How did you learn about this game?

I read about the game in an issue of a magazine that had gaming as its theme. It referred to Don’t Starve multiple times and the line that impressed me was about how good butterflies are as food and the chance of it dropping a butter  upon death. I thought it pretty fun but eerie and I couldn’t  get it off my mind.  Now as a Wigfrid main I don’t eat butterflies of course. 

My friends from like 2008-2010 and I had gotten back together on Discord after a long time of not seeing each other, partly because of real life and partly because Skype died of being cringe or something. And also because we no longer used the forums where we met, which was for a browser based game that was horrendous and should never rise from the dead because it sucks that much. Stay dead. Forever. Anyway, around July of last year we decided to try to organize a game night. Being an international friendgroup this proved to be... very difficult. In fact, we had to split into two different groups, one for people living in North America and another for the people living in Europe or Asia. Since I don't really have any obligations I was able to join both groups, and the game that the Europe/Asia group decided on playing was Don't Starve Together. Since I live under a rock I never actually heard of Don't Starve, except maybe a blurb or two randomly?

Unfortunately almost everyone in that group hasn't been able to play much in the past several months due to, you guessed it, dreaded real life (ew), so I've been left alone. I've been trying to get the other game group to play it but some of them aren't too fond of the game or they're too busy with life. Which is sad because we were so excited for the Terraria crossover and out of all of us I am the only person who's actually experienced it.

Single player was introduced by a friend very long time ago and I loved the vibe but didn't play much. Then when dst came out another friend told me about it and we decided to try it out together. Helicalipuma and Joeshomocoolstuff videos it what hooked me for good, when I realized how much I didn't know . 

I learned about DS around 6-7 years ago from a youtube channel Don'tStarvePL. I remember watching their content religiously, mostly tutorials. All of the videos are gone at this point tho. I'm not completly sure what drawn me to this game so much (either artstyle or atmosphere) but I never wanted a game so much as back then. Sadly my parents were against buying games online so it was out of my reach. But I was determined, trying to get a pirated copy of pocket edition multiple times, each unsuccesful. I'm surprised I didn't  download any viruses doing that. But after some time other things came and my interest faded. I remember some stuff popping here and there on my yt recommended when Wortox was added. It wasn't until Webber's rework when I finally decided to buy DST and then DS a few months later. Mostly cuz I realized I have my own credit card now and can actually buy stuff. Needless to say, it was worth to wait those 6 years

Archived