Rate the new "expressive upgrade"  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What you think of the new "expressive upgrade"

• 5 - It's super awesome, it added tons of new content to the game
    • 4 - Its cool
    • 3 - I've seen worse
    • 2 - I've played for it for a day or two and thats it
    • 1 - We deserve better than this.

my expression of this update is rolled eyes . a grumpy look at the clock and annoyed count of idle till nap time..

i liked everything but the work change an additional cut to productivity presumably to stretch out game play but with with the effect of reminding me that every dupe action already cost me 50% of what was there

Exceedingly underwhelming. I'm not sure why they couldn't implement the scheduler with the initial release.

As it is, this is one more reason why I want a way to select a specific release for play. I'm not sure I care for the expressive update at all, and will probably stop playing ONI if they force it on us.

I had a test play of the new update at 0.1 frames per second. Im looking forward to the toilet fiasco with my 127 current dupes and 8 toilets. Ive just imaged how it would be if dupes pop out kaka and throw it at each other, like in a snowball battle. I think the beer is getting to my head.

A couple of Notes I'd like to add in regards to EU generally.

The new break system, particularly when being overridden with doors at the printing pod and never building a break room, is actually more efficient.  Since I've begun using a 'no break room anywhere' setup, I can even get the plumber to drop by and plunge a dirty outhouse.

This new system is even more weighted towards having areas for dupes to work in, like barracks and common meal rooms, then ever before.  We need to be able to have hotbunks and meal rooms at building areas to deal with end of cycle movement before tubes, because tubes are way too expensive until you've already had materials and time to have built pretty much everything else.  Any scheduler, like mid-day meals or whatnot, would have the same issue.  This issue has been ongoing, but I feel like it highlights more effectively than before with the break system.

The QOL system as mentioned in other places needs more fleshing out.  Fried Mushrooms, BBQ, and most of the upper end food tend to feed a dupe for 2 days, but the bonus from eating only lasts 1 day.  Additionally the QOL vs. Décor system needs to either be implemented, or the 10% QOL / -20% Décor bonus should balance out as a static 0, allowing anything else to force it higher or lower.  Time to build Art Spam vs. time for dupes to relax should end up balancing out roughly equally.  If the dupes can party, they shouldn't need me spamming 400kg of granite all over, and if my artist is overly enthusiastic, they shouldn't need to hit the clubs every night.

There are still cases where I feel that the enforced food/toilet times for the dupes could be improved, but in general, barring the mandatory nightly clubbing, I think it's a good component.  Particularly overloaded bathroom usage uses up sleep time for the dupes who are already easily hitting 100% stamina and could use a good excuse to go do *anything* at that point.

2 hours ago, chemie said:

We players have to take a break every cycle with the dups.  Not fun for you? Too bad.

No need to hate me bro,  I started this topic because I want the game to improve for all of us.

50 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

they shouldn't need to hit the clubs every night.

They don't have to.  The buff for games and dancing last a bit more than 3 cycles.  You can arrange it so the room only accessible once every 3 days using automation.

1 minute ago, Zarquan said:

They don't have to.  The buff for games and dancing last a bit more than 3 cycles.  You can arrange it so the room only accessible once every 3 days using automation.

Out of curiosity, what cycle of gameplay do you usually have refined metals and automation available?

13 minutes ago, WanderingKid said:

Out of curiosity, what cycle of gameplay do you usually have refined metals and automation available?

I rush them (after meal prep and artistic expression) so I can get a coal generator with a smart battery.  Usually by cycle 15. 

EDIT:  I just remembered that when I did that, I had 2 5 learning researchers, getting one of them at cycle 6, which was lucky.  I think 15 cycles was a fast time when I clocked it.  I'll start a colony tonight and see how long it takes with a single researcher.

14 minutes ago, Oni Noob said:

No need to hate me bro,  I started this topic because I want the game to improve for all of us.

Not trying to hate you or anyone.  It was an attempt at humor and sarcasm towards klei given that I am fine with real life game concepts but this is a game.  Break time does not add anything to the fun.

We got a small update because of summer vacations, I think. People need to relax about this game. 

For my part I really like that decor, food & leisure expectations were merged into one single QoL system. It opens up the possibility for different means of attaining high QoL. Of course it needs to be finished and balanced. I assume that eventually the stress bonus will scale depending on how far the QoL value is from one's expectation.

I guess that implementing a break time without a mean to manage it was a mistake. But it's temporary. Since I often pause anyway when placing stuff to build, it just means that for now there is less pausing when dupes are in break time while I assign some new job to do. It would be better to have 100% work uptime, just saying that its not so bad.

