Winter's Feast and Wolfgang's Character Refresh Are Now Live!

59 minutes ago, Dr.Medic said:

so is this a hint of a future maxwell rework? where he can absorb things?

First he giveth then he taketh away. Inb4 Maxwell can give Wolfgang (and others) his speed for a limited time among other characters specific buffs.

Like BERNIE without Willow having to be insane, Wanda's group teleport without losing gems, Wormwood's bloom lasting longer, Woodie forms having less sanity/hunger penalties. But that would be a lot of work thinking and implementing something specific for each character so I doubt it, specially if they rework him before Wilson, WX and Wicker.

Edited by Sweaper
  • Like 3
  • Wavey 1

51 minutes ago, Jason said:

A note about this refresh
When we started these character refreshes, we approached them by saying "This is what we're adding to a character to make people who like that character like them more. We made X more X-like". In this case, we knew (as many players suspected) that Wolfgang was going to need a bit of a nerf. Obviously, that's going to cause some friction, so we approached Wolfgang in a way that would focus his role and improve on the character fantasy rather than just doing what he already did but better. The result is a character that is more specialized and focused on being "The Strongman" both in and out of combat. We're still certainly keeping an eye on feedback, but we'd like you all to give it some time and let us know what you think.

It's an excellent approach. There is probably no straight way to make a hard hitting and beefy character who also excels at running compared to every other character to engage in meaningful boss fights, simply because it makes the bosses trivial (it would feel odd if one character could trivialize most bosses simply because). This feels like a healthy design choice in the long run.

And that animation was... wow... unexpected.... in a good way! Thank you for your hard work and efforts, Klei! <3 It paid off!

• Like 2
  • Health 2

1 minute ago, iapetos45 said:

The biggest shock is there is no Merrymaker Survivors outfit for Wolfgang. So disappointed. Why do you hate him so much?

it's not a hate, it's mercy, look at wurt's and wormwood's skins lol

Just now, Skull said:

Nice update.

So, Wolfgang was the reason Maxwell/William Carter survived the train crash? Is that right?

yeah, so now we can say that if wolfgang just left no one would be trapped in a constant

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Dr. Safety said:

mmm yes. Finally a skin for the 

B O U L D E R

image.png.f11716318553113f1599e3f9dfb68d39.png

I was really hoping that I would be able to pick up and “Yeet” these things at enemies (they would break apart just like mining them after a few uses) it would make them having a Skin make more sense: and in literally several vigenettes Wolfgang is carrying several Mid-Sized (Mainly Giant Crops and Antlion Boulder) large items in front of him in his hands.. and not on his back: Klei said they would be open to feedback on him- so I present my reasonings here: 

DA559895-3E69-4098-A00C-0EEDECF984EE.thumb.jpeg.7a3f962b9382d1647f5e8cfe153803b1.jpeg

And once again Here:

362A3505-1B69-4B50-BF98-195D12C64C28.thumb.png.8ae5dc8f12f7a6e8d2ccd0af1c5c9e02.png

he is casually carrying these items In front of him.. and I would absolutely love for that to be incorporated into actual gameplay by letting Large crops & Antlion Cave boulders be casually carried in his arms in front of him (while still wearing the Backpack)

When I request features for a character (and because I myself am a story writer..) I try not to request anything ridiculously far fetched and too far removed from who I see those characters portrayed as in their Artwork & Animated shorts.

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

A note about this refresh
When we started these character refreshes, we approached them by saying "This is what we're adding to a character to make people who like that character like them more. We made X more X-like". In this case, we knew (as many players suspected) that Wolfgang was going to need a bit of a nerf. Obviously, that's going to cause some friction, so we approached Wolfgang in a way that would focus his role and improve on the character fantasy rather than just doing what he already did but better. The result is a character that is more specialized and focused on being "The Strongman" both in and out of combat. We're still certainly keeping an eye on feedback, but we'd like you all to give it some time and let us know what you think. 

Thanks for the transparency on this, Klei. Clearly I am not a fan if you saw my other posts, but it's great to hear this from you.

One last request on the transparency and communication -- it would be great if in the upcoming roadmap or at least before reworks like WX that you could tell us what to expect so that we aren't disappointed when the rework comes. Actually, it would just be great to hear the team's current thinking on characters like WX regardless of the direction which the rework will take.

Thanks and happy holidays!

• Big Ups 1

2 minutes ago, Eughstein said:

it's not a hate, it's mercy, look at wurt's and wormwood's skins lol

I guess art is subjective but this is the most beautiful Wormwood has ever been inimage.thumb.png.47641dba5fa462d0567d4cb6ecf1cf86.png my  opinion. As for Wurt, I this it he Wurt-est she's ever been, unlike most of her other skins that transform her into other species. I do like having some skins close to the default look of the characters. And besides, Wickerbottom and Wanda skins are simply perfect.image.thumb.png.6ceab80beb8ff24960335f25609af595.pngimage.thumb.png.2b12d0e43e2b0ad4f501d81b5adbb60a.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, BezKa said:

image.thumb.png.e17df34f92eda1856df7cf82e97d71e2.png

image.thumb.png.333e1f44b59691edeeafa448c7d73f79.png

The fully bloomed version is really pretty :love-struck: the body and arms/legs are beautiful throughout, i love the lil shoes and the red petal hands (a fav feature of mine in his roseate skin too). 

When out of bloom his head kinda looks unnaturally small though :lol: probably mostly because of how skinny the stem holding the flower is in comparison to base wormwood. 

But i can see how a smaller head was needed to fit the fully bloomed look better, which is gorgeous.

Happy Winters Feast! :wilson_love:

• Like 2
  • Health 1