Wilson Is NOT a HEALER

Explain please: Do you want to say that Wilson is not a healer in general or he's not a healer in The Forge?

When I played The Forge for the 1st time, I also picked Wilson and took the Living Staff just to heal and to revive my teammates. He was pretty fine because I could heal and revive my teammates.

Just because Wickerbottom and Winona have perks which affect the Living staff doesn't mean that they're the only healers ingame, Wilson is still a nice healer, especially for the beginners here.

Every staff user other than Wicker/Max have some niche perk whick can contribute positively to her/his healing role:

- Willow/Wendy have their pets for distraction.

- Wilson players can choose the timing to revive and heal.

- Wes' perk allow him to be less targeted by mobs.

- Winona has less cooldown.

However, most people care about numbers. 

50 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Explain please: Do you want to say that Wilson is not a healer in general or he's not a healer in The Forge?

When I played The Forge for the 1st time, I also picked Wilson and took the Living Staff just to heal and to revive my teammates. He was pretty fine because I could heal and revive my teammates.

Just because Wickerbottom and Winona have perks which affect the Living staff doesn't mean that they're the only healers ingame, Wilson is still a nice healer, especially for the beginners here.

Wilson carries a big risk if he dies as a healer. If hes dead or being harassed you're out of both a good reviver and a healer. If hes DPS and dies its not near as big of deal and healer can cast a heal to allow a rev for wilson, and if healer dies then wilson can pick them up quickly before things get too far out of control. Wilson healers can work (much more now that boarrior is around yet) but the risk still exists and many people don't want a chance of their run being ended by a single mistake.

2 hours ago, axxel said:

Every staff user other than Wicker/Max have some niche perk whick can contribute positively to her/his healing role:

Wait, what? Did you forget that Wicker can cast amplified spells? It does effect the healing staff too. So you get more potent healing from Wickerbottom. Personally, I find Wicker to be the best healer due to this, and the fact that she also has the petrifying tome for additional cc. So she not only recovers a lot of health for the team, but can lock down enemies as well.

One could also argue that Max adds in extra dps with the healing staff. But that's just about as negligible as Willow, Wendy, Wes and Wilson as the perks don't directly effect healing in any way.

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Wait, what? Did you forget that Wicker can cast amplified spells? It does effect the healing staff too. So you get more potent healing from Wickerbottom. Personally, I find Wicker to be the best healer due to this, and the fact that she also has the petrifying tome for additional cc. So she not only recovers a lot of health for the team, but can lock down enemies as well.

One could also argue that Max adds in extra dps with the healing staff. But that's just about as negligible as Willow, Wendy, Wes and Wilson as the perks don't directly effect healing in any way.

In that case, Wickerbottom would only get noticed by me as a healer if the healing circle would last twice as long.

10 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I've been trying winona with all the reduced cooldown items and I'm liking her more, I rather have the heal up most of the time, than it being more eventual but stronger.

For me Winona's boost never was worthy enough for me to pick her for The team.

People who don't use Wicker, Maxwell(if no Wicker) or Winona as a healer and aren't doing a full 1 person run are doing something wrong.

Wicker provides large amount of healing for tanks. Maxwell (although mainly a mage DPS) still can heal his team and deal decent damage with the staff. And Winona is just faster healing rate, wouldn't recommend Maxwell nor Winona personally but constant healing can be good though so yeah and better than Maxwell since he should be DMG mage.

Wilson is a reviver, NOT a healer, he shoots his dart and helps deal damage that the tanks are also tanking. But I doubt they care since from what I see most people who pick Wilson have no idea what they're doing... Even to the point of picking up armor/helmets of other people...

2 hours ago, OldFredBear said:

Wicker provides large amount of healing for tanks. Maxwell (although mainly a mage DPS) still can heal his team and deal decent damage with the staff. And Winona is just faster healing rate, wouldn't recommend Maxwell nor Winona personally but constant healing can be good though so yeah and better than Maxwell since he should be DMG mage.

