Winter's Feast and Wolfgang's Character Refresh Are Now Live!

3 minutes ago, Ohan said:

People keeping bringing up wicker and wx but i feel like thats such an overhyped myth.. am i the only one? those two dont have nowhere near wolfgang’s problem imo (immediate high reward for little cost). 

They seem harmless in comparison to me when you consider what it costs for them to gain access to their powers.

Yeah, I think most people in this community are unanimous on Wx being very bland especially, not completely sure of that though. And Wicker isn't that overpowered. I think Wicker might just get some new books.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Ohan said:

People keeping bringing up wicker and wx but i feel like thats such an overhyped myth.. am i the only one? those two dont have nowhere near wolfgang’s problem imo (immediate high reward for little cost). 

They seem harmless in comparison to me when you consider what it costs for them to gain access to their powers.

I think the thunder book is mostly a cinematic arson tool, and I'm sure even that will have defenders (outside of the WX buff)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Today we have our next character refresh! We also have some new skins and a new short, new streaming drops, and the return of Winter’s Feast!

Don't Starve Together: The Incredible Strongman
Wolfgang always prided himself on his strength, but after an embarrassing mishap reveals his might to be a touch exaggerated, he finds himself eager to accept any opportunity to get stronger… no matter how dubious the source.

Here are the details:

• Instead of being directly connected to his hunger, Wolfgang’s forms are now controlled by a new Might Meter.
    • Filling the Might Meter requires Wolfgang to work out using one of his new craftable items
    • The meter goes down over time and the draining rate is determined by Wolfgang’s Hunger, the hungrier he is, the faster it goes down
  • Wolfgang’s linear values are now constants
  • Wolfgang freezes and overheats faster when in Wimpy form, but slower while Mighty
  • When Mighty Wolfgang can carry heavy items faster. He does not lose Might while carrying heavy objects
  • Mighty Wolfgang works faster when chopping wood, mining or hammering things
  • Wolfgang is a more efficient rower when Mighty
  • His speed no longer changes with his forms
  • Wolfgang’s hunger and health are now at a maximum of 200 regardless of his form
  • Wolfgang sanity rate changes depending on the number of friends and enemies in his company
  • Deals more damage when Mighty and less when Wimpy. Also takes extra damage in Wimpy form
  • Wolfgang can build a Gym Station structure
    • Player will need to use the gym to gain mightiness
    • Players can load the gym with different heavy items to change its effectiveness
    • Consumes hunger as players work out
  • Wolfgang can craft a consumable Dumbbell item to restore his Might on the go. It does not consume hunger and can be used as a weapon

A note about this refresh
When we started these character refreshes, we approached them by saying "This is what we're adding to a character to make people who like that character like them more. We made X more X-like". In this case, we knew (as many players suspected) that Wolfgang was going to need a bit of a nerf. Obviously, that's going to cause some friction, so we approached Wolfgang in a way that would focus his role and improve on the character fantasy rather than just doing what he already did but better. The result is a character that is more specialized and focused on being "The Strongman" both in and out of combat. We're still certainly keeping an eye on feedback, but we'd like you all to give it some time and let us know what you think. 

New Skins!

mm2.pngwolf1.png

Wolfgang Deluxe Wardrobe ($10.99): Including the new "The Incredible Strongman" skinset.
The Merrymaker Survivors Chest, Part II ($9.99) includes 6 new “Merrymaker” skin sets.

New Streaming Drops!

twitchitem_rabbithouse_yule.png
We're offering a new set of streaming drops over on Twitch.tv. Check out this post for details.

Winter’s Feast Has Arrived!

wintersfeast_2021_flat_02.jpg

• An Uncommon Holiday
    • Winter skins have appeared to get our survivors into the winter spirit, and for a limited time, the chances of receiving a rare gift have been substantially increased!
  • Festive Holiday Attire
    • For the duration of the Winter's Feast event, players will have access to a free set of skins. The Yuletide Overcoat, Yuletide Frock, Jingly Tophat, Gingerbread Chest, and the Plum Pudding Cap.

New Klei Rewards!
Previous year's Winter's Feast twitch skins, the Klaus Cap, and Winter Wardrobe are coming back to the rewards page. As well as the Winter's Feast Lantern. The existing Winter's Feast Lantern is converting to Timeless, and the new Loyal variant is available on the rewards page.

Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! Launches today! We are over the moon (read: manic Sparkle Streaking around the studio) to announce that after two years of development, testing, and updates: Oxygen Not Included: Spaced Out! has launched! 
Check out the post here for details! https://steamcommunity.com/games/457140/announcements/detail/2934625025634551787

And last but not least
We’re getting ready to head out for holiday break soon, and then we’ll be right back to get everybody ready for The Year of the Catcoon event! Have a wonderful Winter’s Feast everyone! 

View full update

When is it coming to consoles? 

35 minutes ago, reallychina said:

Very disappointed, you asked for feedback and got more feedback then ever, added mining bonus that's nice but not a big deal and did not add speed back, not even in wimpy or normal.

You had the right idea with the weights and meter, definitely a good thing and well implemented, but you blew it with the speed removal.

Speed is dead, accept the truth

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 1

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

I thought I'd make a little comment on this because why not.

Ummm, I think there's more to it than that and I think the Klei team also takes creative liberties. 

Wendy was improved upon and she ended up doing both more single target damage and group damage than before. I think this goes a little above sticking Wendy to being Wendy with the addition of the petal debuff. In this rework I think the team focused more on a mechanical approach than what her "fantasy role" is.

We will see if having more of a fantasy role will be enough to make players play him for that instead of more interesting mechanics, especially when Wolfgang isnt a cute girl.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Wolfgang was killed by rework. He became a spooky ghost!

Thank you Klei for making us waste so much time and energy on providing well thought-through feedback to you. Slightly confused why you were asking for it, since you were clearly going to nerf him and change him into a completely different character no matter what we had to say. It seems that you would rather listen to a few people who are just spamming the forum - with a lot of condescension and mockery I might add - instead of those who really play the character and know the game. There was a lot of really valuable feedback provided to you, from a very loyal and active playerbase, but all of it was ignored. That’s unbelievably disappointing and a real departure from the past.

All the best to you,

-Josina

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 5
  • Sad Dupe 5

Okay but when have strongmen been known for being track stars? I seriously do not get all the complaining about the speed removal.

This new rework really emphasizes Wolfgang as a strongman in way more aspects than just fighting: Being able to do basic tasks faster than other survivors, carry heavy-weighted items around like it's nothing, fully utilize piggybacks and marble suits without any of the drawbacks, and not to mention it's just easier to maintain x2 strength without vacuuming up all your food thanks to all the values being linear now.

Having the old speed boost on top of being able to use a marble suit w/o any speed drawback sounds like a bit much. Just utilize what you're given. Seriously just start a marble tree farm and tank bosses with 95% resistance if you're so kneecapped without a little speed.

Edited by GuyNamedChris
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3
  • Shopcat 1
  • Big Ups 3

15 minutes ago, sudoku said:

We will see if having more of a fantasy role will be enough to make players play him for that instead of more interesting mechanics, especially when Wolfgang isnt a cute girl.

Allow me to remind you all that Wendy’s rework actually did explore her fantasy role further, because not only does her core gameplay involve having to take casual strolls through a Graveyard to find and assist the dearly departed.. but she also gains ghostly flowers used in crafting the spiritual potions required in assisting her own dead sisters ghost (man this game can be dark sometimes.. but- it was never a Children's game, which is why it’s Rated 13+)

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Sanity 2

Good evening,

My apologise in advance if this message appear to be disturbing or annoying but I would like to try out a few idea on this Wolfgang improvement. 

First of all, I strongly agree with the approach idea of improving the character fantasy rather than giving him what he already did but better. Fantasy is what draw the player in not how high the damage output a specific character can deal. When I first find out about don’t starve together, the mystery and spookiness is what catch my eye and giving a thought of mini game like a puzzle. Therefore, since Wolfgang has already been known to be the strongest character before wanda update, improving his damage output even more appear to be dulling and too obvious and will definitely become the highest pick rate as evidently shown in wanda update where wanda become the highest picked rate in game, creating a civil war between wanda on server chat log compete for mactusk. As the result, the newer player or newcomer want a walking cane have to rage quit and/or end up griefing the server instead, leading to more new player losing interest in game. 

From my observation, the idea of Pros and Cons of each character have to be balance on a scale. As seen in Wolfgang’s form are balanced on each type, wimpy are more susceptible and vulnerable, in exchange of for more resistance in might form, Lower damage in wimpy and higher damage when mighty. I’m giving Klei an applause on this balance logic. Nevertheless, the idea of high risk high reward can also be apply to Wolfgang. In example, wanda when she is old, she have more damage in exchange for a few hit away from dead. Similar to Wolfgang previously, Mighty form will drain the hunger bar faster than default and wimpy form, result in faster max Hp drain and damage decrease overtime. Therefore in my opinion, the idea of high risk high reward can also be apply for Wolfgang new update here. I will follow up this idea in the following paragraph.

It is understandable of how wigfrid song of battle giving her the ability to sing the war song during combat give an AoE aura of buff to her and nearby teammate, and it only apply a short period of time since it’s just a song, that’s the logic. But for Wolfgang muscle lost rate, it create some conflict. I never seen anyone who can lose that much muscle in a single day, from 2x down to 1x damage output in a day?  Also fighting something like boxing is a type of sport or exercise so it should not drain the muscle bar at all. So personally, I would recommend

- Buffing the duration of the Mighty form (muscle bar drain rate) in exchange for the higher hunger lost rate - a high risk high reward

- And/Or giving him the ability to maintain muscle or reduce muscle drain rate during combat (no gain muscle during fighting - that would be too broken).

As a return of Pros and cons idea, he cannot gain that much amount of muscle in a single day. Again, I never seen anyone who can gain a hugh amount of that muscle in a single day. Not gonna lie, I went gym for 3 months before I can see my muscle lol. So I personally think Wolfgang should not gain that much amount of muscle in a single day too, I don’t have the detail or the balance number in my head but subjective, roughly

- 3 full day on the “boss statue machine” to gain full mighty form. 

Furthermore, the idea of losing sanity when far from teammate is a brilliant idea but i believe that it can be done better. Referring to your Wolfgang animated short ending, he gain a burst of strength and damage output when near Maxwel OR when Maxwel’s shadow creature possess wolfang’s muscle belly. Unfortunately, I am disappointed of how Klei has unsuccessfully delivered that content into Wolfgang rework. Again, apologise if my comment appear to be disturbing but I strongly believe that it can be done better. This is don’t starve together, not don’t starve, so for Wolfgang, some mental support or teamwork or teammate buffing as shown in the vid will be highly recommended. 
 - Adding audience to watch or cheering Wolfgang when he is working out on the bench press will increase speed of muscle gain? Reduce workout speed when no audience in exchange.

- Increase damage output or increase resistance (tankiness) when nearby teammate are low on Hp? 
No additional damage output or even reduced when no nearby teammate are present? Or no one is low on hp? in exchange 

I’m happy with the removal of speed boost on this rework. However if there are some player unhappy with this and threaten to quit DST, I would recommend 

- adding treadmill (the one for hamster). source of fuel is hunger bar (instead of potato sack on bench press) 
- return the 20% speed boost on mighty, no change in default, reduce 15% when wimpy in exchange 

I would like to thanks Klei team for the past time has been working hard and delivered content for me, my friend and overall steam community to play don’t starve together. I wish Klei the best for your game developement career and I will promise to continue support your game as well as my small group of friends. 

Otherthan that, I would be more than happy if there are any need of contact when necessary.

Thanks for your reading,

Kind regards,

Darin K

• Like 1

Lol ever since it came out of beta the cry's are louder than ever but oh well hopefully klei does keep listening

I'd like to point out that the big 3 we're always consider that because before all these reworks their abilities were...... Far more interesting and better thought out then the others, especially since before there wasn't nearly as much content as we do have now. I think as the reworks and updates kept coming out people aren't really caring about their perks since all the new characters and reworks made most characters more unique

4 minutes ago, GuyNamedChris said:

Just utilize what you're given. Seriously just start a marble tree farm and tank bosses with 95% resistance if you're so kneecapped without a little speed.

Tank vs kite completely different. Yet people can't wrap their minds around it

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ohan said:

People keeping bringing up wicker and wx but i feel like thats such an overhyped myth.. am i the only one? those two dont have nowhere near old wolfgang’s problem imo (immediate high reward for little cost). 

I expect both of those characters will get more significant drawbacks, but I also expect they will be significantly buffed. They're really not that great at this point.

Wickerbottom's books are mostly relegated to late game farms that honestly feel more like novelties (sure, she can mass produce blow darts, but no one has ever died due to insufficient blow darts). And she's also the original "perk soup" character. Her design has virtually no coherence to it; it's just the devs throwing a bunch of random perks at her. It just so happened that the perks blew most of the cast out of the water back in the day.

As for WX-78, I hope they go nuts with them. Flat stat increases are the blandest perk you could possibly come up with for a robot character. They are definitely nerfing their ridiculous stats, which I don't think a lot of people will miss tbh, and they might or might not change how overcharge works. (Chances are The End Is Nigh is getting scrapped and WX will gain a more reliable method to get overcharge.) There might be some backlash from people who use him to ruins rush I suppose, but it'll be nothing compared to this.

• Like 7
  • Big Ups 1

57 minutes ago, Ohan said:

People keeping bringing up wicker and wx but i feel like thats such an overhyped myth.. am i the only one? those two dont have nowhere near old wolfgang’s problem imo (immediate high reward for little cost). 

the problem with wx is that eat gear which is bad for pubs and boring imo

edit: they should make wicker op with a interesting downside

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

I expect both of those characters will get more significant drawbacks, but I also expect they will be significantly buffed. They're really not that great at this point.

Wickerbottom's books are mostly relegated to late game farms that honestly feel more like novelties (sure, she can mass produce blow darts, but no one has ever died due to insufficient blow darts). And she's also the original "perk soup" character. Her design has virtually no coherence to it; it's just the devs throwing a bunch of random perks at her. It just so happened that the perks blew most of the cast out of the water back in the day.

As for WX-78, I hope they go nuts with them. Flat stat increases are the blandest perk you could possibly come up with for a robot character. They are definitely nerfing their ridiculous stats, which I don't think a lot of people will miss tbh, and they might or might not change how overcharge works. (Chances are The End Is Nigh is getting scrapped and WX will gain a more reliable method to get overcharge.) There might be some backlash from people who use him to ruins rush I suppose, but it'll be nothing compared to this.

Wx hasn't been relevant in a long time I feel like. The big three pretty sure it was just because wicker was the only powerhouse when it came to producing resources back then she could baby all the noobs with less effort and her synergy with Wx boosted them both up.  Wx was just impossible to die as once upgraded and overcharged (back then overcharge had no limit either lol).  Wolfgang was cause he was Wolfgang.

I still miss him everyday...................spider-man-spider-man-web-of-shadows.gif.04aa6ac46a399ee432420850aaefabee.gif

• Big Ups 1