really want to see more biomes added and the world gen changed to provide more variety in the maps. Even to the point where not every biome is in every map.  Right now the only real variation between maps is the geysers.  

11 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

I really want to see more biomes added and the world gen changed to provide more variety in the maps. Even to the point where not every biome is in every map.  Right now the only real variation between maps is the geysers.  

I would kill for a new biome!

If we try to think about it?
What the hell is regime observance on the meteore, which flies through space?
Everyone should work all day while there is work, and when there is no work please go rest.
It will be amusing, when during working hours, in the absence of work, Dupes will stand and collect bugs in his nose.
And during the break run to play in the rest room.
Well damn..
even if we imagine that this is a social update, Klei can also figure out what kind of social device could happen in the future, especially in a situation like this - Dupes is trying to survive.
Why they need a special break time

I see people complain about the update that it doesn`t actually bring anything new and just makes aour life harder. IMO it`s just a cleanup update. They adressed a system that needed work and fix some things (making the transformers less effecive along the way).

What puzzled me is that decor is not a part of QoL system from what i`ve seen and is just a secondary stress modifier build on that. I thought the plan was to move all the stress systems into one and that`s not what happened. Or did i misunderstood how it works now? I`m just watching streams and waiting for it to go live before i try it myself.

7 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

What system Needed work XD decor and food quality were things

Well maybe it wasn`t that badly needed ok. I just meant they cleaned up all the stress modifiers and put it in one place. They seem to preemptively organise stuff before it gets too complicated. It`s something i need to do in my base designs.

19 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Well maybe it wasn`t that badly needed ok. I just meant they cleaned up all the stress modifiers and put it in one place. They seem to preemptively organise stuff before it gets too complicated. It`s something i need to do in my base designs.

I am only teasing don't worry :) Although I honestly preferred the older system

As a veteran PC player I always thought that what makes a game durable is the abilitiy to specialize. What I mean by that, is a series of machanics on any given game for building a colony/empire/war machine/character in a specilized way.

Lets take ie, a dnd character. U could build a character multiclasing or jack-of-all-trades. Said character would be somehow useful in many, different, situations, but when going agains a very hard opponent he would fall short. On the other hand, a specialized character wouln't do well in many situations but could otherwise shine on a right one.

How does this traslate on a game like ONI?

Well, as it is now, every system has its pros and cons, but there's really no trade off. U can use water for something and u wouldn't be using it for something else, yes. But what if we were presented with a system that made u REALLY sacrifice some "abilities" in exchange for having some other relly shine.

ie, we have a few mayor "areas" in the game. Lets say, Machines, Power, Flora and fauna, etc. (this are just examples). As of right now u can u can build them all, use them all and once u build them all avery colony is just (more or less) the same. What if u could chose to build different types of colonies. One could "look" very industrious while another one could "fell" like an elysium garden.

If u chose the first one it is going to be, somehow, difficult to gather organic ingredients but with and industrialized colony u can get the most of everything u have. Also the glumy and industrious feel is going to make the dupes somewhat sad.

On the other hand going for the "eco" approach is gonna be food and and organic wise rich, but it is going to be harder to get some adavanced high tier items (or something like that).

Obviuosly, this is a place holder of an idea, but i hope u get the point!

EDIT: @Lifegrow I wrote this after reading your large post... 

16 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Increase the difficulty (fatalistic and miserable)

(Less worktime per dupe => Slower progression towards sustainability => More problems to solve on the way ^^)

I am experienced. I play colonies for round about 1500 cycles. I could play harder difficulties, yes, but like u said: Less worktime per dupe => Slower progression towards sustainability => More problems to solve on the way ^^

I personally complained about the "waiting parts" and u counsel me to increase the difficult to have more waiting parts ? I would personally increase the difficulty, if the buildings need much more resources  or the important resources are fewer on the map. More stress and a miserable immune-system only works if it doen't mean, i have to wait to death. U understand. A higher difficulty doesn't mean, your progress is slower!  

28 minutes ago, DustFireSky said:

I personally complained about the "waiting parts" and u counsel me to increase the difficult to have more waiting parts ?

A higher difficulty doesn't mean, your progress is slower!  

Ok, I don´t like the waiting parts either. (The night was a (to) long enough idle time for me ...)

My statement wasn´t that it´s good that everything takes longer, but this change had the biggest impact on the difficulty so far.

It´s not about making your progress slower, more about making dupes less efficient (60Kg oxygen for 400s or 525s worktime is a big difference)

20 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

"Super Mega Machinery Upgrade"

That sounds lovely if the next update is focused more on adding more tools to the game.