Wicker’s boost is after attacking, the thing that draws enemy aggro, on the role that absolutely doesn’t want to draw aggro. On that note, Wendy and Willow come with aggro deterents. There’s an argument that while flooded with enemies, it’s those 2 whose abilities have strategic value while realizing Wicker’s boost comprises her ability to heal.

Oversimplification isn’t doing you any favors; it’s annoying, rigid, and not helping anyone.

36 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Wicker’s boost is after attacking, the thing that draws enemy aggro, on the role that absolutely doesn’t want to draw aggro. On that note, Wendy and Willow come with aggro deterents. There’s an argument that while flooded with enemies, it’s those 2 whose abilities have strategic value while realizing Wicker’s boost comprises her ability to heal.

Oversimplification isn’t doing you any favors; it’s annoying, rigid, and not helping anyone.

Wicker is a poor choice for healing, even with her infrequent boost. The only reason I ever pick Wicker is when there is a Maxwell for the two petrification books. Winona is the best healer overall in the game, not only does she have 200 health, her extra cool down makes her able to heal MUCH MORE damage throughout the whole game.

If I'm playing with competent people though, I will be a Wilson healer.

On 11/6/2018 at 1:02 PM, axxel said:

- Willow/Wendy have their pets for distraction.

- Wilson players can choose the timing to revive and heal.

- Wes' perk allow him to be less targeted by mobs.

- Winona has less cooldown.

However, most people care about numbers. 

-What's exactly stopping Bernie and Abigail from grabing aggro away from other players besides their respective characters? Mage Willow's bernie can still eat up some hits from Boarrior while the whole time is attacking the thing, same as Abigail. 

That and Abigail is going to be dead for 90% of the time, so you may as well pick any character that isn't here for any role.

-Wilson healer, as already mentioned, isn't safe - considering how the very moment your reviver/healer dies, it's hard to get back up.

-Wes also has, if I remebered correctly, the 2nd lowest HP in the game. And when he gets aggroed, go luck shaking it off.

At least Winona can make sure Boarrior only gets a handful of hits before he goes night-night - giving reviver more time to rev someone. 

Wicker also can potentially full heal a team if charged, which is definitely more helpful than "lol Abigail is dead again."

51 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Wicker’s boost is after attacking, the thing that draws enemy aggro, on the role that absolutely doesn’t want to draw aggro. 

...which is why healer has a ranged attack and not a melee one. On that note, Hammer smash draws all the aggro from the enemy to the user. That and Wicker spawns with a tome that can completely stop groups of mobs for a while; stone-locking them if magewell decides to use both books (and I rather perfer if to attack and kill mobs one-by-one rather than have a chance of Bernie/Abigail to cluster the screen with 6 Scorpeons and needs to be rev'd)  

• Wilson is more than canon as a healer, but is ironically enough the worse choice as one since he doesn't boost heals, and he is better off as a revive/DPS. If he ends up doing both roles: good luck trying to get back up if he dies. Though honestly, you shouldn't need to be revived, but is nice to have in case of those "oh ****!" situations.
  • Willow should never be a healer... She is meant to be used with the volcanic darts, or the meteor staff. Unless you are with friends, don't do this.
  • Wendy is... a bad choice. Is a fun character, but practically has no perks considering Abigail dies so fast...
  • Wickerbottom is an amazing healer. I would say she is the second best healer after Winona, but her petrifying tome is far more useful than Winona's hammer if used correctly. Useful for when you want quality over quantity.
  • Maxwell, this one is tricky. He is specially useful when there is a Wickerbottom on team as he can juggle 2 petrifying tomes, otherwise he is dead weight until the meteor staff, but can more or less use the living staff somewhat efficiently, I think? I mean, at least is better than Wilson.
  • Winona, when you want quantity over quality, Winona is the winner. No one competes with her incredibly consistent heals.

But honestly, unless you play with friends, don't go Wilson healer.

I would say Wicker is better than Winona in the right hands and the right team, she can do enough damage to amplify all heal casts before the staff is out of cooldown as long as she does the animation cancel exploits correctly and she also has the book to make focus fire easier in an organized team.

But yeah, Winona is better in pubs. More heals = More chances for the Wilson (that they always pick for some reason) to revive. (Hopefully the Wilson won't want to heal).