If there is going to be leisure time, I'd really love to see some things implemented that reflect real world leisure while also raising stats.  Like in the sims.  Books for reading and upping intelligence, exercise equipment to build athletics, treadmills to increase speed, television that reduces stress, and so on.  People do these things for leisure in real life, and usually for similar reasons.  Without having actually tried the beta update yet, from my past experience with the game, and what I am gleaning from these comments, I really feel like leisure has very limited outlets.

I'd also really like to see caregiver become a full job including making medicines, prioritizing aiding unwell dupes in the medical room, going out of their way to keep a sterile germ free environment...

It would also be nice to have a kitchen room added to the room templates (Ie.. must contain fridge, grill, etc) that adds a bonus to cooking time, or calories, or quality, or whatever.

There should be a bonus on stress or quality of living for having dupes in rooms rather in open, well asteroid. I actually excited I'm hoping to get more along the lines of mini dupes and population control elements, and the whole human existence as in I don't like this person so I refuse to work with them. :)

9 hours ago, WanderingKid said:

I would be really interested in seeing your early build order and how you get there that quickly.

I built it on cycle 10 with a quite lousy starting position. This is on fatalistic and miserable.  I ignored the litter on the ground and am managing to maintain around 70% stress on my highest stress people without any significant upward trends.  My next priority would be to put paintings over the beds and mesh tiles underneath, as decor still goes through.  I also plan on draining my polluted water in to that pocket of hydrogen.

I put the research stations around the printing pod so the scientist wouldn't get stressed.  I had my miner do some research once I had excavated enough, but he wasn't very good at it.  Usually, I would have researched artistic expression first, but I didn't select a dupe with enough creativity to be the artist and create masterpieces, so I probably got it a cycle or two early.  Attached is a day-by-day build.

Also, I am proud to say I maintained perfect 100% immunity.  They tried to eat a muckroot in the bathroom, but I managed to stop them.

Luxury Rat's Nest -- 10.zip

On 18.07.2018 at 3:07 AM, SharraShimada said:

So far... its something Klei wants in the game, and thats just fine. But as long as the preview-limitations are in place. there is no more as a sneek-peak for me, because of very poor performance. (around cycle 30 it starts to be unplayable, and at 50 its a dead end). So, just wating for the things to come and the release of this feature.

Im on cycle 200 and i have 0 lag...

8 hours ago, Honsey said:

Im on cycle 200 and i have 0 lag...

And this is supposed to help me in any way? Yeah i know, my computer is far from state of the art. But it runs fine with stable versions. But everytime i try alpha-preview it starts lagging, due to logging i think. 

Be happy you dont have this issue. 

14 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I built it on cycle 10 with a quite lousy starting position. This is on fatalistic and miserable.  <snip>  Attached is a day-by-day build.

Thank you for that.  I can see how you could get there now by delaying a lot of other things.  It is a significantly different setup then I typically take.

On 7/19/2018 at 7:10 AM, Yucie said:

I'm kind of on the fence about the update until the scheduling button is enabled.

If the button allows us to adjust the sleeping schedule of the duplicants then a lot of the downtime could be reduced, as comfy beds and barracks bonuses will assist in keeping stamina above 70% which will permit a much shorter sleeping schedule. This I feel would make breaks more valuable and less noticeable by not having sleep cut into the work schedule so drastically as it does right now.

The other thing I'm strongly hoping for is that the schedules enable individual dupes to be assigned day/night shifts, so there's downtime for some of the dupes but not the player.  Having this around the clock workflow would introduce new challenges of having to train more dupes such as day chef and night chef to ensure both shifts are well fed and ready for the tasks ahead of them.  This would fit the game perfectly and keep us from getting bored.

However, if the schedule does not permit such customization then I will be vastly disappointed and place this update in the "What could have been great" pile.

An update to what I wrote seems necessary now that the scheduler is released.

The schedule manager accomplishes exactly what I was hoping for and can be fine tuned to ensure the most work time as possible from comfy bed duplicants.  Plus the wonderful day/night shift crews that mean no downtime for the player anymore is much loved in my book.

This brings the update to a loving note from me and I look forward to the refined scheduler.

On 20.07.2018 at 11:12 AM, SharraShimada said:

And this is supposed to help me in any way? Yeah i know, my computer is far from state of the art. But it runs fine with stable versions. But everytime i try alpha-preview it starts lagging, due to logging i think. 

Be happy you dont have this issue. 

All games lag when playing in alpha-previews acctualy.

Archived