I really want this game to succeed and I really feel this game can be bigger if we get more content to it much faster.  Personally, when I am playing ONI, I feel like I am playing Minecraft(with Dups = Villagers or something). The feeling where you can build anything or anyone but compare to Minecraft, ONI seems to be lacking tools to achieve different goals. I know that Minecraft didn't just become a sensation overnight. But the developer of the game should really put more investment in this game, they really got something in here. If they really make the correct decision the game can be larger than Minecraft( I really hope they listen more to the players).

I'm kind of on the fence about the update until the scheduling button is enabled.

If the button allows us to adjust the sleeping schedule of the duplicants then a lot of the downtime could be reduced, as comfy beds and barracks bonuses will assist in keeping stamina above 70% which will permit a much shorter sleeping schedule. This I feel would make breaks more valuable and less noticeable by not having sleep cut into the work schedule so drastically as it does right now.

The other thing I'm strongly hoping for is that the schedules enable individual dupes to be assigned day/night shifts, so there's downtime for some of the dupes but not the player.  Having this around the clock workflow would introduce new challenges of having to train more dupes such as day chef and night chef to ensure both shifts are well fed and ready for the tasks ahead of them.  This would fit the game perfectly and keep us from getting bored.

However, if the schedule does not permit such customization then I will be vastly disappointed and place this update in the "What could have been great" pile.

2 hours ago, Oni Noob said:

That sounds lovely if the next update is focused more on adding more tools to the game.

I really want this game to succeed and I really feel this game can be bigger if we get more content to it much faster.  Personally, when I am playing ONI, I feel like I am playing Minecraft(with Dups = Villagers or something). The feeling where you can build anything or anyone but compare to Minecraft, ONI seems to be lacking tools to achieve different goals. I know that Minecraft didn't just become a sensation overnight. But the developer of the game should really put more investment in this game, they really got something in here. If they really make the correct decision the game can be larger than Minecraft( I really hope they listen more to the players).

I really hope they listen to your wise words and take it serious.
You have strong feelings about ONI and for a developer that's much more worth, then a bicycle with 21 gears.
I have strong feelings, when i play ONI too!
43% Settlers 2 (without expansion)
32% Astroneers (because of the "spacy" part)
11,3% GTA 5 because of the action (when a pipe breaks)
Rest % is a mixed feeling of doom and airportmanager.
I think it will be hard to be greater then minecraft, map still feels small and MC maps are big, sometimes i can not see the end of the world, even when i use flyhack to fly high (can see further). Flyhack in MC feels similar to me, like using debug tool in ONI and that's the reason i think it could be measured against each other game very well.
Edit: Sry i have to go now

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/93673-cute-update-12ranching-now-social-update-1expressive/

"I would like to suggest insulated doors, high pressure gas pipes, gas tanks, a 1000 ton`s compactor storage skip, nuclear reactor stuff, fire hazard and firefighting equipment, robot construction and robotic helpers/assemblers, dupes building their own construction ladders/scaffolding to erect and build placed blueprints, medic job/rescue team dupe jobs, heavy drilling equipment ( which has to be assembled on-site ) for tunnels on some hard special materials etc., some kind of boss enemies or threats ( how cool would it be to setup and sacrifice resources to setup a small defence army ), motor production for whatever creative use ( used in a large construction crane, in vehicles or some hydraulic machinery ) etc.

Give us the atomic age, there is so much which could go wrong on that, it would give us some adrenaline joy !!!"

4 hours ago, babba said:

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/93673-cute-update-12ranching-now-social-update-1expressive/

"I would like to suggest insulated doors, high pressure gas pipes, gas tanks, a 1000 ton`s compactor storage skip, nuclear reactor stuff, fire hazard and firefighting equipment, robot construction and robotic helpers/assemblers, dupes building their own construction ladders/scaffolding to erect and build placed blueprints, medic job/rescue team dupe jobs, heavy drilling equipment ( which has to be assembled on-site ) for tunnels on some hard special materials etc., some kind of boss enemies or threats ( how cool would it be to setup and sacrifice resources to setup a small defence army ), motor production for whatever creative use ( used in a large construction crane, in vehicles or some hydraulic machinery ) etc.

Give us the atomic age, there is so much which could go wrong on that, it would give us some adrenaline joy !!!"

yes to all...

So far, my only request for devs: add option to skip game time, starting from break time and ending by morning. This time is mostly useless, and let simulation run at top possible speed will be good idea.

And you may skip graphics. Looking dupes go to lavatory or sleeping is fun only first ten cycles. Same boring routines cycle after cycle just time waste.

But, BTW, if some part of game is useless for players, does it really needed?

Archived