And the other characters, even though they aren't the most "optimal", if they can pick a staff and know what they are doing then they can be a good healer.

3 hours ago, MasterWolf said:

Wicker is a poor choice for healing, even with her infrequent boost. The only reason I ever pick Wicker is when there is a Maxwell for the two petrification books. Winona is the best healer overall in the game, not only does she have 200 health, her extra cool down makes her able to heal MUCH MORE damage throughout the whole game.

If I'm playing with competent people though, I will be a Wilson healer.

If you're playing with competent people, they won't be dying AT ALL making bringing Wilson for anything a waste of DPS.

Winona is an ok pick because the heals also provide CC which is good if your team wants to be cautious as she can control the field easily (she will be very strong as as the community unlocks more waves and bosses, I imagine we will be fighting new waves and possibly even new mobs making her an ok pick for those unfamiliar with what lies ahead.)

With staff rapid fire charging Wickers staff is a breeze making her amplified heals much stronger than the basic heals. Even when juggling a tome you can still manage to get an amplify ready for the next heal.

Playing wicker exclusively when I play healer, I've found that juggling between CD reduction and Healing hat is more than enough for casting a good flow of heals.

Now the above things I said are because when I play I spend a good 30 minutes sometimes attempting to find competent people, so I don't have to play Wilson because no one is ever going to die and he has no healing bonuses at all, and I don't play Winona because I don't feel that with my knowledge of the current waves in forge that I need to play safe at all, I need to have strong heals to heal the one, maybe two people taking damage. Especially at the boarrior fight.

Going with as stated at the very top, Wilson is only a good pick if you're playing with people you expect to do bad.

51 minutes ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

If you're playing with competent people, they won't be dying AT ALL making bringing Wilson for anything a waste of DPS.

Winona is an ok pick because the heals also provide CC which is good if your team wants to be cautious as she can control the field easily (she will be very strong as as the community unlocks more waves and bosses, I imagine we will be fighting new waves and possibly even new mobs making her an ok pick for those unfamiliar with what lies ahead.)

With staff rapid fire charging Wickers staff is a breeze making her amplified heals much stronger than the basic heals. Even when juggling a tome you can still manage to get an amplify ready for the next heal.

Playing wicker exclusively when I play healer, I've found that juggling between CD reduction and Healing hat is more than enough for casting a good flow of heals.

Now the above things I said are because when I play I spend a good 30 minutes sometimes attempting to find competent people, so I don't have to play Wilson because no one is ever going to die and he has no healing bonuses at all, and I don't play Winona because I don't feel that with my knowledge of the current waves in forge that I need to play safe at all, I need to have strong heals to heal the one, maybe two people taking damage. Especially at the boarrior fight.

Going with as stated at the very top, Wilson is only a good pick if you're playing with people you expect to do bad.

Not necessarily true, someone can make a mistake or lag. By competent I mean more that I don't have to baby them, and they somewhat know what to do to win.

It's not about playing it safe, the healer position is the MOST important position of the game. That person controls where all the characters and the mobs go. I would actually say that wicker is really playing it safe because of the petrification, and I usually pick Maxwell or Wicker, to get the two books when I play with noobs. There should be no need for petrification with a team that actually knows what they are doing.

You can right away tell the difference with Winona, she heals so much more damage throughout a game. I don't have the numbers but I know it is a lot more. And you also have the 200 health, which means she won't go down as easily as WIcker. Sometimes playing as Wicker can be more detrimental than helpful.

There just seems to be this common belief that Wicker is better, because they believe she is better. And then actual facts are disregarded.

Wilson healer is not as good as Wicker on paper, but if he is used with an experienced team, they can go for more DPS. I mean a team of Wes can beat the Forge, hell I remember people soloing the Forge last year.

With Wilson, I can start with DPS and then be a mage/healer for the team. If a team member is nice, they'll hand me over a speed armor so I can avoid enemies faster while the other members kill off enemies while I load. The biggest problem is when the healing circle happens and players try to attack sleeping enemies, I have to avoid the sleeping circle so I can save my cooldown.

Archived