How did you learn about this game?

As the title implies how did you learn about the existence of the Don't starve games and DLC?

I learned about this game back when I was in jr. high school, in that time I use to draw comics and one of them had a character that was supposed to have a curse related to the moon, I didn't want to make him a werewolf because that was over used and it was a comedy any ways so I didn't want to get serious, so I though "what animal isn't that common to see in a curse?" and then I got the idea of a beaver, I wanted to know if someone had also though of that so I look on google " la maldicion del hombre castor" and I found this looking me dead in the eye:

Spoiler

image.png.c69e44eff0cb96c1b9e48e1ee2a3c0de.png

Something about the art style caught my attention so I wanted to know more about the source which lead me to the wiki, that didn't help much because I didn't speak english so I look for a spanish version of the wiki and I learned that it was a video game, so that year christmas I give it a try.

I first found out about this game through an obscure game that I can't remember the name of, I was watching a lot of gaming videos in 2015, it was about this possibly a hobo man who was naked but his entire body is covered with his beard, and he might have a cartoony and blocky penis, your piss corrupt the storybook that you in and at the end of every chapter something gruesome or disgusting or both happen to the main character of that story, also you get fever time when you corrupt a lot thing in a little amount of time, the aesthetic when you corrupt 50% of the story is like DST but everything is more black kinda like the visual in Lenka trouble is friend, you hop from story to story, there also a narrator, everything is like 2d paper in a 3d world but your character and things you need to avoid is 3d, I see a let's play of this game pop-up in my recommendation, and then I fell in love with the game.

8 minutes ago, Waoling said:

I first found out about this game through an obscure game that I can't remember the name of, I was watching a lot of ps3 gaming videos since I didn't have a ps3 at the time, it was about this possibly a hobo man who was naked but his entire body is cover with his beard, and he might have a cartoony and blocky penis, your piss corrupt the storybook that you in and at the end of every chapter something gruesome or disgusting or both happen to the main character of that story, also you get fever time when you corrupt a lot thing in a little amount of time, the aesthetic when you corrupt 50% of the story is like DST but everything is more black kinda like the visual in Lenka trouble is friend, you hop from story to story, there also a narrator, everything is like 2d paper in a 3d world but your character and things you need to avoid is 3d, I see a let's play of this game pop-up in my recommendation, and then I fell in love with the game.

Well that's an story, I didn't see it coming but its an story after all.

Back in 2019 I was watching old Sr Pelo videos and one of them was a showcase for his Mokey Mouse mod. I watched a video of the singleplayer's ending, YouTube recommended me Wortox's trailer which led me to Klei's channel watched the games animation and wanted to play it.

I remember the year because it was the year I created a Steam account and the Don't Starve pack was even my second purchase.

Spoiler

image.png.3e5695e68a2cd070a2fdd7b23c53d2b0.png

Saw it on the Wii U eshop

I also remember how broken it was, but I didn't notice because I was new. It felt like 30% of worlds spawned without an important world structure like pig king or glommer. I even thought their spawning was rng and not guaranteed.

Sorry to say, but don't starve ports are never seamless. Though I still love and treasure them.

I first heard about Don't Starve because BaerTaffy played it. I'd been watching his videos for a while, and then I saw that, and it looked like a fun game to me, so I bought it for myself. I got it on Wii U first and fell in love with it. Then I bought it again on Steam so that I could play Shipwrecked. And then I got DST and Hamlet. And I also bought Don't Starve on Switch, even if, as mentioned in the post before mine, the ports aren't of the best quality. Don't Starve and DST are among my favorite games of all time.

Saw it appear the day it released on Xbox Live and since I generally buy new weird games anyway just to try them out (most I buy then never bother to play…) DS was on that list, I bought it and instantly fell in love with it. Then I had to beg (& wait) for the multiplayer sequel DST to come to Xbox.

Even though I bought DST the day it released as well: I didn’t get quite as “Into” DST until Klei’s 2019 roadmap announcement that they’d rework character abilities, add new biomes, mobs & content, oh and add what back then was being teased as “Multiplayer Centric Boats”

I mostly just played Solo DS because it had a pause button,(& because I couldn’t get my family to play DST) neglecting DST for years- but now I prefer DST over DS..

I only play DS at all anymore to play the DLC expansions but if DST could use them- I would no longer play DS at all… it just feels “Outdated” no amazing reworks, no new content, no QoL features.. none of my skins I’ve purchased/earned it just feels like a game past it’s prime- and that’s NOT a bad thing..

DST has surpassed DS in almost every way imaginable.

Oh wow...some time in 2016 I saw this video

I then remember looking up Don't starve on youtube and watching the forbidden Knowledge trailer. I remember thinking it was cool but I don't really remember looking up any gameplay or...really anything else about it.

A few years past and I think I actually saw some gameplay within that time. Then in 2019 I had the animated shorts pop up in my recommended. And then in late 2019 or early 2020 I caved and bought and Don't starve and then Dst.      

39 minutes ago, Lovely Roses said:

Oh wow...some time in 2016 I saw this video

I then remember looking up Don't starve on youtube and watching the forbidden Knowledge trailer. I remember thinking it was cool but I don't really remember looking up any gameplay or...really anything else about it.

A few years past and I think I actually saw some gameplay within that time. Then in 2019 I had the animated shorts pop up in my recommended. And then in late 2019 or early 2020 I caved and bought and Don't starve and then Dst.      

I remember this back in 2015, I don't actually know how I got into DST, I know I got into DST between 2014-2015, there are a lot of possibilities to how I found out about DST, by this, fran bow, knock knock, the other one I post about, or other 2014-2015 obscure media, but after I found out about it I kinda go to the wiki and use it religiously there was not a single day I'm not using it but also watch a lot of DST fan animation/animatic and Rossimarie and Deathlord CrossDevil since they the only two Thai DST YouTuber before 2019.

We were starting to get worried with my friends that we will lose more and more chances on meeting irl due to school, so on one's birthday in December we decided to buy her a online multiplayer game the other one has found and then i would buy a copy as well so we can play together. 

Few months later quarantine started and it has become our only way of spending time together for like half a year. 

In the meantime, I bought DS and the DLC and played through them in my own time.

Around 2012-2013 when I was really young I first started watching Minecraft vids on YouTube. I also watched videos on other games focused around similar concepts since I found it interesting. Led me to Terraria, and, briefly, Don't Starve. I didn't really understand anything that was going on since I was pretty young but I got to know the characters Wilson and Willow. I also saw a third character with blonde hair and a red skirt whose name I wouldn't know until much later.

Years later, I think around 2016, I found out about the game again. This time I wanted to play it, and I was seriously desperate to. I bought the Android version, despite it not running on my tablet, and then got the Xbox One version of the game. I loved it. Around this time, while browsing the wiki for info I found out about a Don't Starve Together. The concept amazed me, but sadly it wasn't on Xbox One (though it is now, yay). 

Early 2017 I finally got a computer that was exclusively mine, and with it my own Steam account. Don't Starve would be the first game I got (I really wanted to play with mods) and Don't Starve Together would be the second. And I still play it from time to time now, so I'd say it was worthwhile.

Huge thanks to OP by the way for spurring my memory and getting me to find the first let's player I ever watched! I hadn't seen him in 10 years and had attempted (and failed) to find his channel many times before. 

First DST sins and now this! Who's reading my mind! Reveal yourself! Or is it my ideas are just not original enough? 

How I found out about DS was through *Drum roll*               

DanTDM.

That was more then 5-6 years ago now. The game looked magical and actually complete when I was watching the one and only video Dan would ever do for DS and it is available for mobile? I have to buy it. 

And I did, and my god are those memories beautiful. The world was so large and so unique, i remember trying to raid the tallbirds to gather the little gold that I knew existed. I barely survived past day 5 but I was having so much fun!

And then I bought DST for Xbox, I remember being so scared of everything.

And then DST stuck for the next 4 years of my life, I eventually got DS and it's dlc for Xbox too and those were fun.

I don't know why DST attracted me so much. It probably was the art style and how big the game is. Maybe even the constant urge to "rush the ruins" whatever that was. And yes I rushed the ruins and it was the greatest ruins rush of all time. I died from starvation!

Overall DST gets a solid 9/10 from me.

I first heard about Don't Starve several years ago on a podcast ("Video Games Hot Dog/Taco") from people who make another indie game I've played forever ("Kingdom of Loathing"*), but I kinda put the name "Don't Starve" in the back of my brain as a "Huh. That sounds interesting.  I should look into it sometime" thing...then forgot about it for a long-ass time afterwards.  It was only a good while later that I went "Wait!  I watch Let's Plays on YouTube all the time--why don't I look up that 'Don't Starve' thing, see what it's actually like?"

Then I watched Jacksepticeye and Sips' original playthroughs, and by the time I was less than halfway through the latter, I bought the game for myself.  (This is also directly why I didn't die my very first time until the night of Day 36--I already knew all the big noob Not to Do's.)

DST specifically, I heard about from watching people play the beta version, and then I found out when it went OUT of beta from this very forum.

...Notorious

*If you've seen Markiplier's playthrough of "West of Loathing"--same universe, made by the same people.

A person named "Sips" who I had been watching way back, had originally peaked my interest into Don't Starve. Now that I am looking back at the first videos I saw of his, hard to believe that how much time has passed since I was first introduced to DS. 2014! His commentary and the game fit so well together I thought, "Hey why don't I try this game myself?" And now I can't thank him enough for introducing me to this little Indie game that has become so much more now. I can't imagine how different my life would be now if I never saw this game. I really don't know. 

Now for DST, I can vividly remember that I got it through a trade in Team Fortress 2. I traded my Rancho Relaxo taunt for a game that I never would have realized that would change my life forever, getting to play with complete strangers online and making a wholesome experience each time I joined a little server with the maximum space of 6. I can't stress enough how much this game means to me and I could go on and on. Decades from now, no matter what becomes of the series, I'll know that the moments I've had with DS and DST were something that I am very grateful to have experienced. And so, I hope that other people who stumble upon this game give it a chance, because it may just be the kind of game you're looking for. :tranquillity:

I would like also point out that discovering this forum was also quite a pleasant surprise. Apparently I had made an account on here for a while but just forgot about it and never used it, until now. This place has ultimately strengthened my love for DST, seeing its interactive and responsive community, including the devs' end. I really appreciate what a great community this game has and the amount of talented devs and artists behind the scenes of DS and DST. You all really helped make Don't Starve/Together into a game like no other and I am forever grateful.

I came across Ds pocket edition when I was browsing play store, it peaked my interest so I looked it up on youtube saw Markiplier play it.

later purchased pocket edition in 2016 since I didnt own a Pc back then and in 2017 after I purchased a laptop I bought DST on steam, it was my first game on steam.

Made some great friends and memories in it while playing.

Archived