Winter's Feast and Wolfgang's Character Refresh Are Now Live!

I don't pretend to be as big a DST player as most folk here but I've several hundred hours of mainly (solo) Wolfgang and I've been really looking forward to this rework. For the most part, I love it. I like to roleplay and the workout mechanics give Wolfgang some fun depth.

My main issue to be honest is the fact that hunger still has an influence on mightiness. I'm happy with having to work out to gain the mightiness. But the fact that mightiness goes down faster if I'm hungry means we've gone from having to worry about just one variable (and that was already difficult enough, since it was hunger) to two.

I'm fine with mightiness and working out causing hunger to drain faster. It makes sense. He works out, then he's hungry. I can appreciate that this is a necessary cost for the power he gains, so I've got no problems there.

My problem is that I don't think hunger should affect how long mightiness lasts. I would much rather there be a constant cooldown from pique mightiness and not have to keep eating baked potatoes every minute to try and make mightiness last as long as possible. That way, I can plan expeditions accordingly and not feel like I need to trek back to my base every two minutes to eat some food.

Just my two cents.

Also I think being able to pick up/ throw boulders is a swell idea, though I understand the problems/imbalances this could cause.

Edited by GuyGadot
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, GuyGadot said:

snip

I think you are overestimating the impact of hunger on might drain.

So long as your Hunger does not fall below 100, your Might will drain at the "normal" 1.0x rate. (Keeping Hunger above 150 will only reduce that to 0.90x, which is only ~40 more seconds of Might.) 

Because Wolfgang now has a standard 1.0x hunger drain, it takes more than a day to go from 200 to 100 Hunger, so there's no reason to keep gorging on food. At least, not anymore than Wilson.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, GuyGadot said:

But the fact that mightiness goes down faster if I'm hungry means we've gone from having to worry about just one variable (and that was already difficult enough, since it was hunger) to two.

you only need to keep your hunger above 75%,if im not wrong, to slow down the meter drop

taking care of 2 meters makes the gameplay more complex without the need of adding complicated or so complex things

• Like 1

The fires of this war have convinced me that I want to take my spider-infested world, clean it up a bit and reign in the warriors to not-murdering-anyone-that-isn't-Webber numbers, and go try out new Wolfgang. See how he feels now to someone who previously hated his completely boring gameplay of stuff yer face and kill things.

I do have a LOT of boulders underground that I wanted for decoration on the surface. 

On 12/22/2021 at 4:51 AM, GuyGadot said:

My problem is that I don't think hunger should affect how long mightiness lasts. I would much rather there be a constant cooldown from pique mightiness and not have to keep eating baked potatoes every minute to try and make mightiness last as long as possible. That way, I can plan expeditions accordingly and not feel like I need to trek back to my base every two minutes to eat some food.

Old Wolfgang needed to eat more than new Wolfgang though

Merry Christmas folks! 

Since it's the holidays, I got the chance to test out the re-worked Wolfgang a bunch in random pubs with an experienced friend. Midway through the exploring the map through Autumn, one of us casually mentioned that we're both basically playing Wes. And I just stopped for a minute as the realization hit me. Since the 2nd day of autumn, we have basically been stuck on wimpy wolfgang (aka. Wes 2.0) since the start of the game. There were some instances where I contemplated lifting dumbells from 0-25 to get to normal and fight spiders, but then I realized it's faster to just hack at them with a -20% dmg axe. Plus, I'm gonna go back to wimpy in less than a minute anyways. So we both stayed Wimpy for the majority of Autumn before we finally spent one whole day stuffing face and using the potato gym to kill Dragonfly on the last days of autumn, thereafter quitting the game.

- At no point did we think to throw the dumbell for morsel and feathers, because that requires mighty form and waay to much time potato-ing around.

- Also, I'm an idiot and forgot that working out drains the hunger meter. So one time I thought it'll be cool to test out the chopping/mining efficiency and built up 100 mightiness with the gym in base. When I got 10 tiles away from base, I reverted to normal form and facepalmed.

- We had a new Wolfgang in our public server who just sat around base working out and eating and working out and eating. Probably too afraid of wandering too far in case he loses mightiness.

- Thought we'd see more Wolfies in public servers to test the update - probably saw 1 or 2 per 12 pax public server. 

- We did use marble suits for the Dragonfly fight. To tank, ironically (who would've thought).

- When asking my friend how her experience was playing Wolfgang, her answer was - "I'd rather play Wendy" :D 

Thoughts:

1. Maintaining even normal form is too tedious - especially in the early game or when doing lots of exploring. One suggestion is to lower the threshold to hit Wimpy (maybe 10?) so it's easier to revert to normal after wimpy for quick spider/hound fights. As it is, Wimpy is basically the default Wolfgang form. 
  2. We spent an entire Autumn day to build mightiness with the basic gym - we both have to take turns because we didn't want to waste resources on 2 gyms and one ended up less swole and more irritable at the end from the waiting - which I have to say, mirrors a real gym experience! Perhaps there's a way to let multiple Wolfgang's use the gym together? 
  3. To be fair, a gym with boss statues is pretty good at increasing mightiness, but i doubt newer players will be able to get these early on. Especially if all they do is eat and workout all day.
  4. At the end of the day, "I'd rather play Wendy", sums up the experience. There's barely enough perks on wolfgang that justify the high maintenance costs, as opposed to other characters that get their perks by don't get gimped by default. So why play him?  
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sanity 1
  • Big Ups 1

On 12/16/2021 at 11:37 AM, Jason said:

The Year of the Catcoon event!

I can’t believe this. In the lore of the Chinese zodiacs (yes I know this stuff) the cat never got a year because the rat betrayed them, which is also the zodiacs way of explaining why cats hate rats. This also upsets me because it was a missed opportunity to add the tiger shark and shark kitties. *visible anger at loss of shark kitten*

• Sanity 1
  • Shopcat 1

35 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

I can’t believe this. In the lore of the Chinese zodiacs (yes I know this stuff) the cat never got a year because the rat betrayed them, which is also the zodiacs way of explaining why cats hate rats. This also upsets me because it was a missed opportunity to add the tiger shark and shark kitties. *visible anger at loss of shark kitten*

On one hand I agree with you but on the other I feel catcoons deserve some love. They don't really have a lot going on for them and they're too cute to be left as is.

The loss of sharkittens is pretty devastating though